HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Rank these reclamation projects in order of preference on cheap short term deals:
Duclair
Arvidsson
Mantha
Perron
Kane

Rank these bottom six targets in terms of preference:
Blueger
Carrier
Trenin
Martinook
Foegele
Lafferty
Duhaime
Stenlund
Blais
I would not take any of them. I would rather play our young players like Heineman, Roy and others if they are ready. Middle 6 and role players should not be targetted at this point. The young players can fill those roles. If you want help from elsewhere, it's top 6 players only... but at this point in time, it has to be for an impact player or one that can be an impact player (like Dach).

At this stage of the rebuild, we don't need to tinker with role players.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You could say the same thing towards Newhook with the Avs in last year's playoffs. I think Kakko is a notch behind Newhook in terms of producing but it's not far off.

This would be buy low situation with the chances of MSL giving Kakko better development/opportunity. Kakko has Dach quality (pre draft). The pedigree is still there but he has to start turning the development needle soon.

Newhook was a late 1st and early 2nd right? Kakko may be two 2nd's. Avs 2nd and maybe a B+ prospect.
I never saw Newhook and thought how hard he was dogging it. He always competed hard, just didn't fit with the team. I actually liked Kakko more than Newhook before we got Newhook but Kakko has dropped off hard.

Maybe he just needs some new scenery, but if that was the case, he should've just asked to be moved.

I would not take any of them. I would rather play our young players like Heineman, Roy and others if they are ready. Middle 6 and role players should not be targetted at this point. The young players can fill those roles. If you want help from elsewhere, it's top 6 players only... but at this point in time, it has to be for an impact player or one that can be an impact player (like Dach).

100% agree. If you're not a top 6 forward, DO NOT WANT. Plethora of kids that already don't have a spot due to the vets we already have, so if you're not bringing something needed to the party, stay out.

Reactions: Paddy17

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Here is a question. What context or resume did Newhook have over Kakko? Newhook last summer vs Kakko this summer? Seems to me that both the Rangers and Avs tried both in their top 6 and it didn't work out.
The game of hockey is played on ice with skates and Newhook is a far superior skater to Kakko. Fits our style.

Last edited:

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009

None of them. We don't need retreads and we don't need mediocre players that will never amount to anything such as Ylonen, Harvey Pinard and Pezetta.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never saw Newhook and thought how hard he was dogging it. He always competed hard, just didn't fit with the team. I actually liked Kakko more than Newhook before we got Newhook but Kakko has dropped off hard.

Maybe he just needs some new scenery, but if that was the case, he should've just asked to be moved.

It has to be the skating difference between the two (Newhook and Kakko). I'd be willing to take a shot at Kakko if the cost was two 2nd's.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It has to be the skating difference between the two (Newhook and Kakko). I'd be willing to take a shot at Kakko if the cost was two 2nd's.
I don’t think he’s worth that at the moment. Probably a reclamation for another one or a lower pick if they’re going to let him walk.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

What would you even be expecting a guy like Kakko to provide this team with that it's not already got in absurd quantities?

I'd rather we don't spend any asset on inconsistent reclamation projects, and leave the chance to someone else. If that's all your draft picks can get you just keep the pick and roll the dice at the draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would you even be expecting a guy like Kakko to provide this team with that it's not already got in absurd quantities?

I'd rather we don't spend any asset on inconsistent reclamation projects, and leave the chance to someone else. If that's all your draft picks can get you just keep the pick and roll the dice at the draft.

It would be basically picks like Ylonen or Mesar vs Kakko. Age 23 and maybe he shows maturity late and has a small prime like so many NHL players (age 25-30). If not, you end up with a Ylonen or Mesar which is what we likely draft if we don't make the trade. That kind of thingy.

Expecting a hit like Hutson or Beck? That is possible too. What are better chances? To hit with another Hutson or Beck or Kakko turns into a top 6F from age 25-30?

Reactions: themilosh

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I take those 2x2nd round pick, add the 2024 Win 1st and a young D like and I'm going shopping for better shoes than Kakko.

The way I see it we only need to find 2 pieces over the next 12 months
One of those pieces will most likely be that 5th overall.
I wouldn't be shy to ''go for it'' and pay what it takes to get better potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I take those 2x2nd round pick, add the 2024 Win 1st and a young D like and I'm going shopping for better shoes than Kakko.

The way I see it we only need to find 2 pieces over the next 12 months
One of those pieces will most likely be that 5th overall.
I wouldn't be shy to ''go for it'' and pay what it takes to get better potential.

Me too but what are those better shoes and how much does that cost?

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
This is true and most of us already know this. The conversation was if you would trade him for Necas or not. This was not some "trade him now" narrative. It was trade him only if you get something you can't refuse.
I get it...problem is who is going to replace the ice time and point and PP time? I don;t think Necas is worth it imo because of those factors, we can't replace Matheson internally for now anyways.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I get it...problem is who is going to replace the ice time and point and PP time? I don;t think Necas is worth it imo because of those factors, we can't replace Matheson internally for now anyways.

I'm actually not that high on Necas. I consider him a very strong middle 6F and I think who he is today is what you get. The development growth is done. I am interested in acquiring though. Why? Because I have top 9 strategy vs top 6 strategy. And if the cost is Matheson/26th OA, I consider it. Our next two seasons are more transition and with Matheson, it's not helping any development or growth from our Suzuki and under core. All Matheson does is fill a spot until others are ready. So what is our strategy here? Short term gains with Matheson or long term vision with Necas? I do like Necas's size/skating/shot. He works hard shift after shift. Is that a Brindamour effect or not? Not sure. The only part that scares me big time is the contract Necas might ask for. Us fans would not know this pre trade but our GM can find that out.

Are you re-signing Matheson after two more years at age 32? If he continues this pace, he's going to want that 6+ year term and big AAV. What do you think our long term vision is with having Matheson for two more seasons?

Reactions: themilosh

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Lafreniere was awful in the playoffs for the Rags last year too.

This year, he was one of their better forwards.

Playoff performances don't necessarily always repeat themselves, it can change from year to year, from player to player.

I'm not saying we should trade for Kakko, i'm pretty lukewarm on the idea because there are other projects i'd be interested in taking instead, but his playoff performance this year shouldn't be a reason why they shouldn't.
Except Kakko wasn't very good in any playoff run the Rangers have had with him there and aside from last season he hasn't really been good in the regular season.

3 seasons and 3 post seasons are fairly telling.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Except Kakko wasn't very good in any playoff run the Rangers have had with him there and aside from last season he hasn't really been good in the regular season.

3 seasons and 3 post seasons are fairly telling.
Kakko has always been a bit player on the Rangers for the most part.

I don't think you can really glean anything from his post season performance.

People said the same thing about Datsyuk early on into his career, until they didn't.

I’m not comparing him to Datsyuk btw just saying he's not doomed to be a poor playoff performer just because he hasn't filled the net playing on a 3rd line his first 3 post seasons.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I don’t really see a player in the available list that I’m really interested in for now

Yeah, me too. That is why I said that we may need to be patient as forcing a deal here is never a good outcome. I get the feeling that a deal may not come at all this summer or it will come from left field entirely.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yeah, me too. That is why I said that we may need to be patient as forcing a deal here is never a good outcome. I get the feeling that a deal may not come at all this summer or it will come from left field entirely.
That’s what I think too. Where not competing this year so don’t force a deal and stay patient

Reactions: Kosseca

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
None of them. We don't need retreads and we don't need mediocre players that will never amount to anything such as Ylonen, Harvey Pinard and Pezetta.
I'd rather RHP as extra forward than Heineman, Roy or Farrell. Any of these Those three should stay if they earn a regular spot only.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021

If adding a bottom 6 it is probably someone who hits and fights like Liam O'Brien.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Do you guys would have any interest in signing Debrusk as a UFA?? What would he demands as a contract?? 6M$ per?

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
That’s what I think too. Where not competing this year so don’t force a deal and stay patient
I'm not sure why you say the Habs are not competing. I don't think that's how they feel.
The players are tired of losing. MSL is tired of losing. Everybody is tired of losing. It's time to take the next step.

I agree that they must not force a deal if there's not one to be had.
Not just because they had opportunities with Dach and Newhook the last 2 years that another opportunity will present itself again this summer.

That said, they must try to improve in other ways if they can't make a trade or two.
That 15M+ of cap space can't go to waste again. Overpay for UFAs on short term contracts if they have to.
There have been reports that's what their plan is and i believe them. Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad