Blue Jays Discussion: Trade deadline: Aug 31 (no, not that one. The other one. The waiver one)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There are literally countless examples of middling players turning elite in their late 20s.

There are zero examples of players matching career bests in their 40s.

Yeah, but almost all of these are between 1995 and 2005.

Agreed that Ortiz' season is bizarre, though.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Our depth was better last year. Depth has been a problem this year.

Our depth wasn't better last year. We are looking at Upton/Saunders as 4th OF this year in the playoffs while last year it was Pompey/Carrera. That is an upgrade. Our extra infielder last year was Cliff Penington and we were starting Goins, while this year Travis and Barney is a clear upgrade there. I don't really see how the depth could be seen as worse. The only area that we are thinner this year is in the pen and that is mostly because of Cecil having an off year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Even with season killing injuries to Travis and Saunders last year oir depth still performed much better than this year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Why would he use it in his final season and risk his name? It makes no sense.

Why Ortiz would go out and use PEDs this season is beyond me. He could have hypothetically finished the year with 15-20 HRs and his legacy wouldn't suffer one bit. If he did get caught this year his reputation would be ruined and he would likely face a long road to getting into Cooperstown.

The flaw in the logic is that he stopped in 2003, and then started again in 2015 or 2016. Under my scenario, he never stops, because hubris alone would dictate that you could not stop once you start. The man cares about winning, and his team relays heavily on his production in order to have success.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
The thing I liked more about last year's team was you pretty much knew the Yankees were going in reverse and weren't catching them.

The Red Sox still scare me.

I agree , more talking in terms of actual team. Boston is still a team that will give us a run.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, we're talking about a team that finished with a 117 wRC+ last year. The current Jays are 12% less productive than that but are on pace to finish with the same record. It's not a challenge to say the depth was better offensively last year, but their difference in impact is negligible.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And Goins, Revere, Carrera, and Barney. Even Travis' numbers were largely inflated by his amazing start. They all very likely saw career highs in wRC+, small samples and all.

Goins was high.

revere and carrera were normal. barney barely played.

Travis has actually been better tbis year than last year aside from his first 10-15gms when he rished back without any rehab or spring training games.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Colabello's fluke year helped a ton with the depth.

the roster strategy last year gave us the flexibility to take advantage of that kind of fluke year.

that could have been montero this year, but we'll never know.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Goins was high.

revere and carrera were normal. barney barely played.

Travis has actually been better tbis year than last year aside from his first 10-15gms when he rished back without any rehab or spring training games.

That doesn't stop you from associating Barney as part of the depth. Revere had a 102 wRC+ over 250 PAs, how often has that ever happened in his career? Carrera the same, they were noticeably better than their career numbers (although Carrera at least performed to a similar tune back in 2012 with the Indians over 48 games).

Outside of Donaldson and Saunders, I don't see anybody producing career high marks this season on the offensive end.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
and you would have been just as sure it wouldn't have been cola last year.

Colabello had a .442 wOBA and a wRC+ of 185 when he got called up last year. Also had a walk rate off 11.6%. He had done something similar in Triple-A in 2013, and had that one month with the Twins where he lit the world on fire prior to hurting his hand. I figured he might hit a bit (not BABIP his way to glory the way he did, but hit a bit).

Montero would have likely done his best Vladimir Guerrero impression and been sent down soon after pitchers realized he wasn't about taking BB's.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
and you would have been just as sure it wouldn't have been cola last year.

Collabello who had a 185 wRC+ in AAA last year and Montero who has a 128 wRC+ in AAA. Yes very comparable. Montero is average in triple A there isn't scenario where he just randomly posts a 143 wrc+ this year like Colla did for us last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad