HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
hey all
are the habs not tough enough? should they get some tougher players? or are we ok.

just seems to me we are bigger but not tougher. thoughts??
Depends if by toughness you actually mean meanness. We don't have very many mean players, and we don't have a style of play that preaches always finishing your checks or playing the body over playing the puck. But if toughness is more about winning the physical battles then I don't think we are bad in that regard.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Because if the answers to the questions are this player can't fulfill the role then as a team we have too many holes to start acquiring veteran players to fill them. If Dach can't be a good #2 C then we likely a minimum of 3+ years away from any sort of contention and adding a guy like R. Andersson doesn't change that calculus.

Adding a guy like Andersson adds value at a very important position now and he's still at a great age relative to our core. Any chance you get to add a guy like that, you should take it, if other people become solutions, they will be able to be used to acquire the pieces you are missing.

What if you don't make the acquisition for Andersson and none of your question marks pan out? Then you are even further away. We can't be afraid to make the moves if the right age, player type and person is available

Because they may already have the answer.

Then they can use that asset to get something else they need.

We can't sit around forever sitting on picks and prospects waiting to see if one might blossom. If you get a chance to get someone who is established now, in the window, you should pull the trigger.

Getting Andersson moves Guhle back to the left and allows us to trade Matheson.

Reactions: Benstheman

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Adding a guy like Andersson adds value at a very important position now and he's still at a great age relative to our core. Any chance you get to add a guy like that, you should take it, if other people become solutions, they will be able to be used to acquire the pieces you are missing.

What if you don't make the acquisition for Andersson and none of your question marks pan out? Then you are even further away. We can't be afraid to make the moves if the right age, player type and person is available
If the question marks mostly don't pan out then it means we are going to be relying on this upcoming draft(s) to make up our core and a 10 year age gap isn't a great relative age. Andersson's age is great relative to our core if the question marks do pan out. If Laine and Dach click then absolutely adding a guy like Andersson is the right move.

The good news is that Andersson is probably unlikely to be traded within the next 2-3 months, it's the type of deal that gets done in the new year as teams figure out if they are likely to be in the playoffs or not. That time hopefully gives us answers or at least confidence in those question marks.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And he is still developing.
Yup and what gets lost on many is how elite a skater he is despite his size - there’s a lot of growth potential.

I suspect we’ll see more of his mean side + more offensive prowess this upcoming season

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Yes Mailloux has lots of great tools but also lots of negatives. You are right that in 5 years, we can look back at a trade like this and say woops that was a bad trade. But the opposite is also true.

Imo, Mailloux will be a number 4D if everything goes well but most likely end up as a very good 5/6.

There are two other aspects that make me think we could use Mailloux to upgrade our D in a good way :

1-Timing/experience : We cannot enter 2025-2026 season with Guhle-Reinbacher-Hutson-Mailloux as our top 4. That wouldn't work. Reinbacher is not ready for top pair duty and Mailloux is not ready for top 4 duty either. We definately need a bit more experience on that top 4 for at least a couple a year to let Reinbacher and Mailloux develop in what could become their respective ceiling. Maybe Savard is extended to give that veteran presence but even though i like him very much, we can't be succesful with Savard playing top 4 minutes for another 2 years after this one.

2-Better defensive D-squad. The way i see it, looking at the type of young Dmen we've got, we will need more defensive stability on the top 4. Hutson and Mailloux look to be defensive liabilities going forward and even if we extend the evaluation through the bottom pair, Xhekaj and Barron are not exactly defensive studs, to be polite.

That's horrible D to be honest.
I disagree that Mailloux ends up a 4. With regards to your points:

1) if Reinbacher isn't ready, let me play in the AHL or on a lower pairing. You can sign vet Ds as stop gaps for experience without sacrificing talent.

2) Let's deal with that problem when we get there and from a position of strength (we'll developed prospects), not a position of weakness (raw prospects).

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If the question marks mostly don't pan out then it means we are going to be relying on this upcoming draft(s) to make up our core and a 10 year age gap isn't a great relative age. Andersson's age is great relative to our core if the question marks do pan out. If Laine and Dach click then absolutely adding a guy like Andersson is the right move.

The good news is that Andersson is probably unlikely to be traded within the next 2-3 months, it's the type of deal that gets done in the new year as teams figure out if they are likely to be in the playoffs or not. That time hopefully gives us answers or at least confidence in those question marks.

I agree with waiting as I doubt Andersson is being moved until mid-season.. but they should and will be in the conversation here. Conroy isn't getting blistering good deals and the prospect of getting their first back might be comforting to them and give us the leg up in any trade.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
We can't afford the price of R Andersson. With his cheap AAV and very short 2yr-term a contender would surely outbid us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad