Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Jani Hakanpaa signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.47M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So this isn’t a confirmed signing

They are saying he never signed
Yes. Bone on bone injury and he may never play again. Sad because he's a solid bottom pair guy and would have helped Toronto.

Hate hate hate to see career ending injuries. But that may be what is happening here.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Who is "they"? Capfriendly had it, and I trusted those guys more than "they" most of the time. At least until I know who "they" are.

He didn’t actually sign. And where the confusion comes in is that the Leafs obviously had an intent to sign him on July 1“

- Chris Johnston at TSN Radio

clearly the league or even insurers knew more about his knee than he thought they would.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
sounds like he has to find an owner willing to sign uninsured

friedman mentioned awhile back not many owners do it, in regards to ferland's contract with Vancouver.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
That isn’t how LTIR works.

How do people not understand this after nearly 20 years.
The perception is, he signs, never plays a regular season game, collects his paycheck, and miraculously becomes healthy for the off season. His contract doesn't get used all season but his accrued value makes the team have a huge cap spending budget come trade deadline. What people fail to realise is his ltir number still needs to be filled by some player, likely around 800k-1m which makes the money they saved peanuts to ltir him a whole season. I'm a bit drunk but that's what I think most think is happening. No one factors in the replacement players value.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
The perception is, he signs, never plays a regular season game, collects his paycheck, and miraculously becomes healthy for the off season. His contract doesn't get used all season but his accrued value makes the team have a huge cap spending budget come trade deadline. What people fail to realise is his ltir number still needs to be filled by some player, likely around 800k-1m which makes the money they saved peanuts to ltir him a whole season. I'm a bit drunk but that's what I think most think is happening. No one factors in the replacement players value.
That's the worst nonsense about LTIR I have ever seen here.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The reality is that cap is not accrued on LTIR

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Good news for the Leafs if they passed on this contract. They need cap space more than a broken-down defenceman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad