News and Blog Report: Training camp & Preseason News & Notes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think this organization needs to foster competition so I'd be reluctant to flush Lavoie (assuming he cleared). This is a shallow prospect pool so moving on from guys still in development cycle needs to carefully managed. They've already farmed out Tullio and Chiasson.

They could move The Drake around the lineup while fostering competition between Petrov and Lavoie for right shot left wing options in the top six. Frankly moving both between LW and RW can be another consideration to grow their versatility. Neither are really well situated for bottom six recall considerations though Lavoie would be closer with age and experience.

I think Petrov will be better served with a strong competitive situation. He was surprisingly quiet in the rookie tournament and an early farm out from main camp. This should be good motivation to dig within to work on his skills, two-way play, and mental maturity. Lots of raw talent but time to put it together with clear focus from within.
I'm not suggesting that Lavoie be flushed. I'd prefer he be moved for a prospect like Matthew Robertson, assuming he were to clear, who addresses an immediate area of organizational need.

I feel that the Oilers are at a point where Lavoie doesn't fit into the Oilers' plans if he doesn't make the roster out of the gate this season. On the farm he takes up a lot of space, being a primary scorer and top PP option. At 24, the likelihood of that leading to NHL success diminishes.

I'm not suggesting that opportunities be handed to lesser prospects, but it difficult seeing Chaulk move away from the comfort of the proven option Lavoie gives him.

That being said, camp isn't done yet and Raphael Lavoie is still in Edmonton.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not suggesting that Lavoie be flushed. I'd prefer he be moved for a prospect like Matthew Robertson, assuming he were to clear, who addresses an immediate area of organizational need.

I feel that the Oilers are at a point where Lavoie doesn't fit into the Oilers' plans if he doesn't make the roster out of the gate this season. On the farm he takes up a lot of space, being a primary scorer and top PP option. At 24, the likelihood of that leading to NHL success diminishes.

I'm not suggesting that opportunities be handed to lesser prospects, but it difficult seeing Chaulk move away from the comfort of the proven option Lavoie gives him.

Yes, that makes sense. I've been speculating about a prospective deal like waiver eligibles Kostin/Samaroukov who both organizations flipped from their depth strength. That could be LD or even another hard ice middle forward type with some latent upside.

The Oilers still have largely old top nine wings so can't necessarily rule out Lavoie for short-term future, assuming the player cleared. It would still be a big bet with no certainty that Petrov finds his pro footing with legitimate top 6/9 NHL potential. Lavoie is a top 10 AHL goal scorer, among the youngest of those ten, blocked with a heavy veteran mature window organization.

This is a very shallow prospect pool with minimal talent anywhere near NHL ready. Just have to mitigate against losing more decent depth options without return.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Gee who didn’t see this coming after losing 3 RD this off season. Oilers gambling big time here.

Broberg isn't an RD, who is the third?

They did the prudent thing given the circumstances and have taken a gamble on affordable options. It is too early to say whether or not those were successful or unsuccessful gambles. I'm certain that if Emberson ends up being the 3RD and is not capable of being a sufficient partner for Nurse, they will obtain another RD.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Broberg isn't an RD, who is the third?

They did the prudent thing given the circumstances and have taken a gamble on affordable options. It is too early to say whether or not those were successful or unsuccessful gambles. I'm certain that if Emberson ends up being the 3RD and is not capable of being a sufficient partner for Nurse, they will obtain another RD.
Cup contenders don't gamble on some kid who has played 30 NHL games total, being able to play top 4 minutes

all our hopes are tied with Emberson cause Stetcher ain't the solution, neither is Brown...and I'm sure GMs around the league are dying to give us a RH top 4 d-man with the precious few assets we have (basically a 2nd rounder this year...or a 1st in 20206)

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Cup contenders don't gamble on some kid who has played 30 NHL games total, being able to play top 4 minutes

all our hopes are tied with Emberson cause Stetcher ain't the solution, neither is Brown...and I'm sure GMs around the league are dying to give us a RH top 4 d-man with the precious few assets we have (basically a 2nd rounder this year...or a 1st in 20206)

Yeah, you said it. Clearly there wasn’t a trade out there for an established RD (especially one that they can actually afford), so they’re rolling the dice

What else were they supposed to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah, you said it. Clearly there wasn’t a trade out there for an established RD (especially one that they can actually afford), so they’re rolling the dice

What else were they supposed to do?
I wonder if guys like Schultz and Shattenkirk would consider 1 year deals at this point that could be buried if worse got to worst? 1 year $1.25 million, take it or leave it. Add the 2nd year if they want security.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

The argument against this is injuries happen. Just because Lavoie doesn't have a clear spot now, doesn't mean that'll be the case for an 82 game season, or even in 10 games from now. Especially when we're betting on someone like Arvidsson, who struggled to stay healthy last year and is another year older.

The Oil can start their "next-in-line" grinders in Bakersfield, as Hamblin and Philp don't need to go through waivers. And while I like Savoie, he hasn't made a strong case this preseason that he's NHL ready right now; Jarventie is also coming back from a knee injury and we don't know where he's at. Beyond Lavoie, the Oil don't a lot of "yeah, he should be ready to step in" offensive talent.

This isn't comparable to Samo, where the Oil didn't have a spot for him and had a decent group (Vinny, Niemo, and Broberg) right behind him. If the Oil want someone like Robertson or Bjornfot they can grab them off waivers.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

"All of our hopes" aren't tied to them. It's tied to the deadline move when they actually have cap space to make an addition.

It's no different than when Florida limped through half the season playing a rookie defenseman until Ekblad got healthy last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad