Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Ltir dewar and hakanpaa, sign patches. No other moves needed. I’d rather hold onto jarnkrok over signing Lorentz.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
nobody want to give him a contract,he's on a PTO with hope to finish with a contract. Guy like lorentz, you will see a dozen like him being waive before start of season

I dont have any idea of shutdown line but giving you an option than bring back domi at C on offensive situation ( trying to keep him away of tought defensive situation

You need a little bit of everything in a team and at C they are pretty thin and its not in november than you will find option from trade...
I put more stock in Lorentz than you do. I think he brings things we need and don't have any would prefer we pay 1 x $900K for the 4C than 3 x $2.4.

I am not a Kampf hater, however with an eye on team building I don't like the value for contract. Why compared him to Lorentz when he is making 2.5 times more than him? My lines might look like...

Knies Matthews Domi
Robertson Nylander Marner
Pacioretty Tavares McMann
Lorentz Holmberg Jarnkrok
Cowan (worked into the lineup for at least 9 games)
Reaves (waived is Jarnkrok isn't traded too)
Dewar (IT)

What does your roster and cap compliant forward group look like? I ask because I can't see it working unless you dump Jarnkrok and would rather jettison Kampf's contract, but would be happy with both.

Actually the entire roster needs that salary out so we can protect Timmons (until Hakanpaa is back), Murray (i think we need a 3rd), and bring Dewar back when healthy.

Ltir dewar and hakanpaa, sign patches. No other moves needed. I’d rather hold onto jarnkrok over signing Lorentz.

That's a fair position. I have started to like what Lorentz brings and would certainly like the contract and potential playoff value more than what Jarnkrok brings.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I honestly don't know what we're going to do about our 4th line

Are we going with a physical tone setting line or a defensively responsible bury them in the defensive zone line

Kampf isn't physical, but he is a good defensive forward, as is Jarnkrok and Holmberg
Reeves and Lorenz want to hit everything but I wouldn't trust either of them defensively and Dewar can do a bit of both

Those players don't mix well and when you do mix them you lose any identity you may of had and they struggle to be physical or good defensively

They need to sort it out then we know who should be on the chopping block

It's definitely a bit of a mess. Reaves and Kampf can't effectively play together since Reaves requires heavily sheltered minutes and Kampf is useless in the offensive zone.

I don't dislike Kampf as much as some, but he probably should be moved and just try to put together an energy group of guys for the 4th, at least that's what Berube seems to want

Reactions: Kiwi

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's definitely a bit of a mess. Reaves and Kampf can't effectively play together since Reaves requires heavily sheltered minutes and Kampf is useless in the offensive zone.

I don't dislike Kampf as much as some, but he probably should be moved and just try to put together an energy group of guys for the 4th, at least that's what Berube seems to want

I think this is an important point. When I say we should move on from Kampf and Jarnkrok is has a lot to do with

(a) i think we want a fourth line with an identity made up of Reaves, Lorentz, Dewar and not Jarnkrok, Kampf and Holmberg.

(b) Going with three scoring lines spreading out the core four should mean even less ES ice time for the fourth line.

Based on these two factors, I don't think we should be happily committing $4.5M to two guys that aren't what we are looking for, don't produce in the playoffs and won't get much ice time.

We have enough forward depth that we should be making these moves. That space and those spots could go a long way for us to define a new identity.

There are 48 ES minutes per night. If we want the top three lines to average 15 ES minutes per night, that leaves 3 minutes for the fourth. There are 12 PK forward minutes and 24 PP forward minutes. We need to make sure we have PK coverage if we move Kampf and/or Jarnkrok

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I put more stock in Lorentz than you do. I think he brings things we need and don't have any would prefer we pay 1 x $900K for the 4C than 3 x $2.4.

I am not a Kampf hater, however with an eye on team building I don't like the value for contract. Why compared him to Lorentz when he is making 2.5 times more than him? My lines might look like...

Knies Matthews Domi
Robertson Nylander Marner
Pacioretty Tavares McMann
Lorentz Holmberg Jarnkrok
Cowan (worked into the lineup for at least 9 games)
Reaves (waived is Jarnkrok isn't traded too)
Dewar (IT)

What does your roster and cap compliant forward group look like? I ask because I can't see it working unless you dump Jarnkrok and would rather jettison Kampf's contract, but would be happy with both.

Actually the entire roster needs that salary out so we can protect Timmons (until Hakanpaa is back), Murray (i think we need a 3rd), and bring Dewar back when healthy.

That's a fair position. I have started to like what Lorentz brings and would certainly like the contract and potential playoff value more than what Jarnkrok brings.

Working only if Nylander prove he can play center at NHL level and its a huge guest right now

For sure cap hit matter and i would be fine moving Kampf if leafs would have better option... but that's the problem... i dont see any better option and just a huge package of guest.

At least we know exactly the impact Kampf could have in the defensive part. May

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd agree that's what Berube probably wants but I think having a line of Holmberg Kampf and Jarnkrok you can bury in the defensive zone would be extremely useful if Nylander is going to be playing center

I'd rather have those guys doing 10 minutes of tough defensive work than Matthews, his line is to good offensively to waste like that and the other two lines seem unsuitable for that type of use

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd agree that's what Berube probably wants but I think having a line of Holmberg Kampf and Jarnkrok you can bury in the defensive zone would be extremely useful if Nylander is going to be playing center

I'd rather have those guys doing 10 minutes of tough defensive work than Matthews, his line is to good offensively to waste like that and the other two lines seem unsuitable for that type of use

My feeling is between Jarnkrok and Kampf, Jarnkrok may be diminishing returns and is so bland to begin with. If you're adding Pacioretty with a full time Robertson you'll have more scoring throughout the lineup, and Lorentz gives you more bite in an energy role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad