GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I am not saying we should keep Marner, I am saying other teams might have reason to believe he could get different results in a new environment and I cited a couple of relevant examples.

I am very much in the "trade Marner" camp and also believe he was signed to a bad contract. I am able to separate these feelings and opinions from the fact that Covid messed up a plan that Dubas had, even though Friedman' statement is correct...you still need to have a plan when you are running a business.
Bold of you to put your blind faith into a rookie GM that'd shown absolutely nothing. I wouldn't trust Dubas to plan a trip to the grocery store

Cozens contract is not a positive…people here would be losing their minds paying that much for his production.

He’s had one good year when basically every Sabre had heavily inflated offensive totals due to their complete lack of defensive game.
He's a young player stuck in the shitshow that is Buffalo. He's shown promise. I wouldn't hold playing for that team against him

Reactions: ToneDog

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Jervis, Necas plus 1st rounder for Marner.

Canes finally get a true top talent and traded two players who sort of wanted out.
Both teams benefit.
I have talked with a few Canes' fans when I asked them about Necas. According to them, he does not put the work in on the ice, and they are hoping he isn't brought back. Granted, that's only a few, but they were the only three (I believe) who responded to my question.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
For the Marner trade, the absolute best case scenario would be a Seider/Dobson return - not that I think it would ever happen, but one can hope. :)

I am thinking more along the lines of McBain, Crouse and the 6th overall, then pick the best D that is available in the draft.

If the trade is dependant on the signing bonus being paid, a 2025/2026 pick is too volatile in value and it would for certain have to be a hockey trade.
But the question is, would Utah want to do that as it could turn into what happened to us when we signed Tavares. I believe we weren't ready to do that signing at that time. Also, I've heard that Utah might just want to continue their rebuild/retool with their young players they have, as well as keeping their top draft picks. Again, it's just a rumor. However, I would be quite happy if that trade were to happen!

Reactions: Visnovsky

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For the Marner trade, the absolute best case scenario would be a Seider/Dobson return - not that I think it would ever happen, but one can hope. :)

I am thinking more along the lines of McBain, Crouse and the 6th overall, then pick the best D that is available in the draft.

If the trade is dependant on the signing bonus being paid, a 2025/2026 pick is too volatile in value and it would for certain have to be a hockey trade.

Hey man... you stole my trade.... :laugh:

I have Marner, Kampf, Jarnkrok for the McBain, Crouse, 6th.

I'd be happy to draft the best D, or even Cayden Lindstrom (C), if he's available at 6.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Eichel had no playoff record and there was considerable media smoke about him having attitude issues in Buffalo. Remember,.Vegas didn't trade for a proven Stanley cup winning 1C, he was a huge question mark at that point of his career.

There's nothing tangible, including even rumors from the media that suggests that is the case. He's one of the main pillars of Shanny's vision for the team - whose still in his position after receiving the vote of confidence from Pelly.

That's not to say he absolutely won't be traded. But folks shouldnt act like it's a lock.
So after hearing that press conference, and seeing how Shanahan looked, you believe Shanahan still has the final decision regarding who stays and who goes? Make no mistake about it, Pelley had no one who could step right into Shanahan's position when he took over. The rumors I've been hearing is that Pelley might have even removed the President's position by this time next year. It certainly appeared at the press conference, and what has transpired since then that Tre is the one now calling the shots.

Agree the Marleau signing was a huge blunder but Dubas fumbled it. You have no idea what Lou's plan was for the last year of that deal. If you do not sign Tavares or you bridge Marner, you'd now have Jarvis as your #2C. Sorry but a competent GM should have been able to handle it. One of the many mistakes he made over 5 years.

Only a complete ****wit would not blame him for the mishandling of the final year of that deal.
I agree with you 1000%!

• Love
Reactions: ToneDog

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Driedger is 2nd in the AHL playoffs in SV%. UFA this season who deserves another NHL shot. I would love him as a back up if the Leafs were to bring in a marquee goalie and deal Woll.
I am willing to wait at least one more season to see if management can help Woll overcome his injury history. Whenever he plays, he looks like a true #1 goalie. Way too much potential to give up on him yet.

Reactions: Kurtz

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

I wonder if there's a non-futures deal to be made for those two involving our roster guys that could be on the outs- Liljegren/Robertson/Kampf/Jarncrok. Could imagine Kunin taking a decent paycut for some stability and a chance to not be on an ass team

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder if there's a non-futures deal to be made for those two involving our roster guys that could be on the outs- Liljegren/Robertson/Kampf/Jarncrok. Could imagine Kunin taking a decent paycut for some stability and a chance to not be on an ass team
Kunin and Matthews are good buddies as well.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Can't say I've seen much of him, and obviously the stats on paper don't look great. But he's also on a legit awful team, and D and goaltending in particular are hard to assess on awful teams.

Benoit is a great example. Take him out of Anaheim, and all of a sudden he looks way better on paper and was very effective for his caphit.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Hmmmm, let's see, who's to blame?

The guy who gives the over 35 year old over 6M a year with term and a full NMC who could no longer score......

Or the person who didn't sign that deal but was left to deal with the aftermath after it had become toxic

I'm sure you would feel differently if Dubas last name was Marner though
It's just too bad that Dubas and Shanahan bent over backwards with the contracts and demands they so willingly gave to these three core members! Now look at the mess we are in 7 years later!

Who else was buying out a 6M contract for a pick? Go on give me the other names of teams

Are you insane? You wanted to sit Nylander during a contention year? 😂

Please, they were both top 9 wingers with scoring behind them at the time

So don't even try? With the best collection of talent we've had for decades?

There you go again, pretending you could see the future again

Jedi or magic 8 ball telling you this?
How far has this "best collection of talent" been able to take us in the playoffs for the past 8 years???

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don't get the Ferraro interest. Seems like another dime a dozen #4-6 type that the Leafs already have 4 of
I wouldn’t mind potentially revisiting that option if we can’t upgrade the blueline through free agency. There’s quite a few right handed defenceman this year that can be had for just cap space. Would love to sign Roy and Chatfield. Use assets you would have used to acquire Ferraro on a potential centerman.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs love to target LHDs. I think Ferraro is a good target and a smart bet to be a good pick up if the price makes sense but... can we prioritize the areas of need a little more? Depth is good but spending assets on an area where we're already fine in seems weird. It's not like he's a star or anything either... he's just a pretty mid range player at best.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
The disproportionate disadvantage the Leafs faced as a result of the flat cap is limited to the difference between the percentage of the cap they had recently locked up vs other teams.

If they locked up 50%, and other teams on average locked up 25%, than the competitive disadvantage was 25%, or 2.5M, against an expected 10M increase. On average, YoY, the disadvantage would be 1.25M through the timeline.

You could play with the numbers a bit, and break things down contract by contract, but given Marner alone was 4M overpaid (per terms of the contract), it's an embarrassing excuse to bring to the table for our failures.

None of the contracts were even full length, so we wouldnt have enjoyed the most fruitful years anyways.
Great post!

Reactions: LeafEgo

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Zito was available but Shanny hired the smarter, more progressive, forward thinking rookie GM. Posters who criticized his hiring of Maurice must be enjoying their crow.
Yea I don't get it. Zito has an undergrad from Yale, a law degree, and 25 years in the industry as an agent and AGM prior to joining Florida.

Dubas has "sports management" at brock, was an agent for 5 mins, got to play GM of his grand-daddy's OHL team, and somehow convinced one of the most prestigious NHL teams he was the man for the job. All in the span of a few years. Still can't figure that one out

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Wasn't good? they had absolutely no way of getting out of it without Marleau playing ball and we weren't rebuilding, the last year of that contract lined up with a bunch of RFA'S (Kapanen, Johnsson) we were already good when we got him

Either your memory sucks or your just a straight up liar

Prematurely? We had Matthews, Marner Nylander, Hyman, Brown, Kadri, Rielly, JVR, Bozak, and Gardiner

How the **** weren't we going to take a massive step forward with that talent?

Oh wow, big money 3 year deal to over 35 with zero way out turned bad, how ******* surprising

There was no solution, we were a cup contender going for it and couldn't afford that 6M on the books

Dubas took the only option open to us
Please tell me how and why you considered this team to be Stanley Cup contenders back then with these results?

2019-2020 results

Team Record: 36-25-9 (SO: 1-5) - 81 points
Finishing 3rd in the NHL's Atlantic Division
Postseason: 2-3
Lost NHL qualifying round
Qualifying round - Lost to
Columbus Blue Jackets 3-2

2020-2021 results

Team Record: 35-14-7 (SO: 1-0) - 77 points
Finishing 1st in the NHL's North Division
Postseason: 3-4
Lost first round
First Round - Lost to
Montreal Canadiens 4-3

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The Leafs love to target LHDs. I think Ferraro is a good target and a smart bet to be a good pick up if the price makes sense but... can we prioritize the areas of need a little more? Depth is good but spending assets on an area where we're already fine in seems weird. It's not like he's a star or anything either... he's just a pretty mid range player at best.
Depends how much you like McCabe on the right. If you think Ferraro will shine in the top 4 on a good team, you're not getting his equivalent in UFA at 3.25, unless it's as a big gamble. Then you move McCabe to the one of the spots on the right (with at his cap even 3rd pair with Benoit is viable) and have lots of options in UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad