Trade draft picks?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
We've already done that this year. Hasn't worked out for us yet. Omark only has one assist.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
the kind of players you get for scattered seconds are older role players and rentals, not what we are interested in

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
If I'm running a team I'm exercising every option available to me to improve the team. If that's packaging the plethora of seconds we have in the next two drafts, so be it.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Trouble with trades is you only get the players another organization has deemed expendable. Draft is where you get your untouchable players.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
In My postgame podcasts, my buddy John and I talked about the Buffalo Sabres trading away some picks and getting quality players in return. A different way to build a team. Thoughts?

Dnt see them trading picks for players. I could see a 2nd included in a larger trade. I could also see trade ups in the drsft where they use their 2nds to move up.

I do see them doing some serious moves in 2025 nd 2026 where rthey trade the players they selected for missing players to their team.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
You'd have to see if the absolute perfect opportunity arises. Even then the only thing I'd do would attempt to move up with lower picks..still wouldn't really want to move most of the 2nds (I think we have what, 2 or 3 in these next two years right?) unless it's for another first. But the tank should give us higher picks, so it wouldn't be smart to move them right now.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Trouble with trades is you only get the players another organization has deemed expendable. Draft is where you get your untouchable players.

Not true......
Expendable does not equal bad.

Value of a layer selected in the 2nd usually has more value than the pick if you were successful.

Just looking at the last two drafts....Mczcabe, Compher, Hurley, and Baptiste have more value than where they were picked.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
2nd round pick, sure. They could probably get some good value, because they're essentially late firsts. First round picks are untouchable, though. Unless it's a later first acquired from trades.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Not for quality players, but for higher quality draft picks sure.

Our second rounder is really the last 1st rounder as it is with the devils pick not existing.

We could move a couple of them, or even one of them to move up. We may not have the room for all these prospects at sme point. No rush though.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Not for quality players, but for higher quality draft picks sure.

Our second rounder is really the last 1st rounder as it is with the devils pick not existing.

We could move a couple of them, or even one of them to move up. We may not have the room for all these prospects at sme point. No rush though.

So the Devils' pick is just not there? Essentially it's 29 teams drafting in that round?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It wouldn't surprise if they use a couple of draft picks to target a specific younger player. Think of the Hecht deal in '02 -- all picks and they got a quality glue guy for 10 years.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Not true......
Expendable does not equal bad.

Value of a layer selected in the 2nd usually has more value than the pick if you were successful.

Just looking at the last two drafts....Mczcabe, Compher, Hurley, and Baptiste have more value than where they were picked.

what?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It wouldn't surprise if they use a couple of draft picks to target a specific younger player. Think of the Hecht deal in '02 -- all picks and they got a quality glue guy for 10 years.

That's a pretty good example. Guy was solid for us for a loooong time. the only thing I realistically see (meaning no crazy uber good deals for us) is them using their seconds or thirds in acquiring a player that is a nice complementary piece and a good help.

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
If there's a team selling some pieces off in the offseason following a Cup run (a la Chicago with Buff, Ladd, Bolland, etc.), then sure. You can't not look into it.

At the same time, this team's biggest issue is its lack of star talent at forward. It's very unlikely anyone like that becomes available.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If Winnipeg makes him available, I'd have no problem sending one of our 2nd's to the Jets for Burmistrov. But he's in a unique situation, and he's young enough to fit the rebuild. Probably not a ton of 22 yr olds with team control and upside who are available for a 2nd rounder.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If Winnipeg makes him available, I'd have no problem sending one of our 2nd's to the Jets for Burmistrov. But he's in a unique situation, and he's young enough to fit the rebuild. Probably not a ton of 22 yr olds with team control and upside who are available for a 2nd rounder.

His unique situation also drops his value, last years deadline he was worth a second. Since he decided to jump I think that drops his value to the fourth round range conditional on him coming back over.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
The general concept is acceptable but the player's talent and age would have to be comparable to the draft compensation. Also the team is probably two years away from giving that type of move serious consideration. The most beneficial move would be trading a couple draft picks or a pick and prospect for a talented RFA that a team can't or won't re-sign. If the team were to acquire a veteran this way it would ideally be in the off season so he's with the team for a full season or two. The deadline rent-a-players tend to have minimal impact and generally aren't the difference between winning and losing a Cup. If you can get a proven NHLer in return for a potential NHLer you can't go too far wrong if the team would otherwise be drafting in the mid to late section of each round.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
We've already done that this year. Hasn't worked out for us yet. Omark only has one assist.
that move was more about oil giving the kid a chance and buffalo having nothing to lose, and it's looking like we got the better end of the deal
Dnt see them trading picks for players. I could see a 2nd included in a larger trade. I could also see trade ups in the drsft where they use their 2nds to move up.
agreed, we're hoarding 2nds for potential depth players and standouts like pommer, no way we start moving those in the near future
The most beneficial move would be trading a couple draft picks or a pick and prospect for a talented RFA that a team can't or won't re-sign.
this

didn't timmy mention using picks to advance a (what I'm assuming is NYI's deferred) 1st rounder? if we botch project McDavid then I'm all for this option, say NYI's mid-round 1st with a 2nd and prospect or 2 for a top 5 if, pegula forbid, we DO manage to improve come 2014

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad