United Center planning $7B mixed-use district to replace parking lots

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

The owners behind the United Center announced on Tuesday that the parking lots and area surrounding the United Center will be replaced by a $7 billion mixed-use district — a price tag they say would make it the largest private investment in the West Side.

Dubbed The 1901 Project, if approved, the estimated 10-year development would transform the West Side with green space, mixed-income housing, a music hall and more. Construction is planned in seven phases, with the first estimated to start as early as next year.

The first phase is expected to start construction in spring 2025 and would transform the surface parking lots adjacent to the United Center. In February, the Sun-Times had reported that associates of Jerry Reinsdorf spent $44.7 million to scoop up nearby parking lots run by his competitors.

The plan is to construct a parking facility, which would have more than 10 acres of open green space on the roof. Given United Center’s history of hosting events, it could host events at the park. But Savarise said it’s “open” to conversations with the Chicago Park District and their potential role with the park.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I used to live a mile north of there - and not sure about investing $7B in that area. Hope they can pull it off - but this would have been timed better 25 years ago when a bunch of areas in the city were being gentrified. Not sure if the environment is there to do so now.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Development around the UC is long overdue and needed. Will need more information to really give a concrete judgment on the plans, but I like the idea in principal.

Heck, I'm almost in favor of spending that much just to have buildings whose sole purpose is to act as a wind barrier when exiting the UC on a freezing January night.

That being said, I'm always convinced that these ten figure projects always involve significant skimming off the top by multiple parties, and a $7 billion price tag for this doesn't make that conspiratorial outlook of mine seem any less reasonable.

Last edited:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Development around the UC is long overdue and needed. Will need more information to really give a concrete judgment on the plans, but I like the idea in principal.

Heck, I'm almost in favor of spending that much just to have buildings whose sole purpose is to act as a wind barrier when exiting the UC on a freezing January night.

That being said, I'm always convinced that these ten figure projects always involve significant skimming off the top by multiple parties, and a $7 billion price tag for this doesn't make that conspiratorial outlook of mine seem any less reasonable.
Or just ends up being like the Lincoln yards and just never progresses much. If this was done years ago it would have made sense.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Lol of course the first concern of people is "how will I park my car?"

So north american. As if car was the only way to get around in a huge downtown city or even a smart way to do it.
Just to let you know - probably 75% of the fanbase is from the suburbs and there is not a practical way to take mass transit to the United Center. So it's probably a pretty damn good idea to make sure that they have someplace to park if you want them to attend.

And it should be noted that "powers that be" specifically did not allow a Green Line stop (part of the Chicago subway/elevated train system) to be built even though it runs right by the United Center specifically to enable the Bulls/Hawks to maximize their parking revenue.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

So north american. As if car was the only way to get around in a huge downtown city or even a smart way to do it.
Driving there is probably the safest way, it’s not a great neighborhood. At least when I drove to a game there.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And in related news - the Pacific Ocean is a little bit wet! ;o)
Ahh thanks , didn’t realize it was so well known as a bad neighborhood.
As a hawk fan who drove 16 hours for a weekend to see a game, loved the city, didn’t like the neighborhood.
Cars up on 4 wheels, houses with no roofs, people living in the lower floors.
Self serve gas pump, attendant came out and yelled at me to get back in the car, he would pump the gas for us , as it’s not safe he said.
Told us to lock the doors, and recommended only slowing down for red lights.

Hopefully this project cleans up the area.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

What do you know about living in Chicago and getting around the city? I'd love to see you map out how to get there via public transit in a relatively convenient way. Pretend like you're from the suburbs too. From Union Station to the United Center, go ahead.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Ahh thanks , didn’t realize it was so well known as a bad neighborhood.
As a hawk fan who drove 16 hours for a weekend to see a game, loved the city, didn’t like the neighborhood.
Cars up on 4 wheels, houses with no roofs, people living in the lower floors.
Self serve gas pump, attendant came out and yelled at me to get back in the car, he would pump the gas for us , as it’s not safe he said.
Told us to lock the doors, and recommended only slowing down for red lights.

Hopefully this project cleans up the area.
My self loathing let me walk to games! My favorite quote "When you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose!" ;o)

I remember when the Bulls won championships in the 90's and folks there would burn cars! Good times.

BRayne

May 5, 2011
Just to let you know - probably 75% of the fanbase is from the suburbs and there is not a practical way to take mass transit to the United Center. So it's probably a pretty damn good idea to make sure that they have someplace to park if you want them to attend.

And it should be noted that "powers that be" specifically did not allow a Green Line stop (part of the Chicago subway/elevated train system) to be built even though it runs right by the United Center specifically to enable the Bulls/Hawks to maximize their parking revenue.

The Damen Green Line stop opens like next month and this proposal includes a Pink line stop as well.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
The Damen Green Line stop opens like next month and this proposal includes a Pink line stop as well.

Bruins fan here, as someone who is fortunate to be able to take transit to TD Garden and several college arenas(I don't own a car), I've always wondered about those Pink Line tracks just east of the UC. If a stop materializes there, it's about time. Does the "Stadium Express" bus still exist?

SI had an article called "Da Stadium" in 1992, which described the neighborhood then as "brutally impoverished" and said that "Hawks fans are street smart, but Bulls fans are more of the yuppie type."

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Is the area at all safer vs. when Chicago Stadium was there? Worse?

But it still doesn't stop fans from going to night games there, right? Otherwise, I assume incidents around there after games against fans and their cars would be prevalent?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Bruins fan here, as someone who is fortunate to be able to take transit to TD Garden and several college arenas(I don't own a car), I've always wondered about those Pink Line tracks just east of the UC. If a stop materializes there, it's about time. Does the "Stadium Express" bus still exist?

SI had an article called "Da Stadium" in 1992, which described the neighborhood then as "brutally impoverished" and said that "Hawks fans are street smart, but Bulls fans are more of the yuppie type."

It's funny, I'd say the exact opposite now

Reactions: Terrier and Crow

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

But it still doesn't stop fans from going to night games there, right? Otherwise, I assume incidents around there after games against fans and their cars would be prevalent?
I've never felt unsafe in the area around the UC. I park my car on the street a few blocks north and have never had a problem. I looked at 2 apartments in the area and would've had no problem living there, but decided against because there's nothing around there, just empty parking lots.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I've never felt unsafe in the area around the UC. I park my car on the street a few blocks north and have never had a problem. I looked at 2 apartments in the area and would've had no problem living there, but decided against because there's nothing around there, just empty parking lots.

And this is the chicken-egg thing for "safety" folks. Desolate and underutilized urban areas have a tendency to become "unsafe." When you put things in those places that people frequent and use, that changes.

When people go "well I feel unsafe traveling to this location any way other than by car" they typically don't realize that car infrastructure (large, mostly-empty parking lots; overpasses; highways that break up neighborhoods) is exactly what made the area feel "unsafe" in the first place.

In a related note, a few months ago the Flyers and Phillies announced a joint plan to similarly replace some of their endless parking capacity with commercial and entertainment projects.

Reactions: Seedtype

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

It's not DANGEROUS but it's poorly lit and there's just about nothing nearby so when you've got to walk a bit to get an uber or get lucky with a taxi after the game it kind of sucks. It's not in the best neighborhood but there's thousands of people around and I don't think there's been many incidents after a game as far as I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad