Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So people on this board think the guy who just traded a future Norris winner in Sergachev for a 2nd line LW in Drouin will be able to get fair value for Weber?

It's pretty early calling Sergachev a future Norris trophy winner. A lot of people said that of McDonagh too, and despite playing in the largest media center, he's never even been nominated.

You can say the same of Boumeester when he started out, Pietrangelo, Phaneuf & even Shea Weber.

I don't trust MB trading either Pacioretty or Weber. His handling of the Subban trade was a disaster. He's fine with 4th liners: Weise then Deslauriers, but terrible at the big stuff.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Wow, we see things very differently. First Ottawa isn't terrible because they lost Methot. Karlsson is playing horribly and he makes that whole team. Without Karlsson, they're terrible. The rest of that D is so awful except for Chabot.

If the only thing we get for Pacioretty is Kempe, we better be keeping Patches. He's worth a lot more than Kempe.

Replacing Plekanec, it better be for someone better than Pageau or Smith, unless it's for our 4th line. Enough with the grinders.

As for Benn being replaceable if Weber comes back.... Benn and others like Benn are always replaceable. He's a 5th or 6th D at best. Those are easy to find and if you want to replace him, it should be for someone who skates. Our D is pure trash this year. Schlemko, Benn, Morrow, Alzner are all bad. Those are all bottom pairing Ds playing across all pairings. It's like Bergevin was trying to sabotage that D as soon as he got rid of Subban, then Markov, then Beaulieu... hey let's get guys who can barely skate and can't pass the puck out of the zone properly or actually drive some kind of possession or offense.

The best trade that could happen now is trading Alzner and that terrible contract we gave him. What a waste of almost 5M$ that is.

You look at a team like Ottawa that didn't lose much from the team that was one win away from the Cup, really just Methot, and where they are now, and you understand how fine the line is between top and bottom.

Health is always a factor.

The Canadiens changed a lot this year. An abrupt change isn't a healthy way to build a winner. Retooling the core is.

For me it starts with Pacioretty. You have a forward who is not versatile. And that hampers the team a bit.

Trading him for a C/RW like Kempe out of L.A would help.

Having players that can play multiple positions is what most coaches want. We lost our top C here in Winnipeg, and our captain just stepped in, team did not lose a beat.

I would keep Plekanec unless you fill his absence with somebody who can do the job. Say trade him to one team and add a Pageau/Z. Smith on the other end. But only if he would re-sign at half his salary for a year, giving the GM cap space, with Carey taking in $4 m more, to obtain a top centre. That's the commitment I would ask from him if he wants to play his 1000th game in Montreal.

But with Kempe alone you could keep the development going forward.

Say:

Galchenyuk-Drouin-Sherbak
Lehkonen-Kempe-Gallagher (C)
Hudon-Plekanec (Rep.)-Byron
Deslauriers-And competition for reserve spots behind Danault-Shaw

The team still has structure to build on. And develop. No developing centres coming next year. So the cap space is important.

If Weber comes back it makes Jordie Benn expendable in my eyes, and maybe Bergevin can find a good replacement in the shuffle.

If both Bergevin and Julien get fired, there are at least building blocks to work with.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just a friendly Stars fan jumping so some of you dont get too excited going down the wrong path. The bolded names are simply unatainable from Dallas. Lindell is our clear cut 2nd best defenseman and is playing like a legit 2D and Faksa is our second best center. If Dallas were to make a move for Patches there is simply no way either of those guys are part of the deal because they are both young and play positions that are much more important than what Patches would play
Be that as it may...

If the Stars are interested in Pacioretty, spare parts aren't going to get it done.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Be that as it may...

If the Stars are interested in Pacioretty, spare parts aren't going to get it done.
I didn't offer apart parts or say anything other than Patches will not get you our sophomore top pairing LD or our 2nd best Center

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I have a feeling Pacioretty gets traded to Edmonton in the summer assuming the Oilers don't win the lottery.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Trades for the rebuild I would attempt:

Trade 1:

To Tampa Bay Lightning: Shea Weber

To Montreal Canadiens: Dan Girardi, Brett Howden, Cal Foote, 2018 1st round pick, and 2019 third round pick.

Lighting get a stud defenseman that instantly make them cup favorites and gives them a top right hand shot defenseman. Habs eat Girardi’s cap hit and contract for a year, and get a top young Center prospect with size and skill in Howden, a solid defense right defenseman prospect in Foote, and a first round pick in a deep draft.

Trade 2:

To St Louis Blues: Max Pacioretty

To Montreal Canadiens: Jordan Kyrou, Tage Thompson, 2018 1st round pick

Blues acquire the Habs Captain and add him to a deep roster for a playoff run this year and next year on a very favourable contract. Habs get a prospect that oozes talent in Kyrou, a big forward with skill in Thompson and a first round pick.

Trade 3: Thomas Plekanec to whichever team will pay a 2nd round pick and possibly more.

Habs would then have top prospects in all areas in the system - Howden, Poehling and possibly Kyrou as centers. Thompson on the wing. Foote on defense with Juulsen. Along with 3 first round picks in the 2018 draft, and 4 second round picks as well, with a ton of cap space to make deals or take on bad contracts for picks while the team rebuilds.
I like trades two and three except I would switch Thomas for THompson. I think trade one is a very big loss for us. I have doubts about Foote and Howden is not a first line center. We need #1 and #2 centers. I don't want to put all my eggs in the Thomas basket. He may end up being just a second line center so if we do trade Weber I want another possible #1 center - like Glass or Suzuki in Vegas.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hey sergachev is great, but if you cant appreciate the talent that drouin possesses and recognize what a different siutation both of those players are in right now than theres not much more I can say. Put him with a centre and back on the wing where he belongs and everybody will understand the superstar that is jonathan drouin.
Playing him out of position would explain his poor performance. It does not explain or excuse his poor attitude.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Have to say , though I would think Patches value would be the highest before this TDL and so MB needs to try to trade him now, that I agree with 417s comments.

Historically a guy like Patches will get you a 1st and a good young prospect as a pure rental.

Patches isn't a pure rental. Team that gets him has him for 2 play off run and a full season. It makes sense for MB to be looking for more than this. As to the 2nd, I could see that if we are retaining on Patches. Otherwise , a good prospect, a young roster player who is unestablished and a 1st is a reasonable return. Otherwise wait.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
The price for Pacioretty should be sky high or no deal.You are getting one of the league's best pure scorers over the past few years and a captain on a great deal for next year.I would start the conversation at a first rounder,elite prospect and potentially elite young roster player.The elite prospect and elite roster player should both be natural centers.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Wow, we see things very differently. First Ottawa isn't terrible because they lost Methot. Karlsson is playing horribly and he makes that whole team. Without Karlsson, they're terrible. The rest of that D is so awful except for Chabot.

If the only thing we get for Pacioretty is Kempe, we better be keeping Patches. He's worth a lot more than Kempe.

Replacing Plekanec, it better be for someone better than Pageau or Smith, unless it's for our 4th line. Enough with the grinders.

As for Benn being replaceable if Weber comes back.... Benn and others like Benn are always replaceable. He's a 5th or 6th D at best. Those are easy to find and if you want to replace him, it should be for someone who skates. Our D is pure trash this year. Schlemko, Benn, Morrow, Alzner are all bad. Those are all bottom pairing Ds playing across all pairings. It's like Bergevin was trying to sabotage that D as soon as he got rid of Subban, then Markov, then Beaulieu... hey let's get guys who can barely skate and can't pass the puck out of the zone properly or actually drive some kind of possession or offense.

The best trade that could happen now is trading Alzner and that terrible contract we gave him. What a waste of almost 5M$ that is.

I would definitely want picks too. A 1st ideally. And if you are replacing Plekanec you are replacing the guy who goes out and takes the 1st draw on the PK, takes defensive zone face offs. That should be a work horse/soldier. Find one who doesn't get injured like Pleky is a challenge.

The skill up front should come in the offseason. I have been pumping Paul Stastny, because he is physically strong, not unlike Radulov, but a centre who can match up against Matthews, Bergeron, Stamkos. And win draws consistently. Would easily replace Paciorretty on the PP.

I don't have a problem with Alzner taking over Emelin's role. Replacing Markov's first pass would be nice. But he was slower than any of the d you mentioned, which is a problem. Mete will be able to join the rush like PK, once he gets his feet wet.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Don't count on Pacioretty being traded by the deadline. Habs are 7 points out of the last wildcard, and in Bergevin's mind they can still make it. Doesn't take a genius to know that they will get demolished by the Lightning.

Reactions: Weber Fan

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I just hope this putrid management doesn't believe in a playoffs run, can't grow some balls and refuse to trade for picks and prospects at the deadline.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Don't count on Pacioretty being traded by the deadline. Habs are 7 points out of the last wildcard, and in Bergevin's mind they can still make it. Doesn't take a genius to know that they will get demolished by the Lightning.

Not that it really matters, but it's more likely to be Boston than Tampa Bay that ends up first in the division. Still, either one is the same results for the Habs.

MB will try for it though, more to protect his reputation rather than pull back and try for a better rebuild pick for the team.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I just hope this putrid management doesn't believe in a playoffs run, can't grow some balls and refuse to trade for picks and prospects at the deadline.

Bergevin's logic:

"I tried being aggressive with Weber/Drouin, I am going to go back to Petry/Byron pickups and stay in my comfort zone."

We're screwed either way if he oversees the rebuild...

Reactions: CapSpace

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not that it really matters, but it's more likely to be Boston than Tampa Bay that ends up first in the division. Still, either one is the same results for the Habs.

MB will try for it though, more to protect his reputation rather than pull back and try for a better rebuild pick for the team.
It's pretty tight between those 2

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Hey sergachev is great, but if you cant appreciate the talent that drouin possesses and recognize what a different siutation both of those players are in right now than theres not much more I can say. Put him with a centre and back on the wing where he belongs and everybody will understand the superstar that is jonathan drouin.

Everyone knows Drouin has a higher end than he's shown. Calling him a superstar however is, putting it nicely, bizarre. He may one day be an elite winger, but he's not even that now.

Reactions: Runner77

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You take the best deal available for Pacioretty. This idealized version of a mega blockbuster where we get a Lindros like return or no deal is foolish. You only need to look back on the Bobby Ryan trade who was younger than Patch, had similar stats, signed for 2 full years when he got traded in the summer and the return was nowhere near what you people think you're getting. Yet at the same time it's the exact type of deal we need to avoid like the plague. A deal for Patch where the main component is a surefire NHLer with little upside like Silfverberg is not what a rebuilding team should be aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad