Top defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
The best I've seen in the tourney so far have been Bourdon, Emelin, J. Johnson and Parent.
Johnson's cheap shot may have cost him some votes.
It will come down to whoever steps up in the medal round.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Bourdon is playing amazing. But he had his bad moments too. I haven't seen Johnson play other than tonight. Barker hasn't impress me a bit. Wasn't he supposed to be the next great defenceman coming from the West a couple of seasons ago, when he started?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Top 4 (No order)

Bourdon
Staal
J. Johnson
Parent - Got to give him props with Staal for shutting down Kessel, Ive watched kessel in 2 previous games and hes been the man, tonight...he was not.

Note:
I've only seen 1 1/2 Canada Games
3 USA Games
1 1/2 Finland Games
1 Norway Game

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Watching tonight's game...Bourdon had too many big turnovers to win this award. He should be a good one, but he was too inconsistent IMO.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Nobody's seen games from group B on tv unless you get the tapes right from
IIHF. As far as I am concerned the top two are Emelin and Biryukov

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Judging by stats only, Emelin, Hedman and Biryukov have been amazing. Emelin with only +2, but leading the defensemen in scoring with 1+5.

Hedman with 1+3 and a +9, Biryukov with 0+4 and a +6.

I always like to look at the +/- stat when it comes to defenders (if I don't see the games that is), because most defenders rack their points on PP and that doesn't tell you much.

Luc Bourdon (1+4), Erik Johnson (1+3), Teemu Laakso (2+1) and Kristopher Letang (0+2), all with +4.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Enoch said:
Watching tonight's game...Bourdon had too many big turnovers to win this award. He should be a good one, but he was too inconsistent IMO.
I didn't notice any big turnovers... he made a horrible read on Muellers goal, but that was it. He was pushing around all of the American forwards, and made a few nice breakout passes. Didn't get the PP time that Barker/Russell got.

AgentNaslund*

for team Canada Its Luc Bourdon. Playing very good defensively, playing awesome offensively. I cant speak for the other teams. havent seen enough of the other teams, but I would think Jack Johnson is USA's best dman.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
This is a tough one, and I've only seen a few teams once so I can't say for sure. The top three I've seen in the tourney have probably been Emelin, Bourdon, and Staal. Emelin has had some really good games, and the stats show he has been solid on both ends of the puck. Bourdon is a monster out there, what impresses me most about this kid is his recovery ability. He makes a few mistakes sure, but he is fast enough, and aggressive enough to recover. There were a few times he raced down the ice to totally nullify a 2-on-1. Staal has been an absolute beast on the defensive end of the games. He has really excelled at 1-on-1's, and shows a strength along the boards that allows him to win a lot of battles.

These 3 guys are probably my picks so far. J. Johnson has fallen out of grace due to his unacceptable behavior.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
TheDynasty said:
This is a tough one, and I've only seen a few teams once so I can't say for sure. The top three I've seen in the tourney have probably been Emelin, Bourdon, and Staal. Emelin has had some really good games, and the stats show he has been solid on both ends of the puck. Bourdon is a monster out there, what impresses me most about this kid is his recovery ability. He makes a few mistakes sure, but he is fast enough, and aggressive enough to recover. There were a few times he raced down the ice to totally nullify a 2-on-1. Staal has been an absolute beast on the defensive end of the games. He has really excelled at 1-on-1's, and shows a strength along the boards that allows him to win a lot of battles.

These 3 guys are probably my picks so far. J. Johnson has fallen out of grace due to his unacceptable behavior.

^Jack Johnson (and Erik Johnson) are still more impressive than guys like Emelin.

AgentNaslund*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Bourdon absolutely owend Bob Ryan in the corners. 225 pound Bob Ryan...

I cant think even think of a foward on team Canada playing better then Bourdon. Honestly, it seems like hes Team Canadas best player.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I mentioned this in another thread and I thought I would post it here too to get some reaction. I would first like to say that yes I am a Blackhawk fan, but I would also like to say that I was never much of a Barker fan... until this tournement.

It still boggles my mind how little credit this guy gets, I don`t understand this attitude towards him. I wasn`t going to bother mentioning this, because I didn`t want to interrupt the big Bourdon lovefest, but to me Barker has been Canada`s best defenseman, if not the best in the tournement. Everyone keeps saying "Barker hasn`t impressed me", well then you can`t be looking very hard. Barker isn`t one of those players like Bourdon and Phaneuf that are going to jump out and impress you, but if you really watch his game, he is exceptional. I really like Bourdon, but if you watch the game closely he makes quite a few mistakes, often as a result of trying to do too much, this isn`t the case with Barker. Defensively Barker reads the play almost on another level, his defense is excellent even though he doesn`t hit too often (which I really hope he starts since he has the size and strength), his positioning is also very good and his break out passes are perfect. He rarely gets caught up the ice, almost never overcommits himself, and controls the gap well. Offensively, again, his vision sets him apart from almost any other defenseman in this tournement, his wrist shot from the point is one of the best I have ever seen , he controls the puck better than any defenseman in the tournement, and his passes are deadly accurate.

To all of you who have not been impressed with Barker, I challenge you to watch him closely next game and I guarentee you will be impressed.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Chelios said:
Everyone keeps saying "Barker hasn`t impressed me", well then you can`t be looking very hard. Barker isn`t one of those players like Bourdon and Phaneuf that are going to jump out and impress you, but if you really watch his game, he is exceptional
aha ... and if you don't think that Barker is the best then you suck/didn't watch/ don't understand :D It sounds so :dunno:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Kaizer said:
aha ... and if you don't think that Barker is the best then you suck/didn't watch/ don't understand :D It sounds so :dunno:

I have no idea what this means. But what I meant when I said "really watched the game" is that if you watched very carefully, not simply sat back and passively waited for players to jump out at you. If you watched the play developing, his positioning, and all the little things, you will see how good he is.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I haven't seen any of the games since they are not broadcasted in Sweden. But Hedman's stats are VERY impressive. I predicted in a previous thread that he should be dominating and it seems like I got it right this time. I'm not surprised though since he has been playing against men in the SEL for 2 years now.

BTW:I can't wait to see how good his younger brother Victor is going to turn out. He's born late 1990 and has debuted in the U20 league in Sweden already. The kid's 6'5 already and a great offensive threat!

Misos Milakos*

Kaizer said:

So why dont you explain to him what he doesn't understand smart guy.

Misos Milakos*

Chelios said:
I mentioned this in another thread and I thought I would post it here too to get some reaction. I would first like to say that yes I am a Blackhawk fan, but I would also like to say that I was never much of a Barker fan... until this tournement.

It still boggles my mind how little credit this guy gets, I don`t understand this attitude towards him. I wasn`t going to bother mentioning this, because I didn`t want to interrupt the big Bourdon lovefest, but to me Barker has been Canada`s best defenseman, if not the best in the tournement. Everyone keeps saying "Barker hasn`t impressed me", well then you can`t be looking very hard. Barker isn`t one of those players like Bourdon and Phaneuf that are going to jump out and impress you, but if you really watch his game, he is exceptional. I really like Bourdon, but if you watch the game closely he makes quite a few mistakes, often as a result of trying to do too much, this isn`t the case with Barker. Defensively Barker reads the play almost on another level, his defense is excellent even though he doesn`t hit too often (which I really hope he starts since he has the size and strength), his positioning is also very good and his break out passes are perfect. He rarely gets caught up the ice, almost never overcommits himself, and controls the gap well. Offensively, again, his vision sets him apart from almost any other defenseman in this tournement, his wrist shot from the point is one of the best I have ever seen , he controls the puck better than any defenseman in the tournement, and his passes are deadly accurate.

To all of you who have not been impressed with Barker, I challenge you to watch him closely next game and I guarentee you will be impressed.

Agreed, he has been much better than many around here claim to be, and deserving of more credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad