Top-60 Pre-Merger Players Of All Time: Round 2, Vote 6

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Procedure
  • You will be presented with ~15 players based on their ranking in the Round 1 aggregate list
  • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
  • You will submit ten names in a ranked order, #1 through #10, without ties via PM to @seventieslord & @rmartin65
  • Use the same private message thread every week rather than starting a new PM
  • Results of this vote will be posted after each voting cycle, but the individual ballots themselves will remain secret until the completion of this project
  • The top-5 players will be added to The List (unless a very large break exists at the spot between 4&5 or 5&6, OR to correct for the previous week's irregular number of added players)
  • Lists of players eligible for voting will grow as the project continues

Eligible Voters

Guidelines
  • Respect each other. No horseplay or sophistry!
  • Stay on topic and don't get caught up in talking about non-eligible players
  • Participate, but retain an open mind throughout the discussion
  • Do not speculate who cast any particular ballot. Do not make judgments about the mindset of whoever cast that particular ballot. All individual ballots will be revealed at the end of the project.

House Rules
  • Any attempts to derail a discussion thread with disrespect to old-time hockey (or older-than-old-time hockey) will be met with frontier justice
  • We encourage interpositional discussion (forward vs. defenseman vs. goaltender) as opposed to the safer and somewhat redundant intrapositional debates
  • Take a drink when someone mentions the number of hockey registrations in a given era
  • Finish your drink when someone mentions that goaltenders cannot be compared to skaters

The actual voting period will open up on Friday, March 10th at midnight and continue through Sunday, March 12th at 8:59pm. Eastern time zone. I will release the results of the vote on Monday, March 13th.

Vote 2 Candidates
  • Art Ross
  • Bernie Morris
  • Dan Bain
  • Didier Pitre
  • Ernie Russell
  • Frank Patrick
  • George Hay
  • Hap Holmes
  • Herb Gardiner
  • Jack Walker
  • Joe Hall
  • Joe Simpson
  • Percy LeSueur
  • Punch Broadbent
  • Reg Noble
  • Tommy Dunderdale
  • Tommy Smith

Reactions: rmartin65

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
I’m looking forward to learning a lot more about Bain this week. He’s someone I think I was a bit low on in my initial list.

To kick things off, I will re-post Bain's chapter from my book "Golden Boys: The Top 50 Manitoba Hockey Players of All Time".

1678228146901.png

Dan Bain is the one and only player on this Manitoba Top 50 list that was a part of the extreme primitive years of the sport. To this day, Dan and his Winnipeg Victorias are still the most successful hockey team in Manitoba history, winning three Stanley Cup's in 1896, 1901 and 1902. The very muscular Bain was the star player for all three Cup wins, providing scoring, playmaking and a physical presence. Most importantly he was blessed with natural leadership qualities that helped guide his troops to the Cup.

Winnipeg played such a big role in hockey history, being the first Western city to have success in a sport that had previously been dominated solely by the east. And Dan Bain was at the centre of it all.

A hockey player, figure skater, roller skater, cyclist, gymnast, and trap shooter all rolled into one, Dan Bain is without a doubt one of Canada's greatest all-time athletes despite playing only as an amateur, never turning pro.

At 6'0'', 185 lbs, Bain was considered a very big man for his day and it helped make him one of the finest playmakers of the pre-NHL era. Bain's out-of-this-world sporting career was recognized when he was selected as Canada's most outstanding athlete of the last half of the 19th century.

Donald Henderson (Dan) Bain was born in Belleville, Ontario on August 15th 1874. He moved to Winnipeg with his family at the age of six. The second-youngest of seven children, Bain grew up in a nice two-storey house at 168 Fort Street and attended a nearby public school. He later earned a baccalaureate degree from Manitoba College, a Presbyterian institution that was situated near where the University of Winnipeg stands today.

Bain's athletic prowess was first put on display in 1887 at the age of thirteen when he won the Manitoba provincial roller skating championship. Four years later, he was named Manitoba's all-around gymnastics champion. Dan cycled as well competitively and won the provincial racing crown in three straight years (1894-1896). In 1903, Bain travelled to Toronto where he won the Canadian Trapshooting title. He was also an active lacrosse player and golfer, but

Bain's best-known sporting achievements come from hockey.

When the sport of hockey was introduced from out east, Bain was eager to learn the game. He joined the Winnipeg Victorias after reading an ad in a local newspaper soliciting new players and ended up playing eight seasons for them, including three as team captain, becoming one of hockey's greatest players in the process. Dan played Centre for the Victorias' team that won Stanley Cup's in 1896, 1901 and 1902.
It all started while Dan and his Winnipeg Victorias were touring Montreal, they visited the Montreal Victorias clubhouse and saw their trophy case that held this particular piece of silverware called the Stanley Cup. It caught everyone's eye. They hadn't heard of it before and when they found out that any team could challenge for the Cup, they became very interested.

On this eastern tour, Winnipeg was given the title 'Champions of Canada,' because they beat everybody they played. At the start of the 1895-96 season, there was talk of the Winnipeg team wanting to challenge for the Stanley Cup. This didn't go down well with most eastern folk, notably the Montreal contingent.

The success of the Victorias eastern tour had shown that a Manitoba association team should have every right to compete for the Canadian championship. The Manitoba Hockey Association secretary, Mr. Code, sent a letter suggesting the winner of the eastern association should play the winner of the Manitoba association. They eagerly waited for a reply, but nothing came. The Vics' who were showered with praise during the previous season, were not basically being given the cold shoulder.

All this waiting only helped fuel the Winnipeg Victorias' passion to challenge for the Cup. Eventually they sent an official challenge for the Stanley Cup to its trustees, Sheriff Sweetland and P.D. Ross. A western team had never challenged for the Cup before, so they were entering unchartered territory.
When the Victorias made the challenge they had no idea if they would be given the chance to playoff for the Cup. The decision was solely given to the Cup trustees. The Winnipeg club had requested a best-of-three series against the champion Montreal Victorias because of the fact that if they were going to travel all the way to Montreal, they should at least play more than one game.

At that time however the Stanley Cup challenge was decided by one game, and when the trustees finally accepted Winnipeg's challenge, they sided with Montreal in having a one game playoff for the Cup as opposed to the best-of-three series that Winnipeg had proposed.
"The Victorias of Winnipeg realize that they will have their work cut out to win the Cup," wrote the Manitoba Free Press, "but will be in fine condition by the date of the game."

Feburary 14th 1896 was the date of the match at the Victoria Skating Rink and Winnipeg arrived in town by train. The game began and Winnipeg led 2-0 at the halfway point of the game thanks to goals by Dan Bain and Colin Campbell. They proceeded to play defensive all throughout the second half of the game and won 2-0, with Bain being credited with the Cup winning goal.

"The battle was a fierce one, and the victory hovered long over the heads of the contestants before she decided to settle finally on the banners of the men from the west," wrote the Winnipeg Tribune. "This was the first time the eastern men had to submit to a defeat at the hands of comparative babies in the art of hockey, and yet it was not only a defeat, but a complete whitewash."

Winnipeg wasn't even viewed as a threat going into the match.

"(Montreal) acknowledged that the westerners would put up a very good game, but they would not take the Cup with them back to Winnipeg," wrote the Tribune. "The Montrealers went to bed lonely, sadder and wiser men."

Fellow hockey author Richard Brignall writes that, "Not only did the Montreal team lose the Stanley Cup, but people also lost all the bets they made on them. It was popular to gamble on sports at this time. The people of Montreal put their money on a hometown victory. They all went home with empty pocketbooks. The Winnipeg contingent on the other hand had enough money to start a private bank. They put all their money on the Winnipeg seven. Their gamble paid off. No less than $2,000 in Winnipeg winnings were passed over Montreal's Windsor Hotel counter after the Stanley Cup match."
Goaltender Whitey Merritt was the first to return home from Montreal and he had to bring with him a description of what the Cup looked like since Montreal wouldn't let the Victorias take it back with them. "The Stanley Cup is in the form of a punch bowl," said Merritt. "It is of sterling silver and has about a two gallon capacity."

When the rest of the players returned to Winnipeg they were pulled on sleighs through the city by their adoring fans. The Stanley Cup victory was unfortunately short-lived as Montreal came to Winnipeg in December of 1896 and defeated Bain's Vics'.

In 1899, Winnipeg challenged Montreal again and this time they played a two-game total goals series. Montreal won game one 2-1. Bain injured his eye during the game and was forced to miss the second game due to haemorrhaging behind the eye.

The second game wasn't completed due to a major controversy that arose. Winnipeg had always maintained a strict level of professionalism and class at all times so when one of Montreal's players violently slashed Winnipeg's Tony Gingras and the Montreal player was only given a two minute penalty despite Gingras being carried off the ice, Winnipeg left the ice in protest and headed to their dressing room. Referee Bill Findlay felt insulted and abruptly left the arena to go home, but returned after officials followed him on a sleigh and convinced him to come back. Once back at the rink, Findlay gave Winnipeg fifteen minutes to return to the ice to finish the game. Winnipeg refused and thus Findlay disqualified them and awarded Montreal as winners of the Stanley Cup.

Winnipeg got back in the winner's circle in 1901 when they challenged and defeated the powerhouse Montreal Shamrocks in two straight games. On January 31st 1901, the Winnipeg Victorias and Montreal Shamrocks played the first overtime game in Stanley Cup history. Despite wearing a rudimentary wooden mask to protect a broken nose, Bain scored the winning goal in overtime to give the Victorias a 2-1 win and more importantly the Stanley Cup.

Bain scored three goals in the two games for Winnipeg.

The Victorias won their third Stanley Cup when they defended it in January of 1902 in a two-game series from the upstart Toronto Wellingtons. Just two months later, Winnipeg met the Montreal Athletic Amateur Association, winners of the first-ever Stanley Cup challenge in 1893 in a best-of-three series. Winnipeg won the first game, but fell in back-to-back games to give the Cup back to Montreal. In the newspapers, Bain was heralded as the best player on the ice throughout the series.

Bain retired shortly after losing the Cup in early 1902. He finished with 10 goals in 11 Stanley Cup challenge games and 66 goals in 27 Manitoba league games, leading the league on three occasions. He was only 28 years old so it's under speculation why he quit when entering what should have been the prime of his career. Goldsborough writes, "It is possible the demands of his growing business interests required greater attention, or he might have simply wanted to retire before the inevitable decline. A curious but unsubstantiated rumour passed down by the Bain family is that he quit after a grisly accident caused by a flying puck."

He stayed in the game as the Honorary President and Coach of the Winnipeg Victorias well into the 1910's. Bain stopped playing team sports, but continued to skate for many years. In 1930 at the age of 56 he won the Canadian figure skating championship in the pairs competition. He continued to appear in pairs exhibition performances until the age of 70.

Manitoba historian Gordon Goldsborough writes that, "Bain was a resolute amateur, and as he grew older, he was increasingly vocal that the quality of hockey play had deteriorated as the game was taken over by professionals lacking stamina and skill. Bain derided the use of protective equipment; in his day, players wore nothing but skates and a uniform. During Bain's playing career, the team played the entire game without substitution, in marked contrast to regular shift changes that characterize modern hockey."

After hockey, Bain became a prominent Winnipeg entrepreneur and businessman. As the President of Donald H. Bain Limited, a grocery brokerage firm with offices across Canada, Dan became very successful in his professional life and amassed a substantial fortune. In 1906, shortly after his father's death, Dan bought the three-storey Waghorn House at 69 East Gate in the reclusive Armstrong's Point neighbourhood of Winnipeg. In 1932, he constructed Mallard Lodge as a retreat for hunting and relaxation on his large property on the Delta Marsh at Lake Manitoba. He spent lots of time there over the years, surrounded by his cherished curly-coated retrievers. He also built a hunting lodge and farm at Grosse Isle.

Dan was one of the first automobile enthusiasts in Western Canada, owning thirteen vehicles at one point, among which were a bunch of fancy British sports models. Bain also helped found the original Winnipeg Winter Club. A life-long bachelor, Dan used to tell people that to be successful in life, you needed to avoid three things women, liquor, and politics.

In 1948, Bain became the first amateur player and one of the first Western Canadian players to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He was elected posthumously to the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 1971.

Dan Bain died in his Winnipeg home at 69 East Gate on August 15th 1962. He was 88 years old and left behind an estate valued at just over one million dollars (eight million today). A lifelong bachelor as noted earlier, Bain left almost all of his fortune to various charities and former employees, with the remainder being given to relatives and friends.

Throughout his later life, Bain always proclaimed that the time that he played hockey was the best the sport has ever been: "Those were the days of real athletes," Bain recalled. "When we passed the puck never left the ice and if the wingman wasn't there to receive it, it was because he had a broken leg."

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Seventies' VsX equivalents for eligible forwards:

player3y5y7y10y
Pitre97877870
Hay84797467
Noble74716759
Walker69615752
Dunderdale94857871
Morris94898267
Broadbent
77​
66​
60​
53​
Russell
89​
78​
69​
51​
Smith
103​
97​
88​

You know, it's weird, Pitre and Russell really feel like they're from completely different generations. And if they are, my instinct would be to give Russell way more credit for being one of the few sustained dominant scorers of his time, compared to Pitre being a face in the crowded 1910s field. But they were born in the same year!! I don't see how anyone could put Russell ahead of Pitre. He has the peak, longevity, star power, versatility and there are no era-related considerations working against him.

Tommy Smith looks exceptional as a scorer here. He has the highest score in every category. He's a poor man's Joe Malone, isn't he? Now, was he a player with substance, or a one-dimensional, bad-team scorer? If there was any substance to him at all, then what case would a player like Dunderdale, or even Morris, have over him?

Offensively, Broadbent looks like a Jack Walker who exploded one season. Give him an 85 score in his 1922 season (instead of 110) and his scores would be 69-61-57-51. So it certainly seems to me that Walker was a better player than Broadbent most of the time, but lacked the upside that Broadbent had in order to have that hot streak. Throw in that he's better defensively and it should be a slam dunk for him.

Anything else jump out at you?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Bain doesn't make my list because the manitoba leagues aren't in my spreadsheet. They should be, though. Bain was an exceptional player in his era and I don't think there's any question that he outshone this entire field in star power and dominance in one's own era. Only thing holding him back should be questions about earlier hockey. But I expect to rank him this round, and probably high.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ross and Bain are the only two remaining eligible names to be inducted in 1947, i.e. the first year living players got inducted.

Ross can be partially attributed to his role as coach and manager. Bain stands as this Goliath star name that is basically viewed as the best western Canada player by a wide margin until Fredrickson comes along.

Pitre seems like an easy #1 this round.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I'm sorry, I had to double check the Russell/Pitre birthdates- that's absolutely wild, and what's also crazy is that Pitre is actually a month and a half older than Russell (September 1st vs October 21st). I would have bet real money that Russell was older by several years based on when they peaked.

Quick hits-

Art Ross- he's a very strong candidate, in my opinion. Good peak, good career length, won championships, star power, he had it all. Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't make it last round.

Bernie Morris- he was one of the big climbers for me last round. Not much outside of offense, but it is some mighty fine offense.

Dan Bain- I'm going to need to do some research/reading here. He's the player I'm the most excited about delving into this week, because I don't think I know very much about him at all except for that he dominated a weak league in the amateur era. That said- weak league or not, he managed to win the Cup.

Pitre- long career, better peak than I thought. Had a lot of star power.

Ernie Russell- I'm not his biggest fan. Offense looks good, but that's all he has; he was apparently so bad defensively that his team sat him in a crucial game, and he was subbed out at half time (officially an injury, but it reads differently) in another championship game.

Frank Patrick- I believe @ResilientBeast once opined that he was more talented than Lester, but he had a shorter/less full career. He was really good at point for the Wanderers in 1908, right up there with Art Ross for best at the position, IMO.

Hay- doesn't have the offense that a guy like Russell, Morris, or Smith have, but his defensive game was much better. Star power seems better than that of the other guys mentioned.

Holmes- I think we all know his pluses and minuses by now. Is the 4th (?) best goalie of his time better than the first or second best of another era? I'm not sure.

Gardiner- I just don't see it. I'd love to read a case for him, though.

Walker- probably the second best defensive forward we'll add this project, right? Offense looks pretty weak, but he played on a lot of winners, so he must have been doing something right.

Hall- one of the bad men in a rough time, and another multi-positional player. I don't think his peak was as high as some others eligible, but he had a long career for the era. He also had a certain level of star power, though whether that was due to his talent or his violence is up to debate I guess (likely a combination of both).

Simpson- high peak, short career. Star power is there. He's one of the guys I'm hoping to see discussion about.

LeSueur- 1st or 2nd best goalie of his time, star power, post-career recognition, etc. He's pretty high on my list at the moment.

Noble- another multi-positional guy. I need to do some reading.

Dunderdale- one of our all offense/no defense guys

Smith- I'm not sure he was the best of the brothers Smith. There, I said it. There is no denying his offensive resume, though. Long career, but, man, did he ever bounce around teams. Was he that in-demand, or did his teams decide they could win without him?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Tommy Smith, of the newcomers, was the highest on my original list, though in retrospect I think I had him a touch too high. I was aware of his defensive shortcomings before, but I honestly think he might be the least impactful defensively of the great forwards of his time. Nobody gets more press for a lack of back-checking - or sarcastic press when he does actually back-check - as Tommy.

He also declined pretty quickly, and it's not entirely clear, from what I can find, as to what caused it. It looks like he spent 15-16 centering Malone and Crawford in Quebec, to his usual goal-getting success, but sometime in late February to early March he slowed down, began being used as a sub... and was never an elite player again. No mentions of any injury, either. Strange player.

Iain Fyffe wrote that he was probably better than Joe Malone on the Cup-winning Bulldogs teams, but I just can't see it. Smith was used as a winger during that time to cover for his defensive shortcomings at centre, which puts his gaudy offensive numbers over Malone into a different context.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Simpson- high peak, short career. Star power is there. He's one of the guys I'm hoping to see discussion about.

Star power is definitely there, but I'd like to challenge the short career part. I mentioned this briefly when Frank Frederickson was up for voting, but for me, when a player is immediately good when they first turn professional (and make no mistake, Bullet Joe was immediately good) it warrants a look back to see what the story was beforehand.

This is a player who didn't turn professional until he turned 28, but had played lots of meaningful hockey up to that point. It's not like, say, Herb Gardiner, who basically didn't do anything at all until he joined the Big-4, and thus can't really be given any retroactive credit. Simpson ascended quickly in Winnipeg and by 1916 was likely head and shoulders above everybody else in the province except for Dick Irvin, which is a group that includes the aforementioned Frederickson, and George Hay, who, granted, was just a teenager at that point, though was already quite good.

Then you've got the whole 'missing years of his prime due to a war' thing that was obviously out of his control, unless he wanted to dodge the draft like Bernie Morris. IMO, using longevity against Joe Simpson is missing the bigger picture, though I understand if somebody is wary of how much to account for amateur hockey in a time of professionalism. I'm skeptical of it myself, but as I said, when a player is that good, that quickly... gotta dig deeper, and there's lots of reason to think Simpson was already a star years before the WCHL.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Star power is definitely there, but I'd like to challenge the short career part. I mentioned this briefly when Frank Frederickson was up for voting, but for me, when a player is immediately good when they first turn professional (and make no mistake, Bullet Joe was immediately good) it warrants a look back to see what the story was beforehand.

This is a player who didn't turn professional until he turned 28, but had played lots of meaningful hockey up to that point. It's not like, say, Herb Gardiner, who basically didn't do anything at all until he joined the Big-4, and thus can't really be given any retroactive credit. Simpson ascended quickly in Winnipeg and by 1916 was likely head and shoulders above everybody else in the province except for Dick Irvin, which is a group that includes the aforementioned Frederickson, and George Hay, who, granted, was just a teenager at that point, though was already quite good.

Then you've got the whole 'missing years of his prime due to a war' thing that was obviously out of his control, unless he wanted to dodge the draft like Bernie Morris. IMO, using longevity against Joe Simpson is missing the bigger picture, though I understand if somebody is wary of how much to account for amateur hockey in a time of professionalism. I'm skeptical of it myself, but as I said, when a player is that good, that quickly... gotta dig deeper, and there's lots of reason to think Simpson was already a star years before the WCHL.

I agree, Simpson’s amateur years should be considered.

One other point I would add is that Manitoba amateur hockey from 1910-1920 was a golden age of talent. Manitoba teams won 6 Allan Cups in the decade, and many of those players went on to successful professional careers in the 1920s once the Big 4 and WCHL came calling. In fact, that generation of Manitoba players made a significant impact on the post-consolidation NHL, even though many of them were getting up there in age. So Simpson’s amateur hockey was very high quality for amateur hockey, with a number of pro-quality players.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
I agree, Simpson’s amateur years should be considered.

One other point I would add is that Manitoba amateur hockey from 1910-1920 was a golden age of talent. Manitoba teams won 6 Allan Cups in the decade, and many of those players went on to successful professional careers in the 1920s once the Big 4 and WCHL came calling. In fact, that generation of Manitoba players made a significant impact on the post-consolidation NHL, even though many of them were getting up there in age. So Simpson’s amateur hockey was very high quality for amateur hockey, with a number of pro-quality players.

Couldn't agree more with this. Manitoba's amateur hockey from 1910-1920 was indeed a golden age of talent. Many Hockey Hall of Famers were playing in these local leagues at this time and the quality of hockey was extremely high.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
How strong was Manitoba's league play compared to the East? That's a big factor for me when determining where to vote for Bain. If a weaker league can win the Cup because of him that's a big boon.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
How strong was Manitoba's league play compared to the East? That's a big factor for me when determining where to vote for Bain. If a weaker league can win the Cup because of him that's a big boon.

Some would say the East was stronger and some would say the West was king. Regardless how you cut it, the Winnipeg Victorias were a mini-Dynasty team of the late 1890s and early 1900s that won three Stanley Cups and consistently took down the top teams of the East in doing so.

Dan Bain was the star player and top scorer of these Winnipeg Victorias teams.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
In an effort to get better educated on Bain, I've just finished going through the SC Challenge games that the Winnipeg Victorias played while Bain was with them (I think I got them all; someone correct me if I missed something). I'm still digesting all the information, but here are the scoring tables (to the best I have been able to put them together) and quotes from the matches-

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Victorias, 14 February 1896
A Winnipeg paper wrote: “McDougall got the puck for nearly the only time in the match”

“To make up for Bain [who was off with a penalty- which was frequent this game]] the Winnipeg forwards had to consider themselves like Roman legionaries, equal to 10 eastern barbarians”

“Here Flett and Merritt were simply superb, and they turned the repeated rushes of Montreal like a stone wall. Hot ones were fairly rained on Merritt at times, but he stopped them all. To the defence belong the credit of the victory.

Quoting a Toronto-Montreal special- ‘In the first half the Winnipeg men played decidedly the better game, and succeeded in getting past Jones twice. This was principally due to the poor play of the Montreal team’s defence and the erratic work of Grant. The playing of the Winnipeg goal keeper was simply phenomenal, especially in the second half”

A Montreal paper reported: “In goal Merritt was a phenom; their whole defence was superb, and their forward division worked like lightning, had excellent combination, and shot with fatal accuracy. On the other hand, the Montreal defence was weak in the first half, Grant particularly so. In fact it was his dallying with the puck, when he could have lifted it, that is more than indirectly responsible for the loss of the match”

“Davidson was splendid; Flett and Armitage showed great combination tactics, and Howard showed himself a hard checker”

“Hartland McDougall was a great improvement at every point and played a fine game”

“It was all due to the great work of Merritt”

Another Montreal paper noted: “As for the goal-keeper [Merritt], if we may be pardoned slang, he is a ‘corker’. The Winnipeg goal might as well have been boarded up. There was no shot too difficult for Merritt to stop. His splendid play was a feature. Higginbotham, the point, played a remarkably steady game. Of the forwards, Campbell, Bain and Armytage did the work. Howard has fallen off since his last visit to Montreal”

“Shirley Davidson played the game for the home team; he was the life of the forward line, and never let up a moment. Bob McDougall was a disappointment, but it is hardly his fault, he has not had very much practice. McLea played a fair game; at the end of the first half his eye was injured and he had to retire, being replaced by Hartland McDougall, who played a splendid game at cover pont. Henderson’s work at point was effective, and Jones played well between the poles”

Score: 2-0 Winnipeg Victorias

Rosters
Winnipeg: Merritt in goal, Flett at point, Higginbotham at cover, Armytage, Howard, Bain, and Campbell at forward

Montreal: Jones in goal, Henderson at point, Grant at cover, McDougall, Wallace, McLea, and Davidson at forward

TeamGoal ScorerAssistAssist
WinnipegArmytage or BainPossibly Howard
Possibly Bain
N/A
WinnipegCampbellN/AN/A

Montreal Victorias vs Winnipeg Victorias, 30 December 1896
A Winnipeg paper wrote: “... Grant obtained, and gave a fine show o what some cover points were capable of doing”

“Gordon Lewis, the goal-keeper, is a man Montreal may well be proud of, and the Victoria hockey club be happy in the possession of. He is certainly a splendid custodian, as his work last night clearly proved. He had many shots to stop, and he acquitted himself in such a manner that nothing else can be said but that he did his duty well. He is a very rapid clearer and does not allow the puck to linger very long in the vicinity of his posts; and he is very creditable on the lift. Henderson at point was all that could be desired. He was always to be seen on the right spot and at the right time when wanted. Captain Grant as cover-point could not be improved upon. In those meteoric flashes of his last night, he doubtless caused many to think of poor ‘Higgy’ and how he used to shine along those same lines. As a check he was of immense value to his team, not that he used any great roughness, but he used his body wisely. He was ever strong when lifting and his play right throughout the game was most praiseworthy. It is an old saying that ‘comparisons are odious’, but aside from that it would be unwise to single out any player of the Montreal forward line of last night and say he played the best of them all. They are a quartette of brilliant stick handlebars, and skillful manipulators of the puck. They are splendid skaters and individually and as a combination they were greatly admired last night. Then there is not one man among them who is not a good shot on goal. They were as quick as steel traps to take every chance which offered itself to them on the ice during the match”

“That the number of goals which the Winnipegs were defeated by was not larger is owing to the brilliant defence game put up by Merritt and Flett. Merritt was a grand goal keeper. Some of the shots he stopped were simply marvellous. He has certainly not lost his reputation because he played on a losing side, but he has added to it, for he stopped every shot that it was possible for a mortal to stop. ‘Roddy’ Flett, as point, has not a peer in Canada. He played the star game of the team last night, his work throughout the whole game was almost perfect. He was indefatigable in his efforts. He was here, there and everywhere, and always there when wanted first. He stopped many a deadly rush on goal last night, and spoilt many a combine. He was not caught napping at any stage of the game, and when he was called upon to fill cover point position, he was of inestimable value to the forward rank while playing in that position. Charlie Hohnston did not play the game that was looked for from him. He was not sure at any point o the game, although he did some excellent work at times. Of the forwards what can be said, but that they played there best game they could and it was nearly as good as the Montrealers, but not quite. Armytage worked like a Trojan and not till the finish of the game did he acknowledge defeat. Howard was as true on the goal as ever, and he caused Lewis, the Montreal goal keeper, not a little uneasiness. He undoubtedly lost one goal last night by some means or other. Bain and Campbell both played hard, conscientious hockey”

“Gordon Lewis, who plays goal this year for the Victorias, has not been seen on the team for the past three years. He was born in Montreal 23 years ago, is 5 ft. 9 in. in height and weighs 156 pounds… Three years ago he won on the senior team, but in the following football season, while playing with the Montreal club, he was unfortunate enough to have his left knee cap broken. This of course laid him up very effectually… It was a surprise to many to see him don the maroon jersey again this year, but his old record as a star goalkeeper and the work he has done in practice this year, fully justifies his selection by the committee. It is not only that he is exceedingly sure in stopping, but he is quick at returning and the work that he has done behind the flags has at times been phenomenal”

“D. Howard Henderson, who plays at point, is the tallest man on the team, going a quarter inch of the six foot mark. He is also a Montrealer by birth. He is 21 years of age and weighs in condition 150 lbs… His height is of course greatly to his advantage in the position he holds. He is an excellent skater and is utterly fearless of the biggest man or the strongest rush. At lifting he is an adept and he needs very little room or time in which to lift. He is decidedly one of the best men on the team”

“Captain Michael Grant is undoubtedly one of the best known hockey players in eastern Canada. Among the younger generation of players in Montreal his has been a name to conjure by. He was born in Montreal in 1874, stands 5 ft, 10 in. in height and tips the scale at 170… Captain Grant is undoubtedly a tower of strength to his team. His keener critics said that last year was an "off" year with him, but, whether that be so or not his work this season has been fully up to his old standard. He has body enough and pluck enough to stop any rush and is himself quick to take the aggressive when the occasion offers. As a captain he has few superiors for he is cool, even to a fault, and knowing his men thoroughly he is well aware of their capabilities at all times”

“Shirley Davidson, who is considered by many to be the bright particular star of the Victorias’ forward line, comes from good athletic stock… The subject of this sketch was born in Montreal in 1875. He is 5 ft. 6 in. in height and weighs 150 pounds. At a casual glance it would not be thought that he was so heavy a man, but he ‘strips’ well and is always in the pink…. For the past four years he has figured on the seniors, and it can be honestly said that he has not played a poor game in all that time. When his play was varied it has simply been more brilliant on some occasions than on others. He is an exceedingly rapid skate, dodges well, has perfect control of the puck and shoots with accuracy and swiftness. He is an adept in breaking his opponents combinations, the one point in which his fellow forwards are most decidedly weak.”

“Graham Drinkwater’s athletic career runs in exactly a similar groove to that of Davidson. He is just the same age, though he is 5:10 ½ in height and weighs 164 pounds… He, too, is a swift skater, and good stick handler, and his work in combination with Davidson and McDougall has won him any amount of praise in the past”

“Bob McDougall, another Montrealer born, is only 20 years of age. He is 5 feet 6 ½ inches and weighs 158 pounds… but in the meantime he is putting up just such a game of hockey as the gods delight to see. He is quick as a flash, and is very sure footed. His shooting is accurate and he perhaps scores more often in a season than any man on the Victoria team. He has played for three years with the seniors, and has always retained his place on the team”

“Hartland McDougall is no relation to Bob… He is 20 years of age, 5 ft. 10 ½ in. in height, and weighs 158 pounds. He has generally played defence, having occupied the goal one season and played cover point for a portion of another. He is a ‘general utility man’, for he has several times played more than an ordinarily good game on the forward line, but on the whole his hockey is not up to the same standard as that of the others. He is a fast skater, and a hard all round player, but is not a strong stick handler”

“Ernest H. McLea, a Montrealer by birth, is 20 years of age, 5 ft. 10 in. in height and weighs 149 pounds…He plays with a vim and dash, but of necessity he lacks the experience of the others on the forward line. He is certainly indefatigable, and as he would cheerfully tackle a runaway freight train on a downgrade he is particularly useful in breaking up opposing combinations”

“Dave Gillelan is 24 years of age, 5 ft. 8 ½ in. in height and weighs 155 pounds… He is a strong aggressive forward through his passing is not at all times as accurate as might be desired”

“W.C. Young, of the Ottawa Amatuer Athletic Club, who has been chosen by the trustees of the Stanley cup to referee the match, is one of the best known athletes in Ontario or Quebec”

A Montreal paper wrote: “Davidson’s head work was much admired”

“McDougall made the star run of the match”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Mike Grant distinguished himself more than any other individual on the montreal team, and great credit is due him or his splendid work. He was a mountain of strength. Time and again did he take the puck from end to end of the rink, and that he did not score was not his fault, but the brilliant play of Merritt, the goal keeper. Grant played the game of his life”

The player profiles quoted earlier are written here as well, slightly modified. The only change of interest is in the Grant portion; “Eastern Canada probably does not contain a better hockey player than Captain Michael Grant. Captain Grant was born in 1874, stands 5 ft. 10 in. in height, and tips the scales at 170”

“MacDougall of Montreal is playing a star game”

“Merritt, Flett, and Armytage are playing great game for Winnipeg”

Final Score: 6-5 Montreal Victorias

Rosters
Montreal: Lewis in goal, Henderson at point, Grant at cover, McDougall at center or rover, McLea at center or rover, Drinkwater at LW, and Davidson at RW

Winnipeg: Merritt in goal, Flett at point, Johnston at cover, Armytage at center or rover, Bain at center or rover, Campbell at LW, and Howard at RW

WinnipegBainCampbellN/A
WinnipegCampbell or ArmytageHowardN/A
WinnipegHowardArmytageN/A
MontrealMcLeaN/AN/A
MontrealDavidsonDrinkwaterN/A
WinnipegHowardBainN/A
MontrealDavidsonN/AN/A
MontrealMcLeaN/AN/A
MontrealMcDougall or DrinkwaterN/AN/A
WinnipegBainCampbellN/A
MontrealMcLeaDrinkwaterN/A

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Victorias, 15 February 1899
A Winnipeg paper wrote: “Armytage played in his old time form and filled Bain’s place in great style. Whitey, Johnstone, and Benson are a defence to be proud of and no better ever played in Montreal”

“Drinkwater has just made one of his famous rushes”

“Out o the bunch came Bain and brought the puck out with tremendous cheering, and after a wide shot, the puck rebounded in front and Winnipeg scored the first game”

“Davidson was making one of his famous rushes…”

“Bain received a second warning. He is playing a great game”

“Benson is Flett’s equal”

A Montreal paper reported: “Gingras and Bain, in particular, got over the ice in superb style, and usually got the puck whenever they went after it”

Another Montreal paper noted: “It was well for Winnipeg that their goal tend, Merritt, is one of no ordinary merit!”

“Both teams’ defences were strong, but the Montreal Victorias’ showed up to better advantage owing to the ability of Grant and Drinkwater to go down the ice whenever there was an opening”

“Bain did some wonderful sprinting, and he always managed to get back after the puck when it went toward his own goals”

“The Montreal VIctorias defence was in great trim and the manner in which Grant and Drinkwater played was wonderful. Grant was in fine form and played the very game of his life, while Drinkwater surpassed himself”

“One man was looked after in great style, and that was Bob Macdougall. Whenever Macdougall got into the vicinity of the Winnipeg goal, something happened that spoiled his chances. He was either sandwiched, or bodied, or his stick went flying into space, but whatever it was he got but slight chance to distinguish himself. But for all that he managed to be on hand at all times and got around in time to score one of the goals. Dr. Davidson did some rattling good work and had the misfortune to receive a nasty crack in the nose early in the match which necessitated his absence for a few minutes for repair. But he stayed at the game and his work was very evident at all times. Ernie McLea played what the boys would call ‘a horse of a game’. He was after the puck every moment and his checking was rather worrying to his cover. Bowie did some clever work and his stick handling was one of the many features of the match. He took some pretty desperate chances in getting between the side of the rink and his opponent, but he generally managed to slip by”

“The star of the Winnipeg forward line was Bain. He played a splendid game and the Winnipeg men say that i he had been on the ice in the last few minutes the Montrealers would not have scored”

“He [Bain] was replaced by Armytage, who is a pretty good man, but he is not Bain by any means. Gingras on the right wing is a good hard worker and Campbell on the other wing is every bit as good as any other wing man. Howard, the rover, played a fine game and his shooting was better than that of any of his fellow forwards”

Final Score: 2-1 Montreal Victorias

Rosters
Winnipeg: Merritt in goal, Benson at point, Johnstone at cover, Bain (injured in second half, replaced by Armytage), Howard, Campbell, and Gingras at forward

Montreal: Lewis in goal, Drinkwater at point, Grant at cover, Cam Davidson, McLea, McDougall, and Bowie at forward

WinnipegGingras or BainMaybe BainPossibly Howard
MontrealMcDougallDavidsonN/A
MontrealDrinkwaterN/AN/A

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Victorias, 18 February 1899
The infamous game where McDougall slashed Gingras. 7000 people reportedly watched this one.

A Winnipeg paper wrote: “The Winnipeggers, despite the absence of Bain, their star forward man, had decidedly the advantage in the first half:

“The Montreal forwards, with the exception of Davidson, who did most of the playing that was done on the Montreal team, were slow and missed many opportunities”

A Montreal paper noted: “At the start the home team again had a spell of defence work, young Davidson being the only man keen on the puck”

Another Montreal paper reported: “Bain’s absence was a big handicap to them”

Final Score: 3-2 Montreal

Rosters
Winnipeg: Merritt in goal, Benson at point, Johnstone at cover, Gingras, Armytage, Howard, and Campbell at forward

Montreal: Lewis in goal, Drinkwater at point, Grant at cover, McLea, C. Davidson, McDougall, and Bowie at forward

WinnipegArmytage or GingrasHowardMaybe GIngras
WinnipegHoward or ArmytageN/AN/A
MontrealDavidson or McDougallBowieN/A
MontrealBowieMcDougallN/A
MontrealMcDougallN/AN/A

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Shamrocks, 12 February 1900
A Winnipeg paper wrote: “The Shamrocks also got in some fast play and had it at the Winnipeg end when Bain got possession and went down the ice as only Bain can, and scored”

“Bain, who seems to be everywhere, relieved…”

Quoting the Montreal Herald- “Wall, at cover point, cool and collected, lifted the puck the length of the rink as if in a practice game where nothing was at stake. Tansey ably seconded him. McKenna, on the poles, at first had little to do, but that little he did well. Trihey, Brennen, Scnalan, and Farrell worked together almost as if they were parts of one machine”

“Charley Johnstone, at cover point, was a match for any forward, and kept feeding the puck to his forwards with a regularity and sureness which could not help but inspire the greatest confidence in the forwards”

Quoting The Mail: “Gingras’ play was the star feature of the match”

A Montreal paper reported: “And, on the other hand, the work of the Winnipeg forwards was so good that it would be a difficult matter to choose any of them out for special mentino. True, Bain was the king-pin of the lot, but there was not much to choose between him and Gingras, who played a game that will stand out prominently in the annals of this great game of ours”

“McKenna stopped some wonderful shots and saved some sure scores in remarkable style. Tansey and Wall played a splendid game and though both of them were sent to the fence for offences committed it was hardly surprising that in the great heat of the game either of them should have forgotten himself”

“Jack Brannan is easily Bain’s peer in speed, though he is not the same effective combination, where Bain will be yards in the rear and Brannen’s spurts last night were wonderful to behold. The Winnipeg men have a splendid stick handler in Gingras, but they have to deal with Trihey and there is Farrell to be taken into account. Arrell did some work on the ice last night that was wonderful”

“Dan Bain speedily became the favorite of the audience and his work all through was loudly applauded”

“Johnstone’s work at cover was good and the husky Winnipeg man created uite an impression by his style of play”

Final Score: 4-3 Winnipeg

Rosters
Winnipeg: Merritt in goal, Flett at cover, Johnstone at cover, Bain (center), Gingras (RW), Roxburgh (rover), and Campbell (LW) at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Trihey, Scanlan, Farrell, and Brennan at forward

ShamrocksScanlanN/AN/A
WinnipegBainN/AN/A
ShamrocksTriheyFarrellN/A
WinnipegCampbell or BainRoxburghN/A
WinnipegGingrasN/AN/A
WinnipegBainCampbellN/A
WinnipegTriheyN/AN/A

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Shamrocks, 14 February 1900
There is a play by play provided by the Winnipeg paper, and Bain is all over it. He sounds like a force in this one.

A Winnipeg paper reported: “Trihey was the star of the Shams, and on the other side Johnstone made a hero of himself, and his feat of scoring two goals from center ice is an unprecedented one in the annals of hockey, and will make his name in a household word among lovers of the game. Flett is also a marvel, and was time and again applauded for his neat, clean lifts and cool-headed work. The Winnipeg forward line did magnificent individual work, and the checking was close and desperately swift. The indefatigable Bain was several times on the point of scoring, and the impetuosity of his rushes was a feature of the play. Gingras did not make the sensational hits of the previous match but no man could do that twice. Roxburgh was more than once prevented from registering a score by the nearest margin, and Campbell got in a number of hot shots in his usual cool style”

“McKenna in goal and Tansey at point cover the net with surprising agility”

“At it again and in exactly one minute the greatest cover point in the world [referring to Johnstone] had the puck on centre ice and shot again with the same result. Another goal for the Pegs”

A Montreal paper wrote: “Captain Trihey out generaled Captain Bain”

“Then Shamrock appeared stronger. This was especially so with Farrell and Scanlan. The work these men performed, finishing strong and willing at that, would have prostrated ordinary men. Their pluck and gameness went a long way in the Shamrock’s success. At the outset Gingras’ speed and quick recovery bothered Scanlan, but later the gritty Shamrock wing, standing up under a continuous run of the hardest body work and checking any defence can administer to an overly aggressive forward, got his man in limbo. With the trying finish poor Gingras absolutely wilted and done was no match for the great little Irishman”

“Farrell’s work came early in the first half. Farrell cut a merry pace that made Campbell stand to right from the initial whistle. Unlike Scanlan Farrell had his man well in hand at all stages. He was the Shamrock’s wing work that counted last night, and Farrell and Scanlan did the work. In centre ice Captain Trihey’s superb stick handling will scarcely ever be equalled in championship again. His generalship though was the key note. In hard straight hockey Bain and Roxburgh last night lost nothing by contrast with Trihey’s and Brannen’s game- Brannen, perhaps, had a shafe the better of Roxburgh, and certainly gained territory on Wall’s lifts through his speed than did the Winnipeg man in following Johnstone’s and Flett’s relief pucks up the ice”

“Winnipeg’s defence in close, confined, haphazard work are unbeatable. Johnstone and Flett are the strongest and hardest pair ever standing before a hockey goal. It is different, though, in breaking up a forward system such as the Shamrock’s possess”

“Flett was tough and strong”

“Johnstone’s lifting was always off, Wall distancing him in this respect. Johnstone’s and lett’s excessive predilection for lifting was decidedly trying on the quartett in the line ahead. Wall’s lifting, on the other hand, was of the right king, judiciously employed, generally with his men hanged about Merritt’s flags”

“Tansey’s point game was a fin exhibition of brainy hockey. Both he and Wall brought the gypsum out time and again centering to their forwards with an [unclear] gain. Tansey’s blocking of Campbell’s surface pucks was a feature of the work behind either the Shamrock or Victoria lines”

Another Montreal paper noted: “Both Campbell and GIngras played a strong, effective game, but they had not the same opportunities as on Monday night, and there were not the same wide openings for them to go through. Both Scanlan and Farrell played a far superior game and Scan’s work was particularly good. He carried the puck out time after time, and went down the ice in great style, and had he been fortunate in his shooting there ought to have been some goals to his credit. Farrell did well, and when it is understood that he was suffering from a peculiar indisposition, the excellence of his work will be better appreciated. Jack Brannen’s speed was a great factor in the game, and his work was a vast improvement over his previous form. Harry Trihey showed cool generalship, and his work was in every way worthy of the leader of such a splendid team”

“Wall’s lifts and rushes and Tansey’s stops and rushes were features”

“McKenna’s work was just right”

“Their defence was good, and Johnston played a particularly good game. Flett seemed to have fallen off a bit, but ‘Whitey’ Merritt exhibited his usual skill”

Final Score: 3-2 Shamrocks

Rosters
Winnipeg: Merritt in goal, Flett at point, Johnstone at cover, Blain (rover), Campbell, Roxburgh (center), and Gingras at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Farrell, Scanlan, Trihey, and Brannen at forward

ShamrocksTriheyScanlanBrannen
WinnipegJohnstone or CampbellN/AN/A
WinnipegJohnstone or BainMaybe JohnstoneN/A
ShamrocksBrannen or TriheyFarrellN/A
ShamrocksTriheyScanlanN/A

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Shamrocks, 16 February 1900
A Winnipeg paper reported: “...the puck was faced at 8:32 between the sticks of the cyclonic Trihey and irrepressible Roxburgh”

“Bain is the greatest player on the ice, for he is doubly guarded, and keeps two of the Shamrocks humping to hold him down. Gingras makes his Napoleonic rushes with marvellous effect, while Roxburgh and Campbell simply set their teeth and keep going with the tireless pertinacity of devils”

A Montreal paper noted: “Johnstone and Flett are a splendid pair to have in front of a goal, and they stood off the Shamrock attacks as no other team has done”

Final Score: 5-4 Shamrocks

Rosters
Winnipeg: Merritt in goal, Flett at point, Johnstone at cover, Bain, Gingras, Campbell, and Roxburgh at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Tansey at point, Wall at cover, Trihey, Farrell, Scanlan, and Brannen at forward

ShamrocksTriheyWallN/A
WinnipegGingras or BainN/AN/A
WinnipegBainN/AN/A
ShamrocksTriheyFarrellN/A
ShamrocksFarrellN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrell or Brannen or ScanlanN/AN/A
WinnipegGingrasN/AN/A
WinnipegRoxburgh or Bain or GingrasN/AN/A
ShamrocksTriheyBrannenN/A

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Shamrocks, 29 January 1901
A Winnipeg paper reported: “The Victorias were first to appear, and were greeted with great applause, the audience recognizing Bain, Gingras, Johnstone and Rod Flett at once, while a great deal of interest was awakened by the beautiful skating of Wood, who as a young player, caused considerable conjecture and speculation. ‘Whitey’ Merritt was missed, and his successor, Brown, came in for a large amount of close scrutiny, which he fully warrants, for his work was beautiful. Magnus Flett, too, came in for his share of interest”

“Bain was hounded by two men without stop and so closely checked that he could not shoot. He passed frequently to Wood or GIngras and they sent in dozens of hot shots on McKenna, who certainly played a star game”

“Johnstone scored one. He’ll do better than that yet. He is only getting warmed up”

“The Winnipeg defence is breaking up the Shamrocks’ combination work. More power to them”

“Bain and Burke Wood are doing the trick of scoring between them. They are a hard team to beat”

“Gingras generally seems to score when the most need is. As a benedict he is not a whit less great”

“Brown felt bad about that high lift. Not at all, Art. It was not your fault; no one but an owl could see it among the rafters”

A Montreal paper wrote: “Wood was a hard man to figure on, and nobody knew exactly what Gingras was going to do, so that the Shamrock defence were kept very busy, indeed. Wall and Grant were both trying the lifting game, but the visitors gauged the drops well”

“Incidentally, Bain is a peach”

“Wall made one of his dangerous lifts which should have scored”

Final Score: 4-3 Winnipeg

Rosters
Winnipeg: Brown in goal, R. Flett at point, M. Flett at cover, Johnson, Bain, Gingras, and Wood at forward

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Wall at point, Grant at cover, Scanlan, Brannen, Trihey, and Farrell at forward

ShamrocksFarrell or TriheyN/AN/A
WinnipegJohnstone or Bain or GingrasN/AN/A
WinnipegBain or GingrasMaybe GingrasN/A
WinnipegWood or JohnstoneN/AN/A
ShamrocksFarrell or BrannenN/AN/A
ShamrocksWallN/AN/A
WinnipegWoodGingrasN/A

Winnipeg Victorias vs Montreal Shamrocks, 31 January 1901
A Winnipeg paper reported: “Bain scored both goals last night and is probably the greatest player the world ever saw, but Gingras, Johnstone, Wood and the others also played mighty games. The defence was equally as strong. The Flett Brothers’ combination was a happy hit of Armytage, and worked ot perfection. By all reports Rod put up the greatest point game in a superlatively great career while Brown, in goal, well deserves the name ‘wizard’.

“Bain scored both goals and played from the first like a man whose very soul was at stake for he possibly knew it was ‘now or never’. His pluck, speed and endurance were magnificent for he was watched a pounded in a special manner”

“On the left Burke Wood played against Farrell and not only ‘held him down’ but occasionally took a turn in centre ice. Farrell put up the game of his life but couldn’t score, which is saying a whole lot for Wood”

“On the right Gingras played Scanlan, and here was a battle royal. Gingras rushed his man and got in dozens of hot shots on McKenna, who put up a brilliant game throughout and saved a big score. Gingras as usual wa a hot favorite with the audience owing to his desperate spirits”

“In centre ice were Johnstone, Bain, Trihey and Brennan- and where will you ind another such a quartette? Johnstone is a veritable western cycling and whirls all over the ice coming at the puck and the man who has it from all directions, like a regular old-time norwester. He plays the position of ‘rover’ much more effectively than he ever did that of cover-[point. He is an ideal rover and never tires using either his body or his stick. He plays as if it was the greatest fun in the world after he got well warmed up. He is a steam engine at breaking up a combination. As for the Winnipeg defence, it was magical. Brown is the equal of anything ever seen here. The two Fletts work well together. Magnus takes care of the men and Rod handles the puck. They checked the ‘Green’ men so closely that it was impossible to score. They never lifted very far or made any of those startling shots on goal which used to distinguish Charlie Johnstone at cover and which Wall and Grant still practice. The day for long lifting seems to be over. It does no good and simply wearies the team for nothing”

“Brennan, Trihey and Farrell put up their greatest game, but Scanlan seemed afraid of his weak ankle-bone. On the defence Mike Grant was strong. He is far ahead of Tansey of last year, though not so pretty a player. Wall saved his goal scores of times and McKenna simply out-did himself”

“Trihey played like a demon and retrieved his fame until he was laid out in a hard body check from Mag. Flett. He went down and off the ice with a very sore wrist. Wood, who played brilliantly and seemed fresh, was laid off for the rest of the time the game went on”

“Carruthers at key says Bain, Gingras and Johnstone played the game of their lives. Bain was very roughly handled in the second part. Never could move unless he was heavily bodychecked. Brown saved the game for the Winnipegs”

“Flett brothers played a great game together”

A Montreal paper wrote: “The Shamrocks were weak in the defence, insofar as both Wall and Grant seemed to be duplicates in their own particular defence play. A little more dangerous man than Wall with his lifting ability would be difficult to find on hockey ice today. Grant is likewise a goodlifter, i no quite so accurate as Wall, with the added advantage of being able to rush well and use the body to good effect. But when Grant rushes and gets to the other side of the rink he does not get back in time enough to play his position, and stop the dash of a man like Gingras or Bain or Wood”

“ALthough McKenna made some sensational stops the men in front of him did not seem to have the necessary confidence, the result of which was that point and cover seemed to use up each other’s ground, and therefore lost ground”

“The work of Johnson and Gingras for the visitors was particularly worthy of note”

“What looked to be a fine run of Grant’s which nearly resulted in a score ended unexpectedly. He did not get back to place in time and Gingras came along like a ghost, and had the puck with him. He scored the game, the match was over, and Winnipeg had captured the Stanley Cup”

Final Score: 2-1 Victorias

Rosters
Winnipeg: Brown in goal, R. Flett at point, M. Flett at cover, Johnstone at rover, Bain at center, Wood at LW, Gingras at RW

Shamrocks: McKenna in goal, Grant at point, Wall at cover, Trihey at rover, Brennan at center, Scanlan at LW, and Farrell at RW

WinnipegBain or GingrasMaybe Gingras
Maybe Bain
Johnstone
ShamrocksTriheyScanlan or BrannenN/A
WinnipegBain or GingrasN/AN/A

Montreal HC vs Winnipeg Victorias, 13 March 1902
A Winnipeg paper reported: “Dan Bain’s fine work in the match”

“To Winnipeggers who know already what to expect from their own men perhaps the most noticeable individual playing was that of Boon, the featherweight cover-point for the Montreals. Liffiton is a remarkably swift, skillful, and tireless player, though, one regrets to say, a little illegitimate at times in his style of play”

“If any of the Montrealers took any stock in the talk of one of their papers about Dan Bain’s being a ‘has been’, they will now be undeceived. He was a tower of strength to the Winnipeggers and his return to the ice is a fortunate thing for them. Johnstone and Gingras maintained their reputations, and what more can be said. Art Brown retrieved a reputation that had suffered during the earlier part of the season. It was a star exhibition of goal keeping that he put up, especially in the close work around the goal”

“Scanlan, who was checked by Liffiton, worked hard and well. The defensive game played by the Vics gave Roddy and Magnus Flett plenty of exercise, and plenty of opportunity to show what sort of a defence they could put up. It is needless to say what that was. Roddy, though he appeared almost a shade dilatory at times displayed admirable quickness and soundness of judgment, in addition to his ability as a check and stickhandler. Magnus distinguished himself as usual in his position. He is even better than last year- and a good deal better, at that”

“Bain’s shooting was immense”

A Montreal paper wrote: “Individually Boon, cover point and captain of the team, was the bet man on his side. His physique made a strong body-checking game an impossibility, but he is on to every known trick of the game, and his checking is entirely for the puck. This evening he proved very effective, and his long lifting on more than on occasion put the Vics’ goal in extreme danger. Liffiton, the right wing man, was easily the best among the forwards. He is a stylish player and is possessed of great speed. He worked all the way, hard and clearly aoutpointed Scanlan, whom he was checking. Hooper, the rover, is a very strong player, and his shooting was one of the features of the game. Marshall and Gardiner, the other two forwards, worked hard and meant well, but they were not effective. Hodge, the gigantic point player, is the weak spot of the team. He has no speed and his lifting is uncertain. Nicholson, in goals, played a steady game. For the Vics, Bain, the veteran of a hundred fights, was the hero of the occasion. Fast as lightning on his feet and always close to the puck, Bain gained ground whenever he secured the rubber. Gingras, on right wing, was dashing and brilliant as ever, and easily overmatched his check”

“Scanlan had a hard row to hoe in checking Liffiton, and Johnstone lacked his usual effectiveness. M. lett at cover point play a magnificent game. Not only was he a tower of strength to the defence, but when occasion offered, he was ready to assume the aggressive, and his rushes sent the crowd crazy. Roddy Flett at point played a remarkably effective game, and Brown, in goal, never showed to greater advantage”

Another Montreal paper noted: “The two Fletts and Brown, by cool and clever work, time and again prevented Liffiton and Marshall from scoring”

“The two Fletts, Brown, and Gingras were the stars. Scanlan was out-matched by Liffiton. The latter and Marshall were the stars of the Montrealers. Their splendid work kept Boon somewhat in the background in the last half, but when his services were required he was never found wanting”

Final Score: 1-0 Winnipeg

Rosters
Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Hodge at point, Boon at cover, Hooper at rover, Liffiton at LW, Marshall at center, and Gardner at RW

Winnipeg: Brown in goal, R. Flett at point, M. Flett at cover, Johnstone at rover, Gingras at LW, Bain at center, and Scanlan at RW

WinnipegGingrasBainN/A

Montreal HC vs Winnipeg Victorias, 15 March 1902
A Winnipeg paper wrote: “Good goalkeeping, to say nothing of star goalkeeping, has not been put up by the senior Victoria goalkeeper in any game this year, when the ice was such as would permit first rate shooting”

“Scanlan outshone himself and gave the best exhibition of hockey he has yet presented in Winnipeg”

“At that stage of the game Scanlan, the star man of the Vics’ forward line…”

“Nicholson made some marvellous stops”

“The second hal commenced decidedly fast with both Boon and Liffiton, the two Montreal stars, on the fence”

A Montreal paper reported: “Hooper was undoubtedly the star of the line. As rover he put up a magnificent game. His shooting was accurate, his checking was strong, and when he got the puck he never failed to gain ground. Liffiton, as right wing, is the speediest man of the quartette; he was checking Scanlan, and while he did not break through as often as in the first match, he was dangerous all the way and played brilliant hockey. Gardner, the left wing, put up a very effective article. He is a pretty skater and a nice shot, but his frequent tripping marred his otherwise good performance. He was ruled off nine times. Marshall at centre played a hard working game”

“Boone, at cover point, was the whole team and a spare man. What he does not know about the fine points of the game would not occupy much time in telling, and he brought into play every device he knew. The result was that very few of the young gentlemen in red and blue got any further than coverpoint. Those that did found a surprise party waiting or them. Hodge, the point on Thursday evening, had been thrown out, his place being taken by Bellingham, who showed splendid form. He seemed to give the team confidence, and his inclusion was a wise move. Nicholson, goal, touched the puck on three occasions”

“Scanlan was, perhaps, the pick of the lot. Dan Bain and Gingras were brilliant in sports, but they were not effective. Charlie Johnstone, as rover, did not keep his head and failed to check Hooper”

“Flett, at cover point, failed in his checking and did not get rid of the puck quickly enough. Roddy, at point, played a good game, but Brown, in goal, although he stopped a number of good shots, weakened toward the finish”

Another Montreal paper noted: “On keen ice the Montreal boys proved to be whirlwinds; even the redoubtable Tony Gingras looked slow beside them, and if by a chance his speed carried him down towards the Montreal goal, Dickey Boon was always in the way, and the puck did not remain there long. Liffiton, Boon and Hooper were the stars of the Montreals”

“He [Liffiton] ws marked apparently as a good subject for bodying and got more than his share of it. Nevertheless he not only kept track of the cleverest Vic player, Scanlan, but was a host of strength to Boon, Marshall and Hooper”

“But Dickey [Boon] was always doing something unexpected, and before the game closed was perhaps the most popular player on the ice. Gardner on the left wing was most effective. Marshall worked hard and while apparently severely hurt his toe on one occasion did not impress the crowd in this way. He was hooted as he staggered off the ice”

“Bellingham strengthened the Montreal defence. He played a cleaner, cleverer game than Hodge, and was frequently applauded. Nicholson in goal could not be improved on. He had no opportunity to distinguish himself and he had very few hot shots to stop”

Final Score: 5-0 Montreal

Rosters
Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Bellingham at point, Boon at cover, Hooper at rover, Liffiton at RW, Marshall at center, and Gardiner at LW

Winnipeg: Brown in goal, R. Flett at point, M. Flett at cover, Johnstone at rover, Gingras at RW, Bain at center, and Scanlan at LW

TeamGoal ScorerAssistAssis
MontrealHooperN/AN/A
MontrealMarshallN/AN/A
MontrealHooperLiffitonN/A
MontrealLiffitonMarshallN/A
MontrealGardiner or MarshallN/AN/A

Montreal HC vs Winnipeg Victorias, 17 March 1902
A Winnipeg paper wrote: “Boon is the bright particular star of the aggregation, but all the other players were stars also”

“On the home team Gingras, who was a host in himself, Scanlan, and Roddy Flett were particularly effective, but were closely run by Johnstone, Bain and Magnus Flett”

A Montreal paper reported: “It would be hard to pick the man who played the best game for the home team. On the forward line Bain and Scanlan, perhaps, divided the honors. Bain played as fast and aggressive a game as he ever did in his life. He was always on the puck, and never in his palmiest days did he show greater speed. Scanlan was the most effective man of the bunch. So far as stick handling is concerned, he is, perhaps, without a peer in Canada, and last night, whenever he touched the rubber he made ground. Some of his rushes were marvellous, and the way he dodged in and out among the opposing players never failed to bring the crowd to its feet, and earn him rounds of applause. Tony Gingras, on the right wing, did great work. Gardner, the man whom he was checking, never showed up throughout the entire play, while Tony time and time again made those brilliant rushes which have become characteristic of his play. Johnstone was back to his old form, and not one Montrealer ever broke through the line who did not afterwards have difficulty in getting clear of this stalwart forward. Magnus Flett, at cover point, broke up everything in the way of an attack, and only the remnants got past him. He played, perhaps, the hardest game on the Victoria team and showed himself to be a great cover point. R. Flett, at point, played close in on the poles, and blocked and cleared in the manner which has given him his big reputation. Brown, in goal, played right up to form”

“Hooper was the brightest man on the line. His shooting was always accurate, and his checking was simply splendid. Liffiton was not as brilliant by long odds as in the first matches, and his time was principally occupied in preventing Scanlan from breaking away. Gardner never showed very prominently in the play and did not hold Gingras as closely as he might have”

“There was one man on the Montreal team who, during the first two matches was rather overlooked by the critics. This man was Nicholson, the big goalkeeper of the team. Up to this evening he never had a chance to show what he could really do, but then the chance came and Nicholson made good”

“Decidedly, Mr. Nicholson won the game for Montreal”

“Boon, the plucky captain of the team, played the game as he never played it before. He was all over the ice, checking, blocking, and clearing with speed and accuracy. Bellingham at point was steady as a rock and overlooked nothing”

“Marshall was, as usual, seriously injured, at least a dozen times, but in spite of the fact that on one occasion he had to be carried from the ice, he showed rare plush, and managed to finish the game”

Another Montreal paper noted: “They [Boon and Bellingham] were ably assisted in the defence by Nicholson, who played the most marvellous game in goal ever witnessed here. He was cool headed throughout. Had the Vics’ goal keeper played the same kind of a game, the Cup might still be one of the adornments of the Vics’ clubrooms. Gingras’ shots seldom ‘azed’ Nicholson, when they reached him, and it was only a puzzling side shot by the Frenchman which gave the Vics their only goal”

“Bain played a whirlwind game and was always effective. Scanlan never played cleverer hockey in his life. His stick handling was marvellous to behold. Gingras played an erratic, but brilliant, game, but had difficulty at times in keeping the puck from Gardner. The two Fletts roused themselves after the first two goals were taken by Montreal, and played in their old-time form”

“Dickey Boon was simply invincible. He seldom made an error, and was always in the right spot at the right time. Marshall perhaps did not show up so well as expected, but he was always to be counted in during a mix-up. Liffiton, while playing clever, clear hockey, did not play his Saturday night game, and Scanlan at times ‘put it all over him’”

“That man Liffiton is a little wonder and a game sport”

Final Score: 2-1 Montreal

Rosters
Montreal: Nicholson in goal, Bellingham at point, Boon at cover, Hooper at rover, Liffiton at RW, Marshall at center, and Gardner at LW

Winnipeg: Brown in goal, R. Flett at point, M. Flett at cover, Johnstone at rover, Scanlan at LW, Bain at center, and Gingras at RW

MontrealHooperN/AN/A
MontrealMarshallBoonN/A
WinnipegGingrasBainN/A

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I think we need to be clear that the Manitoba league that Bain played in was not anywhere near the same quality as the Manitoba league that @overpass referenced, right? I'm far from spun up on the ins and outs of that league, but if Wikipedia is to be believed, the Manitoba Hockey League consisted of a whopping two teams (the Winnipeg Victorias and Winnipeg HC) each season while Bain was playing for the Victorias , who won the "league" each season of Bain's career. The league doesn't really appear to have been that strong until the 1904-05 season.

That isn't to say that Bain (or other Victorias' players, for that matter) wasn't a good player- I think the quotes I posted above from the SC challenge games shows that Bain and the Vics were a good challenge for the AHAC/CAHL teams, and likely would have fit in well- a record of 4 wins and 8 losses against the champions of the league suggest they may not have been a consistent threat in the AHAC/CAHL, but that they certainly belonged and wouldn't have been a punching bag or anything.

However, I hesitate to say that means he was playing strong competition outside of those challenge games, though, as I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that is the case.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Bain research is a tremendous read and really pierces through the legend. He's clearly the best player on those Winnipeg teams, though it looks like we may have underappreciated the star power of goaltender Merritt.

McDougall doesn't come across great.

Grant seems inconsistent, but absolutely elite when on.

Bain gets very high praise. I don't know if this is the round for him, but I'll certainly be ranking him.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The Bain research is a tremendous read and really pierces through the legend.
Thanks! I had a good time doing it, as I was really ignorant about those series beforehand.
He's clearly the best player on those Winnipeg teams, though it looks like we may have underappreciated the star power of goaltender Merritt.
I just said I was ignorant, and I think Merritt and Roddy Flett are two guys I absolutely whiffed on with my preliminary list. Flett being called the best point in Canada - even if it was from a home paper - is a pretty big deal to me.
@BenchBrawl and I talked about this a while back (I can't remember if it was in the research thread or PMs), but we have both noticed that the high-scorers don't always look great in contemporary evaluations of players (which make the praise for guys like Bowie, McGee, and Phillips that much more impressive, IMO). Actually, we see it in this very thread- Tommy Smith gets ripped on for lack of defensive play, as @Dr John Carlson notes. I'll go ahead and add that Ernie Russell's defensive play is also criticized (or, more accurately, given as a reason for his not being played in some critical games), but I plan to have a separate post about Russell in the next day or two (one of the few AHAC/CAHL/ECAHA players I'm not going to go to bat for, at least not for a while).

For what it is worth, I don't think McDougall gets the negative press that guys like Russell and Tommy Smith get, so I am inclined to rank him higher (even though he is ineligible this round).
This is the second (?) SC series where he gets some pretty heavy criticism at some points. He's already in (and rightully, I think) so I won't belabor this, but I'm still less than confident that he was ever the best player (or even best defenceman) in the world, at least not for anything more than a season or two.
Bain gets very high praise. I don't know if this is the round for him, but I'll certainly be ranking him.
He probably gets my vote, at this point. I wish we had more on his Manitoba league career, though. It's hard to get a good sense of a player over the game summaries of just 11 games.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Thanks for the research, @rmartin65. I'm glad that I was able to spark some talk about Dan Bain and the Winnipeg Victorias. I'll obviously be voting for him as well.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
1678909921180.png

HERB GARDINER BIO

Have you ever seen that classic baseball movie called The Rookie starring Dennis Quaid? Well Herb Gardiner's life is hockey's version of that incredible story.

A stellar two-way defensemen, Herb didn't make the jump to the NHL until he was at the advanced hockey age of 35 years old. Despite being at least a decade older than most players in the league, Gardiner quickly established himself as one of the NHL's most skilled and consistent blue-liners.
Herb's rookie season was so tremendous that he was awarded the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league's most valuable player. Gardiner was the first of twelve Montreal Canadiens players to win the Hart Memorial Trophy throughout the league's history. He was the first defensemen to win the award, and he is one of two players to ever win the Hart in their rookie year. The other being none other than Wayne Gretzky.

The Montreal Canadiens website wrote that, "The 5-foot-10, 190 pound blue-liner was one of the bigger men in the game and among the strongest. Playing in an era that featured a far more brutal form of play than is accepted today, Gardiner was in his element when the going got tough."

Herb Gardiner was born in Winnipeg on May 8th 1891. The grandson of a British military general, Herb grew up on a Winnipeg military base in the 1890's and would skate along a series of frozen rivers and waterways to school every morning. Skating became a mode of transportation for young Herb so maybe that's why he took to hockey early on in life, playing with his friends on corner ice lots.

Herb lost his father very early in life as he perished in the Second Boer War around the turn of the century. He ended up sticking with hockey throughout his youth and by fifteen he was playing in a local bankers' league and was on the Northern Crowns Bank team that won the league. A few years later at age seventeen he was already playing senior hockey for the historic Winnipeg Victorias club, winning a senior championship with the club.
Despite being an exceptional young hockey player, Herb didn't think that hockey was going to pan out as a potential career for him so he quit the game at the age of nineteen and decided to go to school to become a civil engineer, while also working as a surveyor for the Canadian Pacific Railway in Calgary.

A few years later, Gardiner enlisted in the Canadian Army for the First World War and was sent overseas in 1915 where he was on the front lines as a lieutenant, fighting in Flanders (Belgium) and France. In 1918, while fighting in France, Herb was severely wounded, taking shrapnel to the face and chest. Ironically, a piece of shrapnel hit him in his chest pocket where he was carrying his civil engineer training book. He lost part of his lung, but because the shrapnel got embedded in his training book, it ended up saving his life.

Gardiner returned to Calgary with medical discharge from the army and resumed his surveying job. He also decided to try and get back into hockey. Despite not skating for nearly nine years, Herb tried out for the Calgary Wanderers and then later turned pro at the age of 29 with the Calgary Tigers of the Western Canada Hockey League (WCHL).

In 1924, Gardiner helped Calgary win the WCHL championships in a hard fought series with Regina. Herb and future NHLer and league president Red Dutton were stellar as defense partners against the likes of superstars George Hay, Dick Irvin and Barney Stanley on the Regina team. On the road for game one, Herb scored the tying goal in a 2-2 tie. The teams met back in Calgary for the final game of the two game total-goals series and Herb's Tigers were victorious, winning 2-0 on home ice.

That put Calgary in the Stanley Cup finals where they went up against Howie Morenz, Aurel Joliat and the powerhouse Montreal Canadiens. Although Calgary lost to Montreal in the 1924 Stanley Cup final by a 6-1 and 3-0 scoreline, Herb's strong and sturdy play, culminated with a thunderous Gardiner hipcheck that sent Howie Morenz over the boards convinced the Canadiens to try and sign the unknown surveyor. Canadiens general manager Leo Dandurand approached Herb on the ice after Montreal had won the Cup and offered him a playing and off-season job if he'd move to Montreal. Herb declined. As his great nephew Brian Costello of The Hockey News once wrote, "Herb was a stay at home defensemen, right to the core."

At the time, Herb was 33 years old, married, and expecting his first child. It simply didn't make sense to just pack up and move across the country for hockey. Costello writes that, "For hockey players in the 1920s, making the NHL wasn't the be-all, end-all it is today. If you were from the west and excelled at the game, you probably played in the Western Canada Hockey League. Teams in Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Vancouver, Regina and Saskatoon had all-world stars such as Newsy Lalonde, Red Dutton, Frank Boucher, Dick Irvin, Bill and Bun Cook skating for them. The calibre of play was on par with the National Hockey League. For a few seasons, WCHL champs played the NHL winners for the Stanley Cup. Players of that era generally had other paying jobs outside hockey, especially in the offseason. So it didn't make a lot of sense for WCHLers to pack up and go play in the NHL, unless there was an offer just too good to turn down."

Everything changed two years later however when the WCHL folded and Herb was without a hockey team. That's when he was approached by Dandurand again and asked once again if he would play for the Canadiens, a team that was in a deep struggle after their goaltender, Georges Vezina, passed away from tuberculosis. Without a team and still feeling like he could play at a high level, the now 35-year-old Gardiner decided to quit his surveying job and moved his family to Montreal. The Canadiens did their due diligence by buying his rights from Calgary for the sum of one dollar. At the time the Canadiens were having trouble signing a fourth defensemen for the 1926-27 season, so Gardiner simply told the Habs boss, "If you pay me his salary, I'll play his position."

Montreal signed him and the rest is history.

The 35-year-old rookie Herb Gardiner didn't leave the ice for the entire season. Playing on the point with Sylvio Mantha as his defensive partner, Herb played every second of every game during the Habs 44 regular season contests and four playoff games. He was awarded the Hart Memorial Trophy for his efforts at year's end (the second oldest to ever win the award after Eddie Shore) and was appropriately named the "Ironman of Hockey" by his peers.
It was nothing short of remarkable what Gardiner did as a veteran 35-year-old rookie defensemen. The Montreal Gazette wrote in the days after Herb received the Hart that, "Gardiner's selection as the winner of the Hart Trophy comes as no surprise. This veteran from the prairie, who came up to the Canadiens this season from Calgary, has been credited with much of the success that the team attained. He not only has proved a star at left defense, but he has travelled practically 60 minutes in all games; has taken few penalties, but above all, has been the inspiration to the team from the first. He generals them on the ice and when they show signs of crumbling, he always cuts loose with speedy hockey which serves to rally his teammates. His generalship has been the big factor in Canadiens' triumphs and his example as a clean player has been a benefit to the club."

After another season with Montreal, Gardiner was loaned to the Chicago Blackhawks to serve as their player-coach. Montreal recalled him to the squad later in the season where he retired at the end of the 1928-29 season. Herb's NHL stats were 19 points in 109 games and in the WCHL he had 51 points in 130 games. The Hart Trophy in 1927 was the highlight of his career and it was nothing short of remarkable given his advanced age. He was able to not only play with the best players in the world, but he did so without even needing a breather.

When he retired from hockey, Herb settled in Philadelphia where he became coach of their minor league team. Herb knew Lester Patrick (coach of the New York Rangers) from his playing days, and Patrick offered him the job of coaching the Philadelphia Arrows, an affiliate of the Rangers. Herb didn't get back to Winnipeg all that much after his playing days were over. He had some brothers and sisters there but for the most part he stayed in the Philadelphia area.

Herb became the father of hockey in Philadelphia, coaching the city's minor league teams that were called the Quakers, Arrows, Ramblers, Rockets and Falcons continuously for eighteen years until 1947. During his tenure he mentored plenty of future Hall of Famers including Bryan Hextall, Babe Pratt and Art Coulter. Gardiner's biggest coaching success came in 1936 when he led the Philadelphia Ramblers to the Canadian-American Hockey League (CAHL) championship. It was the first pro championship that the city of Philadelphia ever won in hockey and it stayed that way until the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers won back-to-back Stanley Cup's in 1974 and 1975.

In 1947 when there was talk about the NHL's Montreal Maroons moving to Philadelphia, Herb was named the GM of the future Philadelphia NHL team. Unfortunately the move never happened and it would be another twenty years before Philadelphia received an NHL franchise.
Herb received the highest honour a hockey player could achieve when he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958. And when the Philadelphia Flyers came into the NHL in 1967 when the league expanded to twelve teams, owner Ed Snider sought out Herb and had him fill out the first application for season tickets. He was considered Philadelphia's "Mr. Hockey" for all he did for the sport there so Mr. Snider gave him the tickets for free and he attended virtually every home game for the rest of his life.

Herb's nephew Barry Costello recalls that, "On one of the many train trips our family took to Philadelphia, I told Uncle Herb and Aunt Carrie that the previous winter (1950/51) I had played defence on the Pee-Wee Canadiens in the old Calgary Buffalo Athletic Association Pee- Wee, Midget, Juvenile and Juniors Hockey Leagues. Uncle Herb immediately wanted to know how many games I played in but, thankfully, never asked me if I scored any goals or got any penalties - because I hadn't! He did however give me the tip to 'always stand your ground on the blue line".

Herb Gardiner passed away on January 11th 1972 at the age of 80. He was buried in his Hockey Hall of Fame blazer.

"He was a very tough man," recalled Herb's grandson Jim Rhodes. "When he was eighty years old, he had a heart attack, and actually drove himself the twenty minutes it took to get to the hospital. He got there and they admitted him and he was in the hospital for six weeks because his health continued to decline after the heart attack. They couldn't figure out why. Eventually he passed away so they performed an autopsy and it turns out that he died from the ulcers he had coaching hockey. Once he stopped coaching, they subsided, but once he entered the hospital, all the stress your body is going through, the ulcers came back with a vengeance and killed him."

"He was such a fascinating person because of all the things that happened to him," said Rhodes. "He didn't think he could make a career out of hockey so he stopped playing. He went to school and then went to war. He got injured in the war, losing part of his lung and was lucky to be alive, and then starts up hockey career again. He married a woman who understood completely when he decided to move the family to Montreal as a 35-year-old rookie. He played every second of every game for the Canadiens becoming the Iron man of hockey. He coached the Philadelphia team for eighteen years and had many players on his team go on to play in the NHL. I've been wearing his Hall of Fame ring since 1972 when he died and I'll be always be so proud of what he accomplished in hockey and in life."

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
1678910220460.png

JOE HALL BIO

Joe Hall was the misunderstood bully of the hockey world during his time playing professional hockey. An absolute mercenary on the ice, teammates and also opponents swear that he was the nicest guy in the world once you got him off the ice, refuting the "Bad Joe" moniker he'd once been given by a journalist looking to sell some newspapers that seemed to carry on for his whole life.

"He wasn't mean," said friend and teammate Joe Malone, "despite what a lot of people said about him. He certainly liked to deal out a heavy check and he was always ready to take it as well as dish it out. That in itself was remarkable when you consider that Joe weighed in at a hundred fifty pounds. As far as I'm concerned he should have been known as 'Plain' Joe Hall and not 'Bad' Joe Hall. That always was a bum rap."

A little known fact about Hall is how he had a role in the invention of the modern hockey skate. While living in Brandon his neighbour was a man by the name of George Tackaberry and Joe would often complain to him about his hockey boots not being able to last for an entire season without collapsing. Being a good neighbour, Tackaberry worked on making a new, more durable pair of hockey boots for Joe. He combined the natural strength of kangaroo leather with a reinforced toe and the result was a home-run. Joe loved the skates and so did everyone on his hockey team as Tackaberry soon became flooded with orders. The business took off from there and became the top brand of hockey skates on the market for years.

Eventually when Tackaberry passed away in 1937, the patent for the skates was sold to CCM − the same CCM business that is still making hockey skates to this day.

So when you're lacing up a pair of skates for now on you can think of the name Joe Hall.

Joe Hall was born on May 3rd 1881 in Milwich, England. When he was two years old his family emigrated to Canada, settling first in Winnipeg and then later in Brandon. Joe went to school and had his hockey beginnings on the river rinks of Winnipeg. It wasn't until his family moved to Brandon that Hall's hockey playing abilities were noticed.

Clint Bennest, one of Hall's oldest pals recalled that, "Joe's hockey career started in the season of 1898-99. It was in the fall of 1898 before the rink opened that the boys of the Brandon hockey teams went out to Lake Percy to practice. While there they noticed a new boy on the ice who was some skater. They asked him to come and practice with them. The boy was Joe Hall, who had shortly before come to Brandon to make cigars."

Joe quickly joined on and played intermediate hockey for the Brandon Wheat Cities to kick-start his hockey career and in 1901-02 his team won the intermediate championship and earned their promotion into the senior ranks the following year. A cushy off-ice job lured Hall to play for the Winnipeg Rowing Club in 1903-04. The Winnipeg Rowing Club would take Joe with them to the nation's capital when they challenged the famous Ottawa Silver Seven for the 1904 Stanley Cup. Although his team wasn't successful in their Cup challenge, Hall scored a goal in his team's lone victory in the best-of-three series.

It was during his time with the Winnipeg club that his rough and tumble antics first came into the newspaper spotlight. In a January 1904 game at the Winnipeg Auditorium, members of the crowd were taunting Joe with cat-calls of "butcher" and "lobster" for his dirty play and were egged-on more after Hall made "an alleged breach of etiquette towards the audience."

Hall returned to Brandon the following season but the word was out on his rough play. He quickly became an outlaw of the Manitoba senior ranks, often suspended and having to watch his team's games from the stands. Finally the league had enough and kicked him out at the end of the season.
Not really having much of a choice, Hall turned pro in the 1905-06 season with the Portage Lakes club in Houghton, Michigan of the International Professional Hockey League. When he left for Houghton, friends and fans gathered for a farewell party at the Brandon CPR station. It just goes to show you how well Joe was as a person off the ice. "A number of boys lifted him shoulder high and bounced him about in the air, during which proceeding Joe blushed and smiled," read the news report. "He has always been a valuable member of the local puck-chasing septette, a straight, honest hockeyist, who played the game with a vigour that sometimes laid him open to criticism. But when the season gets into swing, it is pretty safe to predict that Houghton will show no more valuable defensemen on its lineup than Joe Hall."

Joe made the IPHL's First All-Star Team in what was a spectacular professional debut, scoring 33 goals in just 20 games. His rowdiness as a tough enforcer certainly didn't go unnoticed in that year. One opposing team's management even went as far as not letting Joe Hall enter it's rink anymore.

Portage Lake challenged for the Stanley Cup but their request was denied because the team was openly professional. After one season in Houghton, Hall returned to Canada and played once again for Brandon and then the next year in Montreal. He was able to play in the Manitoba league because it was now considered professional, but when he went to Montreal he had to be let in by the league to rejoin the amateur ranks.

"I have been reinstated," Hall said, "and I am going to show the Montreal people that I am not half as bad as I have been painted in the matter of rough play. I had two tickets waiting for me from Pittsburgh, but I thought I would rather stay in Canada and take a hand in the struggle in this part of the country."

Around the time that Joe was reinstated, teammate Art Ross (Yes, the same Art Ross that the trophy is named after) talked to a local newsmen to try and give Hall some positive PR: "He is a fast, clever player, and all right when he is left alone. Unfortunately for himself, he has earned the reputation of being rough, and when he steps on the ice for a game he is a marked man for every player on the other side. I have heard 'Dirty Hall' called out by a crowd for a piece of work which happened at the other end of the rink from where Hall was at the moment. His temper, I suppose, gave under repeated provocations in the Winnipeg match, but to show you that he put up with a lot himself, I can say that he came out of the game with two cuts on his head, each of which required four stitches. He was told by Winnipeg players that they would get to him. He is a gentlemanly fellow off the ice, and he played good, clean hockey against us in our two matches. I would like to see him playing in the east, and I am sure it would not take long for him to wipe out the impression that he is a rough player, and to build up a reputation for what he is − a fast and clever one!"

The Winnipeg Tribune replied to Ross saying, "Hall’s one drawback as a hockey player is his temper, which, on the ice, he appears to be unable to control. Joe possesses the qualities of a great hockey player and if he could only dampen this feature, his worth would be doubled."

Hall went on to play for Montreal AAA's and Shamrocks clubs in the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association and was on the Kenora Thistles team that won the Stanley Cup in 1907. Eventually he joined the National Hockey Association which served as the forerunner to the NHL and skated for the Quebec Bulldogs. He made a lot of enemies while with the Bulldogs including a long-time feud with Montreal Canadiens superstar Newsy Lalonde.

"One night, Joe Hall nearly crushed my windpipe and I came back and almost broke his collarbone," Newsy Lalonde recalled. Another night Joe drove Lalonde's head into the fence at the end of the rink. On another occasion, Hall beat up Lalonde pretty bad and was chagrined after the game to discover that Lalonde's wife had delivered a baby, a daughter, that morning. Hall went to the hospital and apologized to Mrs. Lalonde for injuring the father of her child on such an important day.

It wasn't just Newsy Lalonde that Joe went after. In fact, Lalonde got off easy compared to some of the other players and people that got in Hall's way on the ice. After one game he was charged by police for disorderly conduct for an on-ice fight in Toronto. Another night he attacked an official and was ordered to pay a $100 fine and a further $27 for ruining the man's suit. Joe refused to pay either fine, claiming that he was trying to get back at an opposing player. What really happened is that in a span of about two minutes Hall cut Lester Patrick with his stick, knocked out Fred Whitcroft's tooth, slugged the referee, tearing the official's trousers pants in the process after Hall kicked him while he was down on the ice. This of course only added to his "Bad Joe" label that he'd be given. What the papers at the time didn't tell you however is that Hall's good nature prevailed as he went to visit the referee at home, apologized for any wrongdoing and offered to pay for his trousers to get fixed.

I know you'd think after reading those last few paragraphs that Hall was nothing but a goon that could only wreak havoc but that actually couldn't be farther from the truth. Despite all the heads he bashed in, he really was one of the great scoring defensemen of his time if you simply look at his stats alone. Perhaps Hall's in-your-face toughness threw off opponents and gave him more space on the ice which led to scoring. Be that as it may, it worked. That being said, referees and officials never liked Hall much and were often quite biased against him during games. One scribe agreed with Joe and wrote, "The whole trouble is that no referee thinks he is doing his duty unless he registers a major or a minor penalty against the Brandon man. There are far dirtier players in the NHA (National Hockey Association) today but they get away with it, though the referees know that they are handing out the rough stuff, even though the crowd does not always tumble to it right away."

With Joe leading the Bulldogs blueline, they won back-to-back Stanley Cups in 1912 and 1913. He was very well liked by his fans of Quebec as they went as far as voting him as the most popular player in hockey. Hall really enjoyed playing with the Bulldogs but when the National Hockey League formed in 1917, the Quebec team had to take a sabbatical for financial reasons and their players were offered up in a dispersal draft for the four inaugural NHL teams. Joe ended up being picked by the Montreal Canadiens and in the process became one of the first English-speaking players in team history. His feud with Newsy Lalonde was thrown out the window and the pair became really good friends and roommates while on-the-road.

"I never really had anything against Newsy," Hall recalled. "He began the whole thing by keeping up a running fire of insulting and sarcastic remarks to me once during a game. I became sore and always handed back the same line of conversation. I bodied him hard on every occasion and literally goaded him on to hitting me − and I struck back."

Hall led the newly-formed league in penalty minutes during its first two seasons of operation and was one of the top scoring defensemen in the NHL's primitive years. Joe's contract for the 1918-1919 season paid him $600, plus a $100 signing bonus and a further $100 bonus if the team finished first. The Canadiens did finish first but Hall never got to enjoy his bonus.

Despite everything that Joe achieved as a hockey player he'll always solely be remembered for the 1919 Stanley Cup Finals and what transpired when Joe and the Canadiens (NHL champions) travelled to the west coast to take on the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (PCHA) champion Seattle Metropolitans for Lord Stanley's Cup. The series became a wild, intense affair that eventually got taken over by the Spanish influenza epidemic that caused many of the players on both teams to fall ill, including Hall. In the last hockey game that Joe ever played he was reportedly in a state of exhaustion, doing everything he could to keep playing but eventually was too sick to continue. He was taken to the hospital where his temperature was recorded in the dangerously high range of 105 degrees F.

With most of Montreal's team and a lot of Seattle's players in the hospital, the series was cancelled on April 1st, the morning of the final game that would have decided the Cup. When it was clear that Hall may not recover, his wife was summoned from Brandon to be by Joe's bedside. She, along with Hall's mother and sister left immediately but they didn't make it in time. A telegram came while en-route stating that he had died.

Joe Hall succumbed to his pneumonia on April 5th 1919 at the age of 38. Once in a bitter feud, now best friend Newsy Lalonde was at Hall's bedside when he passed away. Joe was the only player in the series that failed to recover from the flu.

The rest of the Canadiens team quickly recovered and travelled to Vancouver where they met up with Joe's family and attended his funeral there. Joe was interred at Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver and had hockey greats such as Lester Patrick, Cyclone Taylor, Si Griffis, Newsy Lalonde, Billy Coutu and Louis Berlinguette serve as his pallbearers. The team then travelled by train across Canada back to Montreal with a stopover in Brandon for another service for Hall. The flu that killed Joe would kill fifty to one hundred million people before the epidemic finally ended.

Hall's teammate and good pal Joe Malone was especially upset about Joe's passing because it meant that he wouldn't have any more chances to erase the "Bad Joe" name he was given. "There were plenty of huge, rough characters on the ice in Joe's time," recalled Malone, "and he was able to stay in there with them for more than eighteen years. His death was a tragic and shocking climax to one of the most surprising of all Stanley Cup series."
"One of the real veterans of hockey," Pacific League president Frank Patrick said at the time of Joe's Death. "The game suffered a loss by his passing. Off the ice he was one of the jolliest, best-hearted, most popular men who ever played."

Joe's obituary wrote that, "Hall played the game for all there was in it, and although he checked hard and close, he was never known to take a mean advantage of a weaker opponent. He was popular with his club mates, and made many friends in the cities in which he played hockey Joe."
In the years that followed Joe's death, the hockey world rallied around his family. A trust fund was set up for his widow and their children and "Joe Hall Memorial Week" games were played throughout Manitoba to raise funds, with the biggest one in Winnipeg at the old Amphitheatre. There was also a game in Montreal as well. The Winnipeg game featured all-stars from various Winnipeg-based teams playing against the same from other teams in Manitoba.

Hall was a journeyman professional hockey player ever since he was nineteen years old. His longevity in the sport was incredible for his time, especially with the way he played the game. Throughout his whole life he never once forgot his Manitoba roots, coming home to Brandon every offseason to work as a brakeman for the railroad. He made a decent wage with his hockey and railroad work that he was able to purchase a nice home in town for his family. He also invested in other land around Brandon and its surrounding area. His wife, two sons and one daughter lived quite comfortably while Joe was away playing hockey all winter.

In 1961, Hall's family had the chance to celebrate Joe's hockey career one final time when he had the great honour of being posthumously inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Hall wasn't just known for being "Bad Joe" or the answer to the trivia question "Which Montreal Canadiens defensemen passed away tragically during the 1919 Stanley Cup finals?" He should better be known for the fact that he was one of the best early defensemen in the game of hockey. And that's the legacy that should live on forever in the echelons of our sport.

The Bain research is a tremendous read and really pierces through the legend. He's clearly the best player on those Winnipeg teams, though it looks like we may have underappreciated the star power of goaltender Merritt.

I promise that I was the only one here that had Whitey Merritt on the initial 80-player ballot. Very underrated goaltender in the early days of the Stanley Cup.
Whitey was an early innovator at the position as he was the first goalie to wear leg pads, when he wore a pair of cricket pads on February 14, 1896. He went on to get a shutout in a 2-0 game against the Montreal Victorias to win the Stanley Cup.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Glad to see Tommy Smith available He has a great shot at #1 for me. What makes Babe Dye any better, other than a slightly later birthday to put up his best stats in the NHL, instead of NHA?

Art Ross and Hap Holmes will definitely be high on my list, as will LeSueur.

Tommy Smith

Hockey-notes.com said:
On more than one occasion, though, he surprised some of the more rugged types in the league when they tried to slap him around. He was also the top face-off man of his era.

Iain Fyffe's Hockey Historysis said:
Like his brother Harry, Tommy Smith was a hockey mercenary. He had played exactly one season of high-level senior hockey in his hometown of Ottawa before going to Pittsburgh to play for pay. He played for seven different clubs in the next seven seasons, before finally settling down (mostly) in Quebec for a few years, where he had his greatest success in terms of the Stanley Cup.

Tommy Smith scored buckets of goals, wherever he went. have a look at his Point Allocation results. He scored in Ottawa, he scored in Pittsburgh, he scored in Brantford, he scored in Galt, he scored in Moncton, he scored in Toronto, and he especially scored in Quebec. He led three separate leagues in goals (the Federal Amateur Hockey League, the Ontario Professional Hockey League, and the National Hockey Association twice), missed leading the Maritime Professional Hockey Association by one goal in 1911/12, and would surely have also led the Western Pennsylvania league in 1908/09 had the team he was playing for not folded halfway through the schedule (his goals-per-game was over twice that of the man who actually led the league, and only his brother Harry was close on a per-game basis).

Smith was quite a durable player - he never missed a significant number of games due to injury; it took typhoid fever to knock him out for most of the 1909/10 season. He was also apparently excellent at taking faceoffs, something not often noted at the time, despite playing wing when he was teamed with Malone.

2 x Stanley Cup Champion (1906, 1913)
5 x Stanley Cup Finalist (1906, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917)

As teammates in Quebec, 26-29 year old Tommy Smith handily outscored 22-25 year old Joe Malone.

Smith had 123 goals in 69 games (1.78 GPG).
Malone had 108 goals in 73 games (1.48 GPG).

Here is how it breaks down:
Season|Player|Age|GP|Goals
1912-13|T Smith|26|18|39
1912-13|J Malone|22|20|43
1913-14|T Smith|27|20|45
1913-14|Joe Malone|23|17|24
1914-15|T Smith|28|9|23
1914-15|Joe Malone|24|12|16
1915-16|T Smith|29|22|16
1915-16|Joe Malone|25|24|25
Total|T Smith||69|123
Total|J Malone||73|108

Iain Fyffe's Hockey Historysis said:
Although Joe Malone is today the best-known player on the great Bulldog teams of the 1910s, there seems little doubt to me that Smith was actually their best player. As it happens, Malone was four years' Smith's junior, and as such was able to hang around long enough to produce in the NHL, rather than the NHA, and as such is known to even some less-than-hardcore fans as the man who scored 2.2 goals per game in the current league's inaugural season. No disrespect intended to Malone, of course, who was a great player in his own right. But Smith doesn't get the respect today that he deserves.

Sources from his early 20s (before he played in the NHA)

As a star rover:
The Pittsburgh Press said:
Tommy Smith, the brilliant little rover of the Pittsburgh hockey team, is known by nearly all those who attend the games as "Snake" ... for when he secures the puck, one might as well try to catch and hold a reptile as he.

Smith comes from a family of hockey players and is a star. His position at rover gives him many opportunities to display his well-known dodging ability, and in this style of play, he has no equal. Smith has been playing hockey since he was old enough to walk. Some say he knew what a puck was before he knew his name.

Smith's first game of note was with the Liona College team of Montreal in 1902. The next season he was playing in the Emmets City League, playing left wing. During those two years, he made a wonderful reputation for himself as an all-round player...
The Pittsburgh Press - Google News Archive Search

Smith was highly sought after before coming to Pittsburgh of the new WPHL:
A player who needs no introduction, and one who, despite playing but one season in this city, had probably more admirers than any youngster who ever wore a Pittsburgh uniform, is Tommy Smith, the fast and aggressive rover of the locals last season. Smith will be received with open arms, as he was one of the most sought-after players in Canada this season, and it was only for his good opinion of Pittsburgh and his friendship with the hustling manager that he consented to return here.

Description of his star power and comparison to his older brothers from a preview of the inaugural season of the WPHL:
Tommy Smith, who will play at his old position, rover, is so well known that nothing can be said about him that the followers of hocked (sic) do not already know. He is the brother of Al Smith and Harry Smith, whose reputations are world-wide. Tommy is as good as either of his famous brothers. He is one of the most popular players who ever donned a pair of skates.

In 1908, Tommy Smith was selected one of two ringers for a playoff game in the IPL:
The Pittsburgh Press, March 18, 1908

Tommy Smith was a legitimate star in the NHA

In 1914 in the NHA, Ottawa was desperate to sign Tommy Smith, but Toronto, which held his rights, considered him too good to set a price tag on:

Ottawa Citizen said:
Smith is anxious to play hockey, if the Ontarios refuse to trade or sell him, he will have to play with the Toronto team. Tommie, with that bullet like shot, would undoubtedly be a great addition to the Ottawa team. They needed a scorer last year, and would be the one best bet for the championship with Smith added to their squad.
The players are pushing hard to get Tommie Smith on the team. He is not only a brilliant team-mate, but with opposing teams, he generally does he best to beat Ottawa and generally succeeds. It is said that the Ottawans once offered Smith $800 for the whole season. He smiled and replied to the generous bid by signing with Quebec. Since then, he has always been a thorn in the side of the Senators.
Ottawa Citizen - Google News Archive Search

Single game quote about Punch Broadbent failing to check Tommy Smith. Smith is listed as "wing" in this game
The Toronto World said:
Broadbent just could not hold Tommy Smith... T Smith and Joe Malone starred for Quebec but both appeared "under wraps" in the third.
The Toronto World - Google News Archive Search

Mentioned with Joe Malone, Newsy Lalonde and "other ace snipers" decades after he retired:

The Ottawa Citizen said:
(article discusses the need to research NHA statistics, starting with Frank Nighbor)... along that route some startling figures would be unearthed or un-iced and they would have reference to Joe Malone, "Newsy" Lalonde, Tommy Smith and other ace snipers. These were probably the most prolific scorers ever developed and they did their tallying in an era when it was very dangerous business to come close grips with hard hitting defensemen.
Ottawa Citizen - Google News Archive Search

Contradictory but largely bad quotes about his defensive play

Quebec-based paper praising Smith's all-round game:
Quebec Chronicle - Jan. 2 said:
Tommy Smith was good both on attack and defence and is one of the best all around players on the team.
(via Hockey Historysis)

Quebec Chronicle - Jan. 20 said:
[Tommy] Smith, unlike his brother Harry, is a speed merchant and is always in the thick of the fray.
(via Hockey Historysis)

Quebec-based paper criticizing Smith's lack of backchecking (he played LW in this game):
The Daily Telegraph said:
Tommy Smith got in some nice tricky rushes, but it is regrettable that he does not check back as Jack Marks and Joe Malone do.
The Daily Telegraph - Google News Archive Search

Smith criticized for loafing by an opposing team's paper:

Toronto Star - Feb. 9 said:
[Tommy] Smith, while he loafs almost all the time, never fails to be on the job for a pass, and his shooting is a feature of the forward line.
(via Hockey Historysis)

Toronto Star - Feb. 12 said:
Tommy [Smith] was always ready to join in any Quebec rush if some one else would carry the puck three-quarters of the way up the rink to where he was usually loafing.
(via Hockey Historysis)

Smith called a "champion loafer" in passing by that same paper:

The Toronto World said:
Quebec, who trimmed the Canadiens handily on Wednesday night, play the Torontos at the Arena New Year's night. The Ancient City outfit are big favorites here and combine nicely at all times. Tommy Smith, champion loafer, is captain of the Quebec team.
The Toronto World - Google News Archive Search

Hockey Historysis' interpretation:

To a certain degree we can attribute the Quebec opinion to homerism; however, in the same respect we can attribute the Toronto opinion to anti-homerism, if you will, or beating up on opposing players while dressing up your own. So the truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

My interpretation is that Smith had some defensive skill, but did not use it all the time, as a tactical decision. He was most valuable on offence, so did not spend too much energy on defence. However, both when in Quebec and Moncton, at least, he was noted for always being in the thick of it. I interpret that to mean that while he did not necessarily backcheck, he was an aggressive forechecker.

Another interpretation: Smith was a fine all-round paper in 1912-13, but became a "loafer" for the next few years.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Thanks for those, @nabby12.

I was a bit taken aback seeing Joe Hall winning a Bulldogs popularity contest - looks like I missed that in his ATD bio. It surprised me because a few months ago I'd found a very similar poll conducted two years earlier by the Bulldogs, in which Paddy Moran won, by about 500 more votes than Joe Malone - and Joe Hall finished dead last with only 22 votes! The Evening Mail in Halifax had the following opinion on the poll:

The Evening Mail - 13 November 1912 said:
Quebec has DULY HONORED her great veterans, Paddy Moran, held by many to be the best goal-minder in the world. Paddy Moran is no 'chiken' [sic] but he's a lively one still. He led the champs in a popular vote - and certainly is one BIG NOISE in the 'Rock City.'' Always with hosts of friends, Moran is idolized by his followers and respected by all. In passing, it is worthy of note that the name of Joe Hall (who has won the none too commendable title of 'dirty') stood at the foot of the poll - which goes all the more forcefully to say that, after all, the fans bank on the clean player.

Either the Ancient City quickly learned to appreciate Joe's 'dirty' style, or he seriously cleaned his entire act up.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Tommy Smith's leading the FAHL in goals is, while true, somewhat deceptive; he scored 9 of his 13 (by my count) goals in the last game of the season.

Unfortunately, I don't have much insight into his play, as the FAHL was not covered in very much detail once the Wanderers and Ottawa HC jumped ship. He gets some acknowledgments as one of the Victorias' better players in a couple games, and this quote-

The entire Ottawa line shared honors equally, if anything Smith, a younger brother of the Smiths on the Stanley Cup Holders, being more conspicuous. He is a desperately aggressive fellow on the wing and shoots like a demon

He also played 3 games in the ECAHA that year; not a ton there, but-

T. Smith, who replaced Harry Smith, did not shine during the first half but made good in fine style in the second and throughout played most effectively although he took the bench too frequently

Harry Smith took a rest Saturday so as to ensure his condition for the big contest of the present week. He was replaced by his brother Tom, who put up a hard fearless game

I'm intrigued by the idea that Tommy Smith wasn't always a loafer, but I'd need to see more evidence of that.

Thanks for those, @nabby12.

I was a bit taken aback seeing Joe Hall winning a Bulldogs popularity contest - looks like I missed that in his ATD bio. It surprised me because a few months ago I'd found a very similar poll conducted two years earlier by the Bulldogs, in which Paddy Moran won, by about 500 more votes than Joe Malone - and Joe Hall finished dead last with only 22 votes! The Evening Mail in Halifax had the following opinion on the poll:

Either the Ancient City quickly learned to appreciate Joe's 'dirty' style, or he seriously cleaned his entire act up.
Hark, a 1912 reference of Paddy Moran as the best goaltender in the world!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Tommy Smith's leading the FAHL in goals is, while true, somewhat deceptive; he scored 9 of his 13 (by my count) goals in the last game of the season.

Unfortunately, I don't have much insight into his play, as the FAHL was not covered in very much detail once the Wanderers and Ottawa HC jumped ship. He gets some acknowledgments as one of the Victorias' better players in a couple games, and this quote-

He also played 3 games in the ECAHA that year; not a ton there, but-

I'm intrigued by the idea that Tommy Smith wasn't always a loafer, but I'd need to see more evidence of that.

Hark, a 1912 reference of Paddy Moran as the best goaltender in the world!

There's been more negative written about Smith's defensive play than most players of the era, so I think it's pretty safe to assume he was quite the loafer a lot of the time (I know Iain Fyffe defended him, but Iain defends a lot of players from that era). That said, Smith's goal scoring is really really good at this point. 26-29 year old Smith handily outscoring 22-25 year old Joe Malone on the same team is a pretty big deal.

You have me ready to vote for Moran as soon as he appears, but I still think it's time for the two goalies available now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad