Proposal: Trade Rumors/Proposals Thread 2013-2014 | Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hoffman-Spezza-Zibanejad is what I wanna see.

this is the most frustrating part. We have a 30 year old elite center and we are putting him with guys who are probably in way over their heads in the top 6.

either Michalek needs to play like his last two games or Spezza is going to be frustrated playing with such young talent who should be starting on the 3rd line.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
We seriously need to trade a couple of bodies to make room for Hoffman and Pageau, these guys are just tearing up the AHL at the moment. My gut feeling is that Zibanejad will be traded to get us a top 4 defender. Not saying that I want this to happen but judging by how much Maclean loves Smith, I just get that feeling.....Hope I am wrong.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We seriously need to trade a couple of bodies to make room for Hoffman and Pageau, these guys are just tearing up the AHL at the moment. My gut feeling is that Zibanejad will be traded to get us a top 4 defender. Not saying that I want this to happen but judging by how much Maclean loves Smith, I just get that feeling.....Hope I am wrong.

doubt it i think the Sens really like Zibby

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
A quick question??

What could Ottawa get it they traded Spezza???

Would his contract be hard to move, a lot of teams would not be able to add his contract and stay below the cap.....

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's been dreadful defensively. http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201314&sit=5v5&pos=skaters&minutes=100&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=A20&sortdir=DESC. 6th worse in the whole league. He doesn't even get the tough matchups, offensively or defensively.

Õk, not interested in participating in the whole debate but... how much weight do you put into this? Your boy Condra is the 18th worse player in the whole league?

It's not a personnel problem, it's a team problem. They have been underachieving as a group for several various reasons (lack of leadership, lack of experience, lack of chemistry outside of 1 line, tough schedule to start the year (first 12 games), lack of a #3 D-man, inefficient breakout strategy, etc.)

So if Heatley was such a problem, I guess Murray's truly stupid move was giving him that contract in the first place.

Not unloading him for a broken down 2nd liner and assorted junk.

Got it.

I don't think I need to tell you that your answer is very short-sighted, do I?

Heatley was already making 4.5 on RFA years (Murray didn't sign him to that contract), which had a lot more impact in that time (talking about RFA years)

How was it possible to not give Heatley a raise after he put up 2 back-to-back 50 goals/100 pts seasons (don't see a lot in the new era) and the team just coming out of the SCF? Heatley deserved it by his play

The fact that Heatley turned his back to the franchise by putting himself before the team was not predictable, it's only hindsight on your part. Good job, hindsight is so hard to pull off.

When we got Michalek, he was a very young rising forward (3 consecutive +55 pts seasons, not missing a lot of games) on a friendly cap hit, but I'm repeating myself and anyone that is not too much intellectually dishonest wouldn't need to be told... Again, great job on the hindsight

Still, we did make fine on that trade considering all the objective circumstances but believe what you want, facts won't change a thing for people entitled to their opinion.

I doubt we'll ever agree on this one so lets agree to disagree. At the time Heatley was a proven multi year 50 goal scorer at the top of his game. No one expected him to fall off so fast when he was taken away from Spezza. Heck he even carried the team almost by himself for a while when Spezza was injured. He was supposed to be a sure thing playing with Joe Thornton who many fans said was better than Spezza (not me). Michalek was a probable 20-25 goal scorer with possible upside and his contract was decent but it came with a high risk since he had already had knee surgery once and a second ACL injury requiring a lengthy rehab early on in his career.

Heatley's big contract was 1/2 paid in advance for the 1st year when Melnyk paid out the $4M up front bonus when Heatley nixed the Oilers deal so the Sharks only had to pay him $4M in his 1st year with them. The 2nd pick could be considered part payback for taking Cheechoo's albatross contract of $3.5M per year for 2 seasons. This for a guy who couldn't skate. In real dollars over the 2 seasons the Sharks came out pretty well.

When someone tries to stiff you, you can't say it's ok because the other guy suffered too after the fact. It might look like it worked out ok because Heatley flamed out quickly but at the time there's no doubt Wilson had BM over a barrel since BM didn't want Heatley in training camp and the Sharks knew Heatley wouldn't sign anywhere else. Heatley made it pretty clear after the deal that he wanted to play there and it's hard to imagine that his agent didn't tell them that. IMO there was perhaps technically legal but possibly a bit immoral communication going on in the whole Heatley fiasco. My advise to BM is count your fingers and your rings if you ever shake hands on a deal with a shark.

People are way too generous in proposing trades by devaluing our prospects and players and overly valuing the other team's. While I think Greening will be overpaid starting next year unless he finds some offense, there is no way I would give up Greening or Gryba for Havlat let alone both. The guy is just too injury prone and we'd end up in the same boat looking for a top 6 but $5M poorer plus whoever we gave up.

Okay. see my answer above but Michalek could have become much more... I remember Dan Boyle saying that Michalek was going to be a star.

I'm not saying there was not any downside to that fiasco, Heatley put the Sens ina very tough spot publicly asking for a trade at the worst timing. We kind of did what we could to cut off the losses. Michalek has been the Sens highest goals scorer (more than Spezza and Alfie) from 2009 to 2012

With Heatley, it's semi hindsight because you could see some signs of decline in 2008-09. I'm not saying he had 0 value when we traded him but in the end, we lucked out in a terrible situation. Like totally dodged a bullet, he would have been bought

Last edited:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
A quick question??

What could Ottawa get it they traded Spezza???

Would his contract be hard to move, a lot of teams would not be able to add his contract and stay below the cap.....

They would get a lot of people who know about hockey laughing at them for trading away a player they named captain only a couple of months earlier. And seeing as point a game player don't fall out of trees, the Sens would end up getting worse in the big picture. So yeah, it seems like we would get a lot for that effort.

Milan the God*

They would get a lot of people who know about hockey laughing at them for trading away a player they named captain only a couple of months earlier. And seeing as point a game player don't fall out of trees, the Sens would end up getting worse in the big picture. So yeah, it seems like we would get a lot for that effort.

Spezza is criminally underrated by Sens fans.

He goes head-to-head with the top lines of other teams every night. He opens the room for the MTR line to play to their best ability. Not only is he able to draw away the top lines, he puts up (on average) a point per game. And it's definitely not his line mates. He plays with pretty poor line mates in Michalek, Conacher and Greening. Zibanejad is a good offensive threat, so it will be interesting to see if they can gel at all.

Spezza's had a pretty poor start to the season, but he's still an elite #1 centre.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Random idea spawned out of work boredom. Tuomo Ruutu for Greening (Tuomo reduced salary from 4.75 to 3 mil) I know he plays center, but I know hes played well on the wing in the past

Tuomo is fairly physical, not too old, and could benefit from a change of scenery. He was never really that good, but he could probably score 20ish goals here. Be the 5th or 6th guy in our top 6 and possibly have chemistry with Spezza.

Greening isnt as young as he seems at 27 as well.

CarknerCountry

Jun 20, 2010
Nashville-Ottawa

OTT:

Klein
Hornqvist

NASH:

Spezza

Salary's are a wash. Sens get a top 4 d-man and a solid winger for top 6.

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Klein

Mac Turris Ryan
Michalek Zibby Hornqvist

Nashville gets that big offensive threat they need.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Spezza is criminally underrated by Sens fans.

He goes head-to-head with the top lines of other teams every night. He opens the room for the MTR line to play to their best ability. Not only is he able to draw away the top lines, he puts up (on average) a point per game. And it's definitely not his line mates. He plays with pretty poor line mates in Michalek, Conacher and Greening. Zibanejad is a good offensive threat, so it will be interesting to see if they can gel at all.

Spezza's had a pretty poor start to the season, but he's still an elite #1 centre.

First off Conacher is not a poor line mate he is a horrible fit with Spezza. The only way Conacher can play is with speed and Spezza admits that's not his game. Conacher played well one line Turris and MacArthur, and he was effective in Tampa with players that play with speed. Now he's on a line with Neil expect more of the same? The problem with this team is not so much the players it's the lack of chemistry shown by every line except the Turris line. As a collective group this team has talented players but it just isn't meshing. Why Stache keep insisting that Neil play third line is beyond me. Greening or Condra would add a dimension of speed to that line that is required for it to become effective. Forget Hoffman with Spezza put him on the third line with Smith and Conacher. Hoffman wouldn't be able to use his speed to his full advantage with Spezza. Stone plays the slower paced game and he would be a good fit with Spezza. Just my opinion :)

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Loser Spezza trade proposals running wild on this dim-witted, bandwagoner filled board. Truly pathetic!

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Random idea spawned out of work boredom. Tuomo Ruutu for Greening (Tuomo reduced salary from 4.75 to 3 mil) I know he plays center, but I know hes played well on the wing in the past

Tuomo is fairly physical, not too old, and could benefit from a change of scenery. He was never really that good, but he could probably score 20ish goals here. Be the 5th or 6th guy in our top 6 and possibly have chemistry with Spezza.

Greening isnt as young as he seems at 27 as well.

He is to slow imo as I think we lack team speed. Also injury prone. Not a big greening fan but this seems like a lateral move at best.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Just like Gretzky never got traded right. Let the proposals continue.

Of course anything can happen, but the odds of the Sens trading their highest profile forward months after naming him captain are slim to nil.

If they do decide to trade him, it will be the summer

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
OTT:

Klein
Hornqvist

NASH:

Spezza

Salary's are a wash. Sens get a top 4 d-man and a solid winger for top 6.

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Klein

Mac Turris Ryan
Michalek Zibby Hornqvist

Nashville gets that big offensive threat they need.

The top 6 winger we need is to play with Spezza. This is like burning down the village in order to save it.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
First off Conacher is not a poor line mate he is a horrible fit with Spezza. The only way Conacher can play is with speed and Spezza admits that's not his game. Conacher played well one line Turris and MacArthur, and he was effective in Tampa with players that play with speed. Now he's on a line with Neil expect more of the same? The problem with this team is not so much the players it's the lack of chemistry shown by every line except the Turris line. As a collective group this team has talented players but it just isn't meshing. Why Stache keep insisting that Neil play third line is beyond me. Greening or Condra would add a dimension of speed to that line that is required for it to become effective. Forget Hoffman with Spezza put him on the third line with Smith and Conacher. Hoffman wouldn't be able to use his speed to his full advantage with Spezza. Stone plays the slower paced game and he would be a good fit with Spezza. Just my opinion :)

I know many people including MacLean don't want to mess with the Turris line but I really think a smart experienced puck handler like MacArthur could adjust his game to play with Spezza. Spez himself said he likes to play with someone who is patient, controls the puck and can give and go that description fits Mac and Turris better than anyone else but one is a centre. Conacher, Turris and Ryan would still make an excellent line. Like you said, they've had Turris with MacArthur and Conacher earlier on but I don't believe they've ever tried the combos I suggest.

Spezza needs some help and keeping Ryan and Turris together is still in keeping with MacLean's duo philosophy. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it if nothing else works.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
this is the most frustrating part. We have a 30 year old elite center and we are putting him with guys who are probably in way over their heads in the top 6.

either Michalek needs to play like his last two games or Spezza is going to be frustrated playing with such young talent who should be starting on the 3rd line.

Lol, that line is basically our 2nd line and Zibanejad is more than a capable 2nd liner(Dont you remember last year?) as is Hoffman's skillset.

If Hoffman isn't top 6 material then we wouldn't be calling him up in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad