Value of: UFA D - Damon Severson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
What's the price you think Severson will get on the open market should he not come to an agreement with New Jersey prior to free agency? 29 year old RHD but one of the better UFA's potentially available

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
He'll get 6-7 years at 6.5-7.5m per year.

The team that signs him will think he's the best defenseman in the entire league, then the worst defenseman that's ever lived, then the most offensively gifted defenseman they've ever seen, then the biggest brain-fart-prone traffic cone they've ever seen. And that will all be in period 1 of game 1.

I love Damon. I'll miss him, he was a loyal soldier, but the Devils can't/shouldn't/won't be in the market for retaining him. Just be warned that your facebook fans will absolutely f***ing HATE that guy. the real ones will take the "wtf?!" with the good.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

The team that signs him will think he's the best defenseman in the entire league, then the worst defenseman that's ever lived, then the most offensively gifted defenseman they've ever seen, then the biggest brain-fart-prone traffic cone they've ever seen. And that will all be in period 1 of game 1.

I love Damon. I'll miss him, he was a loyal soldier, but the Devils can't/shouldn't/won't be in the market for retaining him. Just be warned that your facebook fans will absolutely f***ing HATE that guy. the real ones will take the "wtf?!" with the good.
Rumour has it the Canucks have interest in him, so that fits right in with the current D structure :laugh:. He would be paired with Hughes on the top pairing most likely in that scenario

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Rumour has it the Canucks have interest in him, so that fits right in with the current D structure :laugh:. He would be paired with Hughes on the top pairing most likely in that scenario
They will be fun to watch. They burn down both the opponents village their village and probably the fire house as well. As posted above that will be in the first period of thr first game.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They will be fun to watch. They burn down both the opponents village their village and probably the fire house as well. As posted above that will be in the first period of thr first game.
So nothing will change with the Canucks blue line

Reactions: My3Sons

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Gonna go to bat for my boy yet again.

Epitome of a defenseman for the NHL in 2023. The lowlights will often look ugly. But he is mobile, great in transition, and has a lot of offensive instincts even if the points have never quite shown it. I’ll miss him dearly.

Anything at 6 or under is a very fair deal for him.

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Would love to see the Pens dump Petry and bring in Severson to replace him. Not sure he deserves more than 6m a year and that seems high. But if there’s not many other RHDs then yeah price goes up

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So nothing will change with the Canucks blue line
Sevs woukd make almost any team better on balance. He is by all accounts a good teammate and cares and wants to play well. The mistakes happen but he was part of a very good team this past season and acquitted himself well. I expect almost all NJ fans will wish him well and most will openly admit they wish he’d stay with NJ.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I don’t know if he gets much more than 6m, his production might prevent from getting more.

He’ll definitely be a very interesting UFA to watch, I’m not sure how GMs will feel about him and what kind of offers he’ll get.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
He is looking at a 6x6 deal in all likelihood. Depending on how desperate a team may get, he could get 7 years and could get as high as $6.5 mil per. But 6x6 is the best bet.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Migod, that sounds exactly like Dumba. Matt is more physical, and edgier, though.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Severson is a wild card. He will break up a 2-1 and then throw an amazing outlet pass for a goal....And then he'll score the OT winner for the other team.

He's getting 6x6 but not from NJ.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Whoever signs him to a 6+M caphit will regret it. You mark my words.
It’s going to happen though. Best case scenario, wherever he goes, they don’t ask him to do too much. Allow him to do what he does well, but he’s not going to carry a Top 4 pair. The Devils overplayed him in that role out of necessity.

If a team plays him right, he can be productive. He’ll be a little overpaid, but he can be a nice player. If a team signs him to come in and carry their D, he will be a huge disappointment.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
It’s going to happen though. Best case scenario, wherever he goes, they don’t ask him to do too much. Allow him to do what he does well, but he’s not going to carry a Top 4 pair. The Devils overplayed him in that role out of necessity.

If a team plays him right, he can be productive. He’ll be a little overpaid, but he can be a nice player. If a team signs him to come in and carry their D, he will be a huge disappointment.
I disagree. I think Severson is perfectly capable of carrying a 2nd pair in the NHL in 2023. His pairing last year (when spending a lot of time with Smith and Bahl, hardly world beaters) showed great results and it's not like they were playing 10 minutes a night.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I remember seeing a devil fan do some research and posting about RD depth in the league and when looking at cap and needs outside of maybe chicago Anaheim and I think Arizona there wasn’t much of a demand for him. He made a good case for a 1-2 year signing in NJ as he just spent his career rebuilding and probably doesn’t want to do it again.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Severson is a wild card. He will break up a 2-1 and then throw an amazing outlet pass for a goal....And then he'll score the OT winner for the other team.

He's getting 6x6 but not from NJ.

He’s an odd player. The metrics paint a pretty nice picture, but the eye test says he’s a guy who makes some very big mistakes. I guess between the big goofs, he’s doing a lot of stuff right, but definitely seems like the kind of player who can drive fans nuts.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He’s an odd player. The metrics paint a pretty nice picture, but the eye test says he’s a guy who makes some very big mistakes. I guess between the big goofs, he’s doing a lot of stuff right, but definitely seems like the kind of player who can drive fans nuts.
He's the kind of player that every mistake he makes seems way worse because they almost always end up in his own net. He's actually quite good in his own end but people will always only see the mistakes.
I truly like Severson and wish they could keep him but it's just not feasable

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
if you catch some jesper bratt highlights, you often see him on the receiving end of touchdown passes down the middle. most of the time severson is quarterbacking him on those plays.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Good top 4 guy that makes mistakes occasionally but they arent small mistakes. Almost always lead to scoring chances in my limited viewing of him.
He would be a decent guy for the Canucks but would prefer Ryan Graves.

I think he gets 6 x 6 but would be more comfortable at 5.5 x 5. Playing alongside Hughes, he probably looks better than he did in NJ this year and this year he looked great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad