GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I would really hate it if we used our cap space just to facilitate a bunch of other trades or bought picks from other teams (because its highly unlikely we would be buying 1st rounders).
Our untradeable asset this TDL was a guy we picked up at 69th overall (nice).

A brief reminder of the potential value of picks outside the first round:
Aho 35
Pesce 66
Nikishin 69
Slavin 120

Our theory of roster construction is based around identifying undervalued, potentially cost-controlled talent. If we continue to be good at that, then it makes sense to acquire as many 2nd and even 3rd round picks as we can, assuming we've already exhausted better value options.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ok that's fine.

We need one big move that improves the current roster, and ideally shores up the Top 6 with another goal scorer that allows Jarvis to play on the 4th line on the stretch run/playoffs.

After that, if there's room for a reclamation project, sure why not.
We need 2 moves ideally. An impact forward that replaces what we lost in Pacioretty and a depth defenseman, so that when there's an injury, we don't have to insert Coghlan into the line-up.

We have no legitimate depth. Yeah, I get that we can call up a guy like Drury or Rees for 4th line, but that just moves a non-ideal asset into the top 6 if there's an injury there.

I'll be surprised if Carolina doesn't make 2 moves for those reasons. They felt they needed Pacioretty before the season started and that doesn't change.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
Our untradeable asset this TDL was a guy we picked up at 69th overall (nice).

A brief reminder of the potential value of picks outside the first round:
Aho 35
Pesce 66
Nikishin 69
Slavin 120

Our theory of roster construction is based around identifying undervalued, potentially cost-controlled talent. If we continue to be good at that, then it makes sense to acquire as many 2nd and even 3rd round picks as we can, assuming we've already exhausted better value options.
This is a good point and also interesting to compare to what Julien Brisbois said in response to people calling him crazy for trading a draft's worth of picks for Tanner Jeannot.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Since we're moving here, my response to this:

No, no you do not. Adding a player only moves the needle a small amount. This isn't the NBA where one player changes the fate of a team. History shows that deadline adds rarely have much impact on the receiving team, and most Cup winners don't add anyone significant. I get that people have fear of missing out, but it's an emotional response, not a logical one.

This meltdown is just flat out moronic. Can't wait until this thing is over.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Its easy to do this when you have Hedman Stamkos and Point to lean on.
And when you consider that Stamkos and Kucherov are 32 and signed through 2024 and 2025, it makes a lot of sense to focus on improvements in the next 2-3 years in lieu of picks.

Even Kucherov, signed through 2027, is unlikely to play with many of the traded picks.

Carolina's strategy is to make the window longer and it has a younger core that makes that idea feasible. The picks are more valuable to Carolina because of roster construction.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Thanks Chris for buying the used car well above market. That definitely helps other buyers out.
The TDL is always a seller's market, and the obvious assets are also the most valuable. This team will very rarely be the highest bidder for an obviously valuable asset. Some big market and/or "win this year or bust" team will always "overpay".

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We need 2 moves ideally. An impact forward that replaces what we lost in Pacioretty and a depth defenseman, so that when there's an injury, we don't have to insert Coghlan into the line-up.

We have no legitimate depth. Yeah, I get that we can call up a guy like Drury or Rees for 4th line, but that just moves a non-ideal asset into the top 6 if there's an injury there.

I'll be surprised if Carolina doesn't make 2 moves for those reasons. They felt they needed Pacioretty before the season started and that doesn't change.
E. Staal as the depth piece? 11 goals (pacing for 17.5 over full season but even since he started scoring)

Can play on the fourth line but also move up?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
What about Buchnevic? Is he at all available from Stl?

E. Staal as the depth piece? 11 goals (pacing for 17.5 over full season but even since he started scoring)

Can play on the fourth line but also move up?

I have to ask....any way Reinhart would be available?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
What about Buchnevic? Is he at all available from Stl?

I have to ask....any way Reinhart would be available?
Yeah, I think Reino is likely available for the right price? There is some smoke, plus it looks like he might be the odd man out of the top 6 given lack of chemistry with Barkov.

My guess is if we trade Reino in conference, we want the major pieces for a Chychrun trade so first+A prospect+something small

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, I think Reino is likely available for the right price? There is some smoke, plus it looks like he might be the odd man out of the top 6 given lack of chemistry with Barkov.

My guess is if we trade Reino in conference, we want the major pieces for a Chychrun trade so first+A prospect+something small

How much do you like Drury?

1st + Drury + minor prospect or 3rd?

Reactions: Daeavorn

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The TDL is always a seller's market, and the obvious assets are also the most valuable. This team will very rarely be the highest bidder for an obviously valuable asset. Some big market and/or "win this year or bust" team will always "overpay".

Was kidding but yes, I agree.

JR is in Vancouver now.

But he'll always be in our hearts.

Reactions: Daeavorn

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
on Daily Faceoff Live - Saravelli just said the Canes have circled back with the Flyers about Hayes after missing out on Meier, says it all depends on the amount of $$$ they'd be willing to retain. the Avs and Wild also sniffing around he says...return could be "juicy" if the right amount of salary retained

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
on Daily Faceoff Live - Saravelli just said the Canes have circled back with the Flyers about Hayes after missing out on Meier, says it all depends on the amount of $$$ they'd be willing to retain. the Avs and Wild also sniffing around he says...return could be "juicy" if the right amount of salary retained
What about JVR? Wouldn't be a huge move, but we can absorb the cap hit and he'd likely come nearly free due to it.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What about JVR? Wouldn't be a huge move, but we can absorb the cap hit and he'd likely come nearly free.

He may have said more about JVR, but I only caught that teams that missed on a Meier might circle back to him, no real specifics. I didn’t catch the whole show though, just really the part about Hayes

Reactions: DaveG

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Hayes? WTF no. 30 years old, under 50% in the dot, and has never even sniffed a point per game pace?

F No.

JVR is worse than Hayes.

Just do nothing. Don't give anything for this junk.

ETA at this point please just don't do anything dumb. Take a cap dump that ends this year or something to help out a west team. Who cares. Just don't give anything for the likes of Hayes, JVR, or other flat garbage

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
And Kucherov.

But he's not wrong. They have only a couple more years of those guys being in their prime, so go all in and mortgage the future. Worry about rebuilding down the road.
Like PIT when Crosby finally hangs them up. TB will probably sell the farm, put in a few good tank years, draft a few top tens and start the whole shebang over. It’s the ebb and flow of the thing.

It’s the one thing the Hurricanes never could seem to force themselves to do under Karmanos. And judging by recent Dundon comments he has no intention of ever playing the tank game either.

From a business point of view I understand not wanting to have a few down years. From a drafting and developing superstar talent point of view that allows you to have the REALLY good years it seems tough to pull off without a few really bad seasons mixed in every 10-15 seasons.

Reactions: chaz4hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad