HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He didn't change his tune, Winnipeg told him he had to open up if he wanted a long-term deal and LA outbid the Habs. He said it himself after the trade. He was into the idea of playing for Montreal but 'LA wanted me more'. If Winnipeg had accepted our deal, he'd be a Hab and this board would be on fire if he had that season here.

Honestly, if he gets bought out, I don't think it's a good idea even on a short-term deal. The discourse will be insane.
He could have waited to be a FA and signed with the Habs. I guess they told him he would be a Jet for another year if he didn't open it up because they didn't want futures.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
What makes you think that LA wouldn't do everything to keep their most valuable asset and that Hughes would ruin a relationship with another GM?
If Blake puts his team in a situation where they expose Byfield to an OS (maybe by acquiring a 1G + extending Roy, Arvidsson, etc.) then its only his fault, not Hughes for wanting to acquire a great player.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What makes you think that LA wouldn't do everything to keep their most valuable asset and that Hughes would ruin a relationship with another GM?
OS as presently designed are conducive to toxic fallouts. It’s fun to watch unfold from a fan POV and the resulting animosity between owners/ suits can be riveting but otherwise not a viable option.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
If Blake puts his team in a situation where they expose Byfield to an OS (maybe by acquiring a 1G + extending Roy, Arvidsson, etc.) then its only his fault, not Hughes for wanting to acquire a great player.
And I would add that this relationship thing is bullshit. If Hughes OS Byfield and in 3 years, a trade that would really help both LA and MTL comes up, Blake (or any other GM) would be plain stupid not to make it.

MTL is in a unique situation to make a big OS since they have lots of assets, lots of capspace and might want to risk giving away their first next year since they might compete for a playoff spot. I believe most teams tend to avoid OS not because of their relationship with other GMs, but because they either dont have the cap space (which is the case for most contender) OR dont want to risk giving an unprotected first (the case for rebuilding teams who however have a lot of cap space generally speaking). MTL is one of the rare teams for which it might be worth it to make a big OS since they enter in neither of those groups of teams imo.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
The only talks that should be happening on this thread concerning the Habs and Kings shouldnt be about trading for PLD, but about OS Byfield.
Offesheets don’t happen in the nhl literally ever since that whole Carolina , Montreal crap years back. Fans need to give it up, not happening

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah that won't happen and they will simply match anything unless Hughes offers up the 4x1st requirements.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It's too bad the team wasn't a bit better, could offer sheet Necas to screw over Carolina. However, they'd like let him go and take our top 10 pick next year since I doubt next year will be the turnaround year.

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
Been a long time since I visited this thread. You guys still talking about Dubois... Wow. I'll be back in a couple months....

No offense of course :):)

• Haha
Reactions: Deebs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad