Underrated potential late round 2023 Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Who's your underrated later talents for 2023 who deserve a bit more hype?

Here's some of mine that I feel deserve a bit of talk. They aren't the flashiest guys (mentioning them is cool here) but these are some guys who I feel need a slight bit of talk about.

C - Cooper Foster (Ottawa - OHL)
Smart, hard-working forward who already plays like a leader on the ice. Plays somewhat like a Calum Ritchie-lite sort of guy.

RW - Logan Wormald (Lethbridge - WHL)
High IQ player with great hands and a package of tools. Needs to improve his all-around game but the talent is there.

C - David Edstrom (Frolunda - SWE U20)
Strong offensive player who has been outshadowed by talented Frolunda teammates. Very raw but the IQ is there.

RW - Alexander Rykov (Chelyabinsk - RUS 2)
Creative offensive player with smart defensive skills. Looks like a potential middle six forward if he develops properly.

G Noa Vali (TPS - FIN U20)
Plays much bigger than his 6'0 frame, and with a mature approach to the game. Will be a player who teams would hope could continue the trend of talented smaller Goalies.

D - Lucas Moore (Hamilton - OHL)
Smaller defender with a defensive minded game. Knows how to control a game but needs to solidify physicality. Offense has begun to sprout and taking a big step could make him an interesting prospect in the future.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Not sure if underrated, but Albert Wikman is a 6'1 allround defenseman who will play U18's for Sweden. Could be a solid selection in the mid rounds.

Reactions: neelynugs

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I still have a ton of players to watch but I'm gonna try to give some underrated names that caught my eye on multiple occasions. These are player you never or almost never hear about. I think the first 5 will get drafted. I wouldn't expect the last 4 to be, but I'd be happy if they were:

- Petter Vesterheim (Very high IQ two-way center with a goalscoring touch, he's probably my favourite player in the draft to watch. Has looked very good as a third line center for one of the best team in the Allsvenskan every time I've watched him play there.)

- Anton Ohlsson (I liked him when watching Noel Nordh, he's smart and commands the ice with his positioning. He has good skating, can be physical, is good on faceoffs and is generally good at both ends of the ice. Nothing crazy about his production but he still has played in 3 SHL games. I'd consider him with a mid to late pick. I like the entire line of Nordh-Ohlsson-Crnkic in the J20. A young but very fun line.)

- Elias Zimmerman (Huge 6'6 center who has shown nice skills and intelligence whenever I have watched him. He moves well for his size. Quite young for the draft and seems to have started playing in the J20 only recently.)

- Charlie Cerrato (Not talked about too much despite being on the USNTDP but I think he's very good and there's a potential NHL player there. He works hard, is physical, takes very smart decisions with the puck from what I've seen and has surprisingly good hands. I'm curious to see how he does in the NCAA next season.)

- Vojtech Port (The Edmonton Oil Kings suck but there are 3 players that I personally like as mid to late rounders in Port, Miller and the goalie Cunningham. Port is the most interesting of them all in my opinion. He's quite skilled and smooth with the puck and is able to create offensive chances quite well and I think the rest of the team can't follow much of what he's trying to do so I think with time his production could really increase with a better team. He needs to work on his puck management in the defensive zone but he has all the tools and intelligence to improve on that.)

- Endo Meier (Very skilled and confident Swiss kid playing in the U20 Swiss league. He's excellent with the puck and constantly create many offensive chances but he struggles to finish his plays. His shot and finishing ability need to improve dramatically. He's very young for the draft, he plays center and is quite excellent on faceoffs. He doesn't play in a very good league so he's difficult to judge. I don't know how he'd do in a better league but I like what I saw.)

- Philéas Perrenoud (French kid who had excellent production in the Ligue Magnus for a D-1 but has been injured this year except for 4 games. I think he's quite smart but what surprised me the most was just how fast he can be. He looks like he makes no effort and reaches full skating speed in a few strides. I don't think he's gonna get drafted but I'll be curious to see how he does in his D+1.)

- Anton Maryshev (Skilled Russian defenseman but very inconsistent. I like his potential and he has caught my attention multiple times when I watched Spartak in the MHL. He's only 6'0 and these days for a defenseman I guess you need to show a little more to consider being drafted but I think there's something there.)

- Michael Hagens (Not talked about much on the deep Chicago Steel team but he's another smooth and skilled defenseman with nice skating who isn't big (also 6'0) and the production isn't great so I don't know if he'll get drafted but I like what I've seen everytime I've watched the Steel. His brother is talked about a lot more but I think big bro still shows some nice potential.)

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Samuel Barcik. Good size, right-shot D, who played majority of season in top league in Slovakia. All those factors point towards a pick with upside.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
He has slowly been trending up everywhere but my pick is Saskatoon defender Tanner Molendyk. Incredibly smooth skater and smart player with puck. Also his teams work horse and affects everything positively for his team when he is on the ice. It's big difference for them when he is not on the ice.

He has been a first round pick for a while for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr1234

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I don't know where he's ranked but Tom Willander out of Sweden is another I've liked in a few live viewings this year.

Property of Detroit in the 2nd. He hits the M.O. of big, mobile two-way defender Yzerman loves. PLUS he’s a Rogle product.

I still have a ton of players to watch but I'm gonna try to give some underrated names that caught my eye on multiple occasions. These are player you never or almost never hear about. I think the first 5 will get drafted. I wouldn't expect the last 4 to be, but I'd be happy if they were:

- Petter Vesterheim (Very high IQ two-way center with a goalscoring touch, he's probably my favourite player in the draft to watch. Has looked very good as a third line center for one of the best team in the Allsvenskan every time I've watched him play there.)

- Anton Ohlsson (I liked him when watching Noel Nordh, he's smart and commands the ice with his positioning. He has good skating, can be physical, is good on faceoffs and is generally good at both ends of the ice. Nothing crazy about his production but he still has played in 3 SHL games. I'd consider him with a mid to late pick. I like the entire line of Nordh-Ohlsson-Crnkic in the J20. A young but very fun line.)

- Elias Zimmerman (Huge 6'6 center who has shown nice skills and intelligence whenever I have watched him. He moves well for his size. Quite young for the draft and seems to have started playing in the J20 only recently.)

- Charlie Cerrato (Not talked about too much despite being on the USNTDP but I think he's very good and there's a potential NHL player there. He works hard, is physical, takes very smart decisions with the puck from what I've seen and has surprisingly good hands. I'm curious to see how he does in the NCAA next season.)

- Vojtech Port (The Edmonton Oil Kings suck but there are 3 players that I personally like as mid to late rounders in Port, Miller and the goalie Cunningham. Port is the most interesting of them all in my opinion. He's quite skilled and smooth with the puck and is able to create offensive chances quite well and I think the rest of the team can't follow much of what he's trying to do so I think with time his production could really increase with a better team. He needs to work on his puck management in the defensive zone but he has all the tools and intelligence to improve on that.)

- Endo Meier (Very skilled and confident Swiss kid playing in the U20 Swiss league. He's excellent with the puck and constantly create many offensive chances but he struggles to finish his plays. His shot and finishing ability need to improve dramatically. He's very young for the draft, he plays center and is quite excellent on faceoffs. He doesn't play in a very good league so he's difficult to judge. I don't how he'd do in a better league but I like what I saw.)

- Philéas Perrenoud (French kid who had excellent production in the Ligue Magnus for a D-1 but has been injured this year except for 4 games. I think he's quite smart but what surprised me the most was just how fast he can be. He looks like he makes no effort and reaches full skating speed in a few strides. I don't think he's gonna get drafted but I'll be curious to see how he does in his D+1.)

- Anton Maryshev (Skilled Russian defenseman but very inconsistent. I like his potential and he has caught my attention multiple times when I watched Spartak in the MHL. He's only 6'0 and these days for a defenseman I guess you need to show a little more to consider being drafted but I think there's something there.)

- Michael Hagens (Not talked about much on the deep Chicago Steel team but he's another smooth and skilled defenseman with nice skating who isn't big (also 6'0) and the production isn't great so I don't know if he'll get drafted but I like what I've seen everytime I've watched the Steel. His brother is talked about a lot more but I think big bro still shows some nice potential.)

I’m sold on Cerrato as a Draper pick in the 3rd or 4th. I liked this kid’s work ethic. He’s a lot like Red Savage.

Another name that SHOULD be on the draft charts more is Felix Nilsson. This kid is so damn smart and precise with his plays. If he falls to the 2nd I run to make that pick. I think someone gambles on him after #18 or so, though.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Property of Detroit in the 2nd. He hits the M.O. of big, mobile two-way defender Yzerman loves. PLUS he’s a Rogle product.

I’m sold on Cerrato as a Draper pick in the 3rd or 4th. I liked this kid’s work ethic. He’s a lot like Red Savage.

Another name that SHOULD be on the draft charts more is Felix Nilsson. This kid is so damn smart and precise with his plays. If he falls to the 2nd I run to make that pick. I think someone gambles on him after #18 or so, though.
I still have to watch more Nilsson but I liked what I saw :)

I don't think he's that underrated as his name has been thrown around here and there, and for good reason. He hasn't looked out of place with Rögle in the SHL at all.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

Very high on Willander and Nilsson as well.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby Ontario
Conner Punnett in his D-2 has to be either just signed or drafted this year.
GP-64 G-14 A-33 Pt-47 PM-108. 6'0 200
Gritty and talented, has really picked up his game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't seen or even heard about most of these guys. The ones I have, I suspect won't make it to the later rounds.

Tanner Molendyk looks like a first round talent. Reminds me of Weegar the way he controls transition in both directions. Should be no later than the 2nd round.

I've heard some folks say that Tom Willander is the best Swedish D this year, it seems like he'll rise while Sandin-Pellikka and Lindstrom should fall.

Alex Rykov I haven't seen but Hockey Prospect had him top ten.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Dominik Petr!

Was near Eduard Sale and then got injury after injury.. totally derailed. I hope he can get back on track but expect him to go late or not at all. A strong U18 might get him noticed again.

Reactions: czech and Realgud

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH

- Endo Meier (Very skilled and confident Swiss kid playing in the U20 Swiss league. He's excellent with the puck and constantly create many offensive chances but he struggles to finish his plays. His shot and finishing ability need to improve dramatically. He's very young for the draft, he plays center and is quite excellent on faceoffs. He doesn't play in a very good league so he's difficult to judge. I don't know how he'd do in a better league but I like what I saw.)

Charlie Cerrato is a kid that never stops moving on the ice. That’s a good name to being up for a later round pick. He’s quick but just doesn’t have the consistency to convert game after game but he can create turnovers and make some plays w the puck. Fun tidbit on him his dad Vinnie Cerrato was the GM of the Washington Redskins at one point

Reactions: Realgud

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Samuel Barcik. Good size, right-shot D, who played majority of season in top league in Slovakia. All those factors point towards a pick with upside.
What worries me about Barcik is that he’s pretty much the same player he was last season. Hasn’t shown the progress I’d like to see. Especially when it comes to playing with the puck, no matter if it’s on retrievals, breakouts or in the offensive zone, he still hasn’t shown much at all at the pro level and - more importantly - nothing more than last season. Not sure if I’d have him on my draft list.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The BCHL playoffs have started and a few names have emerged recently...they both have had average seasons but have really turned it up in the playoffs.

Parker Murray - son of ex-NHLer Glen Murray. Mountain man of a kid at 6'5, 225. Exploded in the playoffs with 10 goals in 4 games, with 4 in one game. Good touch around the net, needs to REALLY work on his speed. Late '03 so he's an overager.

Ryden Evers - Slick forward who's really taken off in the playoffs. Had the pleasure of chatting with his dad,, and the kid apparently grew 6 inches in a year so he has been off the scouting radar. Good enough to get a scholarship at Nebraska-Omaha. Currently has 9 pts in 5 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad