Prospect Info: Tyler Biggs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
By no means am I ready to write Biggs off. His first full AHL season and like someone said he couldn't really find his stride but if he finds his game he's gonna be a fan favourite. Power Forwards need time to develop some find it out right away others take a little time, he's 22 still plenty of time for him to find his game, next season he should be a bigger part of the team and It will do him a world of good.

Kids not gonna put up huge numbers but he's got all the potential in the world to be a really good NHL player one day.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
When you look back on his track record, it doesn't look like he was ever good.

Just an unfortunate combination of relative physical maturity vs his age group and good mobility on a prototypical 90s frame. Like a minor league version of a Chad Kilger/Erik Rasmussen/Jason Weimer who has no place in today's NHL.

Absolute abomination of a pick when you consider Jenner and Saad were there for the taking and they're basically a combination of hard working, physical and big forwards and we could have had BOTH for the price we paid for Biggs.

Imagine a prospect cupboard that looked like this:

Rielly
Nylander
Jenner
Saad
Gauthier
Gibson
Finn

That's a potential number one defenseman, a top four defenseman, a first, second and third line center and a stud goalie.

What a colossal error. It's this decade's version of drafting Scott Thornton, Rob Pearson and Steve Bancroft in the first round.

And this is why this franchise continues to struggle year in and year out. Some people can go on and on about this player and he hasn't developed yet but at 21 he ended the year on 4th line. That says it all.

Until this franchise begins to value the NHL draft and succeed they will never amount to anything. Only way to be and continue to be a top franchise is to draft and develop. End of story.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
I won't write him off just yet, but he needs to have an impressive season with the marlies this upcoming year. A lot of open roster spots, so there is no excuse for him not to thrive.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
we drafted this oversized moron over jenner?

what a joke. i still get visibily upset over this.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
we drafted this oversized moron over jenner?

what a joke. i still get visibily upset over this.
You know who else skipped over drafting Jenner? Pittsburgh, Ottawa , Chicago, Tampa , Detroit , Florida , Minnesota, Anaheim , and St.Louis...that's just between the Biggs pick and the Jenner pick

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Boone Jenner and John Gibson instead of Tyler Biggs wouldn't been great. Not even talking about hindsight, I wanted to draft Jenner - he was projected at around that range as well.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
People hoping for Lucic will be disappointed. He may not even turn into a top 6 player, so yes I can see disappointment in using a first round pick for a 3/4 line role player. I see him more of how he was used on the 2013 World Junior Championship team. That line was huge in securing the win for them. With a switch from 4th line goons to a 4th line that can play 10 minutes a night, Biggs 2-way play could be important in the not too distant future in that role. Not what you expect from a first round pick but at least he has a chance to contribute more than other finesse type boom or bust picks.

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I'll give Biggs another couple of years before I hold judgement, he's still gotta earn ice time/pp time in the AHL...then we'll know what we truly have in our hands.

The truth is if he was a Detroit prospect no one would be concerned and wouldn't expect contributions until he hit 24/25.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Big guys take longer, he has good things in his game for a guy his size like defensive awareness, speed, shot blocking, heavy shot.

He just needs to play meaner and use his shot more. He needs 2 more years.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'll give Biggs another couple of years before I hold judgement, he's still gotta earn ice time/pp time in the AHL...then we'll know what we truly have in our hands.

The truth is if he was a Detroit prospect no one would be concerned and wouldn't expect contributions until he hit 24/25.

Exactly.

There's lots of "Leaf fan patience" on display in this thread. The kid is 21 years old, is a Power Forward type who are notoriously slow to develop, and so many have written him off as a "bust".

Dumb!

:)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah I think it is safe to say that his development path has not been satisfactory and I also think you shouldn't have high hopes for his future, but there's no reason to write him off yet.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Exactly.

There's lots of "Leaf fan patience" on display in this thread. The kid is 21 years old, is a Power Forward type who are notoriously slow to develop, and so many have written him off as a "bust".

Dumb!

:)

Especially since he has taken major strides defensively, and is very good defensively. He just needs to find his offense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hard to find something you've never had. Biggsy hasn't seen a PPG season since midget.

Doesn't need to be PPG.

If he can be very good defensively and pot 20-30 points, he is an ideal player for the third line, and be great to pair with our other "bust" Gauthier.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Doesn't need to be PPG.

If he can be very good defensively and pot 20-30 points, he is an ideal player for the third line, and be great to pair with our other "bust" Gauthier.

Heh, I don't have any delusions of Biggs being a PPG player :P Just using it as a benchmark relative to his peers.

At this point, he needs to focus on hitting 40-50 points in the AHL before I'll call him a 20-30 point NHL player.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We traded the 30th and 39th picks in a very deep draft for this guy :/ The Ducks used those picks to select John Gibson (probably the best goalie prospect in the world) and Rickard Rakell (already in the NHL, looks to have a good shot to be a solid top 6 NHLer in the future), and we walked away with a guy who might be a 3rd/4th liner in a few years, or possibly just a career AHLer.

We actually just screwed up pretty badly in that draft in general. With the 25th, 30th and 39th picks we could EASILY have walked away with some really excellent young talent - I'd argue that any of the bolded players would be our 2nd best prospect (after Nylander):

25. Stuart Percy
26. Phillip Danault
27. Vladislav Namestnikov
28. Zack Phillips
29. Nicklas Jensen
30. Rickard Rakell

31. David Musil
32. Ty Rattie
33. Rocco Grimaldi
34. Scott Mayfield
35. Tomas Jurco
36. Adam Clendening
37. Boone Jenner
38. Magnus Hellberg
39. John Gibson
40. Alexander Khokhlachev
41. Dmitrij Jaskin
42. Victor Rask
43. Brandon Saad
44. Brett Ritchie
45. Markus Granlund

46. Joel Edmundson
47. Matthew Nieto
48. Xavier Ouellet

And with 3 picks in this range we walked away with just Biggs and Percy.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Heh, I don't have any delusions of Biggs being a PPG player :P Just using it as a benchmark relative to his peers.

At this point, he needs to focus on hitting 40-50 points in the AHL before I'll call him a 20-30 point NHL player.

I'd wait to see if he can score 20-30 points in the AHL first.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn't need to be PPG.

So what you're saying is if all the stars align we might be lucky enough to have a dime a dozen scrub on our hands?

Kief Richards

Nov 19, 2009
Keene, Ontario
Biggs

Definitely needs more quality ice time with the marlies. However, if the leafs make a major splash, he is the type of untapped potential that might be included to seal a deal.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
So what you're saying is if all the stars align we might be lucky enough to have a dime a dozen scrub on our hands?
You think thats what other teams think about their drafted 3rd liners? You want drafted players yet are complaining about them and basically passing on them? Makes sense

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You think thats what other teams think about their drafted 3rd liners? You want drafted players yet are complaining about them and basically passing on them? Makes sense

So you think it's a good idea to trade two picks to draft a guy who may be a fourth liner when we could have been in the position to draft Saad, Gibson and Jenner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad