Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well, that's on Babcock. He's the one that wanted Jurco on the team from the start then used him as a checking winger when his offense didn't get going. Jurco could have been in the AHL all season. Thankfully Babcock is gone.
Is this the first time Babcock has been blamed for playing a young guy TOO MUCH? Lol.

Seriously I do think it would have been better for Jurco to stay in the AHL a while longer (which I said before last season started and almost no one on this board agreed with me), but he did a solid job in that checking winger role so I understand why Babcock played him.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Is this the first time Babcock has been blamed for playing a young guy TOO MUCH? Lol.

Seriously I do think it would have been better for Jurco to stay in the AHL a while longer (which I said before last season started and almost no one on this board agreed with me), but he did a solid job in that checking winger role so I understand why Babcock played him.
At least Jurco should have been sent down during his dry spell to re-tool his scoring. It seemed to be a waste of talent playing him on the fourth line with a better-suited player like Ferraro still available.

Gruß,
BSHH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Beau Bennett just signed with Pittsburgh for 1-year, 800k.

He is quite good RFA contract comparable for Jurco, both have quite equal amount of games and also equal production.

Bennett, 96 games 10+23=33p (0.34 ppg)
Jurco, 99 games 11+22=33p (0.33 ppg)

Including playoffs:

Bennett, 116 games 12+27 = 39p (0.34 ppg)
Jurco, 109 games 12+23=35p (0.32 ppg)

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Beau Bennet just signed for 1-year, 800k.

He is a contract comparable for Jurco, both have quite equal amount of games and also equal production.

Bennett, 96 games 10+23=33p
Jurco, 99 games 11+22=33p

Funny that they have virtually the same production. I feel like most Pitt fans (maybe it's just my friend) are still pretty high on Beau, whereas it seems like most folks here have pretty much given up on Jurco.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Funny that they have virtually the same production. I feel like most Pitt fans (maybe it's just my friend) are still pretty high on Beau, whereas it seems like most folks here have pretty much given up on Jurco.

So true. If you put both of them up on the trade board, people would offer way more for Bennett. His perceived value is much higher among fans.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Another RFA comparable is Linden Vey from Vancouver Canucks. Vey signed 1-year deal with 1.0M earlier in the summer.

JP Pageau is another, he got 900k from Ottawa.

Vey, 91 games 10+19=29p (0.31 ppg)
Jurco, 99 games, 11+22=33p (0.33 ppg)
Pageau, 87 games, 14+11=25p (0.29 ppg)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=46980
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34751
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=28422
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45134

So this is the contract group Jurco is compared in. Kind of same aged, same experienced. 800k, 900k, 1M.

900k on average.

I predict Jurco's next contract is very near of this figure.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
Another RFA comparable is Linden Vey from Vancouver Canucks. Vey signed 1-year deal with 1.0M earlier in the summer.

JP Pageau is another, he got 900k from Ottawa.

Vey, 91 games 10+19=29p (0.31 ppg)
Jurco, 99 games, 11+22=33p (0.33 ppg)
Pageau, 87 games, 14+11=25p (0.29 ppg)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=46980
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34751
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=28422
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45134

So this is the contract group Jurco is compared in. Kind of same aged, same experienced. 800k, 900k, 1M.

900k on average.

I predict Jurco's next contract is very near of this figure.

He didn't accept qualifying offer for 805,875 $ and they are negotiating better terms. He would like a little raise, but he knows that he won't get 1 mil. because both Tatar and Nyquist didn't get it either. He said, that he expects to be signed in one week (interview was on 7/14).

full interview in slovak: https://translate.google.sk/transla...-jurco-si-chce-prilepsit-no-milion-to-nebude/

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Beau Bennett just signed with Pittsburgh for 1-year, 800k.

He is quite good RFA contract comparable for Jurco, both have quite equal amount of games and also equal production.

Bennett, 96 games 10+23=33p (0.34 ppg)
Jurco, 99 games 11+22=33p (0.33 ppg)

Including playoffs:

Bennett, 116 games 12+27 = 39p (0.34 ppg)
Jurco, 109 games 12+23=35p (0.32 ppg)

Jurco's contract will definitely be similar to Bennet's. I think Jurco's value is higher though. He is almost a full year younger and hasn't been as injury prone, and he's also shown that he can at least carve out a role as a 4th line grinder if nothing else. They're both entering important seasons in terms of their career path though.

might be something lost in translation but doesn't exactly sound like he loves it here and really wants to be here over everything else..
Well he's in the middle of contract negotiations and is trying to get as favorable a deal as possible. As such he probably shouldn't be gushing about how much he loves Detroit and how he doesn't want to go anywhere else. Also most of these european players are a bit more honest and forthcoming when doing interviews in their home countries. Less clicheés and more real answers.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I just think people are tempering their expectations as Jurco did not have a good season last year.

He is young and can improve, but there was a lot of hype surrounding him heading into last season, and it turned into bleh.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I just think people are tempering their expectations as Jurco did not have a good season last year.

He is young and can improve, but there was a lot of hype surrounding him heading into last season, and it turned into bleh.

I am going to wait to see how he does under Blashill before giving up on him

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm hoping that Jurco will excel under Blashill this year. He has the chance to be very special.
I don't think coaching necessarily has the biggest part to play in whether Jurco can improve or not. It's up to him. There's not much that Blashill can do to put him in a better situation than Babcock did. Powerplay time, playing with Datsyuk at times, he got plenty of opportunity. Like you I think Jurco has potential to be a special player. It's way, way, way too soon to give up on him. But he's one of the guys I'll be watching most closely in training camp and early in the season, because it was obvious early on last season that he was struggling. This year he needs to remember to bring his hands on the flight to michigan. He needs to play himself into a position to be on a scoring line.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't think coaching necessarily has the biggest part to play in whether Jurco can improve or not. It's up to him. There's not much that Blashill can do to put him in a better situation than Babcock did. Powerplay time, playing with Datsyuk at times, he got plenty of opportunity. Like you I think Jurco has potential to be a special player. It's way, way, way too soon to give up on him. But he's one of the guys I'll be watching most closely in training camp and early in the season, because it was obvious early on last season that he was struggling. This year he needs to remember to bring his hands on the flight to michigan. He needs to play himself into a position to be on a scoring line.

Agreed only time will tell, And like you said he has to want this bad himself really nothing that Blashill can do. But give him a chance during camp and hopefully he does better then he did at the beginning of camp last year. Even given the chance like you said when he played with Datsyuk he was still struggling to score. We all really want him to do well the same with Pulkkinen but only time will tell if either has what it takes to play in this league or not and I totally agree with you that jurco needs to bring his hands with him on the flight to Michigan. I think that both Jurco and Pulks needs to have a very good training camp this year and then we shall see from there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He didn't accept qualifying offer for 805,875 $ and they are negotiating better terms. He would like a little raise, but he knows that he won't get 1 mil. because both Tatar and Nyquist didn't get it either. He said, that he expects to be signed in one week (interview was on 7/14).

Wings have ~860k in cap room, and that 2-year former Nyquist 2-year deal had 850k salary for the first year. Same with Sheahan. It would fit nice in this current cap-scenario, taking a 1-year deal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Damn, 2-year should put us over the more than 925k... then we have to trade somebody or waive 2 players. Wouldn't mind if they are Miller and Kindl.

Brandel*

Damn, 2-year should put us over the more than 925k... then we have to trade somebody or waive 2 players. Wouldn't mind if they are Miller and Kindl.

"The raise is minimal (from 800k QO), it's difficult to speculate about major changes. The team gave the offer, and there's room to negotiate. It will only be a minor change. As I said, we're almost at the end."

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
‘Roughly Translated’: Tomas Jurco says he’ll sign a 2-year contract shortly

& other info regarding his role and some weird injury concern thing, not sure what that's about?

From the article:
"Definitely yes. Under Blashill, with whom I worked on the farm team, I was always in a role that I played all my life and that was fine with me. of course, it won't be as easy to get there in the NHL as the AHl, but the new coach knows what I am and the player I am doesn't need to try to make the fourth line. Things will certainly improve, there are things I'm good at and I don't need to learn a new role. I got that message."

Wow, pretty strong words from Jurco unless something was lost in translation.

Hopefully we'll see a lot less "square peg in round hole" type stuff from Blashill than we did from Babcock.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
860k with a 2-year deal would be like winning in a lottery for Ken Holland.

But I can't believe that cheap contract. Both Sheahan and Nyquist got 2-year deals where the first year is 850k and second year 1.05M.

That's in line what Jurco should get. But 2-year deal with 950k caphit would be a bigger problem than 1-year with 850k.

Oct 18, 2006

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Definitely concerning that Jurco feels a need to take a 2 year deal because of health, but I do like it if we can get him on a cheap 2-year contract. Hopefully the back thing isn't something that lingers for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad