Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Looks ready to who? Based on two pre-season games? Was he really so good?

How's his board work? Positioning? Defensive play? Line changes?

Just a few questions.
He was very clearly one of the most creative players on the ice for the past 2 games, and he was certainly better then tyler johnson.

Not if the plan is to send him down regardless. The last couple of preseason games will be used to get the final roster guys going. Like I said it sucks . Doesnt appeal to fairness. But should be expected in a Cap world.
Must be why they kept guys like Viel and Brown around, gotta get them ready for opening day

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Lysell was not impressive in camp. He had flashes but was yet again, inconsistent in play and effort. Add in that he's waiver exempt, makes perfect sense to send him to providence. Merk was much better in camp however there are still things he can work on.

Lysell had an opportunity to take the next step and didn't. That's on him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe Poitras gets a slot at 2 RW, and centers look like Lindholm-Coyle- Frederic. I could see that happening and if that is the case, there is no spot for Lysell. I would have liked him to get a longer look, but I can also see where there is no plan to use him as a regular at this point so send him down.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Can't say. Didn't see enough. What I did see it wasn't clear cut.

Point is, unless Lysell was having a pre-season like Poitras last year, or Lucic as a rookie, he's not making it.

Thst's pretty much how it goes every year for most teams unless it's a complete committment to a youth movement/rebuild.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Is Lysell's agent Gross? ... :) Just kidding and I feel he'll be back up, had some decent drive and hands. His job now is to prove the brass wrong by lighting it up in the AHL with defensive responsibility.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Lysell didn’t show enough consistency in his games played to make the team. He’d have shifts where he would skate down the boards and beat the d-man and other shifts where he’d try to do too much and turn it over.

Reactions: Alicat

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Who has played better, Johnson or Lysell?
Johnson IMO but not by much. He made a lot of great passes on rushes up ice and in the zone. I don’t think he’s the answer for any holes we have but I’d give him a slight edge over Lysell. Plus he has more experience.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Johnson IMO but not by much. He made a lot of great passes on rushes up ice and in the zone. I don’t think he’s the answer for any holes we have but I’d give him a slight edge over Lysell. Plus he has more experience.
Johnson has the edge due to his versatility and eating PK minutes. He's also better than Lysell at this point.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Its the NHL, not high school tryouts.

Rookies have to really be impressive to win a job in pre-season.
No they don't. Wayyyyyy to much made about preseason when both teams dress 15 jags. Have some balls and go off the past two seasons in the AHL and stop getting jags like Brown and TJ. Sackless management wants their "fantastic" regular season and maybe one round won. I mean if my boss required that mediocrity I would do the same.

Both Lysell and Merkulov have areas of their game to work on. Send then down with instructions on what they need to do, have them go out and work on those areas. It's a long season there will be call ups. Then even if they are called up because of injury on emergency basis and light it up for 3 or 5 games they still may be sent back down. Not because they played bad but because of roster, cap, and waivers.
At that point it up to the kid to force Boston's hand. But the experience is indispensable to their game. Tell them to keep their eyes on the prise of being with the big club at the end of the season if they work hard and play well.

Brown and Johnson are both safe moves at the moment if they stay with the team. It's still training camp. Brown is what he is, you know what you're getting. Johnson has had some very good years and brings experience and leadership of a veteran. Both players will not make the same mistakes a raw rookie will make. But at this point neither is a difference maker and may not bring more offensively than the kids would have, but they both know NHL situations and defensive responsibilities. Brown is currently a place holder and may not even make the team. Johnson they may be hoping to tap into one more productive season.

Meanwhile the kids work on their game until Boston figures out the main roster. It's a long season and what we see opening night in all likelihood will not be what we see come the start of the playoffs. So relax and let things run their cousre.
Brown and Johnson suck, let's not kid ourselves. Pun intended.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
sounds like Sweeney will go the safe approach and sign Johnson for the second line. Not sure where he is going to get the money and sign Swayman, but that’s his problem to deal with .

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Lysell was not impressive in camp. He had flashes but was yet again, inconsistent in play and effort. Add in that he's waiver exempt, makes perfect sense to send him to providence. Merk was much better in camp however there are still things he can work on.

Lysell had an opportunity to take the next step and didn't. That's on him.
No it isn't. They were sending him down regardless. How many tweets did the Bruins do about TJ? He's a far better option than Brown and TJ. The only reason he's down is because he has an option to be down and the coaching staff is too yellow and lazy to give him real games with real talent to show what he has.

• Haha
Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad