GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Vegas does seem like a team Mitchy Money would waive for - have to think Marner would want to impress in a contract year there through, while vgk would be deterred by not having him signed.

Could result in a solid package, if he finally caves on a sign/trade

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
If moving Marner is the play I am looking at a #2C who can step into the lineup this year as the #3C then after Tavares is done his contact bumps up to #2.

Say Tre signs Bertuzzi and Domi they play with Matthews. Knies and Willy would slot with the new #2C next year. Solid top 6 then say JT signs team-friendly deal you got him and McMann as the 3rd line.

yes we need a top pairing D but #2C would be a long term void to fill.

Reactions: Zero1 and Avilaj07

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If moving Marner is the play I am looking at a #2C who can step into the lineup this year as the #3C then after Tavares is done his contact bumps up to #2.

Say Tre signs Bertuzzi and Domi they play with Matthews. Knies and Willy would slot with the new #2C next year. Solid top 6 then say JT signs team-friendly deal you got him and McMann as the 3rd line.

Depends on what D/C is available via trade. If we can get Theo + Thompson + pick, then we can sign a Lindstrom. If a quality #2C is available, then you can sign one f the top UFA dmen.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

I would have to agree. With the amount of defensemen available this UFA season, I would definitely prefer a young 2nd line center in return for Marner. I've suggested it before but Buffalo makes a great trade partner.

They're absolutely stacked on the left side of the defense with Dahlin, Power, Byram and Samuelsson so Liljegren gives them a RHD who can possibly pair in their top 4.

To Toronto-
Cozens
Samuelsson
11th Overall Pick

To Buffalo-
Marner
Liljegren
Robertson
23rd Overall Pick

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

You've got a few options.

1. Hope to sign a UFA. -> Lindholm for example, though the demand for him will be high, he'll get well compensated, and I'd be shocked if he doesn't choose Boston. Chandler Stephenson is another name out there, that would be a consolation prize.
2. Trade for one... such as Shane Wright.

Plenty of D's out there to sign in Free Agency.

Personally, I'm a fan of going after Wright, whom you'd have control of for years.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Guys, I love Matthew Tkachuk and would kill for him to be on the leafs, maybe he does have some huge GREAT impact on the rest of the team, but in the last 2 years for Florda.

Bob went from the worst contract in the league back to being a vezina calibre goalie
Forsling went from an nhl journeymen to a top 10-15 defender in the league.
Montour is a similar situation. Reinhart scored 24 goals more than his career high. Obviously they won the tkachuk deal, but they had some VERY large improvements on some players.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Hopefully this Marner situation is sorted out before the start of free agency. I don’t want them to miss out on the big names.

I’m really hoping for Montour + Roy.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Have to think either Necas or Jarvis out of Carolina... either would work as that 2C. Nikishin is an intriguing add as well - being a big, strong puck mover who's offensively gifted. Scott Morrow would be another good add for the blueline. Something around them seem to fit.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Have to think either Necas or Jarvis out of Carolina... either would work as that 2C. Nikishin is an intriguing add as well - being a big, strong puck mover who's offensively gifted. Scott Morrow would be another good add for the blueline. Something around them seem to fit.
Let's get crazy Jarvis/Necas + rights to Jake the Snake!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oh, I did not know that, and no, Tkachuk is the main reason they’re where they are, that and Bob being a brick wall……….
Tkachuk also had a lot to do with everyone buying in to the mentality change.
I mean if Marner says you need to battle harder on the wall and forecheck like a demon are you going to listen? Do any of the 4 even have a that’s not acceptable button?
What playoff urgency and unity are you taking from them?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Guys, I love Matthew Tkachuk and would kill for him to be on the leafs, maybe he does have some huge GREAT impact on the rest of the team, but in the last 2 years for Florda.

Bob went from the worst contract in the league back to being a vezina calibre goalie
Forsling went from an nhl journeymen to a top 10-15 defender in the league.
Montour is a similar situation. Reinhart scored 24 goals more than his career high. Obviously they won the tkachuk deal, but they had some VERY large improvements on some players.

Not to mention taking on a struggling Bennett, a castaway in Verheaghe.... The organization managed to take a bunch of players who were much less elsewhere, and have gotten the most out of them. Amazing job.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not to mention taking on a struggling Bennett, a castaway in Verheaghe.... The organization managed to take a bunch of players who were much less elsewhere, and have gotten the most out of them. Amazing job.
That just shows you how important the sum of the parts is.
Verheaghe, Reinhart, Cousins, Forsling, Bennett, Rodrigues, all together form something greater than just paying guys 10 million dollars and hope it works.
You need a smaller core and the right positions with an entourage that elevates it.
Barkov/Tkachuk are the 2 higher forwards.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
They are paying 17m for Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Forsling and Montour.

I'm not saying they didn't win the deal, I would basically trade anyone on the leafs not named Matthews for Tkachuk but Tkachuk wasn't an overly great playoff performer before going to an absolutely loaded Florida team.

But saying they are about to win a cup because of Tkachuk is making this guy sound like Gretzky. You add any playoff contending team the calibre of those players for 17m, they're going to become an absolute f***ing wagon no matter who is on the team.

That just shows you how important the sum of the parts is.
Verheaghe, Reinhart, Cousins, Forsling, Bennett, Rodrigues, all together form something greater than just paying guys 10 million dollars and hope it works.
You need a smaller core and the right positions with an entourage that elevates it.
Barkov/Tkachuk are the 2 higher forwards.
You are acting like every team in the league has contracts and players like Forsling/Reinhart/Verhaeghe though. Florida has about 6-7 of these contracts, like these aren't ELCs, these are players that have been thrown away by other teams that had a crazy development curve

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tkachuk also had a lot to do with everyone buying in to the mentality change.
I mean if Marner says you need to battle harder on the wall and forecheck like a demon are you going to listen? Do any of the 4 even have a that’s not acceptable button?
What playoff urgency and unity are you taking from them?
yup.........

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
They play like a team, no free riders allowed. And yes Barkov has been a stud………
Barkov has been unreal. Some of the stats for him defensively this playoffs are amazing.

Any team could use a guy like that.

He's not flashy but he still puts up points but doesn't give an inch on the ice and just goes about doing his thing.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They are paying 17m for Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Forsling and Montour.

I'm not saying they didn't win the deal, I would basically trade anyone on the leafs not named Matthews for Tkachuk but Tkachuk wasn't an overly great playoff performer before going to an absolutely loaded Florida team.

But saying they are about to win a cup because of Tkachuk is making this guy sound like Gretzky. You add any playoff contending team the calibre of those players for 17m, they're going to become an absolute f***ing wagon no matter who is on the team.

You are acting like every team in the league has contracts and players like Forsling/Reinhart/Verhaeghe though. Florida has about 6-7 of these contracts, like these aren't ELCs, these are players that have been thrown away by other teams that had a crazy development curve
I know Marice is hated here, but credit where credit's due...............

Barkov has been unreal. Some of the stats for him defensively this playoffs are amazing.

He's not flashy but he still puts up points but doesn't give an inch on the ice and just goes about doing his thing.
yup, probably not flashy enough for the Leafs though, they like their shiny toys, whether they work or not..........

Reactions: Burnie97

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

yup, probably not flashy enough for the Leafs though, they like their shiny toys, whether they work or not..........
Yeah, if anything Maurice deserves a lot of credit there at least in my opinion.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What i said, put Marner in a system where Marner will be able to exploit his strenght and you will get the best of him. The biggest change Flrorida did fron 2022 to 2023 is not Tkachuk, it's Paul Maurice who finally bring an identity to this team and they found their identity after second half of season. That's why they finally been able to get succes in playoff. Under Maurice florida become one of best defensive team after being one of worst previous 5 and it's started with Maurice, not Tkachuk. The playoff leader of this team is not Tkachuk, it's Barkov and Florida started to have succes the moment they accepted to play as a team the Barkov way.

Personally you will ask me what are leafs identity right now and honestly i dont have any kind of idea. The 1st step is to create an identity to this team, something Dubas/Keefe failed.

put Marner in a system where the leafs will play fast and be really active, create yourself more space by creating more turnover or mistake and he will be better, no doubt about it.
Didn’t the Panthers won the President Trophy the year before Maurice came in and coached by Q? But then Q got suspended by thr league

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Didn’t the Panthers won the President Trophy the year before Maurice came in and coached by Q? But then Q got suspended by thr league
Yeah, won the presidents trophy and ran into Vasi playing like god in round 2.

Coach was Brunette I believe, Q got fired at the start of the year.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

Barkov is a top 3 player in the game. He's not flashy but still a ppg player while being possibly the best shutdown center in the game. Might not be a popular opinion here but I'd take Barkov over anyone on our Leafs team, and yes that includes Matthews.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Hopefully this Marner situation is sorted out before the start of free agency. I don’t want them to miss out on the big names.

I’m really hoping for Montour + Roy.
It will not be, the earliest the deal will come is July 1st, after his bonus and the ability to sign an extension kicks in.

I'm just looking forward for some clarity in the next few weeks with the draft and free agent frenzy coming up in a few weeks.

Reactions: Zero1

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Could you technically agree to a trade but submit it after July 1st? So bonuses are paid out and can talk extension "legally?"

Reactions: Burnie97

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Barkov is a top 3 player in the game. He's not flashy but still a ppg player while being possibly the best shutdown center in the game. Might not be a popular opinion here but I'd take Barkov over anyone on our Leafs team, and yes that includes Matthews.
Matthews scores so much though and is still good defensively. Obviously not as good as Barkov.

I'd still take Matthews but when you see Barkov go to the cup 2 years in a row you put up a good argument.

One of the best Cs in the game no doubt.

Well hopefully Treliving is working on that.

Could you technically agree to a trade but submit it after July 1st? So bonuses are paid out and can talk extension "legally?"
That's kinda how I figure they could do it.

Reactions: Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
even if thwy won president trophy, they was one of worst defensive team amou t playoff team and finally be swept in playoff.

Since like january/february last year where Florida finally find their identity, they are a top 3 defensive team in the NHL and they made life easier for Bobrovsky. That's the biggest difference
They got swept by the team that ended up winning the cup when the goalie they faced had a 980%. They were still a really good team.

Reactions: Gabriel426
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad