Proposal: Tor-CBJ or PHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
So Nylander or Marner for Werenski or Provorov.

Philly says a polite no thanks. We need to fix our defense long term over getting another forward. No disrespect to the Marner or Nylander, we just can't afford to trade our top blue chip D prospect at this time unless it's in a package for a bonafide number 1 D.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Philly says a polite no thanks. We need to fix our defense long term over getting another forward. No disrespect to the Marner or Nylander, we just can't afford to trade our top blue chip D prospect at this time unless it's in a package for a bonafide number 1 D.

Understandable. I can see a situation where if the other D prospects are coming along great then a revisit is a prudent call. If you look at the players Nylander would excel under Giroux. They play a similar style so Nylander learning from him would just be sweet and then you guys would have 2 Giroux's and in Toronto Prov learning from Rielly would be sweet.
However from the Leafs side we would need Marner and some of our other fwd prospects to hit so we can afford to move Willy.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No to marner for either of them. Marner is not available for a prospect no matter how good
I'd do nylander for either but both teams are trying to build a strong backend and werenski and provorov will be big parts of that. We won't be trading either of these two guys and neither would the flyers or jackets.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd guess the Jackets are comfortable waiting and seeing how things unfold. There is little fear of Werenski's stock going anywhere but up, and we can wait and see how Dubois develops, and see if Nylander develops a good overall game and can play #1C. No hurry. If Nylander and Marner are just wingers then I highly doubt a trade would be made.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
No to marner for either of them. Marner is not available for a prospect no matter how good
I'd do nylander for either but both teams are trying to build a strong backend and werenski and provorov will be big parts of that. We won't be trading either of these two guys and neither would the flyers or jackets.

Pretty much.

None of the teams involved have any reason to doubt that their prospects will not pan out. So they don't have any incentive to do the trade.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I would do nylander for either of those, and I would do marner for provorov (it's very close), but not werenski, though again, it's close

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
These swaps don't happen, no matter how good the fit is. If a GM ends up trading a boom for a bust, his job is on the line very quickly. It's a risk which no GM isn't taking.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pretty much.

None of the teams involved have any reason to doubt that their prospects will not pan out. So they don't have any incentive to do the trade.

"Doubt" is not even the most likely reason teams trade young players.

Positional needs are what this proposal is about. The Leafs may or may not want to do this trade, but at some point they're going to need another D with top pair ability. That's plenty of incentive.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Everyone seems to think the values are pretty close just not willing to make there moves at the time because they are happy with there own prospects. The guy had a good value Idea just, no one wants to move there player and I don't blame them.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
There's probably about a dozen legit #1 defencemen in the NHL. Provorov and Werenski both look like they could potentially be that. I'm not trading that for a forward...only because I know how freaking hard it is to find one.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
"Doubt" is not even the most likely reason teams trade young players.

Positional needs are what this proposal is about. The Leafs may or may not want to do this trade, but at some point they're going to need another D with top pair ability. That's plenty of incentive.
Pretty much the only reason for a team giving up a highly regarded prospect is doubt. If positionality is a need, 99% of the time a prospect will be traded as part of a package for a more established player that plays that position.

You just don't see prospect for prospect swaps unless the teams have lost confidence in their prospect.

Take Rychel for instance. A big part of why he was traded, and why there were off ice issues with management, is because management believed his top end potential was as a 3rd line winger, maximum, dating back to the start of last summer. And they told him that. And were not shy about the fact that Anderson, who himself projects as a bottom-6 winger, passed Rychel in the depth chart.

Last edited:

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Pretty much the only reason for a team giving up a highly regarded prospect is doubt. If positionality is a need, 99% of the time a prospect will be traded as part of a package for a more established player that plays that position.

Nylander is better as a centre.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
None of the teams have any real incentive to agree with the trade.

Toronto is better of keeping their bluechips prospects.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Love both defenceman, but there is a reason marner was selected before provorov and Nylander is such a tantalizing offensive dynamo I'd hate to give up. The leafs have been an offensively starved team after kessel was traded, we can't be trading away 'home grown' talent like the leafs of old. Thanks, but no thanks. We can continue to build through the draft and eventually were going to hit gold with a defenceman. Till then, defence by committee and team defence is going to be our M O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad