Management Travis Green [Head Coach]

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You typed it out yourself.

What does green bring that makes you think he’s a great fit? Accountability? Hard training camp? Other coaches don’t do that?
Below is Staios's interview. He talks about the hiring process of Green. Among many other things. I assume you think he has no idea what he is doing? I guess you're suggesting he isnt actually committed to trying to build a winner? Or you think you know better? Id say his experience in building a winner in Hamilton or everything he learned in Edmonton is being applied as well as his 1000 + NHL games played.

Here is Greens interview Another guy with over 1000 NHL games that has won at every level so far outside of the NHL. Talks about his evolution and even hiring a former NHL head coach as his assistant.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I still fail to see the obvious slam dunk candidates that were available. I think they all would come with similar question marks, even Berube, if he'd been interested.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What does green bring that makes you think he’s a great fit? Accountability? Hard training camp? Other coaches don’t do that?
He's known for holding players accountable but doing it a fair manner. He's known for being an excellent communicator, he is known for insisting on players play a 200 ft game, while still understanding players strengths and playing to them. He's known for a very strong attention to detail. He showed the ability to adapt his system to the opposition in the series against the blues and against the VGK,

There's lots to like, whether it translates to success with this team remains to be seen, but if all coaches held players accountable, how come so many teams looking for coaches talk about needing to hold players accountable? If all coaches preached a 200ft game, why do teams talk about needing a coach that will do that?

I'm in the wait and see camp, because frankly win% doesn't cut it wrt evaluating coaches, the context matters more than the actual results

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I still fail to see the obvious slam-dunk candidates that were available. I think they all would come with similar question marks, even Berube, if he'd been interested.
-Evason has a track record of regular season success, and has underperformed in a playoffs, but he's -dealing with a cash strapped roster thanks to Guerin's genius buy outs.

-Bylsma on paper seems like a good option, but he couldn't turn around Buffalo so there's a bit of a red flag there.

-Keefe can't get the most out of his stars, but he was able to get regular season success out of them and bring out the best defensively out of guys like AM34, Marner, and their sorry Dcore. He'd have been great considering we need someone to get our lackluster forward core to back check.

-Berube seems like an obvious choice, but he priced himself out so Staios gets a pass there.

Evason or Keefe would've been better than Green from the other guys that got hired. But the hire happened so early and there are still coaches on the table like Julien, Boudreau, or Gallant who would've been better.

I think part of it is, we brought in JM and saw the right things start to happen (Brady's D game improved, overall forward play was more structured), and it was a breath of fresh air to have a vet coach come in with some success bring some organization to our disorganized bunch. Having a more proven coach than Green would've continued that same feeling of conifdence/reassurance.

Having said that, I think Green is in a position to succeed because he had all summer to get to know the guys and work with his A's and hope he does. Not cheering against him, just wished we had gotten someone more established.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What qualities does Yeo bring that make him a better fit?

What does green bring that makes you think he’s a great fit? Accountability? Hard m
Below is Staios's interview. He talks about the hiring process of Green. Among many other things. I assume you think he has no idea what he is doing? I guess you're suggesting he isnt actually committed to trying to build a winner? Or you think you know better? Id say his experience in building a winner in Hamilton or everything he learned in Edmonton is being applied as well as his 1000 + NHL games played.

Here is Greens interview Another guy with over 1000 NHL games that has won at every level so far outside of the NHL. Talks about his evolution and even hiring a former NHL head coach as his assistant.

It remains to be seen if staios has any idea what he’s doing.

Greens interview? Yeah I don’t think green would bash himself.

That’s all well and good. Would have preferred someone with a proven track record of winning on the NHL

But coaches deserve a second chance. Many got it. And went on to become great. Green deserves that same chance

He's known for holding players accountable but doing it a fair manner. He's known for being an excellent communicator, he is known for insisting on players play a 200 ft game, while still understanding players strengths and playing to them. He's known for a very strong attention to detail. He showed the ability to adapt his system to the opposition in the series against the blues and against the VGK,

There's lots to like, whether it translates to success with this team remains to be seen, but if all coaches held players accountable, how come so many teams looking for coaches talk about needing to hold players accountable? If all coaches preached a 200ft game, why do teams talk about needing a coach that will do that?

I'm in the wait and see camp, because frankly win% doesn't cut it wrt evaluating coaches, the context matters more than the actual results
I would say most NHL coaches ask their team to play strong 200 ft hockey man cmon lmao.

Damn finally after the search staios found the guy who does that thing

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would say most NHL coaches ask their team to play strong 200 ft hockey man cmon lmao.

Damn finally after the search staios found the guy who does that thing
Except they don't, Boudreau took over from Green and immediately opened up the offense at expense of the D, Martin took over for DJ and immediately put a focus on the defensive side of the puck. Different coaches have different styles.

When you brush away everything positive that ex-players say is a strong point of Green's, it's easy to say he's not the right pick.

Reactions: Dionysus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Except they don't, Boudreau took over from Green and immediately opened up the offense at expense of the D, Martin took over for DJ and immediately put a focus on the defensive side of the puck. Different coaches have different styles.

When you brush away everything positive that ex-players say is a strong point of Green's, it's easy to say he's not the right pick.
Man. I did not brush away everything. I legit came here after the corrado interview and called it a good interview and adds a lot of context to greens coaching in Vancouver.

I said that. Was it enough to sway me completely? No. I still have my doubts.

Boudreau opened up the offense that doesn’t mean he didn’t want his teams playing 200ft hockey. Martin shored up the defence do you think he didn’t preach 200ft hockey lol.

DJ smith preached 200 ft hockey as well. He just couldn’t get his team to do it.

So now that you’ve heard that green preaches 200ft hockey, let’s say he fails. And we’re just utter dog shit. Does it change the fact that he preaches 200ft hockey? No. It doesn’t. Was he able to properly implement it? That’s the question. They all preach 200 ft hockey

Like I don’t question that green wants to be a great coach lol. I don’t question that he wants his team to…..play good offense and play good defense. I didn’t question those things about DJ smith either.

But I really only care about whether they can actually do it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Man. I did not brush away everything. I legit came here after the corrado interview and called it a good interview and adds a lot of context to greens coaching in Vancouver.

I said that. Was it enough to sway me completely? No. I still have my doubts.

Boudreau opened up the offense that doesn’t mean he didn’t want his teams playing 200ft hockey. Martin shored up the defence do you think he didn’t preach 200ft hockey lol.

DJ smith preached 200 ft hockey as well. He just couldn’t get his team to do it.

So now that you’ve heard that green preaches 200ft hockey, let’s say he fails. And we’re just utter dog shit. Does it change the fact that he preaches 200ft hockey? No. It doesn’t. Was he able to properly implement it? That’s the question. They all preach 200 ft hockey
You literally did it right here in this thread, here, I'll remind you

Corrado. The guy doing a spot on tsn1200? He came out and said great things about the new sens coach. No way.
That's brushing it off as not being reliable information.

It's fine, you value hockey Db box scores above everything else, context be damned, former players like Sutter and Corrado talking him up, meaningless, a bad record with a flawed team is all we need to know he's not the right fit for this team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

What does green bring that makes you think he’s a great fit? Accountability? Hard m

It remains to be seen if staios has any idea what he’s doing.

Greens interview? Yeah I don’t think green would bash himself.

That’s all well and good. Would have preferred someone with a proven track record of winning on the NHL

But coaches deserve a second chance. Many got it. And went on to become great. Green deserves that same chance
Yes it does remain to be seen but his actions and how he went about it is exactly how he should have. He did not make any reactionary moves, he watched the team got to know the players and personnel and addressed this teams weakness's to the best of what was available to him with the cap space, and assets Dorion left them with. It was meticulous and there was an obvious plan. Which is very different than how previous management approached it.

I would say going into the offseason this team needed a more balanced D core, a starting goalie and more experience and hockey sense. That's what was targeted. Staios didnt approach the team like it was a video game. We will see if it works or not as I said in another post I didnt love the execution but he did target the types of players this team needs and its glaring weakness's.

In regards to Green. If you listen to the interview he talks about his approach, he is humble in his answer's and you can tell by the characteristics he describes he wants in this team and the type of culture and identity he wants to instill. It is what is needed here. As another poster already said a coach cant make chicken salad out of chicken shit. I dont know if this team has the ingredients to make salad but he will try and put it together to the best of his abilities. The overall coaching staff that was assembled gives me hope.

Dorion put this organization is a very precarious position before the rebuild was finished its not easy to pick up the pieces when you are pressed against the cap with very little prospect depth. In a culture that was toxic and that starts at the top. Its not going to be fixed over night its too good of a league for that to happen. I will wait and see how it looks, I am a far bigger believer in this management team and coaching staff than the previous.

Its all fair if people around here want to disagree. However blind negativity when there is plenty of information to process before evaluating isnt how I am going to approach it. To each their own.

Reactions: LiseL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
-Evason has a track record of regular season success, and has underperformed in a playoffs, but he's -dealing with a cash strapped roster thanks to Guerin's genius buy outs.

-Bylsma on paper seems like a good option, but he couldn't turn around Buffalo so there's a bit of a red flag there.

-Keefe can't get the most out of his stars, but he was able to get regular season success out of them and bring out the best defensively out of guys like AM34, Marner, and their sorry Dcore. He'd have been great considering we need someone to get our lackluster forward core to back check.

-Berube seems like an obvious choice, but he priced himself out so Staios gets a pass there.

Evason or Keefe would've been better than Green from the other guys that got hired. But the hire happened so early and there are still coaches on the table like Julien, Boudreau, or Gallant who would've been better.

I think part of it is, we brought in JM and saw the right things start to happen (Brady's D game improved, overall forward play was more structured), and it was a breath of fresh air to have a vet coach come in with some success bring some organization to our disorganized bunch. Having a more proven coach than Green would've continued that same feeling of conifdence/reassurance.

Having said that, I think Green is in a position to succeed because he had all summer to get to know the guys and work with his A's and hope he does. Not cheering against him, just wished we had gotten someone more established.
Ya, I see all those names as pretty comparable to Green. Lots of question marks with Bylsma and Keefe in particular. Evason seems to be the main one, but imo even Berube's resume is questionable other than the mid season takeover cup year with other factors like Binnington. Guys like Gallant and Julien may be a factor, but Julien I think might be done head coaching at this point and Gallant seems to wear out his welcome quickly.

Reactions: bert and LiseL

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I got one name for everyone

General Mark Milley. Former Chairman of the joint chiefs of staff of the USA

1) Grandparents are from Newfoundland
2) Played Varsity hockey for Princton.
3) trained as a Navy Seal

HUH!!! we make him HC, like in the NF. And he hires an OC and DC and a special teams C.

Any player who misbehaves, the Brig... Now talk about accountability.. Continued misbehavior gets you stationed in Ukraine.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You literally did it right here in this thread, here, I'll remind you

That's brushing it off as not being reliable information.

It's fine, you value hockey Db box scores above everything else, context be damned, former players like Sutter and Corrado talking him up, meaningless, a bad record with a flawed team is all we need to know he's not the right fit for this team.
Yeah it’s one guy. But again. I stated how I felt about the interview. That doesn’t mean I’m going to take one persons opinion on green as evidence he’s the perfect or even great coach for this hockey team right now.

Was corridors interview good and informative yes. Did it make me a rabid believer? No.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah it’s one guy. But again. I stated how I felt about the interview. That doesn’t mean I’m going to take one persons opinion on green as evidence he’s the perfect or even great coach for this hockey team right now.
Here's another former players opinion,
"He’s pretty much a perfect fit for them,”

So is two people who have the background to understand what makes a good coach, and direct exposure to how green coaches make a dent in your opinion, or are those box scores impervious to first hand accounts?
Was corridors interview good and informative yes. Did it make me a rabid believer? No.
Nobody is asking you to be a rabid believer, but you've been quite clear you believe he's the wrong choice, there is a lot of grey between those two positions and so far I haven't seen much to substantiate your position other than the Canucks win loss record.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Here's another former players opinion,
"He’s pretty much a perfect fit for them,”

So is two people who have the background to understand what makes a good coach, and direct exposure to how green coaches make a dent in your opinion, or are those box scores impervious to first hand accounts?

Nobody is asking you to be a rabid believer, but you've been quite clear you believe he's the wrong choice, there is a lot of grey between those two positions and so far I haven't seen much to substantiate your position other than the Canucks win loss record.
I believe someone with more experience and a longer track record of getting their teams to play better hockey would have been a better choice for THIS team at THIS stage. Yes.

Corrado did put a dent in my opinion. Just not a huge one.

We know how hockey culture is. Players don’t really come out and call coaches shit. They come out and support or they don’t say anything at all.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Don’t get it.

Lots of coaches are fine coaches. But circumstance of their teams made them look bad. Or good. (Usually goaltending). Maybe green was a good coach who’s team made him look bad.
It's your “way” with words that was the focus.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Thank you for your analysis. What do we know about Travis Green exactly? Looks like he is a career loser.

2017-18Vancouver CanucksNHLHead8231400110.445Out of Playoffs
2018-19Vancouver CanucksNHLHead8235360110.494Out of Playoffs
2019-20Vancouver CanucksNHLHead693627060.565Lost in round 2
2020-21Vancouver CanucksNHLHead562329040.446Out of Playoffs
2021-22Vancouver CanucksNHLHead†25815020.360
2023-24New Jersey DevilsNHLAssociateOut of Playoffs
2023-24New Jersey DevilsNHLHead‡Out of Playoffs
You're just stat watching so you could not have proved my point any better.

You don't know much about Green so you shouldn't have such a strong opinion about him. That is ignorance at it's finest.

Go ahead and have your doubts but at least make an attempt to express them rationally.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You're just stat watching so you could not have proved my point any better.

You don't know much about Green so you shouldn't have such a strong opinion about him. That is ignorance at it's finest.

Go ahead and have your doubts but at least make an attempt to express them rationally.
What do you know about green? Because at this point you've provided nothing.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
What do you know about green? Because at this point you've provided nothing.
Well considering my opinion is not strong one way or another and I'm taking a wait and see approach with a side dish of optimism, like we all should, what I know about Green isn't relevant to the conversation. I'm not the one making strong claims and putting myself out there to be challenged, like you are.

However, if you want to know why I think it's ignorant to have a strong opinion like you have, and why I have side dish of optimism, here you go- this is what I know as fact, have seen personally or is from what I've read from credible primary sources (for the record I'm on the west coast and soak in the Canucks a lot more than I care to admit):

In Van He came in to coach one of the most underwhelming and poorly managed franchises in the NHL at the time and took over from a terrible coach in Desjardins

He worked with a bottom ten roster and eventually got them to playoffs and did so on the back of strong team play, buy in, game preparation and accountability.

He has a reputation for being an extremely hard working coach and expects the same from his staff

He has a reputation for studying tape, analytics and adjusting his game strategy to the opponent he is facing

He has high expectations of his team and is not afraid to hold them accountable, top of the lineup down

He is good at understanding his players, communicating with them and catering to their style of play. His players know what he wants out of them

It is commonly accepted that he was derailed by a completely dysfunctional front office under Benning

A highly respected coach in Bruce Boudreau didn't have any more success under the same dysfunction

Almost all the knowledgeable Canucks fans that I talk to and trust unanimously liked and respected him and agree that he was a solution and not a problem during that era

Coaching in the NHL is all about fit and many points above resonate with what the SENS have been lacking and need

Those are just a few things from observation or what I have read. The bottom line is that you don't know and I don't know and judgment should not be passed in summer before you have seen a single shift out of his team.

Anyone pointing to the X's and O's of his coaching style is completely blind to what this team truly needs above all else.

Along with the stuff above he is unanimously praised for being a good coach for young teams that need discipline, honesty, direction and clear communication. That is a laundry list of what DJ lacked and we should be excited if for no other reason than him being the opposite of DJ. People might be trying to convince you it's more of the same but that couldn't be further from the truth. He is a Rock Tocchet style coach and Tocchet pretty much wrote the book this year on how to get the most out of your team.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

IIRC, I don’t think Guerin signed those contracts that were bought out. The buy-outs were for older players that were well past their primes. Its a cyclic phenomena that happens basically pretty much to every team eventually.

As for Green, we’ll have to see what happens. I do agree that basing it on win % is a rather shallow way of evaluating which seems to be the case for a lot of the criticism. We can list names of coaches as well, but unless we are actually talking to these candidates, we don’t know which ones were truly available.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
IIRC, I don’t think Guerin signed those contracts that were bought out. The buy-outs were for older players that were well past their primes. Its a cyclic phenomena that happens basically pretty much to every team eventually.
I think it was a locker room issue that led to the buyouts, because both Parise and Suter were serviceable players (albeit overpaid). It's just handcuffing your own roster with $14+ million of deadcap while trying to stay competitive is a monumental task.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think it was a locker room issue that led to the buyouts, because both Parise and Suter were serviceable players (albeit overpaid). It's just handcuffing your own roster with $14+ million of deadcap while trying to stay competitive is a monumental task.
I didn’t get that impression as I never saw anything about a locker room issue back in the timeframe when Parise & Suter were with the Wild. Who knows I suppose. They were definitely overpaid by quite a bit. Suter went from $7.5 m/year contract to $775 k plus another $2.25 in performance bonuses (based on games played).

I do think his job was made tougher because he inherited a bad cap & contract situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad