Value of: UFA Montour

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Florida probably tries to re-sign him but if they win the cup, I can see Montour chasing the money.

What kind of contract is your team willing to give him as an UFA? 30 year old RHD, great skater and yapper. PP1 quarterback with a down year in production due to being injured at the start of the year. Last year 70+ points when he finally got the opportunity to run PP1.

Reactions: horner

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
If he hits the open market, he'll get the larger deal this free agent season.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He seems like a guy who would want to continue to stay in Florida. Even if it means taking a discount.

He's absolutely taken off there and is a key integral part of the team. Not to mention Maurice absolutely loves him

I agree that he won't have the same kind of success if he leaves. The problem is he will have to take a serious discount if he wants to stay with the Panthers. Forsling did it, not sure I see it with Montour.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
What teams want a PP1 RHD other than Florida? Minnesota? They are in cap hell.

If there's no other teams with cap space his market might actually be soft but the comparable is probably the Severson contract (6.25m x 8 or 7m x 7)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What teams want a PP1 RHD other than Florida? Minnesota? They are in cap hell.

If there's no other teams with cap space his market might actually be soft but the comparable is probably the Severson contract (6.25m x 8 or 7m x 7)
He should command significantly more than Severson. Severson has always been a second-pairing usage guy. Montour logs some of the heaviest minutes in the NHL over the last two years. We can debate on team “X”, maybe Montour gets more like second pair ice time but if I’m his agent, there’s little question I am pushing back on a Severson comp…he’s a top pairing guy on a team maybe about to win the Cup.

I’m not saying he’s going to definitely get it, the market as you say will play a part. But I’d certainly want more than the Severson deal if that’s the comp.

I could see him taking less to stay in South Florida though, similar to Forsling.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
6/6.5 as a discount if he stays in Florida. $7+/7 if he goes to market.

I think him and the Cats figure it out. If I'm management I tack on the 8th year for him and continue to ride this wave of short term success. Sure the last couple years won't be pretty, but enjoy the present and cross that bridge when you get there.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Florida probably tries to re-sign him but if they win the cup, I can see Montour chasing the money.

What kind of contract is your team willing to give him as an UFA? 30 year old RHD, great skater and yapper. PP1 quarterback with a down year in production due to being injured at the start of the year. Last year 70+ points when he finally got the opportunity to run PP1.
I like Montour, but maybe last year was an outlier season for him points wise, just like a lot of players.
I'd say ~40-50 points is what's expected from him.

I'm sure he'll be getting a lot of offers if the Panthers can't come to an agreement. Will 100% be getting a large pay increase though.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Canes could use him if we can get him on a 3-4 year deal and jettison Burns into outer-space

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think he is a flawed defensemen and the contract will hurt whoever signs it, but could absolutely see the Leafs being the highest bidder. His skillset, a RHD who can actually move the puck, generate offense, and most importantly run a PP has been on the Leafs wishlist for nearly a decade. He would fit like a glove on a pairing with McCabe.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'd be cautious in signing him long-term and at a high cap hit.
Doesn't matter. Best RD on the market, on a team in the Cup finals, and cap is rising. Lots of demand. You pay up hoping you get 4-5 good years and pray that the last two aren't that bad.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Id think the Red Wings would have a ton of interest if he hits the open market. A lot of teams would.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Seems like Florida is letting him walk, IMO. They typically value players pretty accurately. They'll find the next flawed defenseman and rehab him into a useful player, as they've seemingly done with half their blueline.

Montour is just a bizarre player. He has great skating + size, but his decision making leaves me going, "huh" like 6 or 7 times per game. Whoever signs him at these projected contracts is going to end up pretty disappointed.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Seems like Florida is letting him walk, IMO. They typically value players pretty accurately. They'll find the next flawed defenseman and rehab him into a useful player, as they've seemingly done with half their blueline.

Montour is just a bizarre player. He has great skating + size, but his decision making leaves me going, "huh" like 6 or 7 times per game. Whoever signs him at these projected contracts is going to end up pretty disappointed.

Kind of Trouba-esque . . . but Montour likely will have a ring

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Strangely enough, Montour has likely cost himself some money in these playoffs, even though it’s really not his fault.

After how good he was in last year’s playoff, the Panthers depth on D, really has been the story this playoff.. They’re getting quality minutes from OEL and Kulikov they just weren’t getting last year. They basically played last year with 3 Dmen and Gudas, but he hurt them as much as he helped them. This year, we’re seeing all 6 contribute.

So Montour hasn’t been out on an island, like he was at times last year. Having to take over in many instances.

It’s still likely going to cost him some money though. If they lose him, and they likely will, one name to keep an eye on with Florida, is Shayne Gostisbehere, if he doesn’t stay in Detroit.

Reactions: olli

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
It’s still likely going to cost him some money though. If they lose him, and they likely will, one name to keep an eye on with Florida, is Shayne Gostisbehere, if he doesn’t stay in Detroit.

I think you’ve nailed that guess. Bargain, flawed D capable of PPQB. Maurice and company probably get a few good years out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad