Value of: Valeri Nichushkin or Jake Virtanen to the Calgary Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
More than we want to pay. These two won't garner fair offers given their current situations, and their respective clubs would likely be better off seeing how they pan out than trading them for a collection of lesser pieces.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm really not into Nichushkin, I don't think he will wind up much more than a scoring third liner.

Virtanen is interesting as a power forward rw, but trading with a direct rival probably kills any fair value offers.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
More than we want to pay. These two won't garner fair offers given their current situations, and their respective clubs would likely be better off seeing how they pan out than trading them for a collection of lesser pieces.

This sums it up. Dallas is fine waiting with Nichuskin and would rather wait him out. Others think he can be had cheap because he isn't a 50 point winger yet.

There is nothing that you can offer that Dallas would consider fair

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nichushkin

For

Poirier
McDonald

---

Virtanen

For

Calgary 1st 2017
Andersson
Kylington

I don't see either team(s) going for it, just a "what would it take" response.

So you go from a slightly more proven nhl player for a rookie who had a down year and our best G prospect, to a rookie some have plenty of doubts about for our first and two of our best defence prospects?

Like I said, I imagine that Vancouvers costs would be higher because of rivalry, but come on.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I would have interest in Virtanen. Having him and Ferland would be nuts in the playoffs.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
So you go from a slightly more proven nhl player for a rookie who had a down year and our best G prospect, to a rookie some have plenty of doubts about for our first and two of our best defence prospects?

Like I said, I imagine that Vancouvers costs would be higher because of rivalry, but come on.

I don't think that Vancouver would "gift" Calgary a former top 10 pick who's NHL ready. Besides, I didn't ask the question.

What would you pay for him?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't think that Vancouver would "gift" Calgary a former top 10 pick who's NHL ready. Besides, I didn't ask the question.

What would you pay for him?

There's a difference between gift and trade. I don't know what I'd pay, but as I said, their second or third best forward prospect isn't worth our two best defense prospects and a first. Ridiculous math even for rivals.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
There's a difference between gift and trade. I don't know what I'd pay, but as I said, their second or third best forward prospect isn't worth our two best defense prospects and a first. Ridiculous math even for rivals.

Virtanen isn't a prospect, He's an NHL player.

To be frank, I don't like him that much.

Calgary's 1st in 2017 is very unlikely to be a lottery pick. I'm looking at between 15-20. They've improved.

Their two best defensive prospects and a mid 1st for a player drafted 6th overall in 14 and is contributing in the NHL today. Not to mention he's a PF, a very niche group of players.

Factor in the division, and yeah, thats what I believe it would cost.

Now go back to my proposal and read what I said.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I love Virtanen and I hope he'll be part of the yearly Benning-Treliving special. I think he'll be a real solid top 6 wing for a long time.

I'd love to send Brouwer off in a package for him, since Vancouver seems determined to go for playoffs, they can use more vets maybe idk.

Something like:

Brouwer@50%
Tyler Wotherspoon (obligatory Weisbrod pick)
Cgy 2nd (Benning loves (trading away) his 2nds)

for Virtanen

Van gets the player who Benning would probably think is better today, Calgary gets another young guy to grow with the core.

Can you imagine a Tkachuk-Bennett-Virtanen line if they all live up to the pre-draft hype? (they won't). obviously this trade is ridiculous and unfair, but I could see Benning doing it.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I love Virtanen and I hope he'll be part of the yearly Benning-Treliving special. I think he'll be a real solid top 6 wing for a long time.

I'd love to send Brouwer off in a package for him, since Vancouver seems determined to go for playoffs, they can use more vets maybe idk.

Something like:

Brouwer@50%
Tyler Wotherspoon (obligatory Weisbrod pick)
Cgy 2nd (Benning loves (trading away) his 2nds)

for Virtanen

Van gets the player who Benning would probably think is better today, Calgary gets another young guy to grow with the core.

Can you imagine a Tkachuk-Bennett-Virtanen line if they all live up to the pre-draft hype? (they won't). obviously this trade is ridiculous and unfair, but I could see Benning doing it.

Calgary would be making a big long term mistake by trading a recently signed UFA.

Future UFA's won't want to sign there IMO.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Calgary would be making a big long term mistake by trading a recently signed UFA.

Future UFA's won't want to sign there IMO.

I know the optics aren't good (and I think he has an NTC anyways) but goddamn is Brouwer's contract horribad. BT has made all these good moves, and he goes and pulls this. It's not quite Bolland or Clarkson bad but I certainly expect him to bought out before this contract is over.

I'm hoping he turns into a 50 point 1st line crash/banging power forward though.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I know the optics aren't good (and I think he has an NTC anyways) but goddamn is Brouwer's contract horribad. BT has made all these good moves, and he goes and pulls this. It's not quite Bolland or Clarkson bad but I certainly expect him to bought out before this contract is over.

I'm hoping he turns into a 50 point 1st line crash/banging power forward though.

Well hope in one hand and **** in the other. See which fills up faster.

EDIT: I look at most ~30 UFA contracts as not being worth it. Unless you get "that player" that sends you over the top. Most, almost all, become dead cap space.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

I get that pretty much all UFA contracts are bad, but Brouwer's was universally considered once of the more palatable contracts signed.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Tough to gage Virtanen's worth.

He had a super strong 2 months in the NHL where he led the Canucks in scoring chances.

But he had some pretty bad months as well

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
For Virtanen, we wouldn't trade him unless it was overpayment. I could see a deal around Tkachuk or Bennett for him - that's how valuable he is to us (plus the whole division rival aspect to it). Maybe Virtanen+ for Hamilton too.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Exactly this.

The Canucks aren't looking to move Virtanen. He's one of the handful of good young pieces they've managed to acquire so far in the rebuild (and he can help them right now, which is also a priority - his physicality and speed is in dire need in Vancouver right now). So unless a team were to come in and knock their socks off with a value comparable to the 6th overall pick originally invested in Virtanen and a darn good reason to make the swap...they're better off just keeping him and continuing to see how he develops.

Which means, we're talking an ask like Matthew Tkachuk. Which obviously the Flames would scoff at and certainly wouldn't do, but that's the sort of conversation if you want to trade for a piece like Virtanen. He's not a guy who is out there in the garage sale with an "obo" pricetag. :dunno:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Nichushkin

For

Poirier
McDonald

---

Virtanen

For

Calgary 1st 2017
Andersson
Kylington

I don't see either team(s) going for it, just a "what would it take" response.

That gives Dallas nothing. Rather keep the guy who is already in the NHL and has a higher ceiling

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Virtanen isn't/shouldn't be available, we need what he can be. I don't see a fair trade with him from a Canucks point of view, having a young potential power forward with his skill set, speed and grit is exactly what we need.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
We finally get our hands on a power forward, I don't think we'll be itching to deal him. Guys who play like Virtanen often take longer to hit their full stride. Bert didn't develop fully until he was 25/26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad