TV: Twin Peaks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Okay why in the world did they even include those last 5-10 minutes?

I mean I was confused and intrigued by most of it, but there felt like a lot of filler content in those two hours.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I'll probably just get the discs from Netflix, but thanks for the tip.

No spoilers, but WTF in a good way?

Haha, ummmmmmm. I think you'll just have to watch it ;)

[spoil]What a wild first two episodes. It's started off in the crazy realm and just delved deeper and deeper into oblivion. Has a completely different feeling from the first two seasons but I feel that is largely tied to the nature of Coop in the Black Lodge and things will go more towards the charming show whenever he gets out. I feel like these episodes could have driven off a decent amount of people but I'll hold out hope. Biggest disappointment for me was the CGI. [/spoil]

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The first two episodes were ...interesting I guess. The paranormal stuff dominated the episodes a bit too much for my taste. I preferred the way it was in the old series, when that was part of it, but secondary to the quirky characters in the town. And I also hated the CGI.

I've done my best to avoid spoilers, cause I didn't want to know which cast members were returning until I saw them on the show. It seems like most of the ones who have shown up so far were only onscreen briefly, with most of the shows focus being on the new characters. I hope the returnees aren't relegated to meaningless cameo appearances.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
Rogers somehow botched putting up 3 and 4 up on to On Demand, and I'm not watching on my puny laptop, oh well, I'll wait until next Sunday.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'm 15 minutes into the new season and confused as ****. :laugh:

But I love it. Just trying to figure out the plot is a monumental challenge.

Any UFC fans recognize Michael Bisping as the security guard sitting at the desk?

And Jesus H Christ - Ashley Judd is hotter than ever.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Just finished the first 2 episodes. Love it! David Lynch picks up right where he left off with the overall eccentric tone of the show. Cooper/Bob is pretty bad ass. And unlike the original series, there are no restraints this time around to how far Lynch will go with the horror/supernatural aspect under Showtime. Loved the graphic nature, as it was meant to be shown right from the start. Also, Shadow - Chromatics is soooooo Twin Peaks :)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Watched the first 4. I'm totally lost plot wise but that's OK I'm still enjoying it.

Major criticism for me would be the CGI. Both the overuse of it and how cheap it looks. Things that are supposed to be creepy or scary or weird just end up looking corny. The first series rarely encountered that problem because it wasn't relying on computer graphics for its scares. So I hope that aspect gets toned down.

Also the acting is pretty damn wooden at times, which is weird.

But otherwise I'm intrigued and curious to see where it all goes. Like TP and TP:FWWM, I'm betting a lot of things are going to go unanswered.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I just started watching the original Twin Peaks.
I'm only 3 episodes in, but I don't know that I can keep going.
Show is sooooo slow, so far.
And cheesy, with very poor acting.
When does it get good???

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
When does it get good???

It's not a show for everyone would be my major point of emphasis. Part of the appeal of the show for those that enjoy it is the weirdness/quirkiness. The show has a lot of soapy/cheesy romantic scenes where David Lynch wanted the actors to over-act or play "caricatures" because he was in many ways mocking day-time soap operas (which were extremely popular at the time). The soapy stuff isn't always fun to watch, but I do think that it provides an interesting balance with the sometimes very dark parts of the show related to the murder investigation.

It certainly isn't a perfect show, not top-tier at all for me, but I found it to be extremely atmospheric, entirely original and there's no denying that it has had a massive impact on shaping the shows of the "Golden Age" of tv.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
When does it get good???

The first 3 episodes are some of the best in the series IMO. If you didn't enjoy them, you're probably not going to enjoy the show. It doesn't get much better/different.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The first 3 episodes are some of the best in the series IMO. If you didn't enjoy them, you're probably not going to enjoy the show. It doesn't get much better/different.

Yeah, if you don't like the pilot you may as well call it a day. Some good stuff when the mystery is solved, but doubt you'd like the rest.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I completely lost it when Andy & Lucy's kid Wally showed up and I saw who played him. :laugh:

Plus the return of Denise. :laugh:

And "CARSICK!" :laugh:

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Episodes 3 and 4 were awesome. Gordon Cole, Denise, Agent Preston's Walk, and Adult Baby Cooper all killed it. :laugh:

And nobody can do unsettling scenes quite like Lynch. The knocking on the door sequence at the start of Ep 3 was nightmarish...in a good way.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
When does it get good???

For the record, I tried it for the first time waaay back when I wasn't too familiar with some of the better TV shows, liked it, but had similar reservations, and now I'm watching it again and it's one of the greatest things I've seen on television.

So.... If you don't like the pilot, no, it doesn't get better from episode to episode with that same mindset, but like a great album, you'll probably revisit it at some point and feel differently.

The thing that's blowing me away most right now that I don't think I fully clicked with the first time is how consistently comedically amusing/on point I'm finding it. Every beat in the storytelling is just perfect.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I completely lost it when Andy & Lucy's kid Wally showed up and I saw who played him. :laugh:

Honestly, that was so terrible. I was cringing the whole way through. I'm OK with Michael Cera playing that character, but in such a goofy outfit, with such a goofy monologue...it felt like a bad in-joke that should have been cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad