Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Pretty easy choice I think in Ghost. Stolaz and Cousins should be a close battle.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Ghost... He just needs to gain weight and keep gaining experience. He hasn't played anywhere near the amount of hockey as most other prospects. His skill level is super intriguing, though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers consider Ghost a blue chip prospect, so I don't think the middle-rung description is accurate.

Gostisbehere had a good year but he was also playing in a middle-tier league in the NCAA. He may turn out to be good but I want to see him actually play against top competition in the AHL before I start labeling him as a blue-chip prospect.

I still voted him #4 over Cousins because the potential though. I would have Cousins at #6 on my list.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The Flyers consider Ghost a blue chip prospect, so I don't think the middle-rung description is accurate.

I would agree with this. Cousins just doesn't have the potential Ghost has. Anyone voting Cousins is misguided.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Ghost had a good year but he was also playing in a middle-tier league in the NCAA. He may turn out to be good but I want to see him actually play against top competition in the AHL before I start labeling him as a blue-chip prospect.

The ECAC is a little better than you're giving it credit for. But in any event, Ghost showed tons of skill and potential at World Juniors. He just fell out of favor with the coaching staff late in the tournament with his suspension and undisciplined penalties.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Gostisbehere had a good year but he was also playing in a middle-tier league in the NCAA. He may turn out to be good but I want to see him actually play against top competition in the AHL before I start labeling him as a blue-chip prospect.

I still voted him #4 over Cousins because the potential though. I would have Cousins at #6 on my list.

I am trying to find the article, but Anthony SanFilippo in one of his articles on Flyers.com mentioned they see him that way. That is the only reason I am saying that. He is viewed very highly by the Flyers, regardless of where he plays. He has the tools and is coming along nicely, he deserves the title blue chipper.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676082

Adding Morin and Hagg along with last year’s third round pick Shayne Gostisbehere, a slick, puck-moving defenseman, the Flyers have three top tier defensive prospects, and five more in a more long-term development stage. Not bad.

He says top tier not Blue chipper. But the fact remains the same, the Flyers really think highly of the kid.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The ECAC is a little better than you're giving it credit for. But in any event, Ghost showed tons of skill and potential at World Juniors. He just fell out of favor with the coaching staff late in the tournament with his suspension and undisciplined penalties.

It's not the best level of competition in the NCAA, it's not terrible neither but there's no Minnesota's, BC's, or Boston U's in it. As for the World Juniors he looked good but he also was paired with Seth Jones a lot of the tournament. As for getting benched that's his own fault not the coaches.

I'm not trying to downgrade the guy but I wouldn't call him a blue-chip prospect just yet. I like his potential but that's all he is at this point. I want to see Gostisbehere at least play in the AHL & see how he handles it before I call him that.

At least Hagg & Morin played in stronger leagues than Gostisbehere and I wouldn't call neither of them blue-chip prospects just yet either.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Yes, the term blue chip is way too strong. But calling him a middle-rung guy, like Cousins, isn't giving him enough credit.

I put Stolarz well above Cousins as well. Again, his upside is just far greater.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Yes, the term blue chip is way too strong. But calling him a middle-rung guy, like Cousins, isn't giving him enough credit.

I put Stolarz well above Cousins as well. Again, his upside is just far greater.

He's not a top-3 prosect, even in one of the weaker systems in the NHL. That puts him outside the NHL's top-100 prospects. That would be middle-rung in my book. How many top tier prospects do you think belong to NHL systems right now? The top ~120 seems like a very generous definition of "top tier" to me.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I wouldn't neither. Gostisbehere has #2-4 potential to me. Despite his claims not to I see him signing a deal this summer & spending the next year after that in Adirondack.

A blue-chipper to me is someone who has multiple good/great years under his belt and is on the cusp of making the NHL. Gostisbehere doesn't fit that description right now.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
4. Ghost
5. Cousins
6. Stolarz

Are my picks

How do you NOT have MAB in there? He's actually proven to be able to play at the NHL level in a very good capacity. Personally, I don't think MAB should be considered a "prospect" anymore but he is included in this list.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How do you NOT have MAB in there? He's actually proven to be able to play at the NHL level in a very good capacity. Personally, I don't think MAB should be considered a "prospect" anymore but he is included in this list.

Well for starters you said it yourself that he shouldn't even be considered a prospect & there's no guarantee he'll ever be able to play in the NHL again after the concussions. While he was decent during his time he was a bottom pairing defensemen nothing more than that.

If we were using games played & how they faired in them as a measurement Bourdon, McGinn, Lauridsen, & Manning would be near the top. :laugh:

SchennSational1022*

A 78th overall pick in 2012 suddenly became a blue-chipper based on one tourney and a strong season at Union? I doubt 29 other teams would agree with that assessment.

Lol thanks for that, probably the dumbest thing Ive read all day. The Flyers have some of the best eyes for talent, regardless of what you or any other annoying, pessimistic fan says. Ghost is a blue chipper, he has shown at the levels hes played at his skill and potential. He already has an NHL quality shot, and while his defensive game needs work, he has offensive tools you cant teach. The only thing holding him back is his size. Just because he wasnt drafted in the first round doesnt mean dick. His play improved leaps and bounds.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lol thanks for that, probably the dumbest thing Ive read all day. The Flyers have some of the best eyes for talent, regardless of what you or any other annoying, pessimistic fan says. Ghost is a blue chipper, he has shown at the levels hes played at his skill and potential. He already has an NHL quality shot, and while his defensive game needs work, he has offensive tools you cant teach. The only thing holding him back is his size. Just because he wasnt drafted in the first round doesnt mean dick. His play improved leaps and bounds.

There's being pessimistic & then there's being a complete homer. This post falls under the latter.

Btw he was drafted in the 3rd round on his second year of being draft eligible. I don't know many players that are drafted like that & quickly turn into a blue-chipper after a good year of hockey.

He may turn into a blue-chipper but its way too premature right now to call him one like its a definite.

Last edited:

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia

Completely obnoxious.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad