U.S. National Team Thread VI #fireJurgen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anyone else going to MNT v IRL on the 23rd?

Game is in San Diego and I would have gone, but I had a previous trip planned before I found out. Would have been fun to see the men or women's national team, and I could have made an obligatory joke about "championship football team playing in San Diego!"

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Yep, he's absolutely right. It's not even that Jürgen doesn't call in MLS players... it's that their club form doesn't seem to have any bearing on whom he calls in. I get that every coach has their favorites (like Richie Williams on the Bruce Arena teams), but with Jürgen it is particularly egregious.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
We really do have the worst fans in the world.

Phil Baki ‏@bakiBalboa
Dortmund local media giving more attention to Pulisic being on the bench than US media. I hope he goes to Croatia. We don't deserve him.

Yes, because hyping every top prospect to kingdom come before they've done something has worked to perfection in the past. ****ing pro/rel zealots man.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I've heard Pulisic's name mentioned at least a dozen times since the calendar turned over.

The reason Morris is getting so much attention is because there isn't the Adu factor with him, his floor is already good enough to be a solid USMNT player. He hasn't gotten anything near the Zelalem ceiling hype.

Also most of the Morris stuff seems to be coming from MLS-geared media...so of course they're going to talk about him. He's going to be playing a big role on arguably the most popular domestic team...Pulisic's decision affects only the USMNT in that regard, so expecting MLS podcasts to be talking about a guy who has nothing to do with the MLS is a bit off.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
We really do have the worst fans in the world.

Yes, because hyping every top prospect to kingdom come before they've done something has worked to perfection in the past. ****ing pro/rel zealots man.

Responding to the tweet...

Croatia have already approached him a couple times and he doesn't seem to have any interest, his dad is American born as well which probably hurts Croatia's chances too, this isn't some first generation American with immigrant parents pushing him to play for CRO. I assume he probably doesn't have too much connection with Croatia unlike the Euro counterparts from Germany/Switzerland/Austria who can go there at anytime within hours. He does have a Croatian passport though and the Croatian technical director really rates him saying he will be a star

Last edited:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I guess because I was traveling over the past few weeks I missed that Jason Kreis is with the national team right now. Hmm, I wonder what the significance of that is.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I guess because I was traveling over the past few weeks I missed that Jason Kreis is with the national team right now. Hmm, I wonder what the significance of that is.

Hopefully he stays on as an assistant and is Jurgen's successor (sooner rather than later).

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Leroux announces she's pregnant and will miss the Olympics (I had my doubts she'd have made the team anyways). Not really a big loss for the WNT, she's done nothing for over the past year and has been passed by Press, Horan, Dunn, McCaffrey and now probably Pugh.

On a side note though, with Syd as the mother and Dom Dwyer as the father that child has the potential to be the most obnoxious kid ever.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Leroux announces she's pregnant and will miss the Olympics (I had my doubts she'd have made the team anyways). Not really a big loss for the WNT, she's done nothing for over the past year and has been passed by Press, Horan, Dunn, McCaffrey and now probably Pugh.

On a side note though, with Syd as the mother and Dom Dwyer as the father that child has the potential to be the most obnoxious kid ever.

She saw the writing on the wall

Starsfan24

Let's Go Cubbies
Apr 19, 2007
Denton, TX - UNT
www.twitter.com
47Zr4qx.jpg

Olympic Roster. No Engen (Saw that coming) and no HAO.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Why do I think we're rushing Pugh? I realize she's very talented, but in no way do I feel she's ready for the senior level. The midfield and forwards are very, very young, dropping a player like O'Reilly seems really stupid to me. Not like she still isn't making an impact either, I still find her to be more useful than Heath.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
The World Champs deserve better.
A lot of them complain and rightfully so. About pay. About hotel conditions at the NWSL (remember Alex Morgan going off on a rant on twitter about KC hotels). About field conditions. They're world champions. They should literally be sleeping on gold beds.
To some, this behavior may seem diva, but to others, it's just respect.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
The World Champs deserve better.
A lot of them complain and rightfully so. About pay. About hotel conditions at the NWSL (remember Alex Morgan going off on a rant on twitter about KC hotels). About field conditions. They're world champions. They should literally be sleeping on gold beds.
To some, this behavior may seem diva, but to others, it's just respect.

They've got a legitimate gripe when it comes to the fact that they play most of their matches on turf while the MNT never do (they still overblow it, but they DO have a very valid point). The players have a pretty clear case of discrimination there, but instead they decide to harp on the danger of playing on turf, which is dumb because it gives the USSF a simple out (look at any study regarding injuries on turf vs. grass). But spare me on the whole pay thing. If you're on the WNT, you're making a six figure salary, that's before endorsements, not exactly peanuts here. So them crying poverty/inequality doesn't really fly with me. I'm more concerned about the players on the bottom of the totem pole in the NWSL who make less than $10k a year, THEY deserve higher pay, not the players already making a healthy living. That's a place where the WNT players could/should use their power to make a change, but they don't/won't. Probably because it does nothing to benefit them, or their bank accounts. Everything about the NWSL is based around the WNT and everyone else gets thrown aside.... which leads me to this....

.... most of the WNT stars could give a single **** about the NWSL, it's nothing but something to keep fitness before the next WNT camp, or at least they seemingly treat it that way. The fact that the USSF let them get away with their bull after they won the World Cup was awful. The NWSL clubs were told that they'd get their returning WNT players on a specific date, but when that date neared most of the players claimed 'fatigue' and were given extra time off from the federation.... okay fine, that's fair....but they weren't too 'fatigued' to jet around the country making appearances on late shows and award shows while their teammates making next to nothing were fighting for the playoffs and clubs were left to answer questions from upset fans who bought tickets expecting to see the WNT players. Of course, on those said appearances, they had the opportunity to give the NWSL a plug, and of course, they didn't. They instead talked about their upcoming Victory Tour, which (shocker) they would get a cut of the ticket sales from. As for the whole 'bedbug' incident in KC, yes, bedbugs are gross, but they can happen literally anywhere, even at the finest 5-star hotel. Not to mention, Alex Morgan wasn't even there when the incident happened, she only used her power to publicly shame the league about something they really couldn't control.

Yes, I enjoy watching them play and find many of them to be great role models for young girls, but c'mon... they seem to do a lot of complaining, but they rarely bring up any real practical solutions. So I don't think it's wrong to point out that some of them can act like divas at times.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm taking a friend who has never seen a soccer game to the game today...this may be the worst possible game to teach someone with :laugh:

Still, as an American Icelandophile and Galaxy season ticket holder who has never been to a national team game...I can't pass up USA-Iceland.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm taking a friend who has never seen a soccer game to the game today...this may be the worst possible game to teach someone with :laugh:

Still, as an American Icelandophile and Galaxy season ticket holder who has never been to a national team game...I can't pass up USA-Iceland.

If you guys don't have a good time, you did something wrong. Alcohol can fill in the gaps of what you may be missing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad