Trade Deadline- What to Do??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
that opening night game was almost bizzaro world for this team. they looked so damn mighty out there all lines were clicking...you just felt this was the year again as the youth was stepping up big time as well...that feels like forever ago.

They were allowed to play and open an aggressive style that fits this team. After that game it seems like they have tried to go back to the 2013/2015 Hawks which makes no sense to do. This team is one that you need to let them play more open.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
As for what I would do at the TD.

Trade AA for a pick (1st rounder).

Trade Kempny and a pick for a better pick. I personally like Kempny but Q is Q.

Trade Wingels for a 4th round pick. Can help a contender.

Maybe look at trading Forsberg for Subban (Malcom).

If there is a taker for Sharp, Bouma, Rutta* etc. you do it for a pick.

Explore trading Crow or Keith (huge overpayment) if the deal is right and they will wave.

Longterm: Seabrook is a compliance Buyout. Fire Q and bring in a younger coach that plays modern systems and can breath life into Toews. Montgomery or JC? Personally I don't think Toews is done but he needs to rebuild his game. When he played with Schmaltz and Panik last season they were more open and creative, this is my starting point.

Reactions: migi and ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Neither expecting AA to be traded nor do I want to see it happen. I'd rather keep him here and go for a Cup one or two more times than get a 1st or 2nd+ for him. Trade off the expendables for mid-round picks and go from there.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I said it in another thread, but change the coach, try to upgrade the D a bit and run it back. New coach/system, healthy Crow and a functional PP don't seem like a lot to ask.

I still contend this team isn't as far away as it seems.

I could be convinced either way on Anisimov. If teams want to acquire Sharp, Wingels, Bouma's have at it.

Reactions: migi

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The best thing that could happen before the trade deadline is for the Hawks to be basically eliminated from PO contention. Because anything other than that, and I think Bowman is looking to buy and not sell.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Neither expecting AA to be traded nor do I want to see it happen. I'd rather keep him here and go for a Cup one or two more times than get a 1st or 2nd+ for him. Trade off the expendables for mid-round picks and go from there.

Agree with this. I think the best strategy is to wait until the offseason to make any significant moves.

That way they'll know the following.

Where they will be drafting, so if they get a blue chip prospect that can help immediately then this is thought process-> if they get a top 5 pick and select one of Dahlin, Tkachuk, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist -> draft D, keep Anisimov , draft C/W, trade Anisimov for D.

Also, they'll know what the cap ceiling will be and what they might be able to spend on a top 4 defenseman. I'd be in favor of targeting John Carlson with the intention of buying out Seabrook the following season with a compliance buyout, so the cap hit difference should be mostly negligible long term.

And Anisimov's NMC will be up, so then they should have more leverage as they can talk to more teams and take the best offer.

Point is in the summer they'll have more clarity on a lot of variables that are important to addressing the team's needs.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
@Toews2Bickell pretty nice post overall but I’m pretty sure compliance buy-outs would be in hand after 19-20 season. I think the 20-21 season is in danger for lock-out.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
@Toews2Bickell pretty nice post overall but I’m pretty sure compliance buy-outs would be in hand after 19-20 season. I think the 20-21 season is in danger for lock-out.

Oh okay, then yeah, maybe they shouldn't join the Carlson sweepstakes. He's going to get a hefty cap hit, probably slightly over Seabrook's. They could move Anisimov to make it work for next year, I think, but it would be a gamble, especially if the compliance buyouts aren't granted the following season when Schmaltz is due for a sizable raise.

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Oh okay, then yeah, maybe they shouldn't join the Carlson sweepstakes. He's going to get a hefty cap hit, probably slightly over Seabrook's. They could move Anisimov to make it work for next year, I think, but it would be a gamble, especially if the compliance buyouts aren't granted the following season when Schmaltz is due for a sizable raise.

Yeah this is what I’m thinking too. Of course you could make an assumption that promise Schmaltz a big raise after Seabrook’s buy-out and sign him before that 1y bridge deal. The problem is that after last lock-outs the cap ceiling has been a lot below vs. before lock-out. Not sure it would happen this time too but I think there is a case for it to happen.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah this is what I’m thinking too. Of course you could make an assumption that promise Schmaltz a big raise after Seabrook’s buy-out and sign him before that 1y bridge deal. The problem is that after last lock-outs the cap ceiling has been a lot below vs. before lock-out. Not sure it would happen this time too but I think there is a case for it to happen.

Agree. If the compliance buyout happens then they can reasonable fit in Carlson by removing Seabrook's cap hit, that's ~7m, then there will be a couple million in cap inflation to afford the extra 1m or so that Carlson will command. For Schmaltz, they can move Anisimov for an ELC or draft picks, take his ~4.5m and give it to Schmaltz for a long-term extension. The money should work out okay assuming normal cap inflation.

Not sure how people would feel about giving Carlson the term he will command tho. Almost like potentially going from one disaster contract to the next. But if there is this idea of retool on the fly then it could make sense. He's around the same age as Toews and Kane, right handed shot and would be a natural replacement for the void Seabrook has left in the top 4.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Agree. If the compliance buyout happens then they can reasonable fit in Carlson by removing Seabrook's cap hit, that's ~7m, then there will be a couple million in cap inflation to afford the extra 1m or so that Carlson will command. For Schmaltz, they can move Anisimov for an ELC or draft picks, take his ~4.5m and give it to Schmaltz for a long-term extension. The money should work out okay assuming normal cap inflation.

Not sure how people would feel about giving Carlson the term he will command tho. Almost like potentially going from one disaster contract to the next. But if there is this idea of retool on the fly then it could make sense. He's around the same age as Toews and Kane, right handed shot and would be a natural replacement for the void Seabrook has left in the top 4.

Long quote but I like Carlson a lot and would pay him Seabrook’s money easily. I think he is not available though cause Caps aint in cap hell next summer. But yeah. We could fit a guy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Long quote but I like Carlson a lot and would pay him Seabrook’s money easily. I think he is not available though cause Caps aint in cap hell next summer. But yeah. We could fit a guy.

Carlson is going to hit the jackpot next year - if he makes Seabs money, it will be one hell of a discount... He is a legit #1 dman and the Caps know they can't let him go...he is making around $7.5 mil per season on his next contract IMO...he is 28 years old, prime of his career..

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
IF we are going in the camp that improvement on D + healthy CC = this team can compete, then we should go for Jacob Trouba

Best d-man availabke on the market
Fits core age (23 yrs old)
RD
All-around minute munching D-man

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
IF we are going in the camp that improvement on D + healthy CC = this team can compete, then we should go for Jacob Trouba

Best d-man availabke on the market
Fits core age (23 yrs old)
RD
All-around minute munching D-man
main question for me is this. he is a RFA and what will his contract look like next yr and the length ??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It wouldn't surprise me in the least, in fact I brough it up in another thread a week or so ago.
I say send him to Pittsburgh for Sprong, Cole and a 1st or Guentzel, Cole and a 1st.
i can see how that can help the team, meaning trading him. but i still would go with the first priority of getting a new coach.....

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
i can see how that can help the team, meaning trading him. but i still would go with the first priority of getting a new coach.....

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

If you mean wait to see if a new coach and system bring Saad back to being the player he was, then sure.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
If there's a team out there willing to overpay for Saad than we should go for it.
A 1st rounder plus a blue chip prospect plus some salary ( serviceable dman ) would be good.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If there's a team out there willing to overpay for Saad than we should go for it.
A 1st rounder plus a blue chip prospect plus some salary ( serviceable dman ) would be good.
that is or has to make the biggest fans think twice......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad