Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals | Remember That Time a Rumor Was Right?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
inspired by main board:

To EDM: Alex Pietrangelo
To STL: RNH + Nurse

I'd pass, and pretty easily. Some Blues fans would rather pay Shattenkirk anything he wants than lose him and keep Pietrangelo.

I'd add next year's first to RNH, but I don't want a prime Nurse playing for anyone but Edmonton.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
No to trading Nurse.

I'd go as high as RNH, Reinhart, 2016 1st if around 7-12 overall for Pietrangelo and a 2nd. Would try to get STL's later round 1st instead of their 2nd but I'd do that deal.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'd pass, and pretty easily. Some Blues fans would rather pay Shattenkirk anything he wants than lose him and keep Pietrangelo.

I'd add next year's first to RNH, but I don't want a prime Nurse playing for anyone but Edmonton.

Yeah, there's no way I'm moving both RNH and Nurse for that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
pass. too much. Nurse might be as good as Pietro, and will surely be close.

I don't see Nurse being close to as good as Pietrangelo as an overall player, that's a very unrealistic expectation IMO.
However, the Oilers desperately need Nurse's skillset because he's so tough to play against and will get tougher to play against with age and experience so as enticing as this trade would be, and I would think long and hard about it, I wouldn't do it.

Agreed, Nurse is already a top 4 defenceman on 20 of the teams in the league at 20 years old.

I doubt it. He's struggling a lot the last 7-8 games or so, he's clearly sinking in a more prominent role as you would expect with a young inexperienced Dman.
Most teams would be sheltering him on a bottom pairing or in the AHL at this point in his career and if Fayne and Schultz were any good, Nurse would be that here as well.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed, Nurse is already a top 4 defenceman on 20 of the teams in the league at 20 years old.

Lol. Nurse probably doesn't play on 20 teams in the league right now. He's a top 4 here because this is once again the worst group of d-men in the league.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lol. Nurse probably doesn't play on 20 teams in the league right now. He's a top 4 here because this is once again the worst group of d-men in the league.

He'd be getting played on the 3rd pairing on most teams. Adding another veteran top 4D to this team would be a godsend to guys like Nurse and Reinhart so that as they break in they aren't expected to carry the mail.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Classic underrating of our own assets. It happens when the fans adopt a loser mentality.

Nurse shouldn't be used as a top pairing defenceman like he is now, but he's playing 18-22 minutes a night on an awful team with squat for PP time and by and large coming out even.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Classic underrating of our own assets. It happens when the fans adopt a loser mentality.

Nurse shouldn't be used as a top pairing defenceman like he is now, but he's playing 18-22 minutes a night on an awful team with squat for PP time and by and large coming out even.

Ideally we'd break him in on the 3rd pairing to grow his confidence. With Klefbom's injury too much is being asked of him.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Or, he's just not that good yet

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

It has nothing to do with loser mentality, anybody can see that the kid is struggling out there. He had a solid stretch of games during that winning streak but it has gone downhill fast since then during a road heavy schedule. He has been kind of all over the place, looking lost at times.
He's not ready for full time top 4 action yet and wouldn't have that opportunity on most teams because they have better options.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ideally we'd break him in on the 3rd pairing to grow his confidence. With Klefbom's injury too much is being asked of him.

Ideally, sure, but I don't see how you can make an argument that he's not our third best defenceman when this team is healthy.

I'd argue he's no worse than a #4 on 15-20 teams in the league right now. I might get around to breaking that down tomorrow, but a few come to mind: Chicago's #4 is Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Philly, Toronto, Vancouver, Columbus, Buffalo, Arizona, and Boston all come to mind as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ideally, sure, but I don't see how you can make an argument that he's not our third best defenceman when this team is healthy.

I'd argue he's no worse than a #4 on 15-20 teams in the league right now. I might get around to breaking that down tomorrow, but a few come to mind: Chicago's #4 is Trevor Van Riemsdyk. Philly, Toronto, Vancouver, Columbus, Buffalo, Arizona, and Boston all come to mind as well.

That speaks as much to us lacking 4 legit top 4 guys as it does to his abilities at his age IMO.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
That speaks as much to us lacking 4 legit top 4 guys as it does to his abilities at his age IMO.

Really need to add a top pairing guy to knock everyone down a peg. It's a similar scenario to the Hamonic talk with the Oilers not wanting to rob Peter to pay Paul by parting with Nurse or Klefbom for a defenseman.

Nurse just needs more seasoning and to grow into his body. The oilers are dying for the intangibles he brings to the game and are highly unlikely to part with him.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I agree with Spawn, if I had my way Nurse would of been stuck in the AHL till roughly the 40-50 game mark and would just be getting called up now, for his first run at the NHL. He also isn't coming out even, he is getting beat up out there he has the 2nd lowest relative corsi on the team at -17.5, because of the character of Nurse I'm not concerned about him playing out of his depth and it hurting his confidence, I do believe he will adapt to it in time, but we are pretty much the only team in the league that wouldn't be easing him into things on the 3rd pairing with easy match-ups.

After Davidson has about 2 more games and is fully back in the swing of things I'd like to see the switch done where we shift Davidson to having slightly tougher minutes and back off Nurse's quality of competition a bit and see how they both perform.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It has nothing to do with loser mentality, anybody can see that the kid is struggling out there. He had a solid stretch of games during that winning streak but it has gone downhill fast since then during a road heavy schedule. He has been kind of all over the place, looking lost at times.
He's not ready for full time top 4 action yet and wouldn't have that opportunity on most teams because they have better options.

He's not ready to be the go to guy for the Oilers. That is a completely different story than not being ready to play in the NHL or even as a second pairing defensemen in the right situation.

Go look at the depth charts of teams around the league. I think you could make an argument that the current version of Darnell Nurse would be as good or better than at least one of the 6 starters on probably 25 or 26 of the teams in the league. If you insist he plays the left hand side he is probably still on 20+ rosters.

He could also play in the top 4 with some very good teams, especially with the right partner. In Chicago you could slip him into the spot where TVR is playing and he fits well. His game would actually mesh quite well with a vet like Seabrook. At the very least he is definitely better than Scuderi.

St. Louis has Parayko playing on the left despite being a RHD. This is probably an ice time thing but Nurse paired with Shattenkirk is not going to be over whelmed.

Ideally Nurse is on the Oiler third pairing with less ES responsibility. But he has proved he is definitely na NHL defenseman right now.

In Ottawa right now they have Fredrik Cleasson playing with Karlsson.

The problem with assessing young defensemen in the role Nurse has right now is that the mistakes are magnified.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I like the deal if we can balance it out a bit. Something like:

To Edm: Pietrangelo, Berglund

To Stl: RNH, Nurse, Fayne (500k retained)

Our lineup

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Berglund-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Klefbom-Pietrangelo
Davidson-Sekera
Nikitin-Schultz
Gryba

Not sure how it would work for St. Louis but have to think it helps there lineup out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't see Nurse being close to as good as Pietrangelo as an overall player, that's a very unrealistic expectation IMO.
However, the Oilers desperately need Nurse's skillset because he's so tough to play against and will get tougher to play against with age and experience so as enticing as this trade would be, and I would think long and hard about it, I wouldn't do it.

I doubt it. He's struggling a lot the last 7-8 games or so, he's clearly sinking in a more prominent role as you would expect with a young inexperienced Dman.
Most teams would be sheltering him on a bottom pairing or in the AHL at this point in his career and if Fayne and Schultz were any good, Nurse would be that here as well.

This. Great post. Saves me some typing.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
You have to wonder...if we could afford hamonic then why did we add reinhart.

Also, sux that schultz was so bad last year that we had nothing to offer snow.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This defense is so bad. There's a thread on the mains moaning about the lack of top tier d-men in the league.
Its worth a read because even if we discount some of the blatant homerism being shown by some fans, the Oilers defense is just a joke compared to the good teams in the league. Our best guys are #3s. And we wonder why this team continues to lose.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2005535

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad