Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Anaheim/Chicago/ San Jose all need better goaltending.
I think his track record in the AHL speaks for itself, 48-17-8 record and a 2.55 GAA is damn good, considering the AHL is a more offensive league vs the NHL.
Next time the Bruins play watch him, his positioning, rebound control, ability to get back into position.

ANA- Gibson, Dotsal... which one is Bussi better than?
CHI- Brossoit, Mrazek, Soderblom- Maybe you think Bussi is better than Mrazek and Soderblom, it's a gamble to go with Bussi as your backup because you think he might be better. He's also a year older than Soderblom, so if you think "Hey he's a young goaltending prospect(he's not)" you already have one there under contract.
SJ- Blackwod, Vanecek, Askarov.. which of those guys does Bussi beat out?

There will be more proven goalies available on waivers, and younger guys with more perceived upside.

I highly doubt anyone takes Bussi, and like someone else says, if they do- good luck.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm actually curious to see more DiPietro now, maybe he'll be the backup until things are settled.
I think Swayman signs before opening night, but if not, they can't go into the season with Korpisalo/Dipietro. Whether that means claiming a more experience 3rd goalie off waivers or what, I don't know. I saw somewhere that supposedly the Bruins will deal Swayman if he's not signed. I can't believe that's true but going into the season for even 10 games with Korpisalo and one of the 2 Providence guys would be an epic fail.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Some people are already writing Bussi off.
I would still give him another game or two to see if he settles in
The game against New York ... people have said the team in front of him played poorly , disinterested. That New York was playing close to an NHL lineup.
Bussi seemed to be fighting the puck and giving up generous rebound.

It could be that he was trying too hard not to make a mistake and to impress, therefore wasn't playing his game - it happens ... especially with all the media hype saying he will be the back up if Swayman isn't signed. He has never played a game in the NHL. Historically it can take a goalie several games to adjust to the NHL game which is why they usually become backups first before advancing to starter, if ever.

I'm sure he's putting pressure on himself.
All I am saying is give him another game or two and see if he has learned anything from the experience. See if he makes the first save, stays within himself, and let's his defense and team in front of him help prevent that second and third attempt.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Some people are already writing Bussi off.
I would still give him another game or two to see if he settles in
The game against New York ... people have said the team in front of him played poorly , disinterested. That New York was playing close to an NHL lineup.
Bussi seemed to be fighting the puck and giving up generous rebound.

It could be that he was trying too hard not to make a mistake and to impress, therefore wasn't playing his game - it happens ... especially with all the media hype saying he will be the back up if Swayman isn't signed. He has never played a game in the NHL. Historically it can take a goalie several games to adjust to the NHL game which is why they usually become backups first before advancing to starter, if ever.

I'm sure he's putting pressure on himself.
All I am saying is give him another game or two and see if he has learned anything from the experience. See if he makes the first save, stays within himself, and let's his defense and team in front of him help prevent that second and third attempt.
He would get claimed right away is my bet.You covered it well in your post,I agree with you.

Reactions: JAD

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

PHILADELPHIA — The road ahead for 20-year-old defenseman Jackson Edward, perhaps the hardest, surliest hitter among Bruins prospects, likely leads to AHL Providence in the next few days.

The Bruins are stacked on the blue line, jobs held by a forest of big men, both in size and experience. That career trajectory, however, didn’t keep coach Jim Montgomery from tamping down expectations, or anticipation, prior to the 6-foot-3-inch Edward making his preseason debut Saturday night against the Flyers. .

Edward didn’t factor in the scoring and failed to land a hit. But he logged a healthy 18 minutes, 55 seconds of ice time in the 3-2 overtime loss, and made a solid impression on Montgomery.
“I liked him,” said the coach. “He’s a hockey player. He made plays . . . not afraid to sauce the puck, not afraid to hold onto the puck to bring a forechecker to him and then try to free up a forward. He’s got a lot to learn, but you expect that, he’s 20 years old.”

The highlight of Edward’s game is his ability to deliver opponents directly to Palookaville with jarring, bone-rattling hits. In his junior days with OHL London, that included one memorable pop on that flashy, pesky forward for Guelph . . . who was it? . . . Oh, right, Matt Poitras.

“Oh, man . . . yeah, big hit,” a smiling Poitras recalled one day early on when the two shared the same dressing room in Brighton as prospects. “Really got me good. That’s his game. You’re aware when he’s out there.”

Poitras is not on a short list of Edward road kill. He delivers his hits with, shall we say, indiscriminate gusto. He also likes to jabber while working, bringing an added irritant factor to his game, something that can trigger opponents into taking ill-advised retaliatory penalties. During the club’s recent rookie tourney in Buffalo, where he played in two of three games, Edward’s perpetual on-ice narrative ran nearly second-for-second with the game clock.

Providence coach Ryan Mougenel, who ran the Boston bench in Buffalo, noted it’s important for Edward to keep his hitting game under control, deliver his pops in context with the game, be ever aware of such basics as time and score. There can be a fine line between hitting with impact and purpose and getting tossed in the penalty box for any of a number of calls — charging, tripping, hits to the head, etc. — or hitting at the risk of taking oneself out of defending.

“It can take time . . . Connor Clifton needed time to figure it out,” said Mougenel, recalling how the defenseman, now with the Sabres, moderated his game to become a valued, effective hitter. “And when he did, good for him, he made a lot of money.”

A natural left shot, Edward spent last season playing on his right side, in large part because the Knights were stacked with left-side talent. His partner on the left was the more highly touted Sam Dickinson, 18, who went on to be the No. 11 pick in the June draft by San Jose.

“We had a lot of left defense,” recalled Edward, “so I kind of just put it out there, ‘I can try right, make it easier for you guys.’ I ended up really liking it, it kind of just stuck, so I am open to playing both. I am comfortable on the right, so they both work.”

Somewhat akin to switch-hitters in baseball, defensemen who play both left and right offer added value for coaches forever in need of covering all bases with personnel on hand. There are some nuances and technical issues, including the art of having to switch to the backhand when plucking pucks along the boards.

“Yeah, some of the little things are completely different,” noted Edward. “The stick tendencies and your body positioning are all just slightly different, but, I mean, I’ve had a year to adjust to it. If anything, I’d say I’m more comfortable on the right now.”

Edward, who had fellow prospect Frederic Brunet riding on his left, wore sweater No. 41. It’s the number he was handed upon arrival, he said, noting he would have worn whatever was offered.

Nonetheless, the number is special to him because his late maternal grandfather, Al Jackson, was born in 1941. Jackson died last year.

“If I could keep the number, I’d love that,” he said. “Complete coincidence, but an awesome coincidence.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Also:

The week ahead​

The Bruins, back on the ice for Warrior workouts Sunday, head down the preseason stretch this week, with a game Tuesday on Causeway Street vs. the Flyers, then Thursday in Quebec City vs. the Kings, and then their preseason wrap Saturday in D.C. (5 p.m.). The season opener is Tuesday, Oct. 8, in Sunrise, Fla. . . . Executive son Charlie Jacobs, team president Cam Neely, GM Don Sweeney, and Montgomery will stage their annual preseason presser Monday (11 a.m.) at the Garden, followed by the first Causeway workout of the season . . . First home game: Thursday, Oct. 10, vs. the Canadiens.

Reactions: JCRO

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Also:

The week ahead​

The Bruins, back on the ice for Warrior workouts Sunday, head down the preseason stretch this week, with a game Tuesday on Causeway Street vs. the Flyers, then Thursday in Quebec City vs. the Kings, and then their preseason wrap Saturday in D.C. (5 p.m.). The season opener is Tuesday, Oct. 8, in Sunrise, Fla. . . . Executive son Charlie Jacobs, team president Cam Neely, GM Don Sweeney, and Montgomery will stage their annual preseason presser Monday (11 a.m.) at the Garden, followed by the first Causeway workout of the season . . . First home game: Thursday, Oct. 10, vs. the Canadiens.
Sorry in advance cause I’m sure it’s already been addressed Wally. But why are the Kings hanging out in Canada and playing east coast teams in the preseason?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I like that Edwards is comfortable playing both sides. That will help him find a home somewhere ( if not here ) in the future as he progresses.

Reactions: bme44

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
IMG_5156.png

I don’t twit so here’s a pic.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Lysell not on the ice and not in the group of guys getting a maintenance day, assume that means he's on the outside looking in. And I think the fact that they didn't give him a single second with an actual NHL caliber center means he likely never had a real shot. Hope I'm wrong on both counts.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Babajingo

Also:

The week ahead​

Think ole Donny will get his knickers twisted again, if asked about Swayman?
For a GM of a major sport team, he's got pretty thin skin.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Zadorov spit the bit already on the first pair? Lindholm has looked 25 this camp, looks great.

Lindholm's skating looks like it did his first full year here. Last year, it looked like he was struggling to get his feet moving.

Zaddy will be floated around a lot depending on what needs to be done. I wouldn't read into practice pairings all that much - I see both he, Lindholm, and Lohrei to be rotating with the fixed RHD ( McAvoy, Carlo, Peeke ).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad