Training Camp '16-17 Thread II | Down to the Nitty Gritty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
After reading this article written by Jim Rutherford, I would say that Chiarelli had not yet assembled all the information a GM usually has when making major moves like trades or early round draft picks. I think both making the picks or the Reinhart trade were equally risky propositions at that point in time.

I would argue the exact opposite. An experienced GM like Chiarelli would have had ample information in his 'box' about Reinhart, and would have developed many scouting and amateur connections to have knowledge on prospects available at those picks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pitlick = Hendricks
Lander = Caggiula
Yakupov = Versteeg
3rd line = 4th line

That would be my healthy lineup, with Pitlick as 13th and Lander in the PB. Given that we hardly ever see a healthy lineup I have no problem what-so-ever with Pitlick or Lander in-and-out of the bottom 6. Lander is what he is, and imo he can still be useful in the bottom 6. Pitlick, he just seems to be good in every pre-season, I don't know if it will translate to reg season... but he has earned a looked, that seems to be evident.

Huh? Pitlick was awful last preseason, but good during the prior season before getting injured. I have very little doubt he is an NHL player if he can stay healthy, which for him is something that hasnt happened in about 6 or 7 years. Maybe this year will finally be different, but who knows.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I would argue the exact opposite. An experienced GM like Chiarelli would have had ample information in his 'box' about Reinhart, and would have developed many scouting and amateur connections to have knowledge on prospects available at those picks.

Do we know if he was allowed to contact his brother (the scout) or any other former Bruins resource at that point in time? What I'm arguing is that, yes, while he may have still had his personal connections, he also had scouting and analytics reports that he viewed as flawed (i.e., hence me stating he did not have all his information a GM is usually has when making major moves).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

so Chia was suppose to bring the scouting report of all prospects playing in the AHL with him?

He went with what his assistants gave him at draft.

He is the one who pulled the trigger at the end so he should get blamed but it really isnt a big deal. you win some you lose some.. time to move on!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
so how is that related to being a linemate of McDavid?
Are RNH or Draisaitl scrubs ?

No, but McDavid is the best player in setting up others to score (best at almost everything really) and I would want the best scorers playing with him, i.e. Lucic and Eberle. I don't like to put that much weight in pre-season games. If they wouldn't start to perform after 10-15 games I wouls start thinking as you do, but not at the moment.

We're talking about potential 20-20 seasons from Pouliot and Maroon while Lucic, with a great season, would probably be a 30-30 player.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Huh? Pitlick was awful last preseason, but good during the prior season before getting injured. I have very little doubt he is an NHL player if he can stay healthy, which for him is something that hasnt happened in about 6 or 7 years. Maybe this year will finally be different, but who knows.

You're probably right, just off the top of my head I seem to remember him doing real good playing on the door step of NHL but every time he got a sniff it hasn't worked out... Maybe I am confusing pre-season with AHL :laugh:

Injury has obviously played a big part in that though.

No matter, as I said, he deserves to be on the opening roster imo.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
so Chia was suppose to bring the scouting report of all prospects playing in the AHL with him?

He went with what his assistants gave him at draft.

He is the one who pulled the trigger at the end so he should get blamed but it really isnt a big deal. you win some you lose some.. time to move on!

No, but lack of info is not an excuse as he has a wealth of info from his experiences along with the info from the employees he kept on.

You're right though, no need to worry about it as long as you win more than you lose

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
The stars have finally aligned for Pitlick. Displaying the heaviness that Chia covets and even scoring some goals to boot. With Hendricks out there's no way he doesn't make the team... Right? Rooted for this kid for several seasons so I'm glad he finally has a chance to be an NHLer. Lucic, Maroon, Pouliot and Pitlick makes our left wing so damn beastly and all with some skill.

Klefbom and Pitlick are two players that make me hold my breath whenever they get hit. Hope they stay injury free ...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The stars have finally aligned for Pitlick. Displaying the heaviness that Chia covets and even scoring some goals to boot. With Hendricks out there's no way he doesn't make the team... Right? Rooted for this kid for several seasons so I'm glad he finally has a chance to be an NHLer.

Klefbom and Pitlick are two players that make me hold my breath whenever they get hit. Hope they stay injury free ...

McDavid too every rush. hes going 100% an hour with D chasing him. It only takes 1 D to dive for the puck and take out his legs to have him going into boards again

Sometimes I wish he wasnt so good at beating D wide

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Speaking of beating D wide. there 1 time last night where McDavid picked up pick in NZ with some speed. Jets D was on their blueline and nromally would pivot to face the forward and take him one on one.

Nope, this D saw it was McDavid and started as fast as he could towards his own net while trying to find McDavid rushing down. Needless to say McDavid still got around him with speed which was insane to see. This was a D going full steam ahead with a considerable gap advantage

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Nope, this D saw it was McDavid and started as fast as he could towards his own net while trying to find McDavid rushing down. Needless to say McDavid still got around him with speed which was insane to see. This was a D going full steam ahead with a considerable gap advantage

Too bad they didn't show that in the highlights. That's insane.

When they were talking about McDavid's speed during the World Cup and how he was even faster than last season I almost choked on my drink. Hard to compute.

Speed kills but I hope this applies to the opposition then McDavid himself.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Speaking of beating D wide. there 1 time last night where McDavid picked up pick in NZ with some speed. Jets D was on their blueline and nromally would pivot to face the forward and take him one on one.

Yeah it was Stuart. I laughed out loud watching him completely turn his back to McDavid to skate forward into his zone when McDavid hadn't even hit the centre line yet. And yeah McDavid still blew by him lol.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's amazing watching him switch gears like that. The only player that o can think of with that ability was Bure.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I was absolutely wrong on Griff, ive accepted that now. Guy seems to lack the motivation and hockey sense to stick with the big club.
Im ok with what we gave up for what Griff could have been. We won that draft with McDavid, could care less about Barzal but Aho would have been nice. Oh well took a chance and it didn't pay off. Time to move on

6God*

Watched this happen live at the game. Was laughing so hard. Just ridiculous speed. Like a video game.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
You guys think Russel makes his way up from Carolina for the game tomorrow?

I would guess yes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad