Too Many Left Defensemen in the system

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Kind of surprising with Sebrango.
We've got too many defensemen. Yzerman is clogging this shit up.
Time to make trades.
NHL
Chiarot
Maatta
Walman
Hagg
--
Minor Pro
Edvinsson
McIsaac
Johansson
Sebrango
Viro
------
On the way yet
Wallinder
Buium

Might be worth waiving Hagg, hoping someone claims him, and then calling up McIsaac and letting him play every once in awhile to get a sense if he's worth keeping- or maybe showcase him for a trade.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

Kind of surprising with Sebrango.
We've got too many defensemen. Yzerman is clogging this shit up.
Time to make trades.
NHL
Chiarot
Maatta
Walman
Hagg
--
Minor Pro
Edvinsson
McIsaac
Johansson
Sebrango
Viro
------
On the way yet
Wallinder
Buium

Might be worth waiving Hagg, hoping someone claims him, and then calling up McIsaac and letting him play every once in awhile to get a sense if he's worth keeping- or maybe showcase him for a trade.

No such thing as too much. Not having "too much" is how you get Ouellet, Sproul, and Marchenko. This logjam will filter those guys out.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
No such thing as too much. Not having "too much" is how you get Ouellet, Sproul, and Marchenko. This logjam will filter those guys out.
This. Of the bevy of defensemen listed, only three are sure-fire NHLers, with two more in Hagg (kinda sucks) and Edvinsson (has yet to debut) on the edge. And there's a path for Edvinsson.

There's really no problem. The younger guys will sort themselves out. If any of them are future NHLers, they'll rise to the top eventually, at which point space will either be made for them, or they'll be traded.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
You forgot Lashoff :laugh:

I think both Edvinsson and Johansson can play the right side just fine, IIRC. I don't think we have a too many LD problem, moreso just a too many defenseman under contract period, problem.
Wallinder can play the right side, he's been doing it his entire career..

Absolutely nothing wrong, In having an over abundance of LD. But we do need to start drafting RHD as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sending them down might be more about fixing Toledo than anything else. Can't afford to ruin Cossa by getting him shelled.

Plus Sebrango might be able to develop a little more offense at a lower level.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Having "too many" guys is not a good problem when guys need playing time to develop.
If they’re good enough (Raymond, Larkin, Seider), they will push into the lineup. Otherwise; they can do what rookies have done forever and show some skill or trait in practice/preseason that forces the team’s hand. A la Sean Avery on the 01-02 Wings.

Reactions: SoupNazi

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If they’re good enough (Raymond, Larkin, Seider), they will push into the lineup. Otherwise; they can do what rookies have done forever and show some skill or trait in practice/preseason that forces the team’s hand. A la Sean Avery on the 01-02 Wings.

All it takes is the preference of one coach to derail a career.
Or, when you have too many LDs, 2-3 careers.

People lose in numbers games, and Yzerman's numbers game is jacked.

McIsaac is getting close to the waiver age.
Does Sebrango get any extra waiver eligibility since his first AHL years were COVID-related?
The fact that we've got two defense who just came out of the WJCs playing in the ECHL is evidence of that.

If you refuse to make decisions, the choice makes you.
Stevie should make some determinations on LD and swap to fill holes in other positions.

By position in the minors.
C: Criscuolo, Andreasson
LW: Hanas, Hirose, Smith
RW:
LD: Edvinsson, Sebrango, Viro, Johansson, McIsaac
RD: Kampfere, Barton, Newpower
G: Cossa, Olkinoura, Brattstrom

Looking forward to next year, who might we see?
LW: Mazur
C: Lombardi, Niederbach
LD; Wallinder (I think Buium goes back)
G: Gylander

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Does Sebrango get any extra waiver eligibility since his first AHL years were COVID-related?
The fact that we've got two defense who just came out of the WJCs playing in the ECHL is evidence of that.

Stevie should make some determinations on LD and swap to fill holes in other positions.

RW:

Kampfer is UFA, as is Crisco and Jussi

For the Wings, Walman, Oesterle, Pysyk, Hagg, and Maatta are all UFA. I want Matta back. Walman can be evaluated later in the season, not sure if his current play is a fluke or if he was playing injured last season.

If the team needs space, they can just let Newpower and/or Barton go, and play a lefty on the right side. They might as well get accustomed to it. Besides, it's not like any of them have trade value aside from Edvinsson, and so far he's the only one showing NHL potential.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Come on man, Don't get all perveted.
This thread is for people who like Good D.

So not @Bench 's wife.

micdrop.gif

I'll see myself out.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

RW:

And of those guys you list, you make sure that you have room for Edvinsson and Cossa. Because they’ve proven they have elite skill sets. The other guys? They gotta prove something to you that they deserve the slot over the other guys. They should compete for the small number of openings instead of you shuffling them around. I know it’s hockey future forums… but honestly, I could not possibly care less if Donovan Sebrango or Viro or McIsaac gets caught in the numbers game and doesn’t make it with the Wings if he’s a third pairing/7th D. I just care that one of the three does. (E: does make it as a 3rd pair/7th D, for clarification)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Flying Octopus

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Viro is my pick for the eventual Seider partner that works.
The kid that literally got sent to Toledo yesterday is your pick to be first pair D for the Wings?!?!

That's so hilarious, I'm not even gonna bet. I'll buy you a 6 pack of whatever beer you want if that actually happens. (Limit $50 including shipping) Mark this post, I'm good for my word, unlike the 2 who decided create new accounts instead of following through on bets. (They were username bets)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's nice to have competition.

Also good to start to be able to see how they actually compare. Edvinsson & Johansson look (as expected) better than Viro/Sebrango.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
And of those guys you list, you make sure that you have room for Edvinsson and Cossa. Because they’ve proven they have elite skill sets. The other guys? They gotta prove something to you that they deserve the slot over the other guys. They should compete for the small number of openings instead of you shuffling them around. I know it’s hockey future forums… but honestly, I could not possibly care less if Donovan Sebrango or Viro or McIsaac gets caught in the numbers game and doesn’t make it with the Wings if he’s a third pairing/7th D. I just care that one of the three does. (E: does make it as a 3rd pair/7th D, for clarification)

I do care.
The Wings cared enough to sign them.
They saw value.
What? 40 percent of picks get signed?

Maximize opportunity.
If you have too many LD in the AHL, trade them for Cs or somewhere you have need.
1 - It improves the overall team - which improves development.
2 - It doesn't stifle good young players who need opportunity.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I do care.
The Wings cared enough to sign them.
They saw value.
What? 40 percent of picks get signed?

Maximize opportunity.
If you have too many LD in the AHL, trade them for Cs or somewhere you have need.
1 - It improves the overall team - which improves development.
2 - It doesn't stifle good young players who need opportunity.

If they're that good, they should make their own opportunities. I know, I know.. Coaches are mean ol' boogeymen that hold down this guys who would show something if they just got a chance. You EARN that chance and opportunity to develop by showing something that they want to develop in you.

And every other team is trying to give opportunities to their own guys. They want to play their own Donovan Sebrango instead of trading for an LD from the Wings. Seeing value doesn't mean that the player is entitled to an opportunity to see the value through. You have to keep pushing as a young player. That's what the Wings are doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad