TSN’s Top 50 NHL Players for 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This list is most certainly NOT “Top 50 Players for 24-25” and really shouldn’t be judged as such.

It’s just a list of the best performing players of last regular season. That’s all it is.

There’s little to no projection involved, which is always the axe I have to grind when these lists are advertised as what we should expect for the upcoming season.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Nylander over Heiskanen?

Rantanen over Barkov?

B. Tkachuk over Eichel?

These kind of lists are a dumb exercise in the first place, but this is a particularly bad example of it

Reactions: Suntouchable13

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Slavin should still be on it but I get him being overlooked by TSN.

I bet we see Jarvis on this list regularly within a year or 2.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Nylander over Heiskanen?

Rantanen over Barkov?

B. Tkachuk over Eichel?

These kind of lists are a dumb exercise in the first place, but this is a particularly bad example of it
Isn't the list just a combination of opinions from a bunch of people? Hence why it doesn't have continuity or an overall philosophy, just a ranking combination of a bunch of other lists.

Which can be interesting/valid, but it also has massive flaws.

Reactions: CanuckCity

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think this is a pretty solid list move people up or down.

I agree Larkin should be in top 50.

I think Brayden Point is too high.

Besides that move people up 5 or down 5 and roughly should work.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The childish squabbling is always funny. Love how fans take it personal when somebody says their player should be lower or whatever. It really doesn’t matter. If we discuss the list as adults, without taking shit personal, I think Leon is a top 3 player. 4 is too low for him. I'd swap Leon and Matthews. It’s very minor, no need to argue over things like this lol.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Always hilarious seeing TSN contradict themselves and mention playoff success for other players but conveniently ignore it for the playoff ghost, Matthews.

His inability to perform when the games matter should make it clear that he has no business being mentioned in the same breath as players like McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl and Kucherov.

But alas, grading on a curve.

Reactions: PuckG

olli

Most unbiased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
Demko not being in top 50 is wild. I would take Demko over Wyatt freaking Johnston when it comes to building a team.
This will not age well

Not a horrible list apart from having Rantanen higher than Barkov and I’m sure Avs fans would agree with me.

HF keeps making me combine these 2 posts even though I have edited the first one to not include the 2nd part and have posted just the 2nd part multiple times

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Zach Hyman being right ahead of Dahlin is hilarious. Is there anyone who genuinely believes Hyman is the better hockey player?

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Always hilarious seeing TSN contradict themselves and mention playoff success for other players but conveniently ignore it for the playoff ghost, Matthews.

His inability to perform when the games matter should make it clear that he has no business being mentioned in the same breath as players like McDavid, MacKinnon, Draisaitl and Kucherov.

But alas, grading on a curve.

Matthews and the rest of the Leafs deserve the criticism for underperforming come playoff time and only advancing past round 1 (once) so far.

The same Draisaitl that completely disappeared in the Stanley Cup Finals?

0 points in game #1 (Oilers lose 3-0)
0 points in game #2 (Oilers lose 4-1)
0 points in game #3 (Oilers lose 4-3)
2 assists in game #4 (Oilers win 8-1)
0 points in game #5 (Oilers win 5-3)
1 assist in game #6 (Oilers win 5-1)
0 points in game #7 (Oilers lose 2-1)

On the biggest stage of his hockey career, he was a complete no show. Same cannot be said for McDavid, MacKinnon and Kucherov.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Yes

I could see both sides on this one.

But not sure why you have an issue with a difference of one spot on the last 2.

Would definitely take Brady over Eichel.
These are bad opinions

Isn't the list just a combination of opinions from a bunch of people? Hence why it doesn't have continuity or an overall philosophy, just a ranking combination of a bunch of other lists.

Which can be interesting/valid, but it also has massive flaws.
If this is based on aggregated ratings I can see how it could spit out a nonsense order

Hockey writers in general have no idea what they're talking about, I'll always remember how they put Ovechkin on the 1st and 2nd end of season-all star teams in the same season, they're trash at their jobs

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
These are bad opinions
No the bad opinion is crying over one spot difference in 2 of your 3. One spot 🤣

Make a poll if your so upset and feel wronged by TSN’s list.
Brady Tkachuk or Eichel for example,

Edit: and now you don’t know how list is generated. First sentence

Voters were asked to project the Top 50 players in the league for the 2024-25 season.

Voters being those that cover hockey for TSN.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews and the rest of the Leafs deserve the criticism for underperforming come playoff time and only advancing past round 1 (once) so far.

On the biggest stage of his hockey career, he was a complete no show. Same cannot be said for McDavid, MacKinnon and Kucherov.

He was labouring through injury pretty bad. If he didn’t have the track record, then sure, but he had 105 points in 67 playoff games leading up to that point.

Reactions: Kerberos

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Drai put up 31 points and was legitimately injured

Matthews scored 1 goal and missed games with a tummy ache

Reactions: Kerberos

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He was labouring through injury pretty bad. If he didn’t have the track record, then sure, but he had 105 points in 67 playoff games leading up to that point.
If he was healthy enough to play then he deserves criticism for producing nothing in the Stanley Cup finals. Players are injured all the time in the playoffs and especially once they reach the Cup Finals. Wasn't McDavid hampered by a pretty serious injury during the Finals (3 goals and 8 assists)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad