Confirmed with Link: Markstrom (1.875m retained) to NJD for Bahl & 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected)

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
2025 1st and Bahl as the return?

I like it big 82 game dman at 23 years old and a 1st in what I imagine is a better draft year than this one which seems to fall off before any playoff teams pick.

edit: I think the value looks better for New Jersey with over 30% retention but I still like this as the move we needed to make in order to be more than a fringe playoff team in the future

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Lol at the meh. This is a great return if you remove the expectation of a 10th overall. I was expecting something closer to holtz + second
Why would I remove my expectation of the 10OA. That was my expectation.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Why would I remove my expectation of the 10OA. That was my expectation.
Because it’s unrealistic and was never grounded in sound logic. It was floated out there a few times by dreamers and it took on a life of its own. But it really didn’t make sense. Sure, sometimes you get the trade of a lifetime, but considering his age and nmc and whatnot, and considering that New Jersey’s Gm has a pulse and is interesting in negotiations beyond “I bend over,” ya this is far more in line with reality.

Same thing with lindholm for a third ov; makes total sense for us, but the other team is going to think differently.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Not a fan of the retention, thought they get more for almost 2m for 2 yrs than a probable late 1st and a bottom pair d. Without it wouldve been fair imo.

Reactions: Roadrage

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Because it’s unrealistic and was never grounded in sound logic. It was floated out there a few times by dreamers and it took on a life of its own. But it really didn’t make sense. Sure, sometimes you get the trade of a lifetime, but considering his age and nmc and whatnot, and considering that New Jersey’s Gm has a pulse and is interesting in negotiations beyond “I bend over,” ya this is far more in line with reality.

Same thing with lindholm for a third ov; makes total sense for us, but the other team is going to think differently.
Fitzgerald floated it out there. Maybe he was just messing trying to see who crawled out of the woodwork with a goalie, maybe there was something there. It did make sense, the way some gms overvalue goalies. It wasn't outlandish to hope conroy pulled it off.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Devils gave up a lot for a 34 year old goalie. That 2025 1st could be 11th to 16th.

Reactions: Fig

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Great deal. I think Bahl could be a hidden second pair D in the future.

Markstrom had a great year for the most part but he’s always been kinda meh in my mind

Reactions: Fig

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
So can someone explain to me what top 10 protected means in this context? If NJ finishes bottom 10 in 2025 the pick will move to 2026 (unprotected) right?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Fitzgerald floated it out there. Maybe he was just messing trying to see who crawled out of the woodwork with a goalie, maybe there was something there. It did make sense, the way some gms overvalue goalies. It wasn't outlandish to hope conroy pulled it off.
Never saw the bolded anywhere. But putting that aside, where are the comparables to support that sort of value? And why would New Jersey give up those sorts of assets for a goalie who’s only signed for 2 yrs and is in their mid-30s and has a full NMC? In essence, for a stopgap. I get it, sports are not generally a logical endeavour, but the expected return never made sense when you put it in the context of those two questions I outlined.

The last time a goalie got a top 10 pick was a prime Corey Schneider. Quite frankly, I think the comparable trade is far close to the Mike smith one than that.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Completely fine with it. Certainly adding to the logjam of D - if Kylington signs.

Two 2025 and 2026 1sts in better drafts than this are nice to have.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Great return for a older goalie, young potential #4 dman and a 1st is a great package.

Unless I was drunk, I swear I saw some NJD fans say they thought Bahl had as much potential as a late first or early second. Even if he's equivalent to a late 2nd or third, value is pretty solid for Marky. It's pretty close to a late first with no retention by being a wee bit more than a late first with retention.

That being said, without knowing what's going on with the 25 first, it could potentially increase a bit in value vs being very late as many expect.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
So can someone explain to me what top 10 protected means in this context? If NJ finishes bottom 10 in 2025 the pick will move to 2026 (unprotected) right?
its pick position not standings. If New Jerseys 2025 pick is in the top 10 then the pick becomes a 2026 unprotected 1st.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Never saw the bolded anywhere. But putting that aside, where are the comparables to support that sort of value? And why would New Jersey give up those sorts of assets for a goalie who’s only signed for 2 yrs and is in their mid-30s and has a full NMC? In essence, for a stopgap. I get it, sports are not generally a logical endeavour, but the expected return never made sense when you put it in the context of those two questions I outlined.

The last time a goalie got a top 10 pick was a prime Corey Schneider. Quite frankly, I think the comparable trade is far close to the Mike smith one than that.
The value is what someone is willing to pay. That's all I'm saying. Everyone keeps crossing their arms defaulting to "it's a 34 year old goalie..." a 34 year old has lots left in the tank for a team that feels they should be in the finals every year. It's not like Jersey is expecting to not be a cup contender until Markstrom is 39. I'm not willing to assume Fitzgerald had Schneider and Mike Smith on his mind. He wanted a goalie. Maybe he would have traded 10OA for Saros, maybe not.
I'm glad they got the pick for Markstrom.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Our defense is loaded for next season (assuming we retain Kylington)

Andersson - Weegar
Bahl - Kylington
Solovyov - Miromanov
Hanley - Pachal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad