Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Early season Frederic was getting some hype around the league as being an ideal bottom 6 guy, I think Seattle would absolutely entertain picking him with his cheap contract, upside, and potential power forward profile

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Early season Frederic was getting some hype around the league as being an ideal bottom 6 guy, I think Seattle would absolutely entertain picking him with his cheap contract, upside, and potential power forward profile

Doesn't seem like a Ron Francis type pick.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Upside? Have you seen him play?

He looked good early. So did Zboril for that matter. Then the league overall got tighter and sharper after a long layoff and Frederic became a non--factor. Seattle scouts saw this same as we did. This also saw his constant healthy scratches down the stretch and into the playoffs. Hopefully they are smart enough not to put much stock into a player's performance in the first quarter to first half of a season.

And he wasn't getting hype as a ideal bottom-six guy, he was getting noticed for running his mouth and the rink mics picking up on it. If I was an NHL star I'd just ignore Trent Frederic. Problem solved.

Any player who hits like Shawn Thornton doesn't have a power forward profile.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Could be.

But who's the Boss?

Whosetheboss.jpg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Upside? Have you seen him play?

He looked good early. So did Zboril for that matter. Then the league overall got tighter and sharper after a long layoff and Frederic became a non--factor. Seattle scouts saw this same as we did. This also saw his constant healthy scratches down the stretch and into the playoffs. Hopefully they are smart enough not to put much stock into a player's performance in the first quarter to first half of a season.

And he wasn't getting hype as a ideal bottom-six guy, he was getting noticed for running his mouth and the rink mics picking up on it. If I was an NHL star I'd just ignore Trent Frederic. Problem solved.

Any player who hits like Shawn Thornton doesn't have a power forward profile.

we get it, you don’t like him. I see it differently. I think he has a really good shot when provided the chance to use it and yes I do think he has some upside and isn’t a finished product

and dude two pages ago you yourself said he *could* have some upside :laugh:. You’re so eager to shit on him you can’t keep up with what you’re saying

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
we get it, you don’t like him. I see it differently. I think he has a really good shot when provided the chance to use it and yes I do think he has some upside and isn’t a finished product

and dude two pages ago you yourself said he *could* have some upside :laugh:. You’re so eager to shit on him you can’t keep up with what you’re saying
Yup

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I want to praise his agent. He got more money than I expected. Figured a 1 or 2 year deal at closer to $900k.
I believe 925k is the going rate for a first round draft pick so he didn't get much of a raise! Probably fair?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

But I do like Trent Frederic. I can criticize and still like a player. I want him back here next year and inserted as the full-time 4th line center. I see him as part of the solution here. Not part of the problem.

I don't like him on the wing at all. He has a pretty good shot. He's a good face-off guy. I think he's a sound defensive center as he's decent positionally and has a good stick. Even during his stint a couple years ago when they tried him out and used him as a center he looked fine defensively. He's a lousy hitter, his ability to agitate is of minor value. His skating needs work.

But is he among the 7 most valuable forwards from a trade perspective on the Bruins among those who need to be protected. No he isn't.

But at 23 and going into his 6th season post-draft, yeah he's getting pretty close to a finished product. I don't think he's there yet. I think next year he needs to establish himself as a full-time everyday player, a guy you want dressed come playoff time, on the 4th line. He also needs to carve out a special teams role if he's going to play everyday. Maybe by the time he's 25-26 he'll have improved enough to be centering the 3rd line.

All nice things and all possible. Still, the potential to have him center the 3rd line in 2024 or 2025 isn't enough for me to protect him from Seattle when compared to the other options (Ritchie and Debrusk). Heck there isn't even a guarantee they will even use him as a center, they may waste another year of him next year force-feeding him winger minutes.

I'm actually kind of shocked at how many fans want to protect him given that he has practically zero trade value with him needing to clear waivers next year. Unestablished 23-year olds who can't be sent down without waivers generally don't garner any sort of return.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
But I do like Trent Frederic. I can criticize and still like a player. I want him back here next year and inserted as the full-time 4th line center. I see him as part of the solution here. Not part of the problem.

I don't like him on the wing at all. He has a pretty good shot. He's a good face-off guy. I think he's a sound defensive center as he's decent positionally and has a good stick. Even during his stint a couple years ago when they tried him out and used him as a center he looked fine defensively. He's a lousy hitter, his ability to agitate is of minor value. His skating needs work.

But is he among the 7 most valuable forwards from a trade perspective on the Bruins among those who need to be protected. No he isn't.

But at 23 and going into his 6th season post-draft, yeah he's getting pretty close to a finished product. I don't think he's there yet. I think next year he needs to establish himself as a full-time everyday player, a guy you want dressed come playoff time, on the 4th line. He also needs to carve out a special teams role if he's going to play everyday. Maybe by the time he's 25-26 he'll have improved enough to be centering the 3rd line.

All nice things and all possible. Still, the potential to have him center the 3rd line in 2024 or 2025 isn't enough for me to protect him from Seattle when compared to the other options (Ritchie and Debrusk). Heck there isn't even a guarantee they will even use him as a center, they may waste another year of him next year force-feeding him winger minutes.

I'm actually kind of shocked at how many fans want to protect him given that he has practically zero trade value with him needing to clear waivers next year. Unestablished 23-year olds who can't be sent down without waivers generally don't garner any sort of return.
good post, well said all around

Reactions: BruinDust

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
he took some dumb penalties all year. Probably was more an indictment on the horrible penalty kill why he didnt play. Cassidy didnt trust his team to kill the penalties he would take
Oh. OK.

That would explain why Cassidy wouldn't play him.

Oh except... wait... that's all biased bullshit.
He got the vast majority of his penalties from matching fighting majors and mean-nothing 10min misconducts at the end of a game. He drew more minor penalties than he took this year.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
it feels early to say whether Frederic should be protected or not. Assuming:
Bergeron
Marchand
Pastrnak
Smith
Coyle

I think the 4 guys competing for those last 2 spots are:
Debrusk
Ritchie
Frederic
Lazar

I think there's a strong chance they trade Debrusk for pick(s) before the expansion draft. That would be ideal because it's one less guy to expose, but let's say they can't swing that.

If Dan is right and they are planning to protect Frederic then I suspect they will expose both Debrusk AND Ritchie. If that's the case then I figure they're calculating that either Seattle will balk at their price tag and pass on them OR that Boston freeing up the cap space is worth the downside of losing either of them for nothing.

They might also feel like Lauzon is more valuable to the Bruins than either of Debrusk or Ritchie so they might actually be hoping that exposing those guys makes Seattle less likely to take Lauzon.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
what I would like Frederic to do next year is tame down the post whistle yakking/yapping at opponents. Now, before many here start hammering me here on this, if this were an opponent who did this after each and every shift yet had the mitts sewed to his hands, you`d be up in arms

Few things irk me more than players like this (Clutterbuck comes to mind), a guy who`ll hit anyone, get involved in post whistle scrums but never let his gloves touch the ice

There are things I like in Freddy`s game and I think he`s a young kid who needs to find the balance between focusing on helping the team by creating chances offensively and getting under the skin of an opponent

I can`t sit by and scream I`m done with creampuff hockey yet not have a spot on the roster for a guy like Frederic. I want him to work on his skating this off season, like to see him with a stronger initial burst. I saw some nice things from him sporadically as far as offensive skill, he`s not a useless plug with no ability to create a play with a pass or convert a pass with a nice shot.

No issues with the signing, light cap hit, now surround him with a few players who bring the energy, I saw Steen/Khulman on here somewhere, sorry, not good enough, I want players who`ll hit the opponent with a purpose and that isn`t either of them in the viewings I have had of them

Reactions: BruinDust

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Trent Frederic is what 22?

can we have a little patience

So Sweeney should be fired over picking Trent Frederic

got it
I admittedly have very little patience when it comes to the Bruins, but "have a little patience" is a tough pill to swallow when the guy I wanted them to take with that pick has 119 career goals already.

the 15/16 drafts produced a ton of guys who are already paying dividends around the league so it's asking a ton of patience to wait around for guys like Senyshyn & Frederic to figure it out 5+ years later.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I believe 925k is the going rate for a first round draft pick so he didn't get much of a raise! Probably fair?

That's the cap hit, not the actual money. ELC's are 2-way contracts, so they get $70k for playing in the AHL.

His estimated earnings for this year were around $640k, so an average salary of $1.05M over the next two years is a significant raise.

Trent Frederic Career Earnings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

EDIT: @Gee Wally This should answer your post about his earnings.

Reactions: Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad