Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I was at the stadium all weekend for the Twins series. Did a bunch of heads spontaneously explode in this forum with Smoak and Barney hit homeruns in the same game? :laugh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What roster strategy would that be?

keep the bottom roster spots open qnd flexible, not locked into any multi year contracts.

Last year we entered the season with a battle royale between cheap no commitment guys for all the bottom roster spots:

CF + BOF Pompey, Pillar, Carrera, Dickerson
2B + BIF Izturis, Goins, Kawsaki, Travis, Santiago
1B + BUT Valencia, Smoak, Colabello, Barton, Tolleson

and we let them sort it out via performance.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
keep the bottom roster spots open qnd flexible, not locked into any multi year contracts.

Last year we entered the season with a battle royale between cheap no commitment guys for all the bottom roster spots:

It's a lot different this year because the roster was more set. Also, the Jays did in guys for Spring Training but none of them stood out. Jays got lucky with Colabello last year. That rarely happens.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Pillar and Travis cementing themselves in those positions wasn't a bad thing.

Coming into the season, which "bottom of the roster" players were signed for multiple years?

There was a 1B/DH battle (Smoak, Colabello, Dominguez, Montero), a utility infield battle (Barney, Goins) and a fourth OF battle (Pompey, Lake, Carrera, Ceciliani). Not a single player among them was under contract for more than one year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Lansing just sent 15 players to the plate in the 3rd and scored 10 runs. Looks like Zeuch won't have to worry about taking a loss in his first Lansing start :laugh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
travis' injury was fortunate in a way because it gave barney an opportunity, but otherwise the roster was pretty gridlocked at the bottom.

Smoak, Cola, Goins, Thole were pretty much locked in. Only real competition was for 4th OF.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Looking like a fine draft from the new FO. Everyone impressing so far.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Do people still want Tulo traded? Did you not see his elite defensive playmaking skills? :sarcasm:

I don't want to see him run out of town, but out of all of our starters I would listen the most intently if someone came calling.

His 20m a year is a pretty big anchor for the team.

I mean, im in the minority that I would be actively shopping JB, but i mean besides that.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Division Record and Run Diff

* ALE: 351-312 (.529) +200 (+0.302)
* NLC: 330-320 (.508) +107 (+0.165)
* ALW: 329-327 (.502) -33 (-0.050)
* ALC: 325-328 (.498) -63 (-0.097)
* NLW: 317-336 (.486) -57 (-0.087)
* NLE: 318-337 (.486) -154 (-0.235)

this ****ing division.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I don't want to see him run out of town, but out of all of our starters I would listen the most intently if someone came calling.

His 20m a year is a pretty big anchor for the team.

I mean, im in the minority that I would be actively shopping JB, but i mean besides that.

TSN had an article up that threw out the idea of Bautista being used primarily as DH with the rash of injuries he has been experiencing in the OF. I'm with you in the minority that I would be shopping him around cause the money you're going tie up in him, EE, Donaldson, and Tulowitzki is Bronx territory. Plus he would return a really good haul of players and prospects.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Read the article on TSN quickly, Btw in my opinion clean up is a good spot for Bautista. His .861 OPS with RISP is still good. Give him some RBI oppurtunies batting 4th (still has some pop) would easily hit 30 + homers if healthy all year, and he can still get on base very well for Tulo, Martin behind him. Makes the most sense in my opinion. I'd have martin 5th, Tulo 6th, and you can rearrange Upton, Saunders, Pillar 7-8-9 depending on who's hot. Either way, lineup is legit. Dinner makes the bench a little deeper. A lefty 1B would be nice, but I won't lose any sleep over it if we don't make any other moves.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Read the article on TSN quickly, Btw in my opinion clean up is a good spot for Bautista. His .861 OPS with RISP is still good. Give him some RBI oppurtunies batting 4th (still has some pop) would easily hit 30 + homers if healthy all year, and he can still get on base very well for Tulo, Martin behind him. Makes the most sense in my opinion. I'd have martin 5th, Tulo 6th, and you can rearrange Upton, Saunders, Pillar 7-8-9 depending on who's hot. Either way, lineup is legit. Dinner makes the bench a little deeper. A lefty 1B would be nice, but I won't lose any sleep over it if we don't make any other moves.

Am I okay with this for the rest of the year? Absolutely.

Do I want to resign Bautista in the offseason? nah.

I'd rather let Saunders/JB walk, get the compensation from JB, and resign EE.

I'd also have a serious sit down with the reds over votto.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
TSN had an article up that threw out the idea of Bautista being used primarily as DH with the rash of injuries he has been experiencing in the OF. I'm with you in the minority that I would be shopping him around cause the money you're going tie up in him, EE, Donaldson, and Tulowitzki is Bronx territory. Plus he would return a really good haul of players and prospects.

Why would you intentionally downgrade a team that looks to be among the World Series favourites with a month left in the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad