Trade Deadline- What to Do??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
They were allowed to play and open an aggressive style that fits this team. After that game it seems like they have tried to go back to the 2013/2015 Hawks which makes no sense to do. This team is one that you need to let them play more open.

Yup! I was there behind the Hawks goal well up in the 300 section. It was a thing of beauty to watch the plays develop from up there.

Quick regroups, crisp passes up the-gasp-middle of the ice. Just shredding the opps.

Then, it went away.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Saad for Trouba would be good deal for us long-term. Not saying I would do it because I love Saad and I have his jersey. I also have Hossa’s (since 2010 Cup parade) and Panarin’s so it would hurt a lot haha.

It kind of depends what we are drafting. Let’s pretend we are drafting Tkachuk, Zadina or Svechnikov. Then I would happily trade Saad for Trouba because we get very good prospect in winger department. Trouba would happily sign 7x6m deal with us I think?

”Tkachuk/Zadina/Svechnikov” - Toews - Duclair
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Sikura - Anisimov - Hinostroza (I’m really growing to like Hino haha)
Hartman - Kampf - Jurco

Keith - Trouba
Forsling - Murphy
Oesterle - Jokiharju
Seabrook

Or keep Saad and hope for Dahlin or Boquist or still draft BPA.

Trouba just fits our group going forward. Not sure if there are better players available.

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
Neither expecting AA to be traded nor do I want to see it happen. I'd rather keep him here and go for a Cup one or two more times than get a 1st or 2nd+ for him. Trade off the expendables for mid-round picks and go from there.

This team is incapable of competing for a cup in that time frame. The expectations on this board that help will come from within, particularly on defence, are grossly overoptimistic.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Agreed. If the right deal came around, I wouldn't be against it, but given his play this year you have to think they'd be selling pretty low, so no thanks.

exactly. we have a longer window with Saad - his age and contract give us flexibility to be patient. revisit next year if he isn't back to his normal self. the most likely candidate to move IMO has been Anisimov. Don't need to pay a 3rd line center on a non-playoff team $4.5mil per. he is beyond expendable and can get us serious asset(s) to a contender who needs help. we gave away a first for Vermette, I think we could land a late first for Anisimov from someone looking for that last piece of depth. not sure how his NMC works, but I would bet he would waive for a chance at a cup. If it helps to get Hayden back up here full-time I am all for it.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Not sure if Saad moves, but unlike Ani, he's free of clauses.

So, if a move for 3+M has to be made and Murph can't be moved, and Ani won't waive, Saad might be it by default--assuming of course no one in the core waives that's actually worth a squirt of urine.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not sure if Saad moves, but unlike Ani, he's free of clauses.

So, if a move for 3+M has to be made and Murph can't be moved, and Ani won't waive, Saad might be it by default--assuming of course no one in the core waives that's actually worth a squirt of urine.

What do you mean by the bolded? I don't follow.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I was just trying to remember .. in Saad's draft year was it an injury or mono that had his stock drop? If it was mono .. it can be known to return ( the symptoms that is ) and Epstein Barr virus apparently stays with a person for life.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I was just trying to remember .. in Saad's draft year was it an injury or mono that had his stock drop? If it was mono .. it can be known to return ( the symptoms that is ) and Epstein Barr virus apparently stays with a person for life.

he was battling injuries all year in his draft year. could be now as well, who knows as hockey guys keep things tight lipped until the end of the year when they get a "surprise" procedure done that nobody knew about.

he showed his character by playing through injuries in his draft year and not telling anyone about it...he could have used that as an excuse and tried to help his draft stock, which he really didn't. his injuries weren't really known until after his season was over and by then, people had their lists made up.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
What do you mean by the bolded? I don't follow.

My bad, I wasn't clear:

If Stan feels compelled to move a player making $3M in cap or more...our choices are Murphy, Anisimov (if he waives), or Saad. If there are no takers for Murph and Anisimov doesn't waive--and Stan feels like he has to move a player as opposed to standing pat), It pretty much defaults to Saad being the one to move simply because he's making the cash and doesn't have any clauses on his contract.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
My bad, I wasn't clear:

If Stan feels compelled to move a player making $3M in cap or more...our choices are Murphy, Anisimov (if he waives), or Saad. If there are no takers for Murph and Anisimov doesn't waive--and Stan feels like he has to move a player as opposed to standing pat), It pretty much defaults to Saad being the one to move simply because he's making the cash and doesn't have any clauses on his contract.

Oh ok. I wasn't sure if there was some impetuous for the 3 mil mark, like there was a player you wanted in free agency or something.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
main question for me is this. he is a RFA and what will his contract look like next yr and the length ??

Based on some recent signings of players around his age, I'd guess between 5.5-6.5M

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
My bad, I wasn't clear:

Why do the Hawks care about cap space?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Oh ok. I wasn't sure if there was some impetuous for the 3 mil mark, like there was a player you wanted in free agency or something.

No..i just figure any lower-priced player that is worth something--like Schmaltz/El Gato are worth keeping around...The Duke tops out for "low price" at $1.2M. Then there's a gap until Murph at $3.85M

@Pez68 : I don't know if they do or not (and I don't think even the 'hawks do). I was just saying is Stan felt compelled to swap out a player as a cap dump, Saad might be the one if Murph wasn't--simply because of the clauses.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Saad, Rutta, 2nd, Pokka for Trouba. I'd swap Snuggy or Krys with Pokka if needed. Trouba pleaseeee.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Saad, Rutta, 2nd, Pokka for Trouba. I'd swap Snuggy or Krys with Pokka if needed. Trouba pleaseeee.

I’d hate to lose Saad but for Trouba, yeah, bring him in. That would be a massive addition to the blue line.

Reactions: migi

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Based on some recent signings of players around his age, I'd guess between 5.5-6.5M
ok, if that is the price, there is nothing the team can do about it. now my only suggestion is to be smart and not go hog wild.

the payroll will increase, a trade of 1 or 2 pricey vets can help the salary cap flexibility.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
i hate to say this but that is overkill.

Not really - Rutta was a free asset, Pokka is pretty much done with our organization. 2nd hurts, yes and so does Saad, but look at recent young top pairing D trades

Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall
Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen
Mikhail Sergachev for Jonathan Drouin (obviously not a top pairing D yet, but point still stands)
Dougie Hamilton for 15th, 45th, 52nd overall in 2015
Travis Hamonic for 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 2nd

Team can always pick up forwards in the draft - which they have been very good at (Dcat, Schmaltz, Hino, Hartman, Shaw, Saad, Hayden, Teravainen, Danault, Sikura) and Europe (Kampf, Panarin)

Future D of

Forsling-Trouba
Jokiharju-Murphy
Snuggerud-Mitchell

Looks veryyyy good

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Not really - Rutta was a free asset, Pokka is pretty much done with our organization. 2nd hurts, yes and so does Saad, but look at recent young top pairing D trades

Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall
Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen
Mikhail Sergachev for Jonathan Drouin (obviously not a top pairing D yet, but point still stands)
Dougie Hamilton for 15th, 45th, 52nd overall in 2015
Travis Hamonic for 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, 2019 2nd

Team can always pick up forwards in the draft - which they have been very good at (Dcat, Schmaltz, Hino, Hartman, Shaw, Saad, Hayden, Teravainen, Danault, Sikura) and Europe (Kampf, Panarin)

Future D of

Forsling-Trouba
Jokiharju-Murphy
Snuggerud-Mitchell

Looks veryyyy good
don't get me wrong, i been preaching about getting him last season when he pissed off the whole org. so yeah i can see how he can help, but it is still an overkill.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
ref the bold, i am sorry, but don't understand.

Saad and 2nd isnt enough he thinks. Not sure what I think.

Taylor Hall got Adam Larsson. I don’t use Sergachev for Drouin as example because Drouin wanted out and Drouin can speak Franceee so.

But yeah: Hall > Saad and Trouba >> Larsson. 2nd isnt enough and Rutta and Pokka doesnt have really that much value.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Saad and 2nd isnt enough he thinks. Not sure what I think.

Taylor Hall got Adam Larsson. I don’t use Sergachev for Drouin as example because Drouin wanted out and Drouin can speak Franceee so.

But yeah: Hall > Saad and Trouba >> Larsson. 2nd isnt enough and Rutta and Pokka doesnt have really that much value.
re the bold, ok, many thanks, i now understand.

Reactions: migi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad