Tortorella - coach of the year?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Clearly Torts is using advanced stats to attain this awesome performance.

The coach with the most surprising team (and makes the playoffs) usually has a good shot at winning this award, and nobody is close to as surprising as Columbus right now.

Ottawa might be be a slight surprise.... Perhaps Minnesota too. Toronto is doing slightly better than expected, maybe Edmonton too, but these surprises are nothing like Columbus.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
And there's a reason this is being discussed now, because it's not the end of the season yet.

If I put something in italics does it make me obviously correct or just obviously condescending?

Every year there's a thread or two about coach/goalie/team of the year far, far, far too early. Talking about the Jack Adams at this point is silly.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Yep. Absolutely this. The bolded in particular, more than anything else, is why I've basically gone from "this is the worst hiring in Blue Jackets history" to "dayum, I was totally wrong about the guy" in 14 months.

How has he evolved (not being snarky, just honestly curious for a CBJ fan perspective)?

I'll freely admit that I can't stand Torts. Couldn't stand him in his last couple of seasons with the Rangers and couldn't stand him as team USA coach at the world championships. With the Rangers his coaching mantra was basically have everyone block shots, hope Lundqvist gets a shutout and that a puck bounces off someone's face and into the other team's net at some point.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
How has he evolved (not being snarky, just honestly curious for a CBJ fan perspective)?

I'll freely admit that I can't stand Torts. Couldn't stand him in his last couple of seasons with the Rangers and couldn't stand him as team USA coach at the world championships. With the Rangers his coaching mantra was basically have everyone block shots, hope Lundqvist gets a shutout and that a puck bounces off someone's face and into the other team's net at some point.

In name, at least, he's gone back to the "safe is death" mantra from his Tampa Bay days. There's still shot blocking in the defensive zone, but far more important is an aggressive forecheck and being extremely fast and aggressive in zone transition. Part of how he does that is by having guys conserve energy where reasonable (fewer practices and no morning skates) and having shorter shifts on average. Being able to roll four lines regularly also helps a lot. :D

There's very definitely a relentless pace and push to the game, and it seems to wear other teams out while our guys keep going strong - as a consequence, the third period has basically become "our" period (today's game, in which Vancouver scored three goals against in the 3rd, was extremely unusual).

He also still calls guys out... but for things done right, rather than things done wrong. And he's not benched folks for any extended periods this year, although that may have more to do with that particular tool not being necessary. ;)

Basically, it seems like he still has very high standards, but he's no longer a screaming clownshow dick about it. Which is pretty awesome, and is one heck of a transformation from what has been visible before.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

When the CBJ hired him, they were 0-8 to start last season and I thought "Great another clown for the Columbus circus of an organization. ". However, he's really turned the mentality around. He harped several times on the teams poor physical conditioning and made that a priority during offseason and preseason. The locker room after the few wins the team had used to be treated as a party with loud music, now he has it more business like after wins. I expected him to go off on rants against players, media or refs, but he's been very professional in all aspects. The players are all onboard. The CBJ were a very good 5on5 team, but he flipped the PP from among worse in the league to #1 with the 1-3-1 and trusting a 19 year old to run it. He's also been very instrumental in helping Wennberg improve his game into a 1C.

Yes he expects blocked shots and constant forechecking. Which has them currently in top 2 GAA defense. But he's also expecting the D to look for an outlet pass and back up ice quickly to attack the other way. That constant coming at you pressure and their PP has them in the top 2 goals for offense with six guys with 20+ points in 29 games.

@Aportzline: #NHL goals-for:
1. #Pens 3.34
2. #CBJ 3.32
3. #NYR 3.30
4. #Flyers 3.12
Goals-against:
1. #mnwild 1.93
2. CBJ 2.04
3. #Caps 2.13
4. NYR 2.18

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
In name, at least, he's gone back to the "safe is death" mantra from his Tampa Bay days. There's still shot blocking in the defensive zone, but far more important is an aggressive forecheck and being extremely fast and aggressive in zone transition. Part of how he does that is by having guys conserve energy where reasonable (fewer practices and no morning skates) and having shorter shifts on average. Being able to roll four lines regularly also helps a lot. :D

There's very definitely a relentless pace and push to the game, and it seems to wear other teams out while our guys keep going strong - as a consequence, the third period has basically become "our" period (today's game, in which Vancouver scored three goals against in the 3rd, was extremely unusual).

He also still calls guys out... but for things done right, rather than things done wrong. And he's not benched folks for any extended periods this year, although that may have more to do with that particular tool not being necessary. ;)

Basically, it seems like he still has very high standards, but he's no longer a screaming clownshow dick about it. Which is pretty awesome, and is one heck of a transformation from what has been visible before.

Sounds like the Rangers in their 11-12 season, I'm happy torts is doing well so far

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

He has changed a lot. I have seen interviews where he talks about over coaching in previous seasons and now he wants to cut down on information overload. He said he was doing it for him because at the end of the day he knew he told them.what to.do he can't help it they didn't do it but at the same time he was laying to much on them and he had to simplify. He has stopped the turtle defense when being ahead and tries to never stop being offensively aggressive they call it reloading by once you lose it hurry regroup and force the turnover to go on the break. Many other small things but he is a very very good coach. The team started out having not won a game before he got there last year and is now basically the best team in the league. Zach Werenski alone doesn't change that. His system and way he runs the team changed that. This team is good without torts but not this good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad