GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Lerbon on Overdrive speculates they might get rid of a Kampf or Jarnkrok to make room for everyone up front.
Getting rid of Jarnkrok at this point makes a lot of sense. We’re flooded with wingers. Trade Jarnkrok to whoever offers the highest pick.

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Nylander - Domi
Pacioretty - Tavares - McMann
Lorentz - Kampf - Holmberg
Reaves

Reactions: Twine Tickler

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Lerbon on Overdrive speculates they might get rid of a Kampf or Jarnkrok to make room for everyone up front.
I would honestly consider moving them both.

Knies Matthews Domi
Cowan Nylander Marner
Pacioretty Tavares Robertson
Holmberg Lorentz McMann
Dewar/Reaves

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There is no question he's one of their best 12 on merit, but whether the team will follow merit is the question

I don’t feel as strongly as you do obviously on the first part of your sentence. I like Holmberg but he really hasn’t done anything that separates himself from any of the other fringe roster players.

A trade will likely be made and it’ll work out, but if say all of Pacioretty, Cowan and Robertson make this roster (which is entirely possible) then without a move I could see Holmberg on the outside looking in.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
The Jarnkrok signing never made sense. I would have understood if it was a two year contract, but four years was insane. Kampf I also disagreed with but I at least understand the thinking because he’s a center.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm not following, how has it "worked out"? We haven't really done much as we haven't the cap space to spend, unless you call signing guys like Domi, Bertuzzi, Reaves or whoever else as major moves so not sure what you mean.

Why stop there? If you consider almost winning to be an accomplishment, you could go on and on and on about what this group has accomplished over the years.

IMHO, the biggest reason we can't get over the hump is our legendary inability to score goals in game 7. Hard to blame the goalie when you can't score and I don't know how you can blame the coach when the players keep playing poorly in game 7.

Based on recent performance, bending over for Marner or his dad or whoever is making decisions this time around would be blowing a defining moment. Save the cap space for something else, maybe it works out and maybe it doesn't (there are never any guarantees no matter what) but the chances of success while spending a ton on Marner seem pretty darn slim to me.

If Marner kills it in the playoffs next spring, that could change things but as it stands right now, I'd rather bet on someone else for a change.
Marner’s tone and actions so far this season may sway management’s decision to move on from him. I think they are leaning towards re-signing him, but maybe they’ll reevaluate.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When a teacher makes a team with four core players nylander matthews tavares and marner who are not willing to do (anything) to win, the it wont work. You have to yzerman-claude lemieux-roy it up, to win. Cheat, fight, hit, eat noses and scramble. Cheat. We are not being doing that. Not with the core of these players. For that to change... it’s not even probable. Even if one of them would do something special, like dropping a key guy or like telling it off by talking in every single game... even words can kill. We have not been able to do that. Now we will see again where will this same core lead us.... gary roberts, sundin tucker thomas belfoue quinn almost did that. See why? Read my post again and you'see. And learn why.
What you describe is not cheating, it’s called playing hockey. The Leafs pay too much of the cap to guys that don’t do any of that and have no money for skilled players that are willing to do that stuff.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Really liking Stolarz game. Would not be shocked at all if he emerges as our game 1 starter in the playoffs should we make it to that point. He seems to track pucks well, and his big frame and positional awareness really compliment how we have historically defended and are looking to defend this season.

i am also loving the addition of Lorentz and Pacioretty. I know they are both on PTO's but they really seem to be locks for a roster spot already IMO. Shocked at how much jump Patches still looks to have. He's engaged physically and still has a stride. I was not expecting that after his long recovery.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Kind of the irony, isn't it? Everyone here bitches about the core and how they "never show up", and despite that they came one goal from knocking off the two-time defending Cup champions in a series where the only players that showed up were the CORE.
The Leafs playoff issues are almost entirely a product of bad goaltending and Keefe's inability to get the entire team firing at the same time; instead, either the core is going and no one else is, or that desired out-of-nowhere player actually shows up... And is the only one.

The core needs to be extraordinary for the team to make a run. Would you agree that Leon and Connor were extraordinary for the Oil? If they weren't they would not have made it nearly as far. They negated the not great goaltending and D. The core has never done that, and you guys keep making excuses for them. They are paid to carry the team. They will not go far if they don't carry them.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The only way it makes sense to ship both or one of them out is if they are truly using the 4th line as a checking line and not in a defensive role.

Otherwise, keep the better players and get rid of Reaves, don't sign Lorentz.

If they want Reaves and Lorentz in the lineups, I guess put Holmberg between them and ship Kampf and Jarnkrok, then shelter them and play them 5 minutes a night.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

"Man with CTE has terrible insight"

Nothing shocking here.

Thought it was a bad hit on Tavares, but Montreal is lucky Reaves wasn't playing because that'd never happen with him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
lol that actually made me chuckle. Nylander does get migraines though. Might want to avoid the friendly fire.

For sure, but it was a fluke play, I'm not sure it needed to be done by Robertson, but it is a common play.

Kypreos acting like Robertson tried to hurt him or this is the first time it happened is just funny.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don't really understand the "trade Jarnkrok" chatter when the "waive Reaves" option is just sitting there.
Well, they won't because Reeves is Tre's guy and suits Berube as a player, which is what it is...

But it also doesn't clear enough space to get Pacioretty in and possibly Lorentz in without having to do cap gymnastics all year. Personally, I'd try to move Kampf first, but I'm sure they're as willing.

The realistic waiver option is likely going to be Timmins.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Well, they won't because Reeves is Tre's guy and suits Berube as a player, which is what it is...

But it also doesn't clear enough space to get Pacioretty in and possibly Lorentz in without having to do cap gymnastics all year. Personally, I'd try to move Kampf first, but I'm sure they're as willing.

The realistic waiver option is likely going to be Timmins.
You can fit Pacioretty by waiving Reaves and Timmins pretty easily. But yeah, the guy to move is Kampf if necessary. Jarnkrok just has a lot more utility.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Myers, Rifai and Timmons are the options. For me it’s tough to gauge at the moment how they’ll handle it.
They have 5 older prospects who are waiver exempt.
Exclude Chadwick.
If looking for an extra carry without waivers ...

1727451485702.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad