Top 5 (22 and under): NJD vs MTL vs DET vs OTT vs BUF vs ANA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best

• NJD: J.Hughes-Holtz-Mercer-L.Hughes-Nemec

• MTL: Suzuki-Caufield-Slafkovsky-Dach-Guhle

• DET: Raymond-Berggren-Seider-Edvinsson-Cossa(G)

• OTT: Stutzle-Tkachuk-Greig-Pinto-Sanderson

• BUF: Cozens-Quinn-Krebs-Power-Dahlin

• ANA: Zegras-McTavish-Drysdale-Mintyukov-Zellweger

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Never understood the hate between Devils and Sens fans in recent years. Both have been budget teams, Both had to be clever and do some off the wall things to even get close to or win the cup. Both have seen star players walk to brighter shores.

We really should just bee in group therapy drinking coffee and eating donuts.:thumbu:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Never understood the hate between Devils and Sens fans in recent years. Both have been budget teams, Both had to be clever and do some off the wall things to even get close to or win the cup. Both have seen star players walk to brighter shores.

We really should just bee in group therapy drinking coffee and eating donuts.:thumbu:
Yep its been since the team was brought back here in Ottawa....Broke ownership that promised the moon ,but never delivered...Things are however starting to change and maybe just maybe we can actually get a team that can spend with the rest of the league

NJ Devil

Jul 22, 2022

Devils ownership now is one of the richest. Spending power is no longer an issue for NJ, whereas that is still to be determined with Ottawa and what happens with Melnyk's estate.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I had Tkachuk 9th overall in 2018 before the draft, so nah, theres no jealousy or hate lol.

I think he's a fine player and in hindsight I wish the Habs did draft him because thats clearly what they wanted (A ready made player to compete now) but I think it's not unfair to saw all these guys have higher upside than him.

He's a high-end 2nd liner, low end first liner, it's not like he's Sidney Crosby. I know what he brings is valuable but its unclear how valuable it really is.

He was already top60 forward in scoring. Most likely half of prospect listed here wont ever reach his current level.

Reactions: Xspyrit

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Yes, I would personally like to compare a top-15 for 25 y/o and under (U-26)

Tim Stutzle (20)
Josh Norris (23)
Alex DeBrincat (24)
Drake Batherson (24)
Brady Tkachuk (22)
Shane Pinto (21)
Ridly Greig (19)
Alex Formenton (22)

Thomas Chabot (25)
Jake Sanderson (20)
Jacob Bernard-Docker (22)
Lassi Thomson (21)
Erik Brannstrom (22)
Tyler Kleven (20)

Mads Sogaard (21)

What would be the Sabres top-15? (8 forwards, 6 D-men and 1 goalie)

I didn't want to try and rank them since most of them are younger and just about everyone listed including the older guys have some uncertainty as to how good they will be, so just went by age for those on or most likely to be on this years NHL roster and then our recent draft picks to keep an eye on. Plenty of depth with 3 2nds in this upcoming draft.

F
Olofsson (27) *Longer term future with Sabres uncertain
Tuch (26) *Above 25 also but part of the core and young enough
Thompson (24)
Mittelstadt (23)
Krebs (21)
Cozens (21)
Quinn (20)
Peterka (20)
-----------------

Savoie (9th)
Ostlund (16th)
Kulich (28th)
Neuchev (74th)
Richard (170th)

Rosen (14th)
Poltopov (33th)
Kisakov (53th)
Bloom (95th)
Nadeau (97th)

Huglen (102nd)
Cederqvist (143rd)
Rousek (160th)
--------------------

D
Jokiharju (23)
Dahlin (22)
Samuelsson (22)
Power (19)
--------------------

Lindgren (106th)
Komarov (134th)

Novikov (188th)

Johnson (31st)
--------------------

G
UPL
--------------------

Leinonen (41st)

Portillo (67th)

Trade
Levi (most upside right now of the goalies I think)

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Nick Suzuki has to be up there for the most overrated player in hockey. Paced 60 pts in 2020-21 (41 pts in 56 games), then has 16 pts in 22 games for their big playoff run that same year which is also a 60pts pace. And then this year has 61 pts in 82 games... he's still young and very good and could reach that PPG 1C status but its very unlikely. I get why people like him, he's creative, very intelligent, lots of Puck skill and is a responsible player. People in this thread are already acting like he's a ppg two way monster which isn't true when he hasn't demonstrated that yet in his career.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Hes about to turn 23 and most players have completed the majority of their development and is close to his prime even if 23 is still young. Were getting close to that territory of "he is what he is". Although I don't blame habs fans for being excited to see what he can do with a full year or martin st louis behind the bench.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yes, I would personally like to compare a top-15 for 25 y/o and under (U-26)

Thomas Chabot (25)
Jake Sanderson (20)
Jacob Bernard-Docker (22)
Lassi Thomson (21)
Erik Brannstrom (22)
Tyler Kleven (20)

Mads Sogaard (21)
This is where the Sens look pretty weak. They have a deep forward group though so realistically they can trade for defensive help.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I didn't want to try and rank them since most of them are younger and just about everyone listed including the older guys have some uncertainty as to how good they will be, so just went by age for those on or most likely to be on this years NHL roster and then our recent draft picks to keep an eye on. Plenty of depth with 3 2nds in this upcoming draft.

F
Olofsson (27) *Longer term future with Sabres uncertain
Tuch (26) *Above 25 also but part of the core and young enough
Thompson (24)
Mittelstadt (23)
Krebs (21)
Cozens (21)
Quinn (20)
Peterka (20)
-----------------

Savoie (9th)
Ostlund (16th)
Kulich (28th)
Neuchev (74th)
Richard (170th)

Rosen (14th)
Poltopov (33th)
Kisakov (53th)
Bloom (95th)
Nadeau (97th)

Huglen (102nd)
Cederqvist (143rd)
Rousek (160th)
--------------------

D
Jokiharju (23)
Dahlin (22)
Samuelsson (22)
Power (19)
--------------------

Lindgren (106th)
Komarov (134th)

Novikov (188th)

Johnson (31st)
--------------------

G
UPL
--------------------

Leinonen (41st)

Portillo (67th)

Trade
Levi (most upside right now of the goalies I think)

Thanks for that but I was looking for a Top-15 (8 forwards, 6 D-men and 1 goalie) of the best assets 25 y/o and under

If you can't do that it's ok. Would this make sense?

Matthew Savoie (18)
Jack Quinn (20)
Dylan Cozens (21)
Peyton Krebs (21)
JJ Peterka (20)
Casey Mittelstadt (23)
Noah Ostlund (18)
Rasmus Asplund (24)

Rasmus Dahlin (22)
Owen Power (19)
Mattias Samuelsson (22)
Henri Jokiharju (23)
Jacob Bryson (24)
Ryan Johnson (21)

Devon Levi (20)

This is where the Sens look pretty weak. They have a deep forward group though so realistically they can trade for defensive help.

You want to paint yourself in the corner again with these takes after how it turned out in that thread from 2 years ago? I'm always ready to play :)

But you're right that the defense is still the weakness and is nowhere near as proven as the forward group, although I'm not sure if you know about its potential

Thomas Chabot (25) : 2-way force who will get more recognition if he finally gets some help
Artem Zub (26) : he's too "old" for the current discussion but pretty good defensive RD
Jake Sanderson (20) : I think he's going to be a major stud, a Slavin type
Jacob Bernard-Docker (22) : I see him becoming a lesser version of Jonas Brodin, on a 2nd pairing
Lassi Thomson (21) : I doubted him for 2 years but has shown really impressing progress since he came back to NA and played in the AHL
Erik Brannstrom (22) : expectations were probably way too high but has been progressing well. 27 pts in his last 83 GP (at 21-22 y/o), is already pretty good at PPQB. Was impressive in several games last season, even earned 23+ mins in 9 games
Tyler Kleven (20) : great size/mobility package, hits like a truck, pretty hard shot, underrated because of pre-draft reports but Nick Fohr has raved about the guy potential before, and he has progressed pretty well in College so far. Was always going to be a long term project. This guy kinda makes Brannstrom expendable because LD could/should be Chabot-Sanderson-Kleven for years. So eventually :

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Bernard-Docker
Kleven - Thomson

There's also a few more guys to track like Maxence Guenette and the recent draftees Hamara and Nordberg. Note that I haven't mentioned recent 2nd round picks Jonny Tychonick (bust IMO) and Benjamin Roger (don't see NHL potential yet)

Mads Sogaard (21) : They see the 6'7 athletic kid as the goalie of the future and traded Filip Gustavsson because they felt confident in that. I haven't been as high on a Sens goalie prospect since Robin Lehner

I'm really not a Dorion fan so I'd wish he would have built the back-end first but the potential is definitely there. The fact that they built the forward group first despite a defense taking longer is probably why an external fan could see it as "pretty weak" but it is NOT.

Keep in mind you had guys like Veleno and Rasmussen above Norris, Batherson, tec despite what I was trying to tell you.

Last edited:

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Thanks for that but I was looking for a Top-15 (8 forwards, 6 D-men and 1 goalie) of the best assets 25 y/o and under

If you can't do that it's ok. Would this make sense?

Matthew Savoie (18)
Jack Quinn (20)
Dylan Cozens (21)
Peyton Krebs (21)
JJ Peterka (20)
Casey Mittelstadt (23)
Noah Ostlund (18)
Rasmus Asplund (24)

Rasmus Dahlin (22)
Owen Power (19)
Mattias Samuelsson (22)
Henri Jokiharju (23)
Jacob Bryson (24)
Ryan Johnson (21)

Devon Levi (20)

More or less looks good.

Maybe move Quinn and Peterka up a spot. Swap Asplund for Thompson for sure, though it also feels wrong to leave Kulich out.

Probably put Johnson above Bryson and maybe even swap him for Lindgren.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I don’t think « weak » is fair but I don’t disagree that It’s a relative weakness.

I think that group looks like 2 top pair guys in Chabot and Sanderson. Then I think Thomson and JBD top out as #4 guys, I personally prefer Lassi because of the flashy skills. Kleven and Brannstrom are likely bottom pair who have enough skills to move up as a complementary 4s to someone with a different and much higher skillset. I hope one of the 4 (or maybe Nordberg) proves me wrong, becomes a stalwart #3 and @Xspyrit necro bumps me in 3 years.

Still decent mind you but definitely not as good as the forward group.

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think having two franchise pillars on the blueline is too hard to pass up. Buffalo gets my vote, followed closely behind by Ottawa.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don’t think « weak » is fair but I don’t disagree that It’s a relative weakness.

I think that group looks like 2 top pair guys in Chabot and Sanderson. Then I think Thomson and JBD top out as #4 guys, I personally prefer Lassi because of the flashy skills. Kleven and Brannstrom are likely bottom pair who have enough skills to move up as a complementary 4s to someone with a different and much higher skillset. I hope one of the 4 (or maybe Nordberg) proves me wrong, becomes a stalwart #3 and @Xspyrit necro bumps me in 3 years.

Still decent mind you but definitely not as good as the forward group.

I’m not as optimistic about Thomson and JBD.

We have one top pairing guy, one promising prospect, one stalwart defensive defenceman and a bunch of meh.

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’m not as optimistic about Thomson and JBD.

We have one top pairing guy, one promising prospect, one stalwart defensive defenceman and a bunch of meh.

You may well be right. I’d still rather have the top two guys in the system and figure out the rest than a group with a lot of depth but no quality.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nick Suzuki has to be up there for the most overrated player in hockey. Paced 60 pts in 2020-21 (41 pts in 56 games), then has 16 pts in 22 games for their big playoff run that same year which is also a 60pts pace. And then this year has 61 pts in 82 games... he's still young and very good and could reach that PPG 1C status but its very unlikely. I get why people like him, he's creative, very intelligent, lots of Puck skill and is a responsible player. People in this thread are already acting like he's a ppg two way monster which isn't true when he hasn't demonstrated that yet in his career.
Well if you ignore that he was on the worst team in the league and had literally no offensive support until Caufield came along, I guess that makes sense.

Also he had 60 points this year while getting a 40 points pace under Ducharme, just like every single player on the team. If Ducharme wasnt here Nick and Cole both get 70, if not more.

You're right, what you see is what you get. The problem is that youre not seeing the right thing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
More or less looks good.

Maybe move Quinn and Peterka up a spot. Swap Asplund for Thompson for sure, though it also feels wrong to leave Kulich out.

Probably put Johnson above Bryson and maybe even swap him for Lindgren.

Completely forgot Tage Thomson, he's still in the age range, looks even better with him. I'd put him at the top for now, he had 38 goals and near 70 pts last season

Kulich is "just a 28th OA pick" for now, it's a bit early to have him as a top-8 organization forward, unless Sabres fans think he's a more important piece of the future than Ostlund or Mittelstadt?

And regarding Lindgren, he's also just a 4th round pick for now while Bryson plays in the NHL. When I made that Sens u-26 Top-15 ranking, I couldn't include all Sens prospects, notably Roby Jarventie and Tyler Boucher

So based on all this :

Tage Thompson (24)
Jack Quinn (20)
Matthew Savoie (18)
Dylan Cozens (21)
JJ Peterka (20)
Peyton Krebs (21)
Casey Mittelstadt (23)
Noah Ostlund (18)

Rasmus Dahlin (22)
Owen Power (19)
Mattias Samuelsson (22)
Henri Jokiharju (23)
Ryan Johnson (21)
Jacob Bryson (24)

Devon Levi (20)

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Well if you ignore that he was on the worst team in the league and had literally no offensive support until Caufield came along, I guess that makes sense.

Also he had 60 points this year while getting a 40 points pace under Ducharme, just like every single player on the team. If Ducharme wasnt here Nick and Cole both get 70, if not more.

You're right, what you see is what you get. The problem is that youre not seeing the right thing

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
He was on pretty decent teams in 2019-20, 2020-21. I find that the quality of linemates argument for him specifically to be weak considering he was on a cup finalist team not even 2 years ago. Played with Caufield then too. Also even with Ducharme he played the toughest minutes on forward. I'm not convinced yet that he can ppg player under MSL for a full year. Like I said. Very nice toolkit, hasn't shown that he can be a ppg two way monster and the clock is ticking. Doesnt have lots of time left until he just "is what he is" which is an excellent 2C or low end 1C.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
This was an Athletic U23 ranking from January. Sens had 6 players in the Top-62

10. Tkachuk
11. Stutzle
17. Sanderson
23. Norris
59. Pinto
62. Formenton

My ranking would have been different though (Stutzle, Sanderson, Norris, Tkachuk, Greig, Pinto, and Formenton later down). Batherson was 23, Chabot and DeBrincat were already 24 so ineligible

Caufield at 79 is legitimately bad enough the athletic should have suspended Pronman or moved him to another position :laugh:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Caufield at 79 is legitimately bad enough the athletic should have suspended Pronman or moved him to another position :laugh:

Jan 12, 2022

Important to read the dates. Caufield's stock had dropped a lot at that time so I can't blame anybody underrating him a little. I mean, being a top-80 u-23 NHL player is not a bad thing

And none of these rankings will ever be perfect, of course.

For example, Formenton's skating is "Above NHL average" when it's clearly "Elite"

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't know why, but I'm voting for the Ducks.
I hate Anaheim.
I've still yet to forgive them for the Pronger trade.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Jan 12, 2022

Important to read the dates. Caufield's stock had dropped a lot at that time so I can't blame anybody underrating him a little. I mean, being a top-80 u-23 NHL player is not a bad thing

And none of these rankings will ever be perfect, of course.

For example, Formenton's skating is "Above NHL average" when it's clearly "Elite"
the date makes me think even less of Pronman lol. It shows he is a follower he doesn't watch the players he follows trends and makes guesses off what everyone else is saying. I refuse to believe actual scouts and important hockey people would let that shitshow of a start change their view on Caufield.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
the date makes me think even less of Pronman lol. It shows he is a follower he doesn't watch the players he follows trends and makes guesses off what everyone else is saying. I refuse to believe actual scouts and important hockey people would let that shitshow of a start change their view on Caufield.

He's not a follower because he's not as high on Caufield as Habs fans are lol. I have been in Montreal for 30+ years, how many Caufields do you think I have seen pass here? At least for this one, the hype was partially deserved.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Why are people acting like Dahlin is bad defensively and soft lmao? Are you guys even watching hockey or are you just debating on HFboards? This is insane. Dahlin is the 2nd most talented defender in the league. Hes a complete package and is the only thing thats gonna keep Makar from beating Lidstroms Norris count.

Makar
Dahlin
Byram
Nemec/Power/Seider
Did you forget Adam Fox exists?

Reactions: Razor Face

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad