GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Also, people keep telling me that Reaves will deter dirty plays, but Tavares got injured off a questionable hit by a goon last game, doesn't seem like people care.
It’s still hockey, it would be unreasonable to expect nothing like that to happen. But when another team takes liberties they need to answer the bell. It’s an insurance policy. When you need it, you don’t want to be without it. And when he is on he brings energy, good forecheck, and can change momentum.

Reactions: Duffman955

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It’s still hockey, it would be unreasonable to expect nothing like that to happen. But when another team takes liberties they need to answer the bell. It’s an insurance policy. When you need it, you don’t want to be without it. And when he is on he brings energy, good forecheck, and can change momentum.

They didn't answer anything.

Reaves has fought him many times too, but didn't in this situation.

If no one said that Reaves deterred people, I wouldn't care, it is a talking point about why he is needed, but he is not a deterrent.

He normally brings bad energy, that's the issue, getting scored against is not uplifting.

If you want the hard forecheck and energy, bring in someone who can keep up with the play and is good defensively, I don't mind a 4th line that is an energy line, but not sure Reaves is the answer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If one of my coworkers was being featured on an Amazon series, I'm pretty sure I would watch. I think most people would.
lol sure but are they regularly on tv ?

It’s kind of like expecting them to watch their highlights when they get home after a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: bax and Evilhomer

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I have my own theory on this. After the Hab playoff loss I think he bought into Keefes playoff hockey playbook. Playing on the defensive side of the puck Limit turnovers don’t take risks. And that is what he did. The problem is that doing this takes away everything that makes Marner elite. He is best when he just reacts and tries plays most won’t even consider even if a few end up in turnovers. Safe Marner is a fraction of the player.

That doesn’t explain losing almost every puck battle and throwing the puck away like a live hand grenade. Berube needs to play him with a virtual bodyguard to protect him. Otherwise he’s useless in the playoffs.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I may watch it at some point as it can be fun to see the behind the scenes of different NHL teams, but I certainly wouldn't be focused on it if I was preparing for an NHL season, and already lived through it all in person. The idea that Nylander cares if somebody watches some silly show, or that it reflects at all on leadership or character, is hilarious.

I think everybody else understood that scoring referred to points in this context. The rest of what you said is simply incorrect.
I think you need to update your operating system

• Haha
Reactions: Enniskillen

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yea lol sure but are they regularly on tv ?

It’s kind of like expecting them to watch their highlights when they get home after a game.
Not the same context really.

Either way, the smart answer would have been "I'll probably give it a look"
But Mitch and smart answers are that well acquainted

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Lol, if Nylander said something similar about any hypothetical marner’s tv show, obviously he is not worth one yet according to amazon, same people would piss themselves with righteous rage. Hypocrisy is rampant around here.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Not the same context really.

Either way, the smart answer would have been "I'll probably give it a look"
But Mitch and smart answers are that well acquainted
You're criticizing him for not giving your preferred answer, which you claim is the smart answer. Then, question his intelligence for not giving your preferred answer, which you claim is the smart answer.

Thank you for clearing up the context.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

If no one said that Reaves deterred people, I wouldn't care, it is a talking point about why he is needed, but he is not a deterrent.

He normally brings bad energy, that's the issue, getting scored against is not uplifting.

If you want the hard forecheck and energy, bring in someone who can keep up with the play and is good defensively, I don't mind a 4th line that is an energy line, but not sure Reaves is the answer.

Reaves was a terrific player when he was younger and was a treat in the inaugural season in Vegas, but he doesn’t deter much at this stage. Marchand, on the other hand, was able to deter at least one Leafs player, and that’s the type of player they desperately need.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
If we signed domi as a marner lite replacement then fine otherwise that signing makes no sense we have too much players that have skillsets we could use that have their pathway blocced, we need to eliminate all the cute playing

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
If they move off of Kampf and Jarnkrok, and LTIR Dewar/Hakanpaa for the start of the year I think there's a way to sign Pacioretty/Lorentz and have Robertson full-time + have Cowan as an extra until you decide what to do with him (keep until WJC?). Would depend on the lengths of the injuries. Otherwise, Cowan I think has to go back to junior sooner. Reaves is still on the team in my scenario because I think they keep him around anyways, and then once Dewar gets back Cowan probably goes back to junior and then Dewar can rotate with Reaves on 4th line (Lorentz - Holmberg - Dewar/Reaves). You can also keep two spare D so perhaps a Timmins/Rifai combination as 7/8th D.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

That’s the thing with him, and like any other player, when he’s on he is solid, when he isn’t it’s yuck. Terrible to start the year last season but really turned it around.

After tonight I’m glad we have the option to put him in on opening night against Montreal. I wouldn’t want Xhekaj gooning it up against our team without anyone to answer to. And that is my point, that is his role. It’s a unique one on the team. Admittedly not something we need very often, but that’s the job. We have lots of guys that can’t score but bring some defensive prowess on the fourth line, we don’t need more of it.

Reactions: Duffman955

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The reporter specifically asked Marner if he was interested in watching the Amazon series that features Nylander.

Marner responded, "I probably won’t watch it, to be honest, so probably not."

That’s a very unleaderlike response about your teammate, selfish, but that’s typical Marner. Everything with him is about himself. When asked about Matthews hitting 60 goals, Marner shifts the focus to how he was passing him the puck all game. When asked about Matthews’ growth into a leader and eventual captaincy, Marner talks about how both of them have grown.

Even if you're not into NHL documentaries, you could still say something supportive of Nylander. When Marner was younger and starring in insurance commercials, his teammates joked around and supported him.

Though, im pretty sure Marner knows the quit crying bro that is reportedly in thr Amazon series is about him and its not a good look.

It’s pretty obvious the media wants to rub his past failures and public meltdowns in his face. So it’s not like Marner would come out of it looking great in any such interaction.

Reactions: William Johnson

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Knies. Matthews. Marner
Robertson. Nylander. McMann
Pacioretty Tavares. Domi
Lorentz. Holmberg. Reeves/Dewar

I agree with the Kampf, Jarnkrok trades ideas. Holmberg has had a good camp, enough that I think Kampf is expendable. Jarnkrok has looked out of sinc. He might be a Swiss Army knife but he is dull right now. (Who will take on their cap is a dilemma. Also Kampf will only bury about a million through waivers I think)

Dewar can also play centre when he gets off LTIR (I assume he’s going there) if we are worried about having a centre around if Nylander can’t sustain the position.

Not sold on Patches yet. His first game was good, second looked slower but ok. I’m sure they’re going to give him both remaining games before making a decision. No one other than Robertson has shown they deserve that spot more. Cowan has been a bit of a letdown, Grebs needs some AHL time.

Lorentz is a perfect 4th liner. He’ll be big, cheap, responsible and completes every available check and looks like he has PK ability.

Reeves is going to have a spot I’m afraid to say. When he’s fresh, he’s awesome. He’ll probably end up in and out of the lineup again.

Reactions: shaner8989

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Knies-Matthews-Domi
Pacioretty-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Nylander
Mcmann-Lorentz-Grebenkin

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
 Hankanpaa

Out-