UEFA Europa League 2021-22

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
23 shots to 5, 15 chances to 4, 71% possession and yet incapable of creating sitters and unmissable chances against a 5-5-0.
With so much creativity in their roster, it's absolutely disgusting, but perfectly in line with their season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bowen stepping onto Emerson's foot for... nothing but a throwin. Stupidest yellow of the year.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Frankly, that draw flatters Lyon. I don't care how many "chances" (which, exactly?) and long-range shots they had. They created nothing particularly dangerous even with a man advantage. Even their goal took two deflections before falling at Ndombele's feet.

Very confident West Ham would have won that if it stayed even. They should feel good going into the second leg. I'd seriously consider playing Vlasic, even Yarmolenko, ahead of Benrahma.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Frankly, that draw flatters Lyon. I don't care how many "chances" (which, exactly?) and long-range shots they had. They created nothing particularly dangerous even with a man advantage. Even their goal took two deflections before falling at Ndombele's feet.

Very confident West Ham would have won that if it stayed even. They should feel good going into the second leg. I'd seriously consider playing Vlasic, even Yarmolenko, ahead of Benrahma.

...he's ripping on Lyon, not West Ham...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
...he's ripping on Lyon, not West Ham...
Okay? Again, I don't even know which "chances" would be referenced. There was the Dembele chance in the first 10 minutes, the goal, maybe that last header chance. After that...? Maybe a few Ndombele long range shots, but that was how they generated a majority of those 23 shots.

Regardless, that's more a commentary on that West Ham performance. They played well, and despite those shot numbers, they limited Lyon to almost nothing. It's unfortunate that wasn't able to be played even.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
When you buy a red and want to let your friends know:

I'll go to my grave calling that a cheap red bought by a dive, but I'll grant that Cresswell was dumb to put his hand there. Doubt Dembele finishes that chance.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Here's the play, everyone can feel free to draw their own conclusions. I know mine based on the level of contact and Dembele's delayed tumble.

You don't get the full experience without having watched the full half and how often Lyon were looking for the floor, though.

That's on Zouma slowly jogging back without a care in the world. Left Cresswell as the obvious last defender.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
If you can catch a replay of this Barca-Frankfurt match, do so. It's been a wild one.

Seriously? I found it quite boring and annoying. Barcelona didn't show up tonight, there's not one player I was happy with. On the other hand Knauff was really good, not only because of the goal but also his defense, didn't even know he could play as a LWB. Hinterregger also annihilated Auba. Barcelona still has trouble playing when they're not 100 percent focused, and especially against these teams that are very physical and hard-working. It's gonna be a difficult 2nd round.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
:dunno: The Frankfurt fans have been loud on the german broadcast.

They've actually been so loud that I had to change streams after about 10 minutes, I was watching the supersport one and they were louder than the commentator!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Much like Xavi, not happy with today’s performance but I’ll take the result. What I feared would happen has happened and that is that a stupid international break is definitely killed some of our momentum. Someone please tell me that’s the last damn international break before the end of the season. The team definitely had a low tempo again and that’s the exact opposite of what they needed going into this match. They needed sharper movement off the ball and much quicker passing. On top of that the hunting impacts looked more like packs of Chihuahuas than it did packs of wolves.

Anyway, great atmosphere at the stadium the entire 90 minutes. Eintracht really came to play. They very clearly were the better team for the first 57 minutes. They had one really amazing chance during that time and another good one. There another very good chance later on in the match as well. The refs up to them and let them get away with too much at times. That red card could’ve come for the same player sooner than it did and then entire sequence with Kostic could’ve been a pair of yellows. Hinteregger was is the man of the match for me.

With regards to our players, Traore and Gavi needed to take more of the opportunity with that chance. Gavi fought out there, but at times he was a little bit all over the place. De Jong and Dembele coming on both made a difference especially Frenkie. The goal was very nicely worked between he and Torres. Hopefully Xavi is able to rotate some players away to Levante so everyone is more fresh come next week.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As I said last night Lyon should have killed the tie.
Xg West Ham 0.5 Lyon 2.5
Story of their season though. Give up a farcical goal and not bury your chances.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
When you buy a red and want to let your friends know:

I'll go to my grave calling that a cheap red bought by a dive, but I'll grant that Cresswell was dumb to put his hand there. Doubt Dembele finishes that chance.

Nah, it's a red.
It's a dumb tug on his arm and he has every right to go down. If the contact is enough to impair him, break his stride, slightly get him off when he's shooting - it's a foul.

But if he doesn't go down, ref doesn't call it.

There was an incident yesterday in the Chelsea game, Benzema was getting ready to shoot on a sitter, Jorginho slid in and hit his shooting foot - not a big contact, but enough to put him off; Benzema shot, missed and that was it. Had he gone down and grabbed his foot, penalty 100% of the time.
(Benzema doesn't do that though, I respect that about the man)

Anyway, while it was dissappointing (the red card), I can't fault the ref.
It was a clear goalscoring opportunity IMO, Cresswell did tug on him and Zouma just stopped running.
If he keeps going, maybe he's there so the ref thinks twice whether he'd get there in time and then not count it as a clear goalscoring opportunity.

(I'm a West Ham fan btw - well, after Dinamo Zagreb)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's very close. If Zouma had actually run back it's clearly not DOGSO, but since he lazily jogged it was just on the edge. I don't think it should be red, but it's close enough that VAR isn't going to overturn it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Nah, it's a red.
It's a dumb tug on his arm and he has every right to go down. If the contact is enough to impair him, break his stride, slightly get him off when he's shooting - it's a foul.

But if he doesn't go down, ref doesn't call it.

There was an incident yesterday in the Chelsea game, Benzema was getting ready to shoot on a sitter, Jorginho slid in and hit his shooting foot - not a big contact, but enough to put him off; Benzema shot, missed and that was it. Had he gone down and grabbed his foot, penalty 100% of the time.
(Benzema doesn't do that though, I respect that about the man)

Anyway, while it was dissappointing (the red card), I can't fault the ref.
It was a clear goalscoring opportunity IMO, Cresswell did tug on him and Zouma just stopped running.
If he keeps going, maybe he's there so the ref thinks twice whether he'd get there in time and then not count it as a clear goalscoring opportunity.

(I'm a West Ham fan btw - well, after Dinamo Zagreb)
That's the thing, I don't think the contact impaired him at all. He took a beat, and then threw himself down. I agree just optically Cresswell made that an easy call to make - you see a play like that as a ref, the assumption is that any contact was enough to impede the guy.

Felix Zwayer had an awful game, I thought. Just terrible decisions throughout the match and he kept stopping the game for non-head injuries whenever Lyon decided to siesta on the pitch.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Seriously? I found it quite boring and annoying. Barcelona didn't show up tonight, there's not one player I was happy with. On the other hand Knauff was really good, not only because of the goal but also his defense, didn't even know he could play as a LWB. Hinterregger also annihilated Auba. Barcelona still has trouble playing when they're not 100 percent focused, and especially against these teams that are very physical and hard-working. It's gonna be a difficult 2nd round.

I can see why it would be frustrating for a fan, but for a neutral, it was fun action and full of drama.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not looking good for tomorrow for West Ham. Zouma injured at the weekend means a Dawson/Diop partnership, and Diop is terrible. They leaked goals the last time Zouma was out for an extended period.

Cresswell out too with that red card adds another layer screwing up that back line.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Paqueta out for the West Ham game. Not that Lyon has roster problem, it all has to do with what's between their ears.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Aouar and Ndombele start after all the stories during the week about how they were injured and wouldn't start. Bosz resorting to mind games against West Ham is kinda funny.

Ben Johnson having to play on his off-side at LB and with Diop next to him...well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Toko hit the post.
West Ham playing a good old "park the bus with 8 players" and play long balls when you get it back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad