GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The problem with this is that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander arent good enough.

I remember what that decade and a half was like before we started making the playoffs again

Go back to that? Things weren't great back in the "good old days"

They need to find new faces who can help, not retreads that didn’t make a difference when they were here imo…….

Might even get a shot at a guest appearance on Hee Haw………

Exactly the point I was making, been there done that with Brown

Reactions: Rude Dog

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marner wants McDavid money. McDavid is putting up 2 points per game in the playoffs while playing center. Marner isn’t. That’s why people don’t want him returning.

Marner puts up 100 points and gets selke votes, that's still pretty bloody good and let's be honest and McDavid signed half a decade ago now and why Matthews jumped him

None of our boys have covered themselves in glory at playoff time

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looking ahead to the d-man class of next years free agency, this isn’t a bad year to invest in some guys IMO.

Solidify the d-core. There are some young wingers that I wouldn’t want to block on the roster, and I’m a fan of seeing what Will can do while having an opportunity for Hildeby if needed. If there’s a trade to bring in a top 6/9 centre, that would be huge as well.

There's a good amount of pretty interesting options, especially on defense. There shouldn't be any excuses this off-season and I sure hope they don't waste another 4M+ in cap space. This off-season could be the turning point between completely imploding back into an average/bad team or taking the next step into being a contender.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner puts up 100 points and gets selke votes, that's still pretty bloody good and let's be honest and McDavid signed half a decade ago now and why Matthews jumped him

None of our boys have covered themselves in glory at playoff time
100% but they just signed 34 and 88 and Marner is a pending UFA. If they have decided that they have seen enough to tell them a change is needed, Marner is the odd man out. I'd have no problem bringing Marner back but not a chance in hell at the numbers he is looking at when 34 and 88 are already getting $24.75m between them. Been there, done that. Time to move on.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I like Skjei and Roy personally.
I like Roy a lot and Skjei as well but I think Skjei will get priced out from us. Not so much of a fan of Tanev (dunno when his play will just stop being good), and Zadorov (I think that contract will be TERRIBLE for anyone signing him). Also think Walker can be okay if his number stays in 4's.

I think Toronto needs to worry about how these players are going to preform for the next 4-5 years and then worry about their decline afterwards.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I like Roy a lot and Skjei as well but I think Skjei will get priced out from us. Not so much of a fan of Tanev (dunno when his play will just stop being good), and Zadorov (I think that contract will be TERRIBLE for anyone signing him). Also think Walker can be okay if his number stays in 4's.

I think Toronto needs to worry about how these players are going to preform for the next 4-5 years and then worry about their decline afterwards.
Tanev wouldn’t be a bad addition if we’ve already added two other dmen to our blueline. Say if you’re adding Theodore through a Marner trade and also signing Roy, I wouldn’t mind Tanev at that point. I don’t want Tanev to be our best or second best defenceman acquisition though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
100% but they just signed 34 and 88 and Marner is a pending UFA. If they have decided that they have seen enough to tell them a change is needed, Marner is the odd man out. I'd have no problem bringing Marner back but not a chance in hell at the numbers he is looking at when 34 and 88 are already getting $24.75m between them. Been there, done that. Time to move on.

Even if Marner gets 12.5M that's not even 38M between them on an 88M cap that's jumping 4M a year

We also have a bunch of cheap guys and cheap prospects coming, you can make this work reasonably easily

Marner doesn't have to go so we should value him properly and make a good trade, no Kadri screw ups

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
There's a good amount of pretty interesting options, especially on defense. There shouldn't be any excuses this off-season and I sure hope they don't waste another 4M+ in cap space. This off-season could be the turning point between completely imploding back into an average/bad team or taking the next step into being a contender.
I don't think I agree, but I would like to see you expand on that. To me all the same key losers will play no matter how they fair in Free Agency. So if we sign Pesce, a goalie, etc. we still don't have enough. Tor's forwards don't play heavy, they don't score on the PP, they don't forecheck very well, don't score in elimination games, etc. I'm with you. I don't want them to waste 4M + in cap space.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Even if Marner gets 12.5M that's not even 38M between them on an 88M cap that's jumping 4M a year

We also have a bunch of cheap guys and cheap prospects coming, you can make this work reasonably easily

Marner doesn't have to go so we should value him properly and make a good trade, no Kadri screw ups

If the only problem was that we couldn't afford depth, you'd have a great point. Not only do those contracts impact our depth, but they also don't play well int he play-offs.

Reactions: ToneDog

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Hot take: all of the Leafs’ issues to make the a perfect contender can’t be fixed in one offseason.

What they can do is still put together a competitive team that might make a run, while also positioning themselves to leverage Tavares and Marner’s contracts off the books next offseason.

They need to avoid bogging the cap down with mediocre players on poor mid to long term contracts.

What the Leafs do have in house are some nice forward prospects on the wing. Plan to reallocate money into the blue line, with another top 9 centre, and goaltending.
Yeah I don't think we can do much to the forward core if we end up keeping Marner this summer, just not enough $$

Sign a couple top 4 defenseman, get a goalie, sign the RFAs and that'll take up most of the cap room. I'm really hoping the Leafs target Roy + Walker this summer, they should come in at a combined 10-11 million and give us 2 top 4 RHDs

Next summer we can focus on reshaping the forward group more significantly

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man imagine signing all of Montour, Skjei, Demelo in addition to getting Theodore lol
I mean it would be doable if Rielly and Marner waive there NMC

Is it probable...no unfortunately not.

Still does show that if our management can somehow convince 1 of Tavares or Rielly to waive their NMC + the rumored marner deal, we can build a pretty incredible defense

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Trade Marner + Liljegren + Gregor
For
Saros + Evangelista + Schenn + Tomasino

Then trade Rielly to Vancouver for Garland + rights of Hronek

Rebuild defence with the signings of Montour + Zadorov/Roy/Tanev

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Imagine we traded for Theodore and signed Pesce and Roy through free agency….

Theodore - Roy
Rielly - Pesce
Benoit - McCabe

Thompson - Woll

Would be one heck of a backend. Best we’ve seen in a very long time.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Hold up, it's always been our cap allocation to the big 4 up front, we can't sink that much cap % on 4 guys in the one area of the team

That was pretty much always the argument so let's not play pretend now
We had 4 guys making over 50% of the cap

Tavares is going to be gone or taking a massive paycut soon, we have 20M to spend right now and another huge whack of money next off-season, the cap is rising and we actually have a decent number of young cheap reinforcements coming

The Marner stuff just looks like scapegoating to me, fine get rid of him for penny's on the dollar but just remember things can be much much worse than this
ok and? The thing being talked about is players making 11 million+ right now.

Woll is due for a new contract after next season. If Greb has 2 pretty god seasons his contract is up in 2 years and will need a new one. Knies needs a new contract after next season. All these guys ready to step up will be due for new contracts not long after all this extra cap space is available to us.

It's not scapegoating, he's just the the one making the most money who ghosts as the series goes past game 3. He's just the guy who is probably gonna get 12 million + on his next contract. I don't see how things can get worse when all we do is lose in the 1st round. If you actually believe we will miss the playoffs without Marner then you have just become delusional and way too attached to 1 player on this team.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If the only problem was that we couldn't afford depth, you'd have a great point. Not only do those contracts impact our depth, but they also don't play well int he play-offs.

Our depth will be better than it has been since Kadri was around, we're talking about trading players with actual value like Jarnkrok, Kampf, Robertson and Liljegren because we don't need them

So a complete rebuild? Who's telling the MLSE board they will make 10-20M less a year over the next decade then?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
ok and? The thing being talked about is players making 11 million+ right now.

Woll is due for a new contract after next season. If Greb has 2 pretty god seasons his contract is up in 2 years and will need a new one. Knies needs a new contract after next season. All these guys ready to step up will be due for new contracts not long after all this extra cap space is available to us.

It's not scapegoating, he's just the the one making the most money who ghosts as the series goes past game 3. He's just the guy who is probably gonna get 12 million + on his next contract. I don't see how things can get worse when all we do is lose in the 1st round. If you actually believe we will miss the playoffs without Marner then you have just become delusional and way too attached to 1 player on this team.

The cap will be over 90M after next season and last I looked we had about 20M to spend now and at least that amount next season

Our RFA'S shouldn't be prohibitively expensive to resign and we have a bunch of ECL'S coming to like Cowan Grebyonkin, Hildeby, Niemela, Minten and maybe even this seasons 1st rounder

So the cap stuff pointless bull

If you want Marner gone because he doesn't perform at playoff time just man up and say it instead of this other pointless rubbish

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Trade Marner + Liljegren + Gregor
For
Saros + Evangelista + Schenn + Tomasino

Then trade Rielly to Vancouver for Garland + rights of Hronek

Rebuild defence with the signings of Montour + Zadorov/Roy/Tanev
not the worst proposal I've read here, losing Marner AND Reilly along with not resigning JT would definitely change the culture and free up dollars to fix the team proper.........

The cap will be over 90M after next season and last I looked we had about 20M to spend now and at least that amount next season

Our RFA'S shouldn't be prohibitively expensive to resign and we have a bunch of ECL'S coming to like Cowan Grebyonkin, Hildeby, Niemela, Minten and maybe even this seasons 1st rounder

So the cap stuff pointless bull

If you want Marner gone because he doesn't perform at playoff time just man up and say it instead of this other pointless rubbish
pure speculation, the cap will go up when the cap goes up............

Reactions: DougGilmour93

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Seems like the obvious choice is to use two PP units, right?
One would think. But the way our roster is constructed PP1 plays all but maybe 25% of the powerplay most games. Is Rielly worth 7.5 million if he isn't putting up points, cause his defense is about average at best?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd be all in on the best defender they can get, along with 3rd. pairing defender.
An option get 2 second pairing defenders to play behind Rielly. Still be without a true top 1st. pairing but rely on depth defending.

Ranked Order
  1. New Guy 1
  2. Rielly
  3. McCabe
  4. Liljegren
  5. New Guy 2 (Lyubushkin type)
  6. New Guy 3 (prospect(s))
Just think having at least 1 defender you don't have to hope can do the job, is better than getting 2 defenders that people think have untapped potential and are signed to a hope contract.

You probably all have your "MyWishHeCanDoItInToronto" choice rather than the everyone knows he's good.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One would think. But the way our roster is constructed PP1 plays all but maybe 25% of the powerplay most games. Is Rielly worth 7.5 million if he isn't putting up points, cause his defense is about average at best?
your being generous calling Rielly's defense about average imo. if there's a good trade offered (and he'd waive), I'd move him in a New York minute..............

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I could give two hoots about Rielly putting up points, if he's a roadblock to an effective PP1. What he makes shouldn't determine where he plays in an earned position team.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I could give two hoots about Rielly putting up points, if he's a roadblock to an effective PP1. What he makes shouldn't determine where he plays in an earned position team.
You're missing the context of what I replied to. I said it only makes sense to spend big on an offensive defenseman who will play PP1 if we move Rielly, because Rielly gets most of his value from generating points, which he needs ample PP time to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad