Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
It better be really good imo. Just a pick won't help much. Dump a bigger contract instead.

Robertson played very well with Nylander and McMann so I think he will stay.

I think moving Robertson is a big mistake given our circumstances. You can't teach "the motor" the kid has (look at our team, how many people have the motor he does?), and he scored 15 goals last season playing third line minutes, limited PP time, in and out of the line up.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
According to who?
The only time I’ve ever heard us being linked to Weegar was Dubas offering a package involving Andreas Johnsson which Florida obviously turned down

And if we’re taking both having been UFAs, there are a ton of reasons why players don’t end up in certain cities that have nothing to do with the team choosing the other option over them.
Not going into this in detail as there is plenty on the topic in past posts, but it involved Johnsson and Kapanen.

Dubas chose to resign both as opposed to pushing that trade over the finish line.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not going into this in detail as there is plenty on the topic in past posts, but it involved Johnsson and Kapanen.

Dubas chose to resign both as opposed to pushing that trade over the finish line.

A theory proposed by media, that was later denied by Florida, but seems to live one anyway.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
A theory proposed by media, that was later denied by Florida, but seems to live one anyway.
This is not an Ecklund trash thing, this was an Elliott Friedman thing.

Don’t have to like it and no interest in revisiting it, but it isn’t to be dismissed either.

Everyone can believe whatever they want.

Leaving it at this.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Trading Nick Robertson to make room for Max Pacioretty would be this generations version of waiving Steve Sullivan to make room for Dmitri Khristich. Just a monumentally stupid move that would bite this franchise in the ass for years afterwards.
I agree and I like the reference too.

What I can't figure out is why Lorentz and Pacioretty are here on PTOs without contracts. The implication has been that Pacioretty is all but signed and it's a formality.

I have a theory and I am not even sure if it is possible under the CBA. Is there any chance that one or both of those guys don't get signed when camp ends but they stay working out with the team? A month into the season (possibly sooner) we should know if Cowan is staying or going (9 games), we might have an injury or two, or maybe we trade Kampf and/or Jarnkrok to make room? These things could happen sooner and make this easier to navigate but it does give us some flexibility to not have to make moves.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Kampf or Jarnkrok. Those two IMO are the most expendable players on the roster and I can't narrow down which one the Leafs would miss the least.

Kampf:

Strengths: Plays centre, defensively responsible, PKs, good on the draw.

Weaknesses: Offensively challenged, not particularly fast, soft, can't play higher in the lineup than fourth line.

Jarnkrok:

Strengths: Good for 15-ish goals and 30-35 points every healthy 82 game season, defensively responsible, PKs, can play centre in a pinch, able to play on lines 2-4, shoots right-handed.

Weaknesses: Soft, not particularly fast, not good on the draw, disappears in the playoffs.

Moving Jarnkrok would leave Reaves as our next best right-handed winger after Marner, assuming Nylander sticks at centre, which doesn't feel ideal. On the other hand it'd be easier to replace Jarnkrok on the wing than Kampf at centre. Are any of Holmberg, Dewar, or Lorentz capable of eating Kampf's minutes and crucially winning D-zone faceoffs? Holmberg's got the numbers, maybe it's time to let him run with the role. Holmberg could also usurp Jarnkrok's role as the swiss-army winger.

The biggest hang-up in all of this is if any team even want Kampf at his cap-hit. Jarnkrok would be an easier sell on a team and we likely wouldn't have to add anything to off-load him. Jarnkrok is the more versatile player, but as a winger we should have an easier time replacing him. This is such a dumb problem. Could've avoided all of this of Treliving just kept Lafferty as 4C last season and let Kampf walk.

Feels like Jarny's on the way out. Hopefully that's enough to fix the cap crunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad