WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am just going by standings now, and obviously trades will change some of this....as well as players maybe on minor league playoff rosters as well.. There will be more players to choose from, but I left some of the playoff bubble teams out as I didnt want to add too many players that might not be coming...

I doubt many Olympians will play for the US here, as there season is already long enough, but I will add all eligible Americans just for giggles.. so far the squad could look pretty solid, but as usualy the goaltending is weak..

Defense

Joe Corvo
Tim Gleason
Tom Gilbert
Keith Ballard
Erik Johnson
James Wisniewski
Zach Bogosian

HM: Ryan Whitney, Ron Hainsey, Matt Smaby, Taylor Chorney, Jeff Finger, Jack "Mother ****ing" Hillen

Forwards

Phil Kessel
Lee Stempniak
Erik Cole
Kyle Okposo
Rob Schremp
David Booth
T.J Oshie
Bobby Ryan
Dan Sexton
Ryan Malone
Patrick O'Sullivan
Ryan Potulny
R.J Umberger
Derek Stepan or Jordan Schroeder---if they turn pro...

HM: Jason Blake, Mark Parrish, Todd Marchant, Jeff Halpern, Brad Winchester, Chris Clark, Richard Park, Christian Hanson, Yan Stastny

Goaltending

Ty Conklin
Scott Clemmenson
Rick Dipietro-----not sure if he is coming back unfortunately
Robert Esche

HM: ummmmmmm, dont have any :help:

I only used these teams to predict this, so there will be others to choose from when the playoff race gets set, and even a player or two after a first round knock out:

Toronto
Carolina
NY Islanders
Florida
Minnesota
St Louis
Anaheim
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Edmonton
Columbus

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It'll be interesting to see how USA Hockey approaches this tournament. For starters, who is going to make up the management group? Second, what is the goal for the tournament? Is it to win or is it to prepare some more of the young guns for big time national team duty in the near future? With the news last year that there's going to be a World Cup in 2011, there's not a lot of time between now and when some of these new guys may have a chance to play on the big stage again.

It'll be interesting to see how any of the guys available from the Olympic team approach it. Do they look at it as a shot at redemption or do they want the time off?

Depending on who's available, I'd try and build a young team with a few veterans sprinkled in, much like our Olympic team. Take guys like Bogosian, Okposo, Oshie, and Booth and hand them the reins of the team. Play them a ton. And see how they react. This could also apply to some the young guys from the Olympics that may be available if they choose to play like EJ, Kessel, Ryan as well.

I really hope one of the young US goalies (Howard or Quick) is available as well to play in that #1 spot and play a lot.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
My Team right now:

Goalies (x3):

Jimmy Howard (starter)
Robert Esche
Ty Conklin

Defenseman (x7):

Erik Johnson - Zach Bogosian
Ron Hainsey - James Wisniewski
Keith Ballard - Jack Hillen
Tom Gilbert

Forwards (x13):

Bobby Ryan - TJ Oshie - Phil Kessel
David Booth - Brandon Dubinsky - Kyle Okposo
Patrick O'Sullivan - RJ Umberger - Lee Stempniak
Ryan Potulny - Jeff Halpern - Chris Clark
Patrick Eaves

Head Coach: Scott Gordon
Assistant Coach: Todd Richards

This is based on the current standings. The availability of some of these guys will obviously change. I also assumed that the young guys like EJ, Ryan and Kessel would all play again but that some of the other eligible guys would not such as Drury, Callahan, Backes, Malone, Gleason, Rafalski and Whitney wouldn't for various reasons such as wear and tear, age, and family obligations.

There will obviously be more guys available after the first/second rounds are over that would be more desirable than some of the above listed. I'm also not opposed to bringing along a guy like John Carlson (if available but not likely since Hershey is so good).

The US management group really should use the outdoor game against Germany (with over 70K in attendance) as a strong selling point to a lot of these guys to come play.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
My Team right now:

Goalies (x3):

Jimmy Howard (starter)
Robert Esche
Ty Conklin

Defenseman (x7):

Ron Hainsey - James Wisniewski
Keith Ballard - Jack Hillen
Tom Gilbert

Forwards (x13):

Bobby Ryan - TJ Oshie - Phil Kessel
David Booth - Brandon Dubinsky - Kyle Okposo
Patrick O'Sullivan - RJ Umberger - Lee Stempniak
Ryan Potulny - Jeff Halpern - Chris Clark
Patrick Eaves

Head Coach: Scott Gordon
Assistant Coach: Todd Richards

This is based on the current standings. The availability of some of these guys will obviously change. I also assumed that the young guys like EJ, Ryan and Kessel would all play again but that some of the other eligible guys would not such as Drury, Callahan, Backes, Malone, Gleason, Rafalski and Whitney wouldn't for various reasons such as wear and tear, age, and family obligations.

There will obviously be more guys available after the first/second rounds are over that would be more desirable than some of the above listed. I'm also not opposed to bringing along a guy like John Carlson (if available but not likely since Hershey is so good).

The US management group really should use the outdoor game against Germany (with over 70K in attendance) as a strong selling point to a lot of these guys to come play.

Going by current standings, this is probably the sexiest thing on hfboards right now:

Bobby Ryan - TJ Oshie - Kyle Okposo
Jimmy Howard

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I dont think there is a doubt about it, this team is Scott Gordon's to run....we know Ron Wilson has done his tour, and Gordon who is a young aggressive coach, would be perfect for what this team will be bringing to Europe.

I doubt Tortorella would be a part of this as well, but you never know....

I always throw Tony Granato's name out there as well, he usually does a lot of good things with USA Hockey, and you could do much worse then him as an Assistant Coach imo...

I am hoping for a balanced team with youth and some experience...we have a wonderful run going so far, U17, U18 (reigning champ, we will see in 2 months) WJC, and a silver for the big show....I want a medal for this one as well, lets hope most of the boys answer the call and continue a great year and a half run for USA Hockey..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Going by current standings, this is probably the sexiest thing on hfboards right now:

Bobby Ryan - TJ Oshie - Kyle Okposo
Jimmy Howard

If we could get a Jimmy Howard for this team, that imo would be the best thing we could ever do...our faults usually always lie in goaltending for these tournaments, and usually a young defense as well, if we could get Howard, Conklin, and Esche...I would be absolutely stoked!

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
If we could get a Jimmy Howard for this team, that imo would be the best thing we could ever do...our faults usually always lie in goaltending for these tournaments, and usually a young defense as well, if we could get Howard, Conklin, and Esche...I would be absolutely stoked!

im guessing howard makes the playoffs... also scratch stempniak and halpern off your team

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it's going to be a real challenge to sell this tourney to the NHLers from the U.S. and Canada this year. My guess is, for the U.S. at least, it will be an extremely young roster. It's possible the brass could sell this as an audition for the World Cup next year, but I'm not sure how much appeal that has. Who I think would looked at:

Goaltenders (x3):

Scott Clemmenson
Robert Esche
Ty Conklin

Defensemen (x7):

Tom Gilbert-Erik Johnson
Jack Hillen-James Wisniewski
Keith Ballard-Matt Niskanen
Matt Gilroy

Forwards (x13):

Ryan Callahan-Brandon Dubinsky-Kyle Okposo
Brian Gionta-Scott Gomez-David Booth
Phil Kessel-R.J. Umberger-Bobby Ryan
Chad Larose-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Patrick O'Sullivan

Passable goaltending, weak defense, and an interesting forward core.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think it's going to be a real challenge to sell this tourney to the NHLers from the U.S. and Canada this year. My guess is, for the U.S. at least, it will be an extremely young roster. It's possible the brass could sell this as an audition for the World Cup next year, but I'm not sure how much appeal that has. Who I think would looked at:

Goaltenders (x3):

Scott Clemmenson
Robert Esche
Ty Conklin

Defensemen (x7):

Tom Gilbert-Erik Johnson
Jack Hillen-James Wisniewski
Keith Ballard-Matt Niskanen
Matt Gilroy

Forwards (x13):

Ryan Callahan-Brandon Dubinsky-Kyle Okposo
Brian Gionta-Scott Gomez-David Booth
Phil Kessel-R.J. Umberger-Bobby Ryan
Chad Larose-David Backes-T.J. Oshie
Patrick O'Sullivan

Passable goaltending, weak defense, and an interesting forward core.

This. Sub in Jimmy Howard if the Wings miss the playoffs.

JMFJ 3

Nov 14, 2007
Where are all the LA Kings at? Oh crap, we actually might make the playoffs...

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
:laugh:

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they just axed the whole thing. Just so hard to care about this tournament.

You only say that because you didn't win. You'd care if you won. Aside from the Olympics and the juniors, Canada always cares about a tournament when they win but mysteriously doesn't care about it when they lose.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada

I agree, I think it's going to be hard to convince anyone from either the USA or Canada that played on the Olympic squad to want to play in this tournament. They're probably burned out on international play right now.

I also think it will be hard to convince some of our older players that didn't make the Oly squad (like Gomez or Gionta) to play. A lot of these guys look at the Worlds as a chance to impress the brass that selects Olympic and World Cup teams down the road and for a guy like Gomez, who's ship has obviously sailed in that regard, there's not a lot of incentive to play.

I like the Worlds, I know they don't really decide much (unless Canada wins, then it's Canada's cue to start crowing about how they're the best and hockey is "their sport" again). But it's quality hockey and you get to see some guys who you know have no chance to make an Olympic or World Cup roster represent their country.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am going to update this as some teams have moved up or down the playoff charts....but one thing for certain will be this will be a hard sell to any Olympian, and I doubt many countries will be getting top talent for this tourney. This roster includes all teams currently not in the playoffs...

Here is my new roster:

GOALIE

Ty Conklin
Robert Esche
Scott Clemmenson
Rick Dipietro----not sure if he comes back this year

Defense

Zach Bogosian
Erik Johnson
Matt Niskanen
James Wisniewski
Tom Gilbert
Keith Ballard
Tim Gleason
Ron Hainsey

HM: Whitney, Hillen, Gilroy, and Pothier

Forwards

David Booth
Phil Kessel
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Robbie Schremp
Kyle Okposo
David Backes
T.J Oshie
Chris Higgins
David Moss
Patrick O'Sullivan
Ryan Potulny
Bobby Ryan
R.J Umberger

HM: Derek Stepan, Jordan Schroeder, Chad Larose, Brian Boyle, Ryan Carter, Eric Nystrom, Christian Hanson, Dan Sexton, Mark Parrish, etc

Lines

Bogosian, E. Johnson
Wisniewski, Gleason
Gilbert, Ballard
Niskanen, Hainsey

Booth, Oshie, Backes
Callahan, Dubinsky, Kessel
Ryan, Schremp, Okposo
Umberger, Potulny, O'Sullivan
Moss, Higgins

Conklin
Esche
Clemmenson

Players that are probably too old to play or want to play: Modano, Tkachuk, Chelios, Weight, Drury, J. Blake, Cole, Conroy, Clark, Malone

Overall this team isnt that bad....but we know that we wont get all these guys. I fully expect a young team, but I still think that some of the young Olympians will choose to play. Erik Johnson who missed an entire year of development, IMO, will come and play if the Blues dont make the playoffs. I also see Bobby Ryan and Phil Kessel coming along as well, as both are barely 22 years old. Gleason might be a big question mark, but if he wants to continue to build a good reputation before the World Cup, I think he comes as well. Backes could be a question mark as well as Callahan due to the physical abuse these guys give and take on a nightly basis.

I am fairly confident that David Booth will come on board this time, but that might be more like praying he does, as this team will need him. I would love to see Umberger as well, though he is around 26 years old, he is still very much young enough to still want this experience. We will see what happens, but I hope the Blues, the Red Wings (Howard) and Rangers dont make the playoffs, or else we could really be sending a half assed team.

Last year we all thought that this team would be stacked with everyone available as it was supposed to be an audition for the biggest show on Earth...not only did many turn it down, but I dont know how many cared if it hurt their Olympic chance. Now if this is going to be a Wolrd Cup audition, how many players do you guys think will turn this down when as many did for last years Olympic audition WC team??

Last edited:

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I am fairly confident that David Booth will come on board this time, but that might be more like praying he does, as this team will need him. I would love to see Umberger as well, though he is around 26 years old, he is still very much young enough to still want this experience. We will see what happens, but I hope the Blues, the Red Wings (Howard) and Rangers dont make the playoffs, or else we could really be sending a half assed team.

Given Booth didn't play last time only because he was out of contract, and given he's probably sore about not being able to play in the Olympics, I also am confident he will play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad