Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] G Anthony Stolarz signs with the Maple Leafs (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
If both stay healthy, a solid cheap tandem. The problem is, Woll's highest total of NHL games in a season is 25 and Stolarz's highest total is 28.

Reactions: Daz28

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
The Leafs do realize at some point you need a starting goalie, right?

You can't just keep collecting a basket of backups and then being mad when they don't perform in the playoffs. At some point you want quality over quantity.

Seems weird to allegedly be targeting a 55+ game starter like markstrom, then settle for a 25 game backup. Stolarz is fine at that term and hit, but I don't think he's the guy you want in a tandem with a young starter with injury concerns.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Given all that was availble in terms of goalies, I think you've gotta like this deal.

Yes, you can make the argument that Talbot would have been a better "fit" alongside Woll given his experience and proven ability to handle 50+ games, there may be some remaining upside in Stolarz who's shown flashes of excellence, but been stuck behind highly established goalies in Gibson and Bobrovsky most of his career.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Leafs do realize at some point you need a starting goalie, right?

You can't just keep collecting a basket of backups and then being mad when they don't perform in the playoffs. At some point you want quality over quantity.

If they tried and no starters were available, this is the next best thing.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Good deal for the Leafs, can’t believe Philly didn’t keep him when he was one of the best backups in hockey, guy could eventually become a starter, even as a backup still very solid, wouldn’t shock me if he does great there

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
So Woll starts? Stolarz backup?
Basically that's it. They will be able to deem it a 'competition'. I like Stoly a lot, and Woll may have upside, but again they're casting their goaltending situation into the wishing well. Good chance by the deadline fans will be clamoring to overpay(with not much assets) to bring in a legit, proven #1. Lather, rinse, repat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad