Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Jake McCabe signs extension with the Maple Leafs (5 years, $4.51M AAV; deferred salary between year 2 and 3)

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Resident Leaf haters will hate it but like everything they do but,

Based on recent signings that puts him paid around an average #4 (3M seems to be price for bottom pair). I like it
3 million seems high for bottom pair. Deharnais, Forbort, and Branstrom make two and under, while our 2nd pair is four and three.

I can't speak on Mcabe but Brad isnt known for signing great deals

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
3 million seems high for bottom pair. Deharnais, Forbort, and Branstrom make two and under, while our 2nd pair is four and three.

Those guys are closer to #7 than bottom pair. Look at the deals handed out this summer, basically every good bottom pairing dman got 3M. I am talking about #5 guys not #6 treading water.

McCabe has been one of our best D and by far our most physical. I have no issues at all with this deal even if it takes him to 36.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Treliving buying solid AAVs with lengthy deals. Tanev, OEL, McCabe along with Rielly a pretty old group locked up for awhile. But the AAVs are really nice for the next couple of years while they're trying to win.
I think the OEL deal will suck as soon as December. The last 3 years he started off playing well, only to shit the bed January and locking in players to term they really shouldn't be getting for multiple players creates a ton of issues and only ever is ok is if the team wins a cup.
Being stuck with several bad contracts on players that likely don't push a team over the hump seems really dumb.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
This is a solid deal in isolation...

But slightly problematic in the grand scheme of things. He's getting a $2.51m raise (from our perspective), as he turns 32.

The next year the Leafs have 4 defencemen signed for a total of $19m, the youngest of which is Morgan Rielly at 31, who will have been a 12-year vet at this point.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

Keep in mind, that guy is predicting the Leafs 6th consecutive Cup this season.

McCabe is a defensive dman who's average defensively at best, can hit but fights worse than Galchenyuk. Bottom pairing defender on a Cup contender, but he was a must sign because the Leafs need to keep the dynasty together.

Leafs4Life77

Sep 30, 2009
This is a solid deal in isolation...

But slightly problematic in the grand scheme of things. He's getting a $2.51m raise (from our perspective), as he turns 32.

The next year the Leafs have 4 defencemen signed for a total of $19m, the youngest of which is Morgan Rielly at 31, who will have been a 12-year vet at this point.

The current cap hit (after retention) is irrelevant to the extension. You're not going to find a defenseman in free agency who can play on your 2nd pair for $2M.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He is 31 getting his highest salary on a five year deal. This is a player who struggled with injuries until the last few years. I don’t care for this deal at all

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
McCabe is an in his-prime defender who plays 21 minutes a night and provides rugged and dependable play for a team that has lacked it too often.

He plays the equivalent of #3 dman minutes on most teams. Whether or not you want to say you team’s #3 is better than him or not - he fills that roll solidly for Toronto so this is a fair market deal. It’s not like some super value deal, but it easily the going rate for a guy who plays the role McCabe does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad