Speculation: Trade Deadline Rumors/Speculation Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Anyone else kind of hate the lack of leaks involving SJ? Damn it DW, give out some leaks so I have something to be excited or upset about.
no, not really. Leaks just add drama and waste time.

However, there are still a few weeks until the deadline, so leaks could be coming, but i doubt it.

BennyB

Jan 9, 2007
Until the Sharks come to some agreement with the Karlsson camp, Doug’s hands and checkbook are kinda tied. That’s a lot of money hanging in the balance. I think the contract terms of Pavelski, Jumbo, and Donskoi depend a lot on what Karlsson asks for. It would be bad negotiating practice to lead on as to if Karlsson wants to stay or not before the Sharks table an offer. Karlsson wouldn’t disarm his agent like that before negotiations.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm not sure i understand the point of musing about trading Karlsson if he isnt going to re-sign. I get the concept of trading a pending UFA to recoup some assets, but this is an extraordinary case. Can we save some digital ink on the speculation about trading him before the end of the season? It's really not going to happen

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Chicago, Minny and New York were scouting this past game. I would presume we are at least in talks with them.
Nobody on Chi worth noting, Zucc the only Ranger of interest.. Staal on Minn but if their in the hunt, i dont see him getting traded.
Nyquist from Detroit maybe?
Skinner from Buff?
Maybe pry Johansson out of Jersey?

These seem more reasonable than a Panarin pipe dream..

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Anyone else kind of hate the lack of leaks involving SJ? Damn it DW, give out some leaks so I have something to be excited or upset about.
It's frustrating to not know the direction the team is headed but strategically it's important to keep things quiet until they're done. Loose lips sink ships. A huge reason we got Jumbo was that we were pretty much the only team that knew he was available. GMs selling and player's agents use leaks to the press to drive up prices. The converse of that is when something is going wrong and it leaks you end up with a situation like the one in Ottawa, and nobody wants that.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We aren't interested in fehr. They would have just kept him
No. No they wouldn't have just kept him. He made more in UFA than the Sharks we're likely willing to spend at the time. They were hoping a young internal player would grab the 4th line center spot and run with it. That didn't happen so now they're likely looking for a way to fill that spot again. Fehr already played and made a significant, positive impact and already has chemistry with the team and it's players. This is exactly the type of player DW would go out and grab especially if it's for a 7th or a very low rated prospect. I'm betting the market for Fehr is probably limited to a team like the Sharks who are already familiar with him.

I'd love to have Mark Stone, but the price will be through the roof. And there will be a lot of teams vying for his services.
This argument ceases to have merit anymore. DW has proven he can get players for seemingly nothing. No reason to lack a little faith now in a year where the team is clearly all in. I would almost bet he's looking to add a significant talent to the top 6 to put the team over the top. A top 6 center or elite winger and a backup goalie who can fill in of Jones falters. Not taking any chances this season. Hopefully it's Braun, Lebanc, Dell, 2nd rd pick as available trade bait. If they can keep Braun as insurance for injuries I'm fine with that.

One thing to consider is that the Chi twins junior season will end and they can come play with the Cuda correct? There will be a pool of AHL players that may be ready for spot duty if necessary with the big club at the end of the season and playoffs. I could see Chechovich being called up to fill in if they trade Lebanc or any other bottom 6 NHL or one of the higher prospects in the AHL. He was easily the most impressive young forward in preseason and appears to have taken it to another level this season in Juniors. He's the one prospect I hope they don't lose in their quest for the cup this season.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
One thing to consider is that the Chi twins junior season will end and they can come play with the Cuda correct? There will be a pool of AHL players that may be ready for spot duty if necessary with the big club at the end of the season and playoffs. I could see Chechovich being called up to fill in if they trade Lebanc or any other bottom 6 NHL or one of the higher prospects in the AHL. He was easily the most impressive young forward in preseason and appears to have taken it to another level this season in Juniors. He's the one prospect I hope they don't lose in their quest for the cup this season.

Yes. But most of the Sharks' CHL-playing kids are on teams with playoff expectations, so it won't be early April for their availability, but could be later or never this season.

Expect that the guys on the current AHL roster (left after TDL) will be the pool to draw from for call ups, along with any (potentially) undrafted free agents signed.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yes. But most of the Sharks' CHL-playing kids are on teams with playoff expectations, so it won't be early April for their availability, but could be later or never this season.

Expect that the guys on the current AHL roster (left after TDL) will be the pool to draw from for call ups, along with any (potentially) undrafted free agents signed.
Except that the Chi twins both got done early enough last season to help the 'Cuda at the end of the season and playoffs which means they could have been called up to the big club if necessary, correct?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except that the Chi twins both got done early enough last season to help the 'Cuda at the end of the season and playoffs which means they could have been called up to the big club if necessary, correct?

They were both ousted early in the playoffs last year and I don't expect both of them to have that happen again this year but it's possible.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Patience, grasshopper

You don't make a trade just to do something. One of the worst trades Sharks made on TDL was a Marco Sturm replacement for stretch run. BECAUSE DW had to less than 24 hours to find and do deal as he'd been injured the night before. (It was so bad, they actually had a body double for him in team picture and photoshopped his face in.)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don’t know, but I’m getting ready to add the poking the rock meme.

Do something DW. Do anything.... almost anything. Just something.

This is one of the years where I am actually fine with DW not even making a move at the TDL. That being said, I am pretty sure he does make a move or two before the TDL.

Just a pure guess on my part but the bigger the move, the greater the chance that EK65 is re-signing. I think if DW feels that EK65 is not re-signing, he will just try to play it safe.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Interesting thing I found online.

Craig Oster is the agent for Hertl, Kane, Erik Karlsson, Stone, Eberle, Zuccarelo, and Eric Fehr.

Hopefully he and Doug are on good terms!

Timo Meier and Melker's agent is former Shark great Claude Lemeiux

Dillon, Jones, Silfverberg's agent is Kevin Epp

Pat Brisson has a history of getting guys paid- Tavares, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Marleau, and coming soon Duchene and Barzal.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Interesting thing I found online.

Craig Oster is the agent for Hertl, Kane, Erik Karlsson, Stone, Eberle, Zuccarelo, and Eric Fehr.

Hopefully he and Doug are on good terms!

Timo Meier and Melker's agent is former Shark great Claude Lemeiux

Dillon, Jones, Silfverberg's agent is Kevin Epp

Pat Brisson has a history of getting guys paid- Tavares, Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Marleau, and coming soon Duchene and Barzal.

Erik Karlsson’s agent is Don Meehan.

As I recall, Sasha Chmelevski and Artemi Panarin have the same agent.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
EK65 is going to get paid one way or the other. Its kind of funny to see some TBL fans penciling him in at 9M AAV just because he wants to play with Hedman. To me, an offer like that would be terrible because it was rumored that Ottawa offered him an 80M deal over 8 years which he rejected. And that was last year before the trade was made and EK65 had made it clear that he really wanted to stay in Ottawa.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Patience, grasshopper

You don't make a trade just to do something. One of the worst trades Sharks made on TDL was a Marco Sturm replacement for stretch run. BECAUSE DW had to less than 24 hours to find and do deal as he'd been injured the night before. (It was so bad, they actually had a body double for him in team picture and photoshopped his face in.)

Which trade are you referring to?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
EK65 is going to get paid one way or the other. Its kind of funny to see some TBL fans penciling him in at 9M AAV just because he wants to play with Hedman. To me, an offer like that would be terrible because it was rumored that Ottawa offered him an 80M deal over 8 years which he rejected. And that was last year before the trade was made and EK65 had made it clear that he really wanted to stay in Ottawa.

I really don't think him staying in Ottawa had anything to do with money to be honest.

I still think he resigns, there's a reason we are not hearing a whole lot on this yet, because they both know they can't sign a new contract until after the TDL. That's it. We are a great team, with amazing consistency, great owners and a player focused GM. We have countless ex-players who chose to stay in the Bay Area even after short stints with the team, etc. We can afford to pay him whatever he wants, and we are the only team that can give him an 8 year contract.

More than anything though, I just cannot imagine Eric wanting to uproot again and start this whole process over again.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I really don't think him staying in Ottawa had anything to do with money to be honest.

I still think he resigns, there's a reason we are not hearing a whole lot on this yet, because they both know they can't sign a new contract until after the TDL. That's it. We are a great team, with amazing consistency, great owners and a player focused GM. We have countless ex-players who chose to stay in the Bay Area even after short stints with the team, etc. We can afford to pay him whatever he wants, and we are the only team that can give him an 8 year contract.

More than anything though, I just cannot imagine Eric wanting to uproot again and start this whole process over again.

Not entirely, no. But if the rumor about him being offered 10M AAV is true, and he still chose to not re-sign despite having being so upfront about Ottawa being home and him wanting to be there, it would be shocking if he settles for less than that. That is what I am getting at with the 9M AAV TBL talk.

I would be shocked if he gets less than Doughy money for AAV. And like you said, we are the only team that can give him 8 years. The negotiations/talks have already started even though EK65 cannot sign before the TDL. That is promising. I am really hoping that we hear something quickly after the TDL. The excruciating part is going to start after the TDL as we start approaching FA.

Also, I cannot speak for sports professionals but for me, it would be great to rest assured about my future as soon as I can. I would think an EK65 who re-signs before hitting FA will be a lot more relaxed and perform better than someone who is not sure where he will be a few months from now. I am kind of playing devils advocate but EK65 has had enough time to decide whether he wants to stay in SJ or not.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Not entirely, no. But if the rumor about him being offered 10M AAV is true, and he still chose to not re-sign despite having being so upfront about Ottawa being home and him wanting to be there, it would be shocking if he settles for less than that. That is what I am getting at with the 9M AAV TBL talk.

I would be shocked if he gets less than Doughy money for AAV. And like you said, we are the only team that can give him 8 years. The negotiations/talks have already started even though EK65 cannot sign before the TDL. That is promising. I am really hoping that we hear something quickly after the TDL. The excruciating part is going to start after the TDL as we start approaching FA.

Also, I cannot speak for sports professionals but for me, it would be great to rest assured about my future as soon as I can. I would think an EK65 who re-signs before hitting FA will be a lot more relaxed and perform better than someone who is not sure where he will be a few months from now. I am kind of playing devils advocate but EK65 has had enough time to decide whether he wants to stay in SJ or not.
I thought he wouldn't sign because he wasn't being offered a NTC or NMC, and feared getting traded after signing for max years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad