Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Matthews is 2nd highest paid player in the league. With 5 year term. Let's face it. Millennial Dubas failed.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nah, I can't agree with this contract. No way to spin that. 11.5 a year and no significant hardware? Nope. If the term was longer, sure. Now I don't care. I expect him to challenge for the Art Ross. Not PPG. 95-100 points a year, year in and year out. If not, this contract is a failure.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kucherov + Stamkos + Hedman + McDonagh + Point = 45M (even if Point signs for 12M which is definitely on the high end).

Matthews + Nylander + Tavares + Marner + Rielly = 45M (if Marner signs for 10M).

You just have to pray that Vasilevsky and Point demand $$ or we're f***ed. We won't be able to compete with Tampa when Rielly's deal expires.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
You guys love to pretend that Leaf fans are the only ones who overreact.

Go to the main boards, go to the sports news websites, listen to the radio, they're all saying the exact same thing. For that money, the term isn't good enough. It's a bad contract.

What were you guys expecting him to sign for? I asked this earlier and all I see are tissues hitting the floor. He wasn't making McDavid coin. Were you really expecting him to cut us a deal? I sure as **** wasn't. I get it that he his highest point total in a season is 69

Reactions: HouseofBuggins

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
don't see the big deal here.. cap is going to go up astronomically in the next 3 years between a new CBA and revenue sharing from Seattle..

Relax money is tight next year then we're back to a good cap positon

Than he will ask for 18M in 5 years, as a UFA.
We are just totally f***ed.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Basically we have 5 shots to win cups and then we are going to be the modern day la/chi in about 2024 or so. Its not terrible but we really are 1101040% all in on these next few years.

Reactions: saffronleaf and IPS

wwgrd

Apr 28, 2014
I can't believe some people are just sheepishly accepting this garbage.

Clearly you aren't going to accept it and people are upset. ... so my question is what do you think you can do about it? What's your plan? What do you expect fans to do? Assume you are able to convince everyone that the sky is falling in Leaf land... what then? Are you going to protest outside of Scotiabank arena?

Do you think posting garbage on a message board means anything or will have an impact in anyway? Should we boycott the team now? Boo the players that sign the contracts that are offered?

The fact that a few people on here feel that they know what they are talking about or know what Dubas and Babcock should and shouldn't do is laughable. There is a reason why they are in the NHL and you are posting on a message board. They are much smarter than you when it comes to Hockey and the Hockey business. Time to accept it and be happy that the Leafs finally have a team and players to get excited about. Otherwise, stop following them and save yourself from the frustration. It's getting ridiculous.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
That's just it, we're witnessing the unravelling of the RFA structure as we know it. Maybe it's players more willing to hold out, maybe it's a compensation grid / player value/ salary relationship that makes offer sheets more viable.

But what will be interesting to see is how this ripples. Is it a Leaf phenomena, or a league wide restructuring?

In other words, the leafs gm is doing SO BADLY, that we’re now hoping it sets a league wide standard for other teams? That’s the only thing that can save us?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
How is everyone surprised ? He wasn't going to take anything less then Tavares.

Why are people worried about 5 years ? He will resign before that is up or they will get an absolute boat load for him.

Everyone needs to calm down a bit and stop whining

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Kucherov + Stamkos + Hedman + McDonagh + Point = 45M (even if Point signs for 12M which is definitely on the high end).

Matthews + Nylander + Tavares + Marner + Rielly = 45M (if Marner signs for 10M).

You just have to pray that Vasilevsky and Point demand $$ or we're ****ed. We won't be able to compete with Tampa when Rielly's deal expires.
The Kucherov deal is a hell of a steal, no doubt.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes. I wanted Lou to stick around for the contracts.

Make no mistake Babcock played a role in this too keeping their ice time down the first two seasons.

lou should have signed them over a year ago according to the post I replied to/ Or at least the leafs should have but I guess lou was on holiday mode at that point

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Dubas overpay again ?

Low term and inflated AAV.

I'm losing faith in Dubas.

Cap squeeze gets tighter.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Basically we have 5 shots to win cups and then we are going to be the modern day la/chi in about 2024 or so. Its not terrible but we really are 1101040% all in on these next few years.

The problem? Tampa is better than us and most of their core will still be in the prime for those 5 years and they have sweetheart deals.

We're might become the Washington Capitals before they won the Cup...they couldn't get past Pittsburgh, we might not get past Tampa.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Dubas has got to be the worst negotiator in the league. Caves on Nylander, but overpaying him by 0.4M I can live with as the term is decent
This Matthews contract is inexcusable, paying him an 8 year AAV on a 5 year deal.
Gonna have to pay him 15+ on his UFA contract probably, and will still have Tavares on the books at 11 for another year after that. **** off Dubas, grow some balls and stop caving in to these stupid contract demands.

And then, when Marner ends up with more points than Matthews, how much he is going to be asking for? I don't see him getting paid a penny less on a 5 y deal.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This team is going to be really thin in about 3 years.

We have to hope that Matthews plays to an MVP level when we lose depth because of this contract.

I am glad we got him signed but we absolutely need to find a way to get rid of Zaitsev soon. He has to go.

Marner likely gets above 10M now and likely for 5 years lol.
A 5 year deal for Marner is honestly the last thing that can happen....Like if Dubas comes out of these extensions with Willy,Marner,and Matthews all going to free agency at the same time....yikes.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

You just have to pray that Vasilevsky and Point demand $$ or we're ****ed. We won't be able to compete with Tampa when Rielly's deal expires.
You already know those 2 are not going to demand a premium price lol

They've just built a different culture there or they just got super lucky with a bunch of core players willing to take a fair amount less than what they're worth.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad